Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Recipes: Stuffing recipes

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 17, Views: 246
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9340023

Last year i wrote my favorite stuffing recipe down for a couple of men here in our condo complex, being they both liked it very much. Today I get a phone call from Hawaii from a friend of a friend of one of the men i gave the recipe to. I personally don't have it saved anywhere other than my head and hands and it does turn out differently each time. Mine is a italien sausage/bread stuffing/dressing.I need to get a hold of that printed version.

Would any one care to share their version of stuffing/dressing.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9340468

Italian Sausage and Bread Stuffing

yield: Makes 8 (side dish) servings
active time: 45 min
total time: 2 1/4 hr

This is the stuffing of your dreams, in which everything is a little more rustic, rich, and intense than you remember.

Ingredients

1 (3/4- to 1-pound) round Italian loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes (8 cups)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 pouns sweet Italian sausage, casings removed, divided
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 medium onions, chopped
4 large celery ribs, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
1/2 cup turkey giblet stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (2 ounces)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Equipment: a 4-qt shallow ceramic or glass baking dish (14 by 10 by 2 3/4 inches)

preparation

Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle. Generously butter baking dish.

Put bread in 2 shallow baking pans and bake, switching position of pans halfway through baking, until just dried out, about 10 minutes.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then cook half of sausage, stirring and breaking it into small pieces, until golden brown, about 6 minutes.

Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. Brown remaining sausage in remaining tablespoon oil, transferring to bowl.

Pour off fat from skillet and wipe clean. Heat butter over medium heat until foam subsides, then cook onions, celery, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.

Add vegetables and bread to sausage.

Whisk together eggs, 1/2 cup cream, turkey stock, cheese, and parsley, then stir into stuffing and cool completely, about 30 minutes.

Reserve 5 cups stuffing to stuff turkey and spoon remainder into baking dish, then drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup cream. Cover stuffing and chill.

About 1 hour before stuffed turkey is finished roasting, bring dish of stuffing to room temperature. When turkey is done, increase oven temperature to 425F and bake stuffing, covered tightly with foil, until hot throughout, about 20 minutes.

Remove foil and bake until top is golden and crisp, about 15 minutes more.

Bread can be toasted 3 days ahead and kept (once cool) in a sealed bag at room temperature.
Stuffing can be prepared (but not baked) 4 hours before roasting turkey.
If baking stuffing at the same time as potatoes, put stuffing in upper third of oven and potatoes in bottom third (allow extra time).

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 23, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9340509

that is so neat so similar to mine. no garlic and no parm cheese. I use about 6 cups of bread cubes and 2 cups of pepperidge farm ( has to be as DD works there) seasoned white bread cubes. Fesh herbs you don't need to buy each year.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9345072

Kay---

I also make Sausage stuffing and it is loved by all. Would not make any other.

I pretty much do the same thing you do--except I do not use eggs. What is the role of the eggs?
I also let all the fat be--just adds flavor.

I brown the garlic and onion in one stick of butter and then add one Jimmy Dean, or any other sweet sausage,
chunked up-- Let that cook a while--then add the celery and keep sauteing until soft.
Then I add some of the bread stuffing and mix it through and brown it a bit.

Then I dump it all in a big bowl and add the rest of the stuffing cubes, some home-made chicken stock
and mix it all in adding any herbs and seasonings as needed. Sage..Thyme..Poultry Seasoning, Onion powder, etc...
Then I put it all in a casserole pan and bake it until it is slightly browned. Maybe 30 min. or so.

PS--I like to have mixed bread cubes--so I will buy a loaf of seeded Jewish Rye (LOVE the caraway seed taste)
and also a loaf of dark rye bread. I dice it all up and spread it on a cookie sheet.
Then I spray it all with some OO and sprinkle some Onion Powder and Poultry seasoning over all.
Maybe some sage and Thyme as well. Trying to duplicate "Herb Seasoned Stuffing" here.

Then I mix it with the regular, store bought stuffing mix and proceed making my stuffing...
I never stuff the bird. I bake it as a side in the oven.

