Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Plants: Need Elephant Ear Advice

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 6, Views: 140
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9334894

I'm trimming back my EE's to the ground, as I always do. I usually don't do anything else to them, after I put a little mulch on them. They're so thick, though, and some of the biggest ones are so high on top of the ground. Do you guys pull those up and store them? And, if so, how? Do you pull a bunch of them up? Mine always do pretty good considering the north Texas sun, but I'm just wondering if they would do better if I really thinned them out. Please advise.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9338896

In the north here we have to dig them up and store the bulbs. At that time I do separate them. In the south, when I lived there and had Cannas, I left them in the ground but did thin them out every now and then. So I would say yes you could thin out your EE's. Store the bulb in a dry cool place, or plant them again.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9341532

Thin, and replant in the Spring and they should all do better. I am in 7-B and do the same as far as overwintering. Marie's plan is sound also.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9342081

i also plant the small babies separate, until they get to a mature size. they pull away from the mother bulb easily.
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9347239

Thanks, guys. I decided to leave most of them in the ground until around March. Then I will thin them out. I did take out the huge ones that were so above ground. I've got them in boxes, separated by hay. Will that do?

It is soo warm here still. It'll be in the 70s again this coming week.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9348183

How lucky you are to have those temps. We got so cold here ( almost freezing) and now we are going to be back in the low 60s again. I finally got my Banana trees in the ground and covered. My regular EE I did not worry about, but the large tropical ones I had to order I did get dug, cleaned and stored in a box. The smaller tropical one I brought in the house, but the cold got to some of the leaves. So I will cut them back and let the smaller ones take over.
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9350886

Sounds like you're on top of it, Marie. We'll see how mine fare. I've stored them in a box, separated by hay. They are on my front porch now, but I'll put them in my storage room in the workshop. It gets really cold in there, but we'll see.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America