Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Japanese Maples: Root Pruning a containerized japanese maple- HELP!

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 3, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eskinola
Glen Riddle Lima, PA

November 20, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9338394

Hello, first post to this forum...

We have a containerized butterfly japanese maple that i'm sure has reached past its pot and gone into the ground. we've had it for 6 years and i only root pruned the first 3 years. i'm nervous to even try to root prune it. it's in a very heavy, large thick walled terra cotta pot, which is part of the reason i've been "lazy" to root prune it. (well having been pregnant for almost 3 of those six years also factors in, lol.

i'm afraid of killing it. is it even possible to root prune gradually? we're moving house hopefully in the next 2-3 years and would like to take it with us. it was a gift from a family friend.

it's about 7-8 feet high, plus the pot, which is about 2 1/2 feet high.

any hope?

thanks,

joy
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9338909

Have you tipped the pot to see if the roots are coming through?

I doubt you would kill it taking it out of the pot to trim the roots if needed - however i would wait until early spring before it leafs out to do so - doing it now would only stress the tree i believe.
eskinola
Glen Riddle Lima, PA

November 23, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9340637

thanks wha-

yes, the roots are coming thru- 2 giant roots through the pot. will wait until early spring. it is in a protected spot under the eaves of our house, East exposure. sometimes it leafs out pretty early.

how does that work out with leaf pruning and root pruning? don't want to prune leaves while the sap is rising. should i leaf prune after all the leaves fall, so i don't stress out the tree before leaf pruning in spring?

i'm in zip code 19063 of that helps.

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9341871

do all the pruning before the sap runs.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America