how to overwinter hyssop blue fortune

Levittown, PA

This was my first year for hyssop blue fortune and montauk daisy, both did great but not sure if I should cut back now or wait til spring. I am in ZIP code 19054, I believe still considered zone 4b-5. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I am in zone 7 -- I grew blue fortune (before hubby had a bad reaction to bee sting) and always cut it to the ground in winter. It made it just fine and was huge by the following fall. It smells so great when it rains - licorace. I loved that thing!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You're either zone 6 or zone 7 (based on looking up Levittown--assuming that's what your zip code corresponds to): http://davesgarden.com/zone/show/PoppysueWorld So they should both overwinter just fine.

Levittown, PA

Question I had was should I cut back in spring or now. Also same ?? for montauk daisy. Thanks.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2012 10:29 AM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I always leave stuff over the winter and trim in the spring, but it's really personal preference. Both of them are herbaceous, so they'll put out new growth from the base in the spring regardless of what you do with the dead stalks.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

As I said I cut to ground early before winter really set in. No experience with the m daisy.

Athens, PA

Montauk Daisy gets cut back by a third in December and June. I had one for years and it flowered every fall. Just follow the December and June schedules and you will be fine.

By the way - be sure to give Montauk Daisy a lot of room. They get huge!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Levittown, PA

Thanks for all suggestions

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.