-
AuthorContent
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 23, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9340685

Hi all. New thread. We came from here... ... ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286121/

First bloom on 'Old Apricot' x 'Fernando'. Seed supplied by Allan Little, grown here at "Flora" by me.
The bloom is approximately 300 mm in length. I cannot detect any fragrance.
So far, P&D resistant, despite broad mites attacking other ne...
w seedlings nearby.
I am hoping for the generous and recurrent flushes of the pod parent 'Old Apricot'. Already this plant seems to have inherited OA's "healthiness".
From 'Fernando', double blooms - dropped skirt as opposed to a tightly gathered inner corolla.
Thank you Allan for the seed, I will post "Y" cuttings up to you after blooming.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 23, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9340692

Today the "lips" turned up! Will post pics later - have to dash, family over soon for lunch.
W.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 23, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9341019

Thanks Wayne ...can't wait to see the upturned petal tips ! lovely.
I hope you had a lovely lunch with the family.

Poor Jean has lost her internet due to fire down her way, poor thing.
Thanks for letting us know Dianne.

It's been very hot here ...I am glad I took those pics this morning, oh well.
Our thoughts are with our Southern friends suffering fire problems.

Can't wait for the Sun to sink so I can go back outside.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 23, 2012
11:30 PM

Post #9341029

Wayne and Allan, congrats on that lovely white double...I hope it's skirts stay separate...
Looking forward to the next pics...
I have the same cross putting it's first buds on now...

The seed from the PPfasc x Bruce's Pink will be sent on Monday...good luck, they should produce something pretty...

This is the first Knightii for the season, quite different from the norm...a very pretty shape and have a look at the second skirt...very pointy and it's been tucked up inside for 3 days...funny little thing...

Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 24, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9341337

Good luck Dianne, and thank you for your comment. I will post some pics later.

Poor Jean. I hope that things get sorted.

Here are some pics of 'Pink Champagne' - 'Bucks Fizz' x noid.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 24, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9341352

What a beauty Wayne !

Any more pics of your double white ?

The big heat is heading this way today ...so batten down the hatches ...frizzle alert !
Protect those baby brugs ...they need shade (the little ones). The large ones may lose leaves, once they get up near 40C.

Off to do stuff before it gets too hot.

One month until Christmas ! YIKES !
Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 24, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9341422

Two more pics of the double white ('Old Apricot' x 'Fernando') taken this morning.
The tube has coloured slightly - apricot.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 24, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9341482

Too hot now ...Wayne that is very exciting, we may have our first Aussie double Apricot ! :-)
Congrats Wayne & Allan ! well done !
I am very much looking forward to my Fernando seedlings blooming, that will be a year away for me.

Looking forward to the Big Brug explosion to come here in Australia.
I know the future of Brugs are in safe hands out there,
couldn't be more proud of all of you.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9341590

WOW what to say about this one getting prettier Day by day and the apricots coming through on the double is Amazing
Can't wait for another pic in a day or to to see the true color
Congrats Allan & Wayne
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 24, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9341682

Thanks Shaun.

We might have a new member joining us... Maurice from Victoria!
So let's hope all works out and he can connect here. Maurice has years of experience in growing Brugs and has produced some lovely cultivars.
W.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 24, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9341725

Wow another Brug Nut ...Wayne that would be terrific !
Tell Maurice not to be shy, love to meet him here.

Well we almost cooked today 37C whew !, 41C next Sunday ARGH !!!!
Stay cool everyone ! I will have to give in and put the fan on. :-)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
12:11 AM

Post #9341732

Yes another Brug Nut will be great and from Vic even better. We are all crazy for new members and they are welcome as chrissy said DONT BE SHY we all started out being new to DG
tho many have been growing for many years we all are still learning with new tricks and tips coming throw every weeks form 1 place or another

So WELCOME MAURICE when you get here
mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

November 25, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9341733

I have been shamed into this. I will attempt to remain humble on recept of your accolades Mavrice. I have messed up the pics try harder next time

Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 25, 2012
1:21 AM

Post #9341737

Wow ! and welcome Maurice ...that is a stunning Brug, do you happen to know the cross ?
Love love love it ! :-)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9341741

WELCOME Maurice
What a lovely Brugmansia it sure has aurea about it
And about messing up pics we do it all the time hahahahah

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 25, 2012
2:00 AM

Post #9341746

Nothing wrong with those pictures (yes we mess up all the time) ...great to see another Victorian grower here isn't it.

chrissy
mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

November 25, 2012
2:45 AM

Post #9341759

The pod was my clementine and the pollen was aurea (goldenes Kornett) I have a ttemporary sight impairment so allow for erros

Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice

mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

November 25, 2012
2:53 AM

Post #9341762

Another error, at least you were warned, correct picture attached. m

Thumbnail by mavrice

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
3:08 AM

Post #9341765

Maurice thats all ok you will get it soon we all buggered up at the start tryiing to get certin pics on and finding that it was the wrong on

may i ask you about your goldenes Kornett we dont have this plant in Australia but we have many aurea's depending where you obtained it depends what it could be called ie: aurea(form) , GHA ect i have about 14 aurea type varieties and the largest gathering so far looking to find out what is related or not by crossing them with each other
it would be very interesting to find that you could have a different one to all of ours but its pretty like your cross very nice indeed
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 25, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9342058

Hi Maurice, glad that you found your way here! You are in good company - everyone here is a learner and always helpful.
Your pics are great, congratulations on your plants.
W.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 25, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9342140

Good morning everyone.

Yes the frizzles out there ...too too hot yesterday, limp toasted blooms.
That is the way of it in this kind of weather.

I hope some of the gardens escaped it.
How did yours fair ?

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 25, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9342592

Hi Maurice, welcome...

Your Clementine cross looks lovely, does it have the Clementine fragrance or is it an aurea perfume?...
Nice to see a yellow/apricot double.
We will be looking forward to all of your crosses, etc...
Have you looked at BGI yet?
http://www.brugmansia.us/index.html

Not hot here Chrissy...only 22C

Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 25, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9342640

It was awfully hot today, but we have had a rolling storm in the last couple of hours.
heavy rain and lots of big rumbles and such.
very welcome indeed !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 25, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9342643

The weatherman told us that it will be 39C to 40C in the city come Friday (Sydney) Nooooooo!
Add 5C to that for our area. Hermit time for me, can't do that kind of heat.
Time to dig out Huanduj.

I forgot to say the Clementine x Aurea Cross is a great cross, (so glad 'The Chief' ...Genes are living on ).
Thankyou so very much for showing and sharing that info Maurice.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100         

mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

November 26, 2012
1:00 AM

Post #9342658

I put away a few oddds & sods away last autumn to clean up some beds and have not been checking with this eye problem. There was this plant, on of the miniature, and the only one to have a canopy, with a blossom onit. Imagine my surprise when I lifted it up and saw this

Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice      

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

November 26, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9342668

Hi and welcome, thank you for the pictures.
mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

November 26, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9343224

Hi All. Pourning with rain, has been very very dry so rather pleased with the world. Of the plants from the pod in the series, there is about 10 that are almost miniature. I am showing them in this message . The most recent one to flower was included in the previous post.The first and second were photoed in November 2011 on their first flowering. The third pic shows themn side by side 26 November 2012. The fourth shows another three flowering for the first time 26 November 2012.

Have others had these variations from their sowings? Do you think there could be a market for these miniature ones?

Depending how thinkgs turn out eye wise, I have results from two other pods I could post as well.

Does anyone know if sangenea can self polinate. I had 15 pods where I had pollinated with almost every brug with flowers.. I sowed 20 seeds from each po and selected the three largest and three smallest plants and four others that appeared variant. Almost all grew and prospered and are identical in every way. I was concidering reversing the cross, so that the pod would be the variable. are there any other ideas.

Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 26, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9343242

hi Maurice and everyone ...it is very steamy here today after the storms last night.
It has been my experience that once in the ground, the Brugs grow much bigger than in a pot.
Having said that ...who can really say if a plant remains a mini one or not until they try then both ways.
Some really don't want to grow upward but tend expand sideways. Example Love Potion no 9 and Pink Panther.

Your seedlings are very attractive, nice work. Are the fragrances like Aurea ? or sort of a citrus pine note ?
Just curious which parent may have passed on the scent.

I have no experience with the coldies so I will leave that to someone like Shaun to comment on those, I think the Sangs are selfing but I am not sure. Good luck with them, and once again many thanks for showing us your pretty Brugs :-)

chrissy
mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

November 26, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9343250

Hi Chrissy

They are all grown in the ground. I only put them in pots if I want to manipulate them in some way, better to illustrate something. The picture yesterday had plant that was seedling in a pot in December 2010, and has been in growing in paddock conditions since then. The three in a row were dug up when I saw buds forming, they are grown in paddocks,

Cheers M

Thumbnail by mavrice

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 26, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9343265

That is very interesting Maurice, perhaps the difference is our climate, I am only speaking from my experience here.
Wow look at all those coldies ! they would drop dead here from the heat.
Are you on acres too ? looks like you have plenty of room there.

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 26, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9343486

Great to see some of your results here Maurice. Growing seedlings in the open ground is a luxury! Here, I have to stick with 300mm pots. Anything that is half good gets potted up to the next big size. If worthy beyond that, it is into the ground!

