Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Yarden chores - Late fall, early winter- begins 11-16-12

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 103, Views: 683
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9334743

What tasks call you into the yard-en in late fall? Or drive you out again LOL? Here's the idle chatter about what to do at this time of year. It either reminds us what to do, or gets us sympathy for our hard work...
Seasonal pic is of Oriental bittersweet vine.

We were chatting at
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281155/#new

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9335546

Shredding and bagging leaves and saving them. I add water and close the top and place in su sun.
New thought . I think i have been encouraging voles by supplying my lazy cold compost with steady stream of kitchen tidbits for them. Carrot ends and potato peels seem too much like the roots they like to eat ( today found a parsley victim)
So for now i am keeping kitchen waste scraps in a large covered bucket.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9335551

Sally--

I put my peelings and smaller, or rotten, scraps in my SEM.
Latger waste--like softening apples, slightly aged potatoes, Celety stems, Oranges way past their prime,
and, like today--cause I am making Turkey Soup, the tops of the Leeks I used. Also--a lot of carrots
that have gone soft...
ALL this I drop off at the Pet Smart next to the HD I work in for all their critters to munch on.
These are always gladly accepted...

As for garden chores--what a gorgeous day today!!! SO? What am i doing?
Cooking soup from all the bones and scrap of some of the turkeys we had for out
annual BIG Thanksgiving feast at HD.
I will take this BIG (21qt.) pot, full of delicious soup, to work tomorrow and have everyone go at it.
Hey! FREE lunch!!! Did it last year as well...

You think I am kidding about this feast????
Take a look! This is, normally, out fancy Training Room, where all kinds of meetings are held.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click an image for an enlarged view.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9336193

Definitely yardening, but definitely not a chore!!!(yet, lol)

I just posted this on our Neck of the Woods chat thread but since it is time limited I'm posting it here, too,

Attention my neck of the woods Home Depot has become a clearance center for a number of area HDs that have already closed their outside garden areas and shipped their remaining trees and shrubs to Annapolis store.

This morning they were having a final clearance on Japanese Maples, I came home with an assortment including:
Ruths Red
Full Moon
Viridis
Butterfly
Koyuki
English Town
Emporer I
Bloodgood

These were in 2 - 10 gal pots retailing from $40 to $180 per tree. I got almost $900 worth for just under $80!!!

There were some nice Bloodgoods and Ruths Reds available if anyone would like me to be your 'shopper' for these and I'll overwinter them , too.

Or, how about a Hydangea paniculata 'Winky Pinky" 10 gal pot for $5?

Just let me know asap as they may be clearing them as soon as tomorrow.

Judy
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9336605

Plant stand is done!!!! It is clearly more of a functional design than anything else. A lot of the plants aren't visible unless you take the time to look around or through it. Anyway, always room for more.

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2012
2:02 AM

Post #9336805

Holy Guacamole Judy, you really hit the jackpot, huh!?!?! I will respectfully decline your very generous offer (I'll do it here since I've not seen or know where that other thread is, heehee), but it sure is sweet of you!!

Paul... DUDE, that stand is gorgeous!!!!! The coolest, and coolest-looking, part about it is its innovativeness, not to mention how rich and glowing that wood is. That is definitely a stand to be proud of; Two BIG thumbs-up! < =D

I've not done anything yardening-wise this weekend, DH and I enjoyed a lovely Home Depot date of our own, getting all the little odds and ends that we'd missed for tiling a floor, then we set to work demoing the master bath. We are now the proud owners of a toilet in the bathtub! =) (those are the only two things we're not re-doing. Tub/shower job is too big for the 2 of us, and too expensive, and the toilets are only about 2 years old, so they are in nice shape). Over the Thanksgiving weekend we'll put it all back together again, only better. I get to do the painting!! < =D

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9336979

Really nice and unique Paul.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9337007

Thanks!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9337907

I can sooo totally see speedy saying Paul-DUDE great job. I agree completely!!! Very cool design and looking around and through is the fun!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9338370

Heeheee, ooops, that "Dude" just snuck out! < =D My orthodontist calls me "Dude", is that funny or what!? =) But for Paul, it really fits! < =) He did such an awesome job on that stand,... I'm thinking he could make money from those things.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9338576

Speedie---

"Those things" (attic steps) cost a couple hundred dollars...not a money making project.

