Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

cobaea scandens (cup and scaucer vine)

limassol, Cyprus

Hi, please can help, i have a cobaea scanden vine growing in a container which is one year old, it has and is flowering quite well, although it seems healthy and is 8 ft tall the leaves turn puple, but it does'nt seem to affect the growing. It gets the plenty of sun and is now 8ft tall and has spread with suport 12-15ft along a wall. I live in the mountain area of cyprus with temperatures up to 40% in summer down to about 10% with no frosts. looking forward to any sugestions. regards

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi Barney. I assume your temps are in Celcius, so your average winter low would be around 50 degrees, correct? the plant should winter-over just fine if that is the case. From what I have read, the leaves naturally take on tones of brown or purple.

http://books.google.com/books?id=dnZgLotLhpAC&pg=PA133&lpg=PA133&dq=Why+are+my++cobaea+scandens+leaves+turning+purple&source=bl&ots=4p9aTCKavH&sig=CTL1BjR6izxUAMwh7k5mPgbq6bg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nO-sUIaXO5S08ATlzYCwAw&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=Why%20are%20my%20%20cobaea%20scandens%20leaves%20turning%20purple&f=false

limassol, Cyprus

thanks themoonhow, yes temp around 40- 50. stop thinking it's dying then.!

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I would say it is safe to assume it is doing just what it is supposed to do. You are most welcome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.