You asked me by email if there are yellow flowering sanguineas here in Aus. Yes, a few. I did have 'Midas', however way too hot up here for him. Other folks on list here living south grow them. To my knowledge, all specie plants are self fertile, this being one characteristic which defines a plant as a species.

Here is the 'Old Apricot' x 'Fernando' seedling - day 5. It is shading up to a "blush" rather than "apricot". We will defiantly be putting this in the ground to see what happens...
Only problem is where? :(
W.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 26, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9343530

Wayne I love the long, long apricot tube on this one ...will it have a working name ?
I suspect it will turn Apricot in Autumn.
Isn 't Old Apricot amazing, it seems to inject it's colour into whatever you breed it to.
I think it is a real keeper for sure ! Old Apricot stays very pale at certain times too.
More storm weather tonight ! more steam ...

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
11:53 PM

Post #9343542

Maurice as Wayne stated about species are self fertile, I remember many years ago at Monash Uni experimental Botany division in Clayton there was a sanguine a that had like 40-50 pods on it and there were no other cold group members around so I would say yes they can produce pods from them selves

Talking about Yellow sanguinea I have 'Midas' the only available yellow in Australia at present I will have a few available soon with the cuttings taking pretty ok and there is about 10 plants so if your looking for that I may be able to help you out soon. DMail me if so?

By the way the sanguinea's in the ground are looking vey stunning and healthy all the blooms are looking good also keep us informed

Dianne thank you for the seed they arrived today and look very healthy
Wayne that cross will and should be a keeper and the building block to many other crosses with I'm sure OA what a great bloom congrats
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 26, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9343543

Thanks Chrissy.
More colour today... waiting for the photos to be developed! :)
Hopefully post tomorrow.
I am thinking of taking this one's pollen to 'Tantra'.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 27, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9343559

Yes that would be a great choice Wayne.
We have just had a big storm again ...lost power for a while, lots of noise and heavy rain.

For those who may not know ...Jean is still off air (poor thing), her whole area has suffered, many still suffering the lack of communication due to a fire in a sub station.

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2012/11/27/551167_latest-news.html
Lets hope they can get it fixed soon.

chrissy
mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

November 27, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9343756

Sea Changer mentioned aboit Clementine having fragrance so I did a survey, they are not all in the same location. I cut up the old plants and grow cuttings through the winter so I did survey, ab but my sensesd there are 20 plus but my senses are not that acute. They vary from small & miserable to vigorous and fragrant. I took some pics of the best of them.

Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice         

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 27, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9343835

A few more pics of OA x F, day 5.

Good rain here last night Chrissy - no probs.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter      

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9343898

Wayne it dose look like OA has injected all of its color on to this cross
what a lovely bloom day 5 and looking good

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 27, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9343926

That looks wonderful Wayne ...yes OA seems to hold the key to Double Apricots of the future.
Many Congratulations to Both you and Allan, a huge step here :-) Love the pictures !

It's a lovely Brug ...start thinking of a name.

Maurice the Clementine has a very strong zingy fragrance that truly makes it's unique presence felt.Different to every other Brug,
we are all anxious to capture that fragrance in Clementine's kids. Very interesting to see your results.

It's lovely and damp here this morning but wretched heat to come,
I hope the weather will be kind wherever you all are, all that thundery rain will promote the growth in the Brugs (and the weeds).

chrissy
mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

November 27, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9343949

I have found another Clementine, right at the front steps. They do not get used too often. it had flower ready for pollen. Jobs done. ALSO ONE OF MY WHITE DOUBLE CROSSED WITH RED HOT PINK HAS FLOWERED. The caps only due to poor sight. saw someone had their dwarf pink and green on show. One of mine is shown just for interest. Will be off line for a while.

Maurice

mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

November 27, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9343954

Here is the double white with the pink genes maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9344016

Maurice this Double white (assumable Knightii) x.Red Hot Pink would be great to cress with Pink Knight both having the pink genes and both having Knightii in them
Nice to see your work here also
Thank you
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

November 27, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9344029

Wayne... Good to see your new double bloom(Old Apricot X Fernando) getting a little more colour. Like Chrissy, I wonder what the colour will be in Autumn.
Welcome Maurice. With your experience I am sure you will add a lot to our little group.
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 27, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9344090

Allan I was just looking at my little seedlings from your Fernando crosses, they are really getting a go on now, can't wait to see the results after seeing that beautiful one of Wayne's. Thanks again for those seeds, very exciting times here in Australian gardens.
People like all of you out there ...(high five guys and gals ) make it possible.

chrissy
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

November 27, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9344123

I got a wonderful serprize, this morning when I got back from doing hair cut, thank you so much lovely. thank you again.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 28, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9344713

Still colouring up this morning, day 6 OA x F.
I am looking forward to the next flush.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter         