It would be cheaper to build "pseudo ladders", meaning w/o all the safety requirements,
and sell them as plant stands.

Of course--that is if you, Paul, even see that as a realistic endeavor...Hmmmmmmmmmmm?????
NOT likely...Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9338690

I'm taking orders now!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9338802

Gitagal wrote:Speedie---

"Those things" (attic steps) cost a couple hundred dollars...

It would behoove me to back-read a bit from time to time, eh? Now I feel like a complete Pollack! < =/ You are absolutely right, it would be much more realistic to build a sturdy facimile thereof... Paul, you don't mind if Gita and I sit here and make business plans and arrangements for you, do you? We'll just talk about you as if you weren't here... tsk tsk tsk. ;)

Edit: OK, I back-read, and didn't find a description of it including expensive attic ladders, so I don't feel like so much of a Pollack anymore.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2012 5:29 AM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9338831

Well it wouldn't be hard to duplicate though!

Still waiting for my first order...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9339209

A cup of asparagus soup, mushroom, Swiss, bacon cheeseburger, curly fries with mayo, and a frosty IPA.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9339250

Coming right up Ric!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9339333

yum! I'll have what he's having.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9339398

Heehee. Me, too!

Ifn one could find steps laying on the curbside or at a yard sale or some such then it might be profitable.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9340004

I have a bunch of mums we used for annual colors this year. They don't do well for me the next year so I just rip them up and discard them. It is getting to be that time and it just occurred to me that they could be reused. If anybody wants some let me know when I pull them up I will repot them and hopefully they'll live (open to suggestions to help). There are only two colors, brandy and yellow.

Please DM me and I would be happy to put them aside for the spring swap.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9340054

Paul--
Here's a little "how-to-know" if your Mums will come back next year.

When they are done blooming, take a look at the base of the Mum--where it comes out of the soil--
IF you see little new Mum-growths around the crown of the Mum--it will, probably
come back. If not--it is a goner.

Did you keep your Mums in pots--or did you plant them in the ground?
A killer error many people make, in planting Mums, is to dig a hole--pull out the Mum,
stick it in the hole and that's that. I am sure everyone knows how matted roots can become on a potted Mum.
You MUST cut into the root-ball with a knife, vertically, in about 5 places to give the plant a chance to
send out new roots (if you are planting it in a bed).
If not--it will be sitting in that hole you dug just like it would be in a pot. No incentive for the roots to spread out.

For the Mums you want to keep--cut them back to about 4"-5" (Not all the way down),
and throw them under a shrub, against your shed, under your deck--whatever...somewhere a bit protected--
and let Nature take care of them.
The reason you want to leave some of the stems sticking up is that they will catch some windblown leaves
which will act as a protective cover on the new growths. In spring--you can cut them all the way back.
Easy-peazy!

BTW---even if they are all called "hardy" mums--most of them DO NOT come back.
If you buy the little ones (4" pots) early in the fall and plant them, they will have time to grow roots and "make it".

Some will astound you, though. Like this one I have.
Bought it in the fall (2010 in a reg. 8" pot)--saw promising new growths at the base when it was done blooming--
cut it back some--left the pot outside in a protected area.
Planted it in a bed the next year--(2011--it grew and bloomed)--moved it to a small bed the following spring (2012)--
and this is what it did. (See pics).

It is WAYYYY too big for this tiny bed--just 5'x2'. I just planted a new Clematis in it this spring and thought the
Mum would shade the roots nicely. Now I worry that it may kill everything else in this bed by taking it over.
On the left side of this small bed there is an old, white Peony. On the right side--an old, large white Azalea.

Of the 3 Mums I bought this year--only one of them shows any promise of coming back next year.
I think certain colors have more longevity than others...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9340141

Ditto what Gita said. I think that peat soil that many potted mums are in, can dry out then not rehydrate properly, causing failure.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9340434

Gita, I've been meaning to ask you about the Pacific mums I got from you this spring.

Should I cut them back this winter after they've finished blooming? Or wait until the spring?

I waited too long to repot them, so they're growing kind of funny right now. I was hoping to cut them down and allow them to grow into a pretty rounded mound next year.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9340605

Such a pretty morning- a walk in the woods.

Against (some) of my better judgement, I put off pruning the pear tree and am into the Xmas decor. Usually I use all the really nice weekends in the garden, and then get stuck with a frigid blast while getting the Xmas stuff put out.

