Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Meals On Wheels 2012 - 2013 Placemat Project #4

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Continuing towards our goal to cover Brevard county . We need a total of 640 placemats.
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233111/#new

This message was edited Nov 17, 2012 4:23 PM

Thumbnail by mittsy

269, 270, 271, & 272 Batteries on camera are low so will charge them up and resume later. Enjoy!

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Love the fabrics!!! Lucky people who get these.....

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

these are very festive.

273, 274, 275, & 276

277, 278, 279, & 280

281, 282, 283, & 284

285, 286, 287, & 288

Wow! Look at all the variety. I love this pattern.

What are the sizes of the strips? I like this one too~~~

Barb, Betty had these. Check her post on Nov. 14th in" November What are you working on Part 2" I think they look pretty quick and easy.

Pattern is called "Fat Quarter Friendly Placemats"

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 7:44 PM

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Barb, kinda like a stack and whack...strips are various sizes....move pieces from top of stack to bottom ...sew some, cut again....turn piece around opposite direction, add to bottom.....

clear as mud?????

I love the greys and yellows

I'm so glad you knew where the pattern was as I had no idea. They were given to me at the Rocket Quilter's meeting last Friday. I have another stack in the garage that came from a group of quilters from St. Johns in Viera. I keep forgetting to bring them in to photograph.

I sure miss Judy. Happy for her that she was able to be in NH for Thanksgiving with her daughter but missing her none the less. Her unit is being painted and Coco, her Siamese is not happy with the "stranger" being there. Every day she tells me all about it in cat talk. She is waiting at the door and starts to talk the moment I open the door. She misses her, too.

Coco

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

This next batch were all made from practice blocks that had been hand quilted. Carol V turned them into placemats for us.

289, 290, 291, 292, & 293

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

294, 295, 296, 297, & 298

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

299, 300, 301, 302, & 303

304, 305, 306, 307, & 308. Quite a variety. I have a few that need some hand work finishing, then to be photographed and then the delivery of this batch to Meals on Wheels.

Great job Mittsy. You and your friends are to be commended for the work you do!!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I did not realize you were doing all of Brevard county. Since I grew up in Brevard county...Indialantic, seems like a good project to put at the tp of my list for next year.

I finished up some hand sewing so I can add 5 more to the list. I hope that this is the last of the roses, I'm tired of them.
309, 310, 311, 312 & 313

They really are pretty Mittsy. But I know what you mean about hand sewing too.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Mittsy, lots of variety and beauty, what a wonderful project. Not sure I could get tired of Pink & Black in any form!

When we are gone my renter says our cat goes to the kitchen door and cries until he comes and gets her!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Mittsy - in my cleaning yesterday I stumbled on some orphan blocks that I will send out to you. Better they be put to a good use than put back in my "someday" pile. Will probably go out in Monday's mail.

OK, Jean, I'll add them to the box. Hope to get a couple of big stacks delivered early next week. Had to hide Judy's pincushion so Coco couldn't get the pins. We don't want ay emergency trips to the vet while mama's away.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Mittsy - orphan blocks are on their way to you...........................

Thank you! I'll let you know when they arrive.

Starting with 314, 315, 316, 317, and 318.

319, 320, 321, 322, and 323. We've passed the halfway mark.

Mittsy, I really like your flower/ bee combinations BEST!! so pretty!

You ladies are really cranking these out this time. Great work...

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, those are beautiful! Great job!

314 & 315 ^_^ o'course all all wonderful great job all of the ladies are doing !!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

From reading back post, Im figuring these are 16" square...is that right? Also, do you stack these then flip them to the right side and sew around to make a 'binding'.
Can others dontate the finished place mat, or would you just like the orphan blocks.

Sliced 9 patch - start out with 9 five inch squares sewn together into a 3 x 3 nine patch, then pressed and cut into quarters, then recut into 6 1/2 inch squares keeping the 2 1/2 inch square as large as possible. Rotate two opposing sections towards the corners and resew. Then add a 5 inch border to one side or 2 3/4 strips to each side and continue with batting and quilting. Then backing and turning and hand sewing closed. No binding necessary.

We'll take orphan blocks or finished mats, but would prefer that you donate locally if at all possible. Most of our mats measure around 12.5 x 17" No set size is required.

I'm finding it very difficult to find any orgs locally that want anything. Even trying to donate to Wounder Warrior, which has HQ in JAX, takes an advanced degree in "Logistics". My quilt guild does do a yearly donation of quilts for kids to the County Sheriff Dept. Maybe my NY resolution needs to be to do some digging & find out what can be done and some good POCs.

Jean, what about the Linus projects? Baby blankets for Child Protective Service?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im having trouble myself finding places. Im just going to keep working on the 1 million pillowcase challenge. I think its great way to get thru some of my stash.They have lots of places that take them, including Quilts of Valor. Im going to go to the meeting of the guild here at the next meeting to see what they are up to.
When I get the actual quilting somewhat mastered, Ill do blankets.

Local sherriffs dept, local police dept, fire dept. area churches....does your county have a Mayor?? ask him/her, they should know of local charitable organizations.
we have a group of women here in my little town that do this thing they call "anonymous baby shower" they collect donations, $ and items from various people and places, and items are given to women in need, who are expecting, or have just had baby. I don't know how they get the info on who has a need.
they put together packages including diapers, bottles, formula, baby clothes, blankets..etc. etc... The mayor gave me a name of one of the women in the group, and told me where she works. I want to go to talk to her.

does a local church have a food bank? maybe you could give to them, and they could give to someone that come in for food?? My Momma knits hats and scarves, for her local food bank...how ever many she does per month, they give away next time they give out food.

local hospital??

Wonderful suggestions, Thunder. I so believe that there is need everywhere and we all need to help out locally whenever possible.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.