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9344749

today Thursday 29th of November is going to be 1 hell of a stinker @ 38 oC here in Melbourne we have not had this for almost 12 months.
I have moved all the seedlings in to the shade and hope that this will work i still have 200 in 3" pots and waiting for the trailer to go and get more soil from BioGro which has been really go for my plants and the soil has been rich enough for the plants also the plants are thriving.
all will need a great big drink tonight so the water bill will be large this time round but thats what you gotta do to keep your babies healthy

Wayne this babie of your's is looking better every day

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 28, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9344768

It's a real Beauty Wayne ! the big heat over the next few days may finish that lovely Brug off. 43 C and wind day after tomorrow. :(

Shaun yes scary temps coming ! good luck with those seedlings, it will be a bit of hard work keeping them out of the coming heat, the hot wind is a threat, even in shade.

So far we have had some nice rain, but the hot wind will dry that off pretty quickly ...there is always the threat of hail around this sort of choppy weather.

Good luck everyone ...stay out of the Sun !
Enjoy your day :-)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 28, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9344785

Good luck with your babies, Shaun...that's a lot of pots to check...
Just about everything has buds on it, I hope they are still there tomorrow...
Clementine has certainly taken to being in the ground...it is growing rapidly and the flowers seem to be lasting longer...it will be interesting to see how it handles today's heat...

Wayne, the long corolla tube is very attractive on your apricot double, it looks very dainty...I'm looking forward to it's next flush too...

I have so many wonderful crosses this year that are sprouting furiously, like everyone elses...I can't possibly decide which one I am looking forward to the most...I have an Angels Swingtime x Angels Exotic full of buds for the first time and a Dorthea x Sam...
I'm hoping for a pink single with really long petal tips from the latter...the angel cross probably won't produce anything startling but the genes will be there for future doubles...

I bet Jean is loaded up with buds too and bursting to tell us about them...
Alistair's aurea x is growing and growing...it looks top heavy now because the trunk from about 4 ft up is twice as wide as the lower trunk.
It's trying to compete with Ivoire...maybe flowers in autumn...

Keep cool
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

November 28, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9345090

Thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging comments over the past week concerning Allan's cross, my seedling of 'Old Apricot' x 'Fernando'! :) It has been fun getting up each morning to see what has happened next with this one.
Today (just home), the bloom has collapsed. So until next flush, this one can take a back seat and give others out there room to bask in the limelight!
Still no working name, I want to wait until the next flush as it gets a bit confusing otherwise. For the moment Double Apricot is OK I guess. If she proves good, then defiantly something a little more elegant! :)

Gosh it is hot!
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

November 28, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9345122

Hi to All our power has been out since 8.30 we just got it back now. just upgrade and Highway over pass.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 29, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9345172

Well what a day huh ? YUK !

Dianne isn't Clementine lovely ?

Shaun I hope your little Brug babies are ok, I am dreading the 40's to come. How did the coldies fare ?

Wayne your Double Apricot has been a pleasure to watch, poor thing , little wonder it has collapsed today, gosh it has held up well. What a delight.

Allan I think the Double Apricot is delightful in it's gelato mode, still lovely even if it does not darken, though I think it will.
You must be very pleased.

Gena yes ...we have lost power three times in the last two days, it's part of Summer here. Makes you realize how much we all depend on it for almost everything.

Enjoy your evening everyone !

If I am missing tomorrow I will be under the fan in the bedroom, over 40C is just a bit too hot for me.

chrissy.
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

November 29, 2012
2:30 AM

Post #9345181

Hope everyone is coping with the extreme temps in the south of the country. Brisbane only got to 30 c today but warmer days are ahead for us, possibly 36 c by next Tuesday. Mango Cornet is currently giving me a nice flush of blooms and the evening air is full of perfume. Photo of my bush taken today(early evening). Second photo shows the oranges and lemons effect with the old and newer blooms.

Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204   Thumbnail by boolarong204         

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9345194

Good evening all, the weather in Melbourne was a full on heat scorcher in Croydon it got to 40oC which I only saw it about 5 pm didn't go out side other then heading to work @ 8.30 am
All of my seedlings and plants got throw the day very well it did however burn 2 plants that have aurea in them mmmmm unusual but that's life

On the other hand I now have 4-5 seeds germinated of the cross aurea(form) x.'Culebra' happy happy happy I do have a few pics buy the seed elbow emerging so it wll take another few days to properly emerge.

Allan & Wayne that apricot double is to die for I hope like you and Chrissy that the bloom colours up more in the next flush

Allan is that a pair of legs in front of Mango Cornet?
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

November 29, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9345214

Shaun, the legs belong to a pixi. We have a number of these little creatures living in our garden.
Allan..

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 29, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9345533

Don't be shy Allan, we know the long pair of legs were your's...