We've piled up quite a few fallen branches so soon is a bonfire and cleanup.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9340626

ss--

Are you talking about the "Chrysanthemum Pacificum" plant?
The one with the green/silver underneath leaves? With the tiny button blooms?

Yes--you can cut them back this fall. Leave a couple of inches of stems--so you can see
where it is. These multiply by underground runners, so no need to baby them.

Mine is a bit too tall as well. Need to pinch them back more during the spring/summer.
They will grow lanky and sprawled if the stems are just allowed to grow.

Will go out and take a picture for you...make sure i am talking about the same plant.
You can see how unruly it has grown in the first picture.
BTW--when you pinch the leafy tips back next spring--just strip the stems a bit and stick them
in a small pot. They root very readily.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9340680

That's it, Gita! And good to know about pinching them next year. They did get quite lanky this year.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 2, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9347616

I've missed this little chat until today. So nice to have folks checking in...it helps to remind me of things that I need to do. Thanks for the tips on the mums Gita. Last fall a neighbor sent her grandson up to my place with 6 large pots of them. Only two lived and after reading your care tips, I now know why they died. I will take the two bloomings ones and put in a more protected winter location and do the cutting back you spoke of.

Been almost too chilly most days for me to venture outside. If today is as warm as yesterday was I plan to take the afternoon to do a few things outdoors. I need to address the tables on my screen porch where my houseplants spent the summer. I cover the tables with vinyl table cloths and I been looking at them for weeks as the wind has blown them all askew. I want to take out a roll of duct tape and tape the edges to the bottom of the tables so I don't have to took at the blown all over.

I have done a bit of seed gathering from time to time and have them all drying and will later work with them getting them bagged and labeled. I want to check and see if we have a supply of bird feed or whether we need to purchase some.

Oh yeah, another on going chore is ridding the deck of fallen leaves. Not sure of its condition today but will see when I go out...may end up having to do that too. Always something to do if a person looks hard enough. I often try shutting my eyes in order not to see. On the very cold days it is very easy to forget that there are outdoor chores to do. I am also of th mind that what doesn't get done in the fall will be addressed in the spring.

Happy fall chores everyone.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9347834

Happy deck sweeping Ruby!
I am slowly getting more persistant myself in the neatness category including now more effort to get blown leaves off my deck. I guess it does look better clean than leafy!
Next two days look nicer! I have my wings clipped as Mark is working on the car.
We hit the mall today. Lots of people there but many stores did not seem to be selling a lot. Old Navy thouh had a huge line and five or six cashiers working. Jc penney has a nicer less junked up layout of goods than a year ago.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9347902

Well I spent 4 or 5 hours cutting perennials back and cleaning up all the leaves in the front of the house. Looks clean, just gets me excited for spring.

I have half a pallet of bagged mulch that is probably 3 months old and definitely moldy. I might use it to fall mulch and dress things up, if I can find the motivation and day light.

It wasnt as nice as they were projecting here but it was nice enough for me. It is December! Hope all is well with all.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9348328

I was out until well past dark working on my awful front hill. It is about 25 yards long, and we have divided it into one yard strips. I've now planted 12 of the strips -- which sounds pretty bad, except the remaining strips are a lot shorter and 3 of them have already been turned over. I hope I can get the rest done in the next 3 days of gorgeous weather -- I'll steal a couple hours from the workday.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9348685

I'm pulling out a lot of ditch lilies -- which means I need some dirt to fill in where we've pulled them. I have a lot of compost, but I needs something more along the lines of top soil Any ideas for local sources?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9348689

College park has a city compost they deliver it is really cheap but I'm not sure if they are doing it this late in the season. Might check other municipalities nearby, I heard Tacoma park was self serve.

I used the college park dirt a few months ago and it was great. Might have to wait until spring.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9348752

I should be doing yarden work but it's so nice out I decided to decorate instead. :-} I'd much rather perspire a bit than take frequent breaks to warm my fingers and ears. I'm hoping for a January thaw to take them down. LOL I already had most of my front beds cleaned anyway. So I put on some Trans-Siberian Orchestra to help to get in the spirit (the tempo doesn't hurt either), dug out all the totes, and I be Decken' the Halls. Ric

Hey Terp, Where's that IPA. LOL Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9348792

happy, I'm not local enough to help you there.

