Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

A celebration of Agave parryi

Fountain Hills, AZ(Zone 9b)

Another thread inspired this, intended to pay homage to A. parryi, a favorite of many. There are five named varieties, along with countless intergrades and at least two natural hybrids. The named varieties are:

A. parryi ssp. neomexicana
A. parryi ssp. parryi
A. parryi ssp. parryi v. couseii
A. parryi ssp. parryi v. huachucensis
A. parryi ssp. parryi v. truncata

The first pics show the v. truncata variety, not necessarily the most impressive of the group, but certainly the most popular, largely because they are gorgeous when small and available for sale. Other larger, more impressive versions aren't nearly this attractive when young.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2012 1:28 PM

Thumbnail by GermanStar Thumbnail by GermanStar

Next up is v. couseii, the smallest of the bunch. I have two examples, one of which has now recovered from a terrible Agave mite infestation (lesions are still visible).

Thumbnail by GermanStar Thumbnail by GermanStar

Then the largest of the bunch, v. huachucensis. I've had this plant three years now, and it still has a ways to go before it grows into genuine eye candy. Patience....

Thumbnail by GermanStar

Next up is my absolute favorite, a version rarely seen and vastly underused, ssp. parry v. parryi. It's still young, but will grow into a tight, round artichoke shape about twice the size of v. truncata within the next 2-3 years.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2012 1:09 PM

Thumbnail by GermanStar

Finally, ssp. neomexicana, easily confused with ssp. parryi v. couseii, but with more rigid, more concave leaves.

Thumbnail by GermanStar
Perth, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

They all look great but think my favourite is the neomexicana variety. Deadly looking spines on that one!

Thank you, no argument -- neomexicana is a favourite of a great many.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I saw a plant identified as A parryi var havardiana... is that its own species or was that sign completely off its mark? Here are some plants identified as A havardiana (can't find photo of that sign now).... these not an A parryi variety?

Thumbnail by palmbob

They're all members of the Parryanae group, but A. havardiana is considered a separate species.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.