Shaun, I had the same experience with Ivoire, it was burnt on the edges of the flowers...
But Clementine's flowers didn't get burn't and they are under the lightest canopy...odd

Chrissy, nothing stops the growth of these coldies...onward and upward must be their motto...Y's and buds everywhere but it's too hot to flower...maybe if we had a cold spell we might see one flower, but I doubt it...

Well done on your Culebra seedlings Shaun...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 29, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9345582

A quick good morning everyone ...

Allan I love the contrasting blooms in your picture ...beautiful. Loving the Pixies living in your garden too.

Congratulations on your seedlings Shaun ...you must be on pins and needles waiting to see what the true leaves look like.

Dianne ...wow, glad your coldies survived. Autumn isn't that far away ...look how quickly this year went.

Enjoy your day ...drink lots of water ! don't go outside after 10. :-)

chrissy

This message was edited Nov 30, 2012 10:23 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 29, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9345594

Hello everyone.
I am back from the outer corners of the obscurity...
It was very odd without the internet and phone.

We were lucky in not being close to any bushfires but the area around is very volatile .
Lots of long grass, Luckily we had a very nice lot of rain to damp it all down.

My brugs are growing madly.
Dianne you are right about the coldies...onward & upward indeed.
I have a few here over 7 foot high with lots of Ys but no buds.

I have had to spray for spider mites and look like having to do so all summer.
They are not so bad as last year yet .Hopefully I can control them .
I am getting rid of two brugs that have not even flowered yet.
Both Bergfeuer x aurea.
They have shown they are very prone to the mites and do not like the heat. Both are burnt on the top from the heat yesterday . Other brugs right next to them are unaffected.
It is better to to remove these and concentrate on the ones that do well.
Its a shame as I would have liked to see them flower, but after 3 years of having the tops killed by either mites or heat, I am getting rid of them.

I do have lots of buds coming, as Dianne said.
Mango Cornet has about 20 and BB is covered in nearly open flowers.
GHA has finally decide to flower after getting so tall I cannot reach his flowers.
Aurea (Lucas ) & Shauns aurea (form ) have flowers too.

Clementine is putting on more buds , so I am hoping for some perfect flowers from her.
Nothing else is getting Ys or buds as yet.

I love to see all your beautiful brug pics.
Allan, my Mango Cornet doesnt have those paler flowers at all. They all open that lovely bright orange.

Wayne, your beautiful new double baby is so pretty. I like the way it has turned apricot.
Congrats to you and Allan.

Better move and let hubby get to all his mail that has accumulated while we have been without our phone & internet for a whole week ...
Shows how we have to rely on these things for all our daily doings now.
Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 29, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9345652

Hubby just called me in to give me your seeds Dianne ...Thankyou- great cross ! soaking as we speak (hopefully they won't cook in this heat .) ...2 wonderful pinks with or without the Fasc.

The seedlings have been growing like mad out there ! quite surprising because I thought the heat was bad/is bad, wincing looking around at all the buds this morning, I know from previous experience many will drop off as the plants stress. If it is humid it will be ok ...but if the wind comes with the over 40's then it will be bye bye to lots of buds (at least where I live).
Time to start potting up the latest individual babies into their own new bigger homes, but not in the coming heatwave, waiting for the the next mild day because the hot wind will get them even in the shade.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 29, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9345655

Oops Jean Welcome back ...glad everything is growing well for you.
We have missed you.
can't wait to see your lovely plants bloom.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 29, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9345684

Just been out looking for pics.
Heres GHA starting to flower way up in the air.
He's decided I am not going to pollinate his flowers..
Aha,,, I have a ladder, so he'd better look out...lol

BB ... going to be a golden riot when they all open at once.

Iochroma grandiflora in full bloom.
If you have this one , or any others, I have found that they flower much better when cut back each year.
Besides if you dont cut them back by at least half, they will be so high they may break in any wind.

Hardy things, the Iochromas. Nothing seems to bother them. I use this one and the red for shade for the brugs along the path.

Last pic is one of the sanguineas with lots of Ys.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9345962

Hi!

Your pictures are great! I really enjoy looking at them!

Our weather here is absolutely beautiful! We've had a couple of chilly mornings then it warms up in the 70's! I will try to get out in the garden tomorrow!

Happy Holidays...Have a very Merry Christmas Everyone! My tree is up (still from last year...) and I've started my Christmas shopping!

Jeanne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 30, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9346371

Hi Jeanne Merry Christmas to you too :-) I am so glad you are feeling better, don't go overdoing things now.

Lovely pictures Jean.