We got four trash cans full of fresh manure/stable cleanings to day- ( gives a new meaning to the word 'fresh') now to decide what to do with em. Rather, I guess, where to let it sit and how to pile or contain it.

and I really have things that should be done besides playing with that.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9348820

LOL Sally, We use to have 5 horses. Those stalls sure can be a lot of work. That's why the Veggie garden has such nice soil.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9348847

LOL! It's hard to just let the stuff sit for a few months- I just want to 'spread the love' right now but they always say let it sit...
Ho hum, time to start meatballs for dinner.
I just played a stupid game on facebook- The good thing is, you fail a few times and they want you to buy another turn or ask friends to give you a new life. I am too cheap for the first and would never admit to friend I am hooked on the stoopid game enough to ask for a favor! So yay, it made me quit!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9348863

Sally--

How about storing all the "fresh gold" in that unused SEM in your corner????

I may still come and get it...Doesn't look like my open Compost bin will arise any time soon.
It was a nice idea--and I hope it still materializes...

Beautiful day--and what am I doing????? Cooking a pot of my annual Cranberry sauce.
Bubbling away!!! Got to wash all the jars...even if they are already washed.
Just making sure...No need to sterilize or boil these...my sauce NEVER goes bad.
Too much sugar in it...

I recently found a small jar from 2001. Ate the whole thing---and it still tasted good.
I know...I know...many would not do that...

OK. The sink calling...Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9348958

Ric-

Sounds like a loose cannon would be perfect for you. Or a seasonal black cannon, a personal favorite.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9348975

Oh Happy, only a few weeks ago, I made at least 5 trips to the county landfill to get rid of extra dirt. :(

Some of it was horrible, sour-smelling clay, but a part of it was usable topsoil. I should have posted here first before taking it to the dump.

I can't wait to see your front hill transformation! I imaging working and digging in that steep slope must be difficult, if not dangerous.

edit: oh, and I think college park stops delivering compost/mulch at the end of October.

This message was edited Dec 3, 2012 7:10 PM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9349310

HollyAnn, Oooooh I love Trans Siberian Orchestra, thank you for reminding me that I've got some of their cd's!!! I know what I'll be listening to on the way to work today!! < =D

Well, yesterday DH and I got bored with nothing to do while the contractors took over our home putting in windows, so we went outside and raked leaves. Back yard is all done now, yippee!! I think I'll leave the ones on the front lawn alone, they're not too thick. I really shoudl rake out my beds though (nope, still haven't done that), but now my EGADS schedule starts at work and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it... too darned lazy this year, I tell ya's!! , =/
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9349346

Speedie, A few years ago Ric and I attended one of their concerts. They play at Hershey every few years. It was spectacular.
Ric has been doing a great job of keeping it all together while I was working for a few weeks. It is nice to once again be jobless. Yesterday I cleaned up the front bed around the lamp post. It will look really nice when Ric decorates it.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9349420

Paul, They both sound great but Peg Leg sounds better. Ric

Back to decorating, then mayhaps some yarden chores.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 10:39 AM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9349438

Everyone -- I know most of you may raise your eyebrows at this offer, but I have dug out tons of ditch lilies (Hemerocallis fulva, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/201/) -- if anyone has a use for them, let me know. They are great for erosion control -- aggressive, but in my experience not invasive (I have had them for 20 years and they have expanded but haven't jumped into other gardens). They formed a line at the bottom of my awful front hill. I am keeping the line of ditch lilies, but reducing its depth. I'll pitch them if I don't hear from anyone.

ssgardenener -- thanks for your posting -- but you know, I didn't realize until yesterday that I needed the fill dirt, so I wouldn't have asked for the dirt even had you posted. Didn't see this one coming. I'm going to buy top soil by the b ag at Home Depot - it is pretty cheap.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9349532

Happy, I would love your excess ditch lilies! So, the problem comes with how and when to get them as my working transpo is limited right now.

Here is a wild and crazy idea...as you get your bags of "soil" slit them the long way, poke a few holes in the bottom and fill them with lily clumps you've dug up..they will survive like this til spring if need be as long as there is drainage. Or, use those clumps as "mulch" in the new soil . Just set them on top (not planted) to hold the soil around your new plantings and then they will be easy to remove come spring. Let me know what works for you.

And if there are other takers, that's fine, too. Maybe we could meet halfway some where...Hey ssgardener, you could get your hydrangeas and maple trees, too.

