Photo by Melody

Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!: Everything homemade, even the sauce

Communities > Forums > Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!Replies: 3, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

November 19, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9336852

This year, I made homemade cranberry sauce, stuffing, everything. We had Thanksgiving early so our children could visit with in-laws. I have made and canned my cranberry sauce for a while now. So much better than the store stuff, and you can add whatever spices you like. I put up enough jars to last until the next year's cranberries come out at the roadside produce markets here in SE Mass.
I make many bar cookies and desserts with cranberries, too, not to mention cranberry bread, and you will always find cranberries in my freezer.
Did you know that cranberries also grow in Lithuania. My husband's and my ancestors are from this tiny Baltic country and my grandfather would talk about picking them in the wild.
Great article. Loved it. Will now try adding orange peel to my canned sauce.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9337102

Lithuania? Hunh. I had heard of them in Finland...so I guess the far Northern habitable parts of Europe. And to me, they taste close to those Ikea Lingon berries, or at least, the Lingonberry products they sell remind me of cranberry juice, over-sweetened but tart. Yes, you will enjoy the orange added flavor.

Just yesterday we made the annual trek to the grocery store to stock up on fresh berries, even here in Texas! Also, this year I am planning to make cran-orange-nut bread, but I have to go back for the orange and the nut. Made me think again of the history of canned fruit I learned when I originally wrote this article. I'm glad to see it still has fans. Thanks for your comment--I learn from each person.
mossbound
Annapolis, MD

November 19, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9337103

Oh no, you've moved to TEXAS? If I ever got back to Massachusetts, I'd never leave again, my years in Boston/Cambridge were the best in my life!

But cranberries go with me wherever I go. I can get packaged ones year-round at one grocery or another but back when they were available mostly in November, I'd buy & freeze several pounds. One time, I said to my daughter, "Oh, we can put cranberries in this -- whatver we were making -- I've got some in the freezer." She said, "Mom, you ALWAYS have cranberries in your freezer." True enough!

I make my grandma's Thanksgiving sauce year-round, too: one package cranberries, two (or 1 1/2) fresh whole oranges, sugar, chopped medium in my food processor. Grandma used an old meat-grinder clamped to the table edge but foolishly I gave it away years ago. My brother insists it doesn't taste as good made in the processor & I think he's right but I eat it year-round as a side dish, on peanut butter sandwiches, on hot oatmeal or instead of syrup on pancakes.

Grandma always put 2 oranges to a package of cranberries but they were 16-oz packages. Now they are only 12-oz, like so much else. So I usually use 1 1/2.

I use chopped frozen or dried cranberries in cookies, breads, cakes, anything I can think of. You can never have too many cranberries!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9337111

Oh, they can't keep me here forever. It's a cultural experiment. Fear not.

Yes, I put cranberries in everything too, to the point where my family finally rebelled. And when the freezer broke, one August, I won't tell you how many packages of frozen cranberries were tucked behind the leftover ice packs and the chicken breasts of no known age.

I hope you're using unsweetened dried cranberries. MY grandmother (b. 1901) had one of those grinders too. Thanks for your comment!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adding Cranberries to my grocery list! rcn48 6 Dec 17, 2007 1:24 AM
No more round slices ... GreenAtHeart 25 Nov 30, 2014 9:52 AM
Hey phicks 26 Dec 16, 2007 11:28 PM
Cranberry relish - year around birder17 17 Dec 6, 2014 2:12 PM
We LOVE Cranberries all year 'round! Aunt_A 3 Mar 23, 2008 7:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America