Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Tomato Horn Worms

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 8, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

November 18, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9335999

Usually I find them on the tomatoes and occasionally on other plants,. But normally here they are green, this one I nearly missed because it was dusky in color

Thumbnail by nancynursez637
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nancynursez637
Madras, OR

November 18, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9336000

Because we are a mountainous zone 5, our growing season can be 60-120 days and you never know for sure. In my community we are a bit further from the Cascade Mountain range so we are closer to 100 days. That does not always allow the tomatoes and melons to finish. So recently in the Mother Earth News there was a set of plans for a hoop house to extend or start the growing season early. Here is a picture of how far along I am on my hoophouse. I have no construction skills but dove in anyway. Will put the skin on it in January so I can start lettuce and asian vegetables in February.

Thumbnail by nancynursez637
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9336021

Wow! Good going. I feel cold fingers in January.

Did you build it over some of your raised beds?
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

November 18, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9336683

Yes, i put it over 5 raised beds but had to reconfigure them just a little, thanks
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2012
11:47 PM

Post #9337774

That thing is a mutant! Lol. You may want to post it in the bug files or whatever it's called. I've never seen one that color.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9338759

Wow!!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9339029

They make hawk moths- some are different colors as cats- post it on hummer/butterfly forum and you may get the name of that particular hawk moth...
AdamKDigs
Oklahoma City, OK

December 11, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9355376

We used to keep 1 for the kids and let it change into a moth. These can devastate a tomato plant but usually I have enough trimmings at the end of the season to take care of 1. The moths are huge and my 5 year old loves them. I have never seen one that color before, but I have seen their colors vary here in Oklahoma. Just make sure it doesn't start talking and using opposable thumbs...and I think we are ok.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9356972

Hoop houses work really well. Here are a few tips:
I made mine smaller, over each bed separately.
Each bed has brackets with a short piece of pipe every 4'.

Keep the bracket and short pipe attached to the beds all the time.
In the summer you can attach a trellis to them for climbing vegetables. By carefully installing the brackets and pipe exactly 4' apart I can make interchangeable trellises. Store them out of the way, grab as many as I need, and know they will fit anywhere.
Same with the hoops. They are mobile. Remove them for rototilling, but otherwise they can stay in place most of the time.
You can put some shade cloth over the hoops when the plants are really young, or just planted to protect them from the hottest sun. This is why the hoops are over each bed separately.
In the winter I put clear plastic over them to extend the season. It tends to blow away. I keep the plastic long enough to lay on the ground in the walkways and put a 2 x 4 or several bricks on it to hold it down. On sunny days I can uncover the bed, leaving the plastic in the walkway until later in the day, then cover the beds at night.
Cut PVC to make clips to hold the plastic in place.

You can make a crop rotation system that includes chickens. Put a box at one end of the vegetable bed for them to sleep in, and cover the hoops with mesh to keep the chickens in the vegetable bed. They tend to fling the soil out of the beds when they are digging.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America