Ah, this weather is great, but it will not last, but today so much seems possible to get done! Out I go.

Judy
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9349539

Judy: I can definitely keep them -- they are in a large garbage can right now -- no worries -- I'll figure out something.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9350364

For you all--it is that time of year again when we harvest the ripe "fruits" of our
Compost piles. and spread them around in hopes of better things to come--next year.

For those of you who were not around in 2006 , Here is the link to The beginning of
a gathering of minds and poetic prowess --all to do with the golden "POO".

We had such a good time--the "ditties" flew. Some serious--some totally insane.

Take your time--bookmark this if you want--but read it all...

The Forum is "Soil and Composting"
The Tread is: "Poetry on the Pile"...
The rewards will be full of healthy laughter and lots of chuckles.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fr.php

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9350465

LOL Gita, Ric has bedecked our home with beautiful lights. So I am trying to clean up the flower beds. Just cutting back a few things that weren't previously done. The other day I did the lamp post bed and when I got back home after a shopping trip with a friend, Ric had it looking all beautiful and sparkly. Today I removed the Hyacinth Bean vine from the Arbor in the Secret Garden and cleaned up the front raised rock bed. I need to get the front porch cleaned off as Ric put up the new Christmas lights but the old summer decorations are still there. I need to get out there an take a few pics. I must say that the Nandina are looking really pretty right now. Think I will put on my jacket and take care of the Chickies and take a pic now.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9350639

That above link was not the rght one. Sorry!

Here--try this one. Takes you right to the thread--part #1.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/664716/?hl=Poetry

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9350910

So here are the promised pics of the Nandina. These were a bargin $1 apiece last year when I was working at Lowes. I have a row of 10 growing along the fence for the dog yard. 8 of them are looking pretty good, the 2 that are growing between the chickie pen and the fence aren't growing well but I plan to move the chickie pen and they should catch up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9350985

Holly--
I only have one Nndina--by my shed.
It DOES look spectacular this time of year.

Love the red leaves and the clusters of berries...
G.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9351080

Are those Domestica? They look wonderful! The color is so rich and they look so happy!!

I'm hoping to get some outdoor stuff done today when I get back from checking out the school this morning.. but of course DH has always got ideas of what I should do on my days off as well... for some silly reason he thinks I should be baking cookies! HA! ;P But, but, but, I have LEAVES to be raking up out of my big bed out front!!! (and, please don't pull out the pea-shooter, but I actually still have one left-over tomato plant in a container out front that never got tossed! Eeeek!) I have no time for baking cookies! ... wanders away mumbling shaking her head...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9351139

Speedie, I have a leftover tomato in a container, too. Mine is by the back gate in the dog run so it isn't as noticeable but it is still there. LOL I will have to look for a tag with the variety, could have swore I put that in my journal but it isn't there.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9351158

Believe it or not--I have a yellow rose blooming right now...

I think most of my stuff is done--I DO need to rake some more leaves and to mow the lawn one last time.
Perhaps I can combine the two?
Should mulch a few things...sounds like a couple more days of work--doesn't it?

Then--have to put away all the chair cushions and stack up all the chairs and settee and covering that with a tarp.

I "should" put up a few Christmas lights---haven't done that in years...but mu neighbors have done it and
my house seems so dark...:o( Oh, well...
G.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9351165

I have a few blooms on my Quince and the other day I noticed a hedge of them in bloom when I was out shopping. Also I have daff bulbs putting up a few shoots and Lamium blooms were peaking out of the light snow fall we got last week.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9351209

Amazingly, we have a single bloom on our Clematis 'Josephine'.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9351426

I've still got Petunias and Alyssum blooming! Sheeesh, don't they know it's bedtime!?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9351679

I like to plant a lot of Alyssum it is always one of the last annuals blooming in my garden.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9351720

My fall pansies are settling in and starting to bloom
: ^)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
2:52 AM

Post #9351959

Starting to!?!?! WOW!!

So, needless to say, I didn't get any outside work done yesterday... after getting lost going to school (darn it, all those streets that start with an "M"!! Turned onto a wrong one... thinking "Well, THIS doesn't look familiar at all!!"...), got home way later than I'd wanted to, then ended up in the kitchen the rest of the day. On the upside, there's fresh chocolate chip cookies and brownies!! < =D

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9351998

Journey of a thousand miles ...starts with brownies.

