Seed ID

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't know what this seed is. Can anyone possibly ID it?

Thumbnail by birder17
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry -- I've never seen one like that before.

sometimes - if I have a NoID, I just germinate it and see what comes up.

I know there is a 'seed ID web site' -- I'll see if i cant find it.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I have done that in the past. Every time I mess up by not labeling my seeds, I promise myself I won't do it again. I have gotten better, but two different seeds managed to end up without labels!

Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is a site that I've found useful and interesting.
http://theseedsite.co.uk/
Hope it helps you.
Jan

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Hiya! I was just wondering, Birder, did you ever identify that seed of yours? Was thinking maybe Larkspur...?? (more specifically; Delphinium carolinianum virescens)..??

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

THey look a bit like Eremurus seeds.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

If I had unknown seeds in July, I would sow half of them now outdoors and keep moist. If they germinated I would keep the seedlings undercover for the winter in case they were tender and plant them out once they seemed to be coming on well in the spring. If they didn't germinate I would leave them out for the winter.

The other half, I would sow in late October and leave outdoors over the winter..

They will be easier to recognize and ID as seedlings or small plants.

Birder, you still here? What did the blooms from which you harvested these seeds look like? That should help us identify them for you. =)

Good plan of action Cinemike, one way or another something should come from all that sowing you suggested. Personally, I'd do the same -- just direct-sow some of the seed now and see what happens. :)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I've done the same as sincemike.... germinate some to see what you get.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Been on vacation. Out of touch with the computer.

They were larkspur seeds. Speediebean was right.

I'm so glad you were able to figure it out! Pray tell, how did you figure it out? Did you plant them and they bloomed beautifully for you? Would love to see pics if you have them, please? =)

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

This was posted in Nov. 2012. I had collected seed during the growing season of 2012. When I started to start seeds in the winter of 2013, I noticed I had Larkspur seeds from earlier years exactly the same that were in the above picture.

Thanks to all who gave input on this thread.

My Larkspur get very tall--4-5'.

Here's a few of the larkspur:

Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17

Beautimous!!!!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, Thanks. I really like the complimentary color scheme of blue and orange.

It's cool and warm at the same time... and yet somehow not confusing. HOW do you DO that!?!? < =D

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Mostly Mother Nature and a little bit of me! :)

You have a wonderful eye for the right combinations, Dear Lady. When I look at that little spot of Heaven of yours, it feels warm and embracing and soothing.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, thanks. I think we both like the same color combo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.