Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Florida Gardening: Bougainvilla can be a joy to see on my patio - WOW!

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
inheritedroses
Pompano Beach, FL

November 18, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9336491

I am new to this forum, but I just have to share my secrets for the splendor on my open patio. I live in Coral Springs, NW of Ft. Lauderdale, and my secrets (which I researched) are so easy:

Bougainvilla love neglect - I read that you only water them (they get rain showers infrequently here in South Florida) when the leaves are withering. In the Keys, they grow wild and bloom beautifully all year long, and that's the approach to take - no weekly watering & give them plenty of full sun, the more sun, the better.

I also fertilize with Bogain (made just for bougainvilla sold at HD) about once a month, sometimes not that often. I water it in (close to 2 gallons of water), after I've spread the Bogain granules all around the perimeter of the plant, as per the package instructions.
My research also told me that once the blooms fade, you cut them back to the perimeter of the pot (it's hard to do because they look like sticks when you cut them back). They then come back with little green leaves, then more and more lush green leaves, then full blooms.

The only other thing I do is occasionally spray them down with a commercial eco-friendly rose/flower spray also that I buy at HD - not too often, just every now and then. It seems to be a preventative for bugs and fungus to stay away.

All of my neighbors think that I have the best "green thumb" because right now, my patio has 3 bougainvilla in full bloom (incredible splendor) - one is the fushia, another is the purple, and the third is the white with pink infused in the blooms.
They are in big pots with the trellis that it came with from HD, in a good potting soil.

I just had to share; now...maybe when I retire from school teaching in 2 years, I may move on to roses in big pots on my patio. My family, from way back, has always grown many amazing varieties of roses. I'm not ready for the maintenance they require.
For now, I'll stick to my "love to be neglected, love to bloom beautifully" bougainvilla which I have discovered a knack for, here in South Florida. WOW! WOW! WOW!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9336511

would love to see a picture of yours.

Here is mine during TS Debbie earlier this year. This is our view out from the dinning room.

Jan

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9336851

Interesting about cutting them back to the perimeter of the pot, I amd going to try that on a potted B. arborea that gets way out of bounds. Thanks for sharing.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9337038

I love love love them. Have given up here, but from Ft.Lauderdale south, they are the bomb. Same with the frangi pangi tress (plumeria), I love that they are actually big trees , not just ornamentals.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9338062

The maintenance man in Okeechobee says they are not allowed down there. It's not true, he just hates the thorns. They are a great security plans planted under windows.
They are gorgeous and I'd love to see a picture.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9339971

This is the 1st year mine did not bloom like crazy. They are planted out of range of the sprinkler system so they normally don't get too wet. The woman at the local nursery told me it was because they got too much rain from the 2 tropical storms in the Spring. So hopefully they will recover & be fine next year.

In HI they are grown as 8' shrubs at property lines.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America