Rain! We need this rain!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9352053

Yep, yep, can't go wrong with brownies and rain.

I've had to stow and unstow my hose several times since before Thanksgiving as my containerized garden is so dry. Walking that fine line of not dormant trees (JMs) and bushes (hydrangeas, etc) still needing moisture to live, but too much runs risk of root rot. Will probably have to add some water to unheated porch stored tropicals, too.

Hoping for a window of watering opportunity this weekend.

Oak trees have finally dropped their leaves this week but my raking enthusiasm has waned for the year! May just settle for a little more mulching with the seven bags of shredded leaves I rescued.

Otherwise everything else is on its own as I am yardened out for 2012!

Happy decorating all.

Judy
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9352148

Coleup, I sent you a private message to schedule a time to pick up those JMs and hydrangeas! :)

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9352184

Good rain, nice and soft, a soaker. This would be a good day to work on the pot storage. Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9352204

terra cotta, Ric...one hopes
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9352241

No the thousands of little and big plastic pots we hoard for spring. I tend to just toss them into piles and stacks. Dear Ric is trying to get a handle on them by organizing them into sizes and shapes and storing them on shelves. Right now quite a few of them are blocking the isle to the freezer. Holly

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9352412

Yuppers- I have them strewn gaily about the yard from March to October too. Always a right size plastic pot for anything you dig up!
I did assemble some into nicer stacks of same size, and cleaned the shed a bit, a few weeks ago. Mark was pleased.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9352436

I have been warned**** Next year I will have to stick to some kind of organize as you plant program. Ric said he has spent a good 2 days cleaning up my pot mess. LOL

He is right I did have a real mess. (blushing)
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9352500

Right now, I have foxgloves that have been blooming for 2 months, and pink dragon wing begonias that have been blooming since May!

The foxgloves were wintersown in January. I have about 5-6 that were wintersown at the same time, but this is the only one blooming at this odd time.

I need to dig up that article about how to save foxglove seeds and wintersow some more next month. :)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9352503

Ssg. Aren't foxgloves pretty good at reseeding themselves. When I have saved mine I usually just cut the stalks and let them fall into a box of some sort. They are easily lost. I have never winter down them, or anything for that matter. Just let mother nature take them. Somebody jump in here if I'm wrong but will they have time to make seed this late in the season?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9352516

Terp, I'd love to know if there was an easier way to propagate them. What do you mean you let them fall into a box? I'm *terrible* at seedling ID, so anything that self sows will probably get weeded out...

I did get really good germination with wintersowing. I was hoping to propagate this one (very pretty lavender color), but you're right, it's probably too cold for them to be making seeds :-/
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9352520

I just cut them at the base and let the stems fall in to any sort of container. Once I have them in a container I'll just throw them wherever. Granted I wait until the seed pods are splitting. I am working on winter sowing, perhaps this year. It seems to be quite a commitment. I still have some columbine I sowed? In an open container. I guess survival of the fittest is my philosophy.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9352636

SS--

Paul is right! Foxgloves will self-seed readily. You need not do anything...They come up later in the summer--
or early fall and the little clumps survive the winter. You can move them at this time or in early spring.
The smaller they are when you move them--the more chance for uninterrupted development as it grows.

The following spring--the clumps just continue growing. While they are small is a good time to move
them wherever you want them to grow in the summer. Just dig--and re-plant at the same time. Quickly.
Being that they can grow to 4'-5' tall--you can imagine that you would not want them in your borders.
So--replanting gives you the control to where they will grow.

Now--IF yours is already blooming--I think it may skip a year--as the seed has already germinated this year
and is blooming--but will not make new seed (it will be winter) to grow the following year.
But--the same plant "might" continue next year...

I have collected the seeds by picking off the pods and letting the "dust" fall out in a container.
The seeds are miniscule--literally--like dust. They are also as toxic as any other part of this plant.
Try not to breathe them in--and try not to rub you eyes or face or mouth if you are handling these seeds.
I have read horror stories about the reactions some people have had.
If you do not want to have seeds germinating all over the place--cut the stalks off before the seed pods mature.

Biennials (which the Foxglove also is) like to drop seed in the end of summer--and then survive the winter and
come up when it is time. Just like the "Forget-me-Nots", or "Cleomies" or 4 O'Clocks...

Hope this helps...Why Wintersow something that does it automatically on its own--au naturelle????