Light drizzle right now :) A lovely Surprise, it is 10C less than predicted for this time of day so ...
Hope the weather people are wrong about the 40C's.
Have a lovely day everyone ...stay cool.
✿(ྀ✿
.ི██Ɔ x x
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9346381

We have had 2 days that were very hit and dry but last night the temp dropped and some rain came so the plants are all doing fine and so am I I don't mind the heat but I don't like the 5-6 days of extreme heat

I have many plants with buds all over it and can't wait to see some of the ones that I have not seen as yet.
Jean sorry that your composting the Bergfeuer x.aurea if this is a problem with it blooming I may put in in a place where it can do as it wants and I don't have to look after it mine is about 6foot tall and I'm looking for Y's every day now on seedlings and on the cuttings that every one had sent

Hope to hell Chrissy the weather don't get that hot either for you up there!
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9346762

I got a few really good pics of Knightii and thought i would share
this one has a true double skirts and they look like any other Quality Double in US or EU

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 1, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9346764

Very hot and very humid once the clouds lifted.
Buds still hanging on ...we will see how they go tomorrow.
Sitting up late ...too muggy to sleep yet.
The Brugs love warm muggy nights.
That is where we differ :-)
goodnight everyone.
What a day huh ?

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 1, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9346766

Yes that is when they look like Tutu :-)

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 1, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9347005

Hello all.
Heres a follow on from the BB pic above. The buds are all open.
My first really large flush on anything except GHA.
Beautiful, and the perfume wafting around is yummy.
The shadehouse just beside the brugs is full of epi flowers with more perfume to join BB. Smells so lovely on this nippy morning.

I only have one pod left to come off which is on Mango Cornet.
The pod from Senorita Rosada came off yesterday.
The seeds were a little pale but large and just came out like peas from a pod. No stickiness to clean off. They were all aligned and when I cut the pod open, they just came right out cleanly.

I have lots of seedlings coming up in the greenhouse and more still to sprout.
I will be potting up a lot of the bigger ones over the next few weeks .
They will move down to the shadehouse to start primary school next year...

All the others from the shadehouse have graduated and are out in the garden spread around where I find a good space for the pots. .

Not much else doing with them all at the moment. I am still waiting on lots to make Ys. Lazy things.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

December 1, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9347085

Chrissy Help This morning I found about 30 little monsters on 3 brug plants could not take good pic they are a grey- brown colour with a yellow band around the back of head and a yellow tail they have wings and 4 legs just fly around the plant when I sprayed with soapy water. there is none on a nother plant the other side of yard,
They are not on any other plants ,
any idea whate they might be --- or whate I could mix to spray to make them move away
elaine,

Thumbnail by sammut   Thumbnail by sammut   Thumbnail by sammut      

mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

December 1, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9347088

Hi all. Been waiting for the effects of the eye treatment to cut in before attempting another reply. The weather is very good, lovely gentle rain.

I am president of the local horticultural society, and a couple of women members called in I had them check the fragrance of the Clementines. And they said they were impressed. I hope that assessment answers Chrissy’s question.

We checked out the full group over both locations and there is more than 20. Assuming they are clones there is a huge variation in their size and vigour. There is a row and bit with 12 plants in it, and they would all have been struck and planted out at the same time. I am attaching a picture of the group and some individual ones.

mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

December 1, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9347128

It is still raining so here I go again. Between 2007-09 I bought 3 books on Brugmansias, one of which was written in English. It was Brugmansia & Datura’s by Ulrike & Hans-Georg Preisser.

Based on this information and with the plants on hand I attempted some pollination and one was successful. Aurea & Frosted Pink, both are in the attached pic. The aurea in the right-hand corner. There was just less than 70 seedlings, they soon over ran the whole place. I had just completed a green house so the ones with buds were brought in until they flowered. This one is the first to flower and gives a comprehensive view of the flower structure.

In the spring I planted them all out in the orchard, shown in previous clips, and they were all identical in terms of the flower structure and colour. About 8 of them were of exceptional vigour and they have been grown on. One is still blooming at the end of July, and the one at the back of the house was taken in the last week.

Could a pink and yellow pollination result in white flowers. The influence of aurea seems apparent.

I have crossed them with pink and yellow pollen and have about 30 seedlings, some about 1 metre high. No sign of ys.

Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   Thumbnail by mavrice   

mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

December 1, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9347139

Shaun the double white has thick petals and there is a lot of bulk in the flowers. I have had it, not this particular clone, for about 40 years. My grandmother had it on the family farm in Tasmania, at least 90 years ago, I am 74 and it had a very wide trunk at the base. Of course, it was referred to as a Datura in those times.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 1, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9347183

Maurice, you have certainly been very busy with your brugs over time.
I envy you having the room to grow them all out in the open.
If I did that, mine would be blown away somewhere else..

I do like that flower in your 3rd. pic.
That has aurea in it, no doubt about that.
Now that we have you trapped in brugnut pradise , you will be asked no doubt , for pieces or seeds to trade.
We all love to share what we grow.
I am going to beat Shaun and beg ...please, for a cutting of that brug in pic 3.

