Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?: My life as a turkey

Communities > Forums > Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?Replies: 4, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
12:21 AM

Post #9339609

PBS shows a documentary about ;this time of ;year about a wild life artist and researcher who got 16 wild turkey eggs from a neighbor and incubated them, allowed them to imprint on him and he raised them, learned their language, learned a lot about them and documented his year of being a turkey mother. I loved it and I learned sooo much about wild turkeys. They are extremely intelligent and surprisingly social. who knew?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9339746

They're remarkable; no doubt. I can see why they were on the "short list" of nominees for National Bird. :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9339866

Sounds fascinating steadycam!

Our local paper had an article today about a turkey rescue farm. There was a cute picture of two turkeys pecking at their holiday dinner of pumpkin and stuffed squash, at a decorated table. Wish I could post it, it was cute!
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

November 26, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9342890

Steadycam, I saw this documentary last night for the very first time and truly enjoyed it. I tried hunting wild turkey many years ago and, when it came time to pull the trigger, I just could not do it. The flock had emerged from a dense blanket of fog looking for all the world like a troop of dinosaurs. I was just spellbound. After seeing the film, I know why! Domestic turkeys are just not very smart birds, but their wild cousins truly are a most amazing and highly evolved species!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9343429

Jazzy, Im so glad you enjoyed it. The man truly gave us a gift with his investent of time.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
In the Garden irisMA 5 Nov 28, 2008 2:16 AM
Great phicks 9 Nov 28, 2008 7:43 PM
Wild Turkeys have their own website! gloria125 5 Nov 28, 2008 6:48 PM
Gardening software Petergt 1 Dec 1, 2008 2:54 PM
turkeys in my garden lhillsman 1 Jun 27, 2009 10:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America