I tried winter sowing some perennials one year--and was not happy with the process...Too messy--too
much work keeping them happy, transplanting etc...Hated doing it with the gallon milk bottles...
SO inconvenient to get inside them or to water...
You can use the high-domed, perforated produce containers like grapes and salads come in.
Much easier--top is already perforated--and so is the bottom..It is clear--so light will get in--
plenty of ventilation, etc...I have not tried it--but i do not see why these would not work.
Just look at containers and think "outside the box"...:o)

Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #9352787

I have used those produce containers for winter sowing with some success.. have also used yogurt/sour cream containers, plastic coffee "cans", 20-oz sized water bottles, and clear juice jugs too. All with some degree of success or another. My best successes have been with the deeper containers, allowing for deeper rooting and taller seedlings. My best successes have also been when we've had a REAL winter, with freezes and oodles of snow. This last "Winter" (2011-2012) was a real washout, not nearly Wintery enough.

Gracye
Warrenton, VA

December 8, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9353311

My "Winter's Snowman" Camelia is a'bloomin' away gaily...just beautiful single white blossoms..jeese, at least SOMETHING is white in my yard, even if it isn's comin' from the sky...!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9353333

I probably mentioned this last year, but I'll reprise it here. Being lazy, getting milk from the dairy in bottles, and already missing part of my left thumb, I no longer wrestle with gallon milk jugs for winter sowing. I go to a local restaurant supply business and purchase a sleeve of 50 quart deli containers for $7 or $8, and a sleeve of 50 lids for a couple of bucks. (The container they put 2 pounds of Grandma's Potato Salad in at the deli counter at your local grocery.) I invert the stack of containers and drill about 10 3/16" holes in the bottoms, piercing around 7 or 8 at a time. Drill the lids in a stack in similar manner. Fill 2/3 full with potting mix, tamp down, sow seeds and cover. Slap on a label and waterproof it with clear packing tape.

Saves time and money since one does not have to buy a lot of milk or carry-out, not to mention calories. Works great if you need only 25 plants or so rather than 100, and requires about 1/4 as much potting mix as milk jugs. Takes up a lot less space to boot.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
3:05 AM

Post #9353441

Absolutely brilliant greenthumb!!! I think you win the "You Da Man" Winter Sowing award!! =)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9353561

Whew. Just finished putting down my last two bags of mulch on the side hill. I love the winter clean up and mulch look. Probably won't get to the rest of the beds, but at least I got the bed done that I missed in the spring. Ha. Ha.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9353596

David, I remembered your suggestion, and thanks for reposting it in detail.
Paul, dear, picture is worth a thousand words. if you have a chance, I bet we'd ooh and aahh over your yard...Esp as MY winter look seems to be 'blown leaves!"

Rain, yay! Good weather for writing Xmas cards and wrapping gifts. This will be the first time in years that I get my FL box to the PO before the last week (knock on wood). And this last few days , my winter greens seem to be growing a lot. Radishes are starting to get 'radishes'.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9353806

Sally-

Pictures may be worth a thousand words but when I take them they never seem to do the shot justice. Two different angles, the path is lined with regular liriope. I cut it down with a mower and hand cut what was left.

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp   Thumbnail by UMD_Terp         

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9353833

LOVE a woodland garden, and we all know how much work it was to gather leaves from that. Well done!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9353848

Oh that sure is looking good. Down right manicured.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9353889

Paul---

LOVE...LOVE thar woodland look also! No wonder you like shade plants. Please send more pictures.
You must have quite a large property. No development for you, huh?

If you ever get the chance--go to Terris (aspenhill's) place. She is also in the woods, with amazing landscasping,
a lake-sized pond--multi-level paths--just gorgeous!!! And SHE and her husband built their
huge house--that belongs in "House beautiful".
She held one of the Swaps a couple years ago. What a treat to be there...

Wasting away here at the HD. till 5:30. Sunday nights there are the Ravens games--and no one comes shopping.

Tonight is ourCompany Christmas party as well .. A very dreary evening...
Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9353912

Beautiful woods Paul, I just love all the beeches. Ric
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9353919

Thanks all.

Ric, that is funny I want to cut one of the smaller ones down to let a little more light in. Their canopies are so dense.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9354105

Gorgeous, Paul!!!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9354672

Paul, I love your woodland garden - what a great path too. Looking good!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9354689

(and she oughta know!!))

