Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: What's Eating Me? Clues to Bug Destruction from a Tropical/Succulent Point of View: the horrible beetles

Communities > Forums > Article: What's Eating Me? Clues to Bug Destruction from a Tropical/Succulent Point of View
bookmark
Forum: Article: What's Eating Me? Clues to Bug Destruction from a Tropical/Succulent Point of ViewReplies: 0, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
aggy
Glendale, CA

November 19, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9337658

The article covers pretty much everything eating stuff in my garden (also Southern Ca, LA) with the notable exception of the disgusting shrimp-looking larvae I've been seeing more and more each year - I don't know if these are June bugs or the imported Japanese beetles I've been reading about as devastating gardens back East... they certainly don't come out in June. They're sitting under ground about a foot deep (or even 3' + as I've recently discovered transplanting a sizable orange tree) & I've been digging them out in various stages of metamorphosis all through late September which is when skunks figured they're ripe to be dug out...

I've never actually sat there to observe one crawling out to see if it's shiny Japanese green or the boring looking cousin. Thankfully, I don't see any beetles, June or otherwise, hanging about above ground. Still, I can see plants recovering whenever I move them and while moving, dig out sometimes dozens of these things, so they must be causing damage.

any idea how big of a problem these are (whatever? they are) for other folk in the area?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What's Eating Me? Clues to Bug Destruction from a Tropical/Succulent Point of View Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
microscopic bug on adenium obesum? wandygirl 2 Aug 5, 2010 5:47 AM
Slugs in the tropics?? Oberon46 0 Aug 9, 2010 7:33 AM
What's eating my merigolds? seekineden 2 Aug 11, 2010 8:22 AM
Less toxic alternatives topchlf 0 Aug 9, 2010 1:45 PM
Well done! jazzy1okc 0 Aug 10, 2010 5:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America