Photo by Melody

Beginner Landscaping: Curly Willow, would like advice...

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 2, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9334352

I'm not sure where to post this. I used some curly willow twigs to help root hydrangea cuttings in water. Well, the hydrangeas did not root, but the willow twigs did. If I pot them up, where should I keep them during winter? They still have green leaves because they are indoors.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9335760

I would pot them up and keep them outside in a really well protected area for as long as possible making sure they don't freeze...or treat them as houseplants over the winter. They will have to grow their soil roots before they can be transplanted and can do that while in a sunny window inside.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 18, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9336399

Im not sure how many cuttings you have rooted but, how I do it is, make up a mixture of potting soil X 3 scoops, horticultural sand (from garden store) X 1 scoop, Pearlit X 1/2 scoop, mix together and take a bunch about 5-6 cuttings together and place in the soil mix, you may need to have a garden cane to support the tall cuttings but, by bunching the cuttings together, they normally support each other no problem.
Make sure you keep inside till they are filling the pots with proper roots, once the roots are growing well, empty the cuttings out from the pot and gently seperate the individual roots (try not to break any roots off. It may help to gently swish the rooted plants in a bucket of water as this will get rid of the soil and make division easier.
Pot up individually in a pot NOT TOO BIG, keep watering and when the weather next year is suitable, plant out either in rows or into larger pots and keep outside to harden off the rooted plants. Once you want to plant out into final position either as hedge or as shrubs, make sure you remove any Straight branches as these are strong and before you know they will weaken the twisted branches and take over the whole shrub in a couple of years, My plants are called curly walking sticks (Harry Lauder walking sticks, he was a famed Scottish comedian who carried one of those sticks) other people call them twisted Hazels, but they mature to have nice yellow catkins early spring.
like shaded conditions with gentle sunlight, plenty leaf-mold in the planting hole and as a mulch each autumn.
Good luck. hope you get good results.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America