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9354693

I felt OK about my flowerbeds being smothered in leaves...until today. Now they are covered in slimy wet stuck together leaves. It's not seeming too good for the plants this way.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9427825

Two months later, and still dealing with wet slimy stuck together leaves!

Here things are waking up despite the mostly cold last two weeks. Daffodils have been blooming for 2 weeks now.

Seems too miserable out to do much garden work, but need to get to some repotting of Japanese Maples before they break dormancy. Clematis vines have only gone brown last week. Hydrangea buds swelling.

I see crocus, winter hazel and perris blooming on my route, moss covered woodland path greening up, acorns sprouting.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 12:56 PM
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9428040

Oh coleup, I need to go get those Japanese maples before they leaf out! I want them in the ground asap.

You have a dmail coming!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9428100

My current chore is putting away a load of used lumber that I got from my daughters remodeling job.
Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9428160

Mark picked up the crabgrass preventer last week.

Butterfly bushes need a cut. Roses soon after, at this rate. three weeks to St Patricks Day.

My potatos are sprouting right on schedule- IN the kitchen. haha
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9428189

Sally I like to plant my spuds on Good Friday, which this year fall just2 days after a full moon. The Almanac always recommended planting root crops in the dark of the moon. c'est la vie Ric
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9428197

Sally, is this the time of the year to be putting down crabgrass preventer? I thought it was the same time as rose pruning/forsythia blooming.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9428199

Ric do you buy seed potato? THey say not to use grocery store ones. But its kinds hard to dump them when thhey are sprouting anyway.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9428206

ssg Tigger Plymouth- you are right we are just prepared. It will be coming pretty soon though. Mid March? late march?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9428264

Sally, I usually do buy seed potatoes, but if I have others that are sprouting, I use those also. The market potatoes are supposedly treated to slow sprouts, but if they have sprouts, I consider that to be null. I personally am still trying to prefect the art, of which my grandfather was a master. I am envious of the crop he raised (Corbets), he was sorely needed in 19th century Ireland. He'd 'ave changed them to turnips, beets, and cabbage if he could not raise 'taters. He also raised chickens. In his case the egg was first. He always hatched his flock, Roosters were meat, hens were layers, old hens were soup. His family fared well through the Depression, due to his resourcefulness and mu grandmothers' ability to pinch a penny. And I run on. Ric

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9428276

Oh go ahead and run, Ric, I love to hear "old farmer" stories!! (not that YOU are the old farmer, mind you... )

... Excuse me, I have to go remove my foot from my mouth.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9428344

Old farmer tales are awesome!!!

I need to do a lot before next Saturday when I fly to Oregon to help after my DIL after she has back surgery. I won't be home til March 28th. Long time to be away when things are starting to stir and wake up.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9428348

Whoa nelly!
But I'd like to see Oregon some day.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9428366

It hit me like a ton of bricks that it is only a week away. I have been making extra for dinner and putting things in the freezer, but I do need to clean some things up and prune before then otherwise new stuff will be up long before I get home.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9428656

sallyg wrote:Whoa nelly!
But I'd like to see Oregon some day.

I just love how you type... just like you talk! < =)

Goodness Jan, don't cut it too close!! You're gonna be gone a while, so I'll just pray for nicely spaced out periods of rain for you while you're away, to keep everyone out there growing happily! =)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2013
6:30 AM

Post #9428750

Jan, Does your DIL garden, will you have a garden to play in while you are caring for her and their family? Not like you will have a lot of extra time while you are there.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9428930

That's also one of the reasons I love the MA, you write like you talk so it's really like a conversation!!

Oregon is a good place to visit!! DDIL does some veggies in containers and a few in ground. One time I was out there I redid their area between the sidewalk and street. Thanks to the PNW forum I got hooked up with someone who had a bunch of clearance plants. We went on craigs list and got some used bricks, so we made some brick pads (for garbage cans) interspersed with ground covers. It still looks good since it filled in nicely. So I can play with that. maybe THIS time I will visit the Japanese garden. Also maybe visit the Rose garden again. Since Portland is The Rose City they are everywhere.

My yarden will just have to fend for itself, so I know you will all understand if I don't get everything done the way I would like for the swap in May. Then I think a yarden is always under construction, so it will be what it will be and you all are in the same boats, so no worries.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9464270

I've started a Yardening Spring thread over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304562/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America