-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9337878

I thought this was Angelonia Seed, however, I thought Angelonia Seed was a dark black seed a little larger than a pin head. This seed is tan and like dust. Please advise.

Thumbnail by birder17
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9339756

What you have there is Penstemon -- the blooms are quite similar, BUT that "hard seed casing" is Penstemon. I have a bunch of them.
Angelonia - I have only seen in bloom.

I just found Angelonia Serena Mix seeds in my seed box, and they are a light tan
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9340906

Hi tsc,
Thanks for responding.
I just cut stems of seeded pods of Penstemon a couple of days ago. Although the pods look a lot like the pods/seeds I posted, the Penstemon pods are smaller than the seed pods I posted.

This is so weird.

I remember cutting this stem from the Angelonia plant (white bloom) I had on my deck this summer. I left it on my patio table for about a month and then, brought it inside to harvest the seeds.
During this same time, August, I cut some of the stems with blooms on the Angelonia (same plant on the deck). I was going to try to root some cuttings. As they sat on my kitchen cabinet, I noticed black seeds that came from the Angelonia falling onto my kitchen cabinet. Then, in November, when I opened the dried up seed pods of the posted picture, they were tan and like dust. So, it appears, I had black seeds about the size of a half of a rice seed from the white flowers of the Angelonia and tan seeds from the seed pods.

I Thought Angelonia seeds was supposed to be "like dust", but when I noticed the black seeds on my cabinet back in August, I became unsure what the dried posted seed pods and tan seeds were. Hence, that's why I posted this picture because I was confused about the black seeds from the white flowers vs. the tan seeds from the dried pods.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America