I am happy to send postage or maybe share a few cuttings.
I have my beautiful golden boy, Glasshouse Angel here.
He's aurea and the other brugnuts will tell you , he's such a great boy.
I am happy to share him with a new face.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 1, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9347203

Hi everyone ...still so muggy but better than yesterday ... I felt quite sick in the afternoon with that heat.

Elaine I think those critters may be friendly ones gobbling up munchers on your plants, not sure because I can't see them properly, perhaps someone else may know. Have a close look to see if they are actually eating your leaves or just roaming around looking for bugs to eat.

Maurice, you have been having some fun haven't you. I started around 2007 too.(no book though).
Not in a huge way, but what I did, was study as much as I could, looking through the International Brug thread here on Daves Garden which tracks right back to the first exciting times of hybridizing Brugs for doubles and colours. Like everyone else I just gobbled up any info I could absorb. I am only a home gardener who loves Brugs.

After learning about making seeds of our own, I purchased some good breeding stock from Alistair Hay, he also sent me some free seeds which I planted. I was shocked at how easily they grew (prior to this I thought it almost impossible after reading about great difficulties experienced by some International Gardeners) .
That success motivated me to try seeds from overseas. A thrilling experience as the second one to open was that beautiful Fire Fighter Angel (a double creamy gold to yellow and burnished apricot). Then other beauties (mostly pinks).

White seems to dominate (white Suaveolens Genes at least). I think in the very beginning the crosses featured a lot of white due to this. I was so surprised at my OS seedlings producing colours, having read about all the white seedlings everyone was making in the early times.
I realize now, that the white over a period of time, has been bred out by the good hybridizers, to a point where white is now almost rare, pink seems to be the new white :-).

Some Pinks will allow both the Yellow and the Apricot to come through, but the combination of pink and yellow still throws white if you don't follow the history of the pinks that allow it, such as Pink Smitty and New Orleans Lady and Pink Panther (Australian).

Knightii is Legend when it comes to doubles, but it requires heavy injection of colour to make coloured doubles from it.
This is why we are excited by Old Apricot, it seems to have a very heavy influence of Apricot colour in it's Genes, that can inject that colour into a double. I stress these are my thoughts only from what I have read and experienced myself. Prior to discovering this whole new World of Brugs I had the W. Suaveolens since the early 80's and the Old Apricot since the early 90's ...loved and adored ! so I was so shocked and thrilled to find out we could make beautiful Brugs of our own , well I am sure I don't need to explain my obsession to someone else who seems to have the same one as we all do here :-),
Thankyou for giving us a bit of your story ...how wonderful.

chrissy.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 1, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9347204

Sorry Jean I was so wrapped up in Maurice's story I forgot to say YAY Butter Bomb Rocks !!!!
Lovely picture.

chrissy
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

December 1, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9347332

Thanks Chrissy its just I have never seen the little fellers before I went out after lunch they had all moved on so will wait to see if they return.. elaine.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 2, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9347935

A busy day ahead so I just popped in before the rush, to say good morning.

Elaine glad the bugs have moved on ...lovely to see you still have Brugs growing in your garden :-)

I found Lipstick in bloom yesterday, but it was flayed in the hot wind darn it ! so many of the Brugs have their heads way up over the fences so they really cop it with the windy days, or from the full on Sun, I may have to trim them down I guess, it is frustrating when you try to take pictures or do a deliberate cross.

Have a good one today, here is a cute one from our friend moon from the tea room.
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas :-) soooo ...

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

December 2, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9347976

Jean

I have one in a pot with buds, will fit into a aus post box send address will post straight away

maurice

mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

December 2, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9347984

Jean pic attached

maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 2, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9348238

Maurice, I am on my knees thanking you. Much more than I expected.
Thank you so much
Dmail sent to you.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

December 2, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9348334

Maurice, that is so kind of you...As you can tell, Jean is rapt...
I like the pic of your garden, it looks very pretty...
The first of the Bruce's Pink flowers are out, it's very pretty in this cool weather.
This Iochroma is in flower, they are such vigorous growers as mentioned earlier...
I have 4 young plants about 15cm the seed is from OS, so I will be interested in their colours... they grow very easily, don't they...
I'm keeping a close eye on my Sanguinea pod, Alistair mentions that it can be a bit tricky to tell when they are ripe...Shaun, I may need your input with it...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

December 2, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9348335

Boy that Iochroma pic nearly knocked my eye out...for some reason it hasn't reduced enough...
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 2, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9348349

What pretty pictures ! that Iochroma is a knockout ! I hope you put it in the Gallery Dianne.