Gita

This message was edited Nov 28, 2012 10:37 PM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9345200

The eggs serve to bind all the ingredients together.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9345294

For me, its corn bread stuffing all the way. Corn bread must be made in my grandmothers cast iron skillet. Susage in it has always sounded good to me tho. My mother only broke it to me last year that it did in fact have egg in it. I love it so much I decided to overlook that fact. I detest eggs, altho I have always wanted to like them scrambled at least. I really like making fried eggs, but leave when they are being eaten. The runny yolk just doesnt work for me, cant even look.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9345296

I did get a copy of my recipe from one of the guys. Pretty much like Kay Jones'

I only use 2 eggs. Eggs,makes it like a savory bread pudding according to the Barefoot Comtessa aca Ina Garten

I stuff the bird, I feel it gives the bird flavor. Then I go slow on the eggs, only one or two.

Also make this stuffing omitting the sausage, for Sunday Special Dinner, "stuffed chicken". For this I use milk to soften the bread.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9345306

Just to clear up a point, this is NOT the recipe for stuffing that I make - I found this recipe on the internet, in response to Helen's post. Mine is very simple - bread, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, eggs, onion, cream of celery soup, salt, pepper and a teeny bit of sage. I don't put any inside the bird, but bake it in a pan at 450 for 40 minutes - comes out perfect every time!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9345638

This is not a recipe but I want to share what we do. I make a traditional herb bread stuffing with a mirepoix and mushrooms. The mirepoix and mushrooms are sauteed with half butter and half extra virgin olive oil. I use eggs not just to bind but eggs also add a richer flavor. The liquid is homemade chicken stock made from roasted chickens, not boiled. I stuff the bird if it is not a large one but make it on the side if the bird is over eighteen pounds. But I also make a cornbread dressing that I've dubbed S.W style and that is what I wanted to share...

SO gently grills lots of onions and red peppers five or more days before TG. Around four onions sliced on their ring side and in quarters and four peppers. The onions and peppers can be roasted for a similar effect. I make a big iron skillet of cornbread dressing like Gardenglory. You can use a package of the store brand. During the days the onions and peppers spend in the fridge they weep a sweet nectar. There is more each day. When it comes time to assemble the dressing I chop up the onions and peppers coarsely and toss with the cornbread along with that nectar. Then finely chop to a paste a chipotle in adobo or two and scatter and toss in the mix. Then add one can of creamed corn with two lightly beaten eggs and toss lightly. If you don't want eggs that's okay. Now add enough stock or water to moisten and pour in a casserole that has been coated with good extra virgin olive oil. Drizzle some of the extra virgin over the top and bake covered for thirty to forty five minutes at 350, uncovering the last ten minutes. You can guild the lily by poking grated, good quality extra sharp cheddar like Tillamook or Cabot, and sprinkling a tad on the top but this is not necessary. This is my proprietary preparation. I've not seen another recipe like it.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9345723

Laurel, your stuffing sounds wonderful, will copy and remember it next year. Love foods that have no "official" recipes.Thanks for sharing.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9345750

You are so very welcome. I encourage you to not wait the year out though. It's a great side dish. Many people don't make their own cornbread. i have used the bagged version when in a pinch. Stores have the bagged versions available and on sale now.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9545365

Received word that our Helene (helenethequeen) passed May 5th. Melody has created a memory garden. Helene was so generous in sharing her personal Old World history and cooking knowledge. She will surely be missed.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2013
4:02 AM

Post #9545610

My sympathy to the family. I read Helene's comments often and will miss her wisdom and contributions.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9545641

Oh, My... I loved reading about her cooking.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9545651

It would be great if you all would post on her memory page. I know her daughter really appreciates reading the kind words. She will be missed in so many ways.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9546418

I posted there.

For those who knew her for one or another of her many talents and skills you may not have known how broad range her abilities were. She was the classic Renaissance woman. Love it or hate it, that definitely defined her here at DG. She could cook, sew, knit, needlepoint, embroider and garden. She was a repository of culinary and handiwork skills and eager to share. She also spent much time and attention to gathering up informational sources for others and linking those sources for the benefit of those here.
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9563997

Oh my, had she been sick? I enjoyed reading about her preparing food for her family.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9591822

Helene had been in failing health for some time. She tried to stay connected here at DG while struggling with various problems. She was closest to those on the quilting forum and since she shared her work through "block swaps" with a number of people on that forum she has left many tangible memories in the hands of others.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America