Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

November 18, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9336697

I posted this under tomato horn worms, but that was not what I intended. I live in a mountainous zone 5 where frost free days can go between 80 and 120-130. It is problematic to get tomatos and melons some years, both of which are favorites. I grow tomatoes against a south facing wall, inside a 5 gallon bucket with the botton cut out and a couple gallon jugs of water down along the stem. This helps immensely, but I wondered if I might get some things earlier if I had a protective area to start them earlier.

If frost threatens it is easy to throw row cover over the pails or what ever you use to contain heat around the bottom of the tomato plant. I leave the water jugs there all season as it helps keep the night time temperatures up and helps fruit to set better

The hoop house is still under construction so success will not be known for a while.

Thumbnail by nancynursez637   Thumbnail by nancynursez637
Click an image for an enlarged view.

eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9338812

This post was edited because it is obvious to this poster that no helpfull information about hoop houses or green houses is needed.

A fine hoop house enjoy.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2012 11:32 PM

This message was edited Nov 29, 2012 1:10 AM
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

November 28, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9345141

Well, I have 2 doors, 4 windows and will have sides that raise, and may have to put a portable fan in it.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9356973

Gee, I just added a lot of info in the hornworm thread about hoop houses.
Sounds like you are building the delux version. Pretty much a green house.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9358528

How about a quick and dirty fix, to extend this crop while the greenhiosue is still under construction?

You already have PVC pipe and great mechanical skills.

Cut a few pipes down to 5-6 feet, and either make low hoops or a lean-to or a pup-tent shape over the existing buckets.
Throw 2 - 4 mil plastic over the skeleton.

Shovel dirt or stack bricks to keep the North edge tight to the ground, and lay 2x4s to hold down the other edge when you aren't harvesting , watering or weeding.

Think of it as a very heavy floating row cover, propped up on PVC.

Keeping any heatg in at night should get you through a few light frosts, and that might give you enough time for a harvest.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America