Hey Jean ...what a great Christmas present ! I agree with Dianne .
Maurice, what lovely thing to do. :-)

Well we had some respite from the big heat today but very muggy. The Brugs are romping away.
Don't forget to nip a tip off the bud if you are experiencing rain and heat. It may save the buds from dropping.
have great evening everyone.

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

December 3, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9348859

Looks like it is our turn for the heat. Brisbane is predicted to reach 39 c today!! The brugs will no doubt suffer in this heat but they are very resilient and will look good again when normal temps return.
I harvested a seedpod yesterday Mango Cornet X Clementine. First time I have done this cross. Only took 13 weeks from pollination to harvest. I am happy to share a few seeds if anyone is interested in this cross. Please D-mail me.

Allan..
mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

December 3, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9348883

Wild weather here but beautiful rain. Couple of pics attached. The one with less flowers is Brilliant Orange & red Hot Pink.

The one with most flowers is brilliant Orange Dwarf Pink & Green .

Pollinated the red hot pink with sangenea & the dpg with another dpg. In a very exposed spot, see how we go.

Maurice

mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

December 3, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9348887

erro Message. The dwarf Pink and Green was pollinated with the pollen from the white doubles dpg flowers. In stats 1 in 8 chance of double pink, and may have orange back ground in lieu of white.

Maurice
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 3, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9348901

Your brugs look great Maurice.
I dont think you will have any success with the sanguinea pollen as the cold group , as far as I know, dont cross with the warm group.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 3, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9348911

Good morning everyone,

Allan I feel for you ...awful temps ! been there this week, but at the moment it is lovely until the Sun heats up ...only approx 28C today.
If there are a couple of those seeds left I would like them. How could you resist a cross like that ? Congratulations !

Maurice wow ! ...looks like you are a very busy bee (no pun intended) it is great fun isn't it ?. Too hot for making babies here, right now. Last year was megga ! a cool wet Summer had them breeding like rabbits even without my hand. Good luck with all of your crosses, very exciting.

This morning ...lots of buds but few blooms, mind you, I have decided to chop a few of the very tall ones back, no use to me way up in the sky and they get blown to bits ...pic 1 (lipstick trashed because it was so tall-had buds torn off in the storm)

Pic 2) is Tintarella just starting to open before it does it's star thing (folding up it's petal tips into perfect square tucks). Looking so sweet in the early morning sun.

Pic 3) side by side with the cute Ivoire (I think they are flirting)

Pic4) Tintarella close up ...smelling sweetly

Pic 5) Ivoire close up, she likes to stick her nose up into the Sun.

Better get on with things ...enjoy your day :-)

Edited to say ...Allan I have open pollinated Fifi (very dark pinky red) seeds if you you would like some of those.

chrissy

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 9:01 AM

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9348912

Dianne's, the sanguinea pod is difficult to pin point when ready as ot dose not have the same mechanism's as the warm group. How ever if they get to about 15 weeks they can be checked by shaking the pod and if the seeds are ready they will make a rattle sound,

Maurice's the cross between Brilliant Orange x.sanguinea will not take as they are from different groups Warm x.Cold these do not cross as the pollen structure are very different, however the other crosses will do well. The sististics on the DP'n'G x.Double white might be probably worse then you may think as we do not have history on DP'n'G but great to think this and we all hope for these quicker then not
Plants are looking great

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 3, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9348920

Yes I don't think you can cross the warm with the cold group, but then I am no expert, I know a lot of growers have tried and still try. I can't remember reading of any successful outcomes. Good luck Maurice, you might be an exception to the rule.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 3, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9348998

Just popped back in to say remember to inspect the leaves of young seedlings, I found one on one of Allan's seedlings here with the stem almost chewed right through and upon inspection, one tiny teensy green grub hiding in the vein of the leaf. I need my reading glasses to be able to see these little b*ggers. It's difficult when you have so many, but you can lose seedlings (I am talking about the new babies) if you don't.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 3, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9349000

Hardly any grubs down here. The smart little B***'s all go north for the warm...lol

I get the darn spider mites and I wish you would all stop sending them here. I have enough.

Must get out and spray them again before it rains.

Enjoy your heat as its cold here at the moment.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

December 4, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9349287

I noticed a couple of white butterflies in the garden so I am expecting grubs soon...
Whitefly is my problem at the minute, so bad that I dare'nt take a breath when I'm in amongst the 2yr olds...

This cold wind today will get rid of them thank goodness.

Jean, I read on BGI about someone using a mixture of alcohol and water plus something else, I remember now,
it was a soap to make it stick...I'll see if I can find it...it was a recent post, maybe Dan...

Thanks for the info on the pods, Shaun..

I've been trying to trick my Sphaeros into thinking that it's Autumn, it's cool enough at the moment...

So sad to think that my flowers will be cooked on Saturday...Pink Panther is loaded as is Bruce's Pink, