Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Collard Greens - Washing, Cooking, Eating, Freezing and some healthy "Likker": Tip for washing

Communities > Forums > Article: Collard Greens - Washing, Cooking, Eating, Freezing and some healthy "Likker"
bookmark
Forum: Article: Collard Greens - Washing, Cooking, Eating, Freezing and some healthy "Likker"Replies: 0, Views: 3
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9336151

I do just the same thing but to save my hands, I now wear purple nitrile gloves. It's especially helpful during the "stripping" part.

I've lived in the South all my life and love every kind of green except straight up mustards--just a bit toooo tasty for me! Sometimes I don't add any meaty things when making greens but use lots of chopped onion, celery, garlic and a small amount of bell pepper sauteed in olive oil, then add chicken or veggie broth, seasonings/hot pepper/vinegar (I like apple cider but can use plain ol' white) and chopped greens. Let it cook as long as you like but at least an hour.

And if you REALLY want to go all out, try Gumbo Z'Herbes. Incredible!! Here's a couple of recipes I found that I would make but vary a few things according to my taste:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/gumbo-zherbes-recipe2/index.html
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/green_gumbo/
I think the addition of pickled pork is a must if you can find it (usually boiled first to remove the "foam" on top of the water and get a bit of the salt and pickle out). I don't think every green under the sun must be used or every kind of smoked or regular meat. Ham hocks or bone with some meat left on from a smoked ham is great along with some andouille sausage and the pickled pork. This is just my opinion though. Use what looks good to you!

And if you've been fortunate to eat Gymgirl's family recipe for greens, Lillie Mae's Greens, HEAVENLY! You can find the recipe on DG.

Now to go plant some greens before the really cold weather hits!
Janet

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Collard Greens - Washing, Cooking, Eating, Freezing and some healthy "Likker" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Info! jadajoy 50 Jan 4, 2011 3:52 PM
"Pot Likker" lnorris 1 Oct 9, 2009 4:16 PM
greens are so nice ARWadoo 2 Oct 14, 2009 3:26 PM
Other uses for smallplot 0 Oct 12, 2009 3:29 PM
Collard Greens joy112854 2 Oct 17, 2009 1:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America