Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sewing and Quilting: What I did this morning

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 15, Views: 186
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9337464

I hung two wall hangings this morning. Finally! The first one will be hanging over my new computer when ever Apple starts selling it's new 21.5 " one. First I had to decide exactly where I wanted it to hang. Level with the door or the window, centered on the wall, how far down from the top of the quilt do I put the nails? Nails or screws? And, it has to be level... The hanging sleeve is made from a table cloth I found at a second hand shop. Remember when painting with pens was popular? That's not what it was called but I can't remember ... Anyway it makes good hanging sleeves. The wood is door stops that is use in door frames. I got it at Home Depot. I decided that nails would be ok for this quilt. I put them in at a bit of an angle as, of course, I didn't find a stud in the right place. I was pleased with the result.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9337469

Really like the pottery fabric. It looks like something you need in AZ.

How have you been????

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9337478

The second one is smaller and I used a yard stick cut to fit for the rod. I picked up several yard sticks from True Value. I don't remember what they cost but it wasn't much and they work real well for small wall hangings. I used nails for this one also. If I had a wall hanging that was much wider and heavier than the first one I would probably use anchors and screws. I have used several ways of hanging wall quilts. I think I like this way best. I can fill in and paint over the nail holes pretty easily if I change the size of wall hangings.
Does any one have more ideas of how to hang wall hangings?

Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9337487

Hi qwilter, I have been sewing like a demented whatever... I'm trying to finish a few things. I started counting my UFO's and quit at 34...
I fell in love with the pot fabric. I like bright colors. And pots. I did some experimenting with the sashing on this one, color wise. I don't know how successful it was but it was fun.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
3:13 AM

Post #9337803

Nice job, Gloria. I love the way you did the sashing on the pottery quilt. Just bee-u-ti-full!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9337839

Those look wonderful. I too like the different sashing. And I just love the attic window sashing. It sets off your cat pieces just perfectly.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9337874

I have that cat fabric. Made some pillows from a couple pics.

This AM I "FINALLY" painted the last 3 X 4 section of wall in my studio. There had been a cabinet in front of it. Moved the cabinet then couldn't find the paint. This afternoon I'll cut 3" off the bottom of the 2 small cabinets so they fit under the cutting table, move the big cabinet back to the now painter wall, move the chest of drawers (craft storage) over, then paint that 1 last piece of the floor and hang my design wall. Then I do believe I'm done out there for the year.

After all is moved I can get back to the Long Arm and get a couple projects done.

And, the SUN IS SHINING!!!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9338114

Love those. Great job. Love the colors. Man, I wish I could put the different shad together like that and have it look that good.

Well Jean, I am knee deep in strips and little pieces of fabric everywhere. These wonky blocks have eaten my sewing room. How you did 40 is so beyond me, especially in that amount of time.
I dont know how to copy and paste on this computer, but if you go to the link they send you to look at everyones blocks, there are pictures of some cool things people have done and I wanted to post it. If you have it, maybe you could do it, if you think anyone would like to see some of that stuff.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9338418

looks fantastic, Gloria

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9339354

Thanks everyone for your kind words. The pattern I used for the pot quilt is called 'Star Sashing'. I got it in a package of poly batting (yes, I use poly batting on occasion...) many years ago. I have made it many times, mostly kids quilts. You can use different prints for the squares and have just two colors for the stars and sashing. I've been thinking about using some of my kitty fabric in a Star Sashing. And maybe another quilt in the attic window pattern, and maybe a snow ball quilt. I have enough kitty fabric do them all...
Qwilter, don't hurt yourself doing hand springs when you get your 'studio' all together!!
I took a quilt off yesterday and am now sewing the binding on. 'Marie' and I had a bit of a set-to over breaking thread but after I changed out the needle, changed the spool of thread, oiled her a bit, and readjusted everything, especially my attitude, I finally got the darn thing quilted... Next to go one is the Christmas table topper I made from some of the 5" squares we all exchanged last year.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9339675

Gloria - ah, I see "Marie" has the same attitude at times as Qwilly. I had gone for months and not had to adjust the bobbin case. Then, out of the blue, I'm having to check it every time I put in a new bobbin. Same threads...Guess she was feeling neglected!!!!

Goal today is to move the dresser then put my my "new" felt design wall!!!!! A floor to ceiling design wall so I can plan large projects.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9339912

I LOVE that star sashing, it too is on my "some day" list. I even bought some coordinating fabric that I thought would be cute to use. ALAS, it's deep in the "Some day" and "Round Tuit" piles.

Daughter #2 & her husband just bought a new home and they have recessed area above the fireplace where many people now put their TVs. There is a plug in and cable connection there, the whole thing HOWEVER, they didn't put their TV there!!! I'd like to make a wall hanging big enough to cover up the eye sore. Furring out and putting up a false wall over the back then putting a BIG flower arrangement or sculpture would be a great focal feature but we're see what they decide.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9339929

Pat, I think a quilt backing in that area would be very nice. You could start a new trend.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9343167

Qwilter, you are going to LOVE that design wall!! I don't know how I managed before I put one up. I'd certainly hate to do without it now. Are you ready to 'Ready!! Get set!! Quilt!!!' ???
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9343181

I didn't get the Felt up (yet). Did get a lot of other projects taken care of.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9343371

Getting "Ready" is half the battle Jean, I'm sure you're in a better position to enjoy the completed wall now that you got other projects done in preparation.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America