Photo by Melody

Computer Talk: Having Firefox browser, lost ability to copy and paste.

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 13, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9335796

Please help. This is making a dent on my opening and closing a thread since I'd like to leave a link to the previous thread. Can anyone help me please?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9335874

Not quite sure I understand your problem, but is it that you want to copy the address for the old thread and paste it into a new one? If so, first question is do you see the address bar at the top of your browser...it'll say "http://davesgarden.com/something" If you see that, you should just have to highlight the text in the address bar with your mouse, then hit control-c, then go to the new thread and hit control-v in the box where you're typing your post.

If the address bar is missing, at least in Firefox for Mac if you go to the menu and select "view", then "toolbars", there's one called navigation toolbar. Make sure to select it--if it accidentally got unchecked then you won't see the address.

If none of this helps, it might help if you could describe in a bit more detail exactly what exactly you're trying to do, how you used to do it when it was working, and exactly which steps aren't working for you now.

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9337995

I am also confused as to what you want. How about Ctrl + T to open a new tab next to the old one. Use Ctrl + C to copy the link in the old tab and Ctrl + V to paste it in the new tab. Now you have two tabs with the two most recent links.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9338075

I can't transfer a link. In the past I can simply right click on the mouse, an option will allow me to "copy" and or "paste". I can't no longer do that now.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9338092

Where exactly are you right-clicking? And do you get any menu options at all when you right click just not the copy/paste that you're looking for, or do you get nothing at all? Might also help to know what version of Firefox you're running (and I assume since you're talking about right clicking that you're on a PC not a Mac), that way maybe someone else who has the same browser can try to replicate what you're doing. And are you having trouble with right clicking not working properly in other programs (which would suggest it's an issue with your mouse settings), or is it just Firefox (suggesting it's likely a browser issue)? FWIW, I'm running Firefox 16.0.2 on my Mac, and if I do the Mac equivalent of a right-click when the cursor is in the address bar, it does show an option to copy.

In the meantime while you wait for someone to maybe figure out why your right click doesn't work, if you do what PotEmUp and I suggested (highlight the text in the address bar, then ctrl-c to copy it and ctrl-v to paste it into your new thread) that will do the same thing. Might take an extra fraction of a second longer than right clicking, but it accomplishes the same goal.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9338171

Computer Talk: Having Firefox browser, lost ability to copy and paste.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9338173

Computer Talk: Having Firefox browser, lost ability to copy and paste. I tried your suggestion. It didn't work either. :((

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9338176

With the 2:26 response, I highlighted the header, and then control V. That was what I've gotten. So I tried again on the second try. That's all I've got. The header, and not the link.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9338306

Maybe a visual would help?

Thumbnail by smileymom343
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9338316

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9338306

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9338318

smileymom343, you're the sunshine onto me today! Many thanks. Problem solved! You just don't know how happy I am at the moment! (and for days to come) ^^_^^
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9338368

A picture really is worth 1000 words! smilyemom's picture is exactly what I was trying to explain in words :) Glad you got your problem solved.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9338488

Thank you ecrane3, for not giving up on me. lol For some reason, the upper portion of the screen will not show up until I move my mouse up top. Once I did that I was able to right click and copy and paste as I usually have done many times before. It's a learning curve for me.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9338830

Glad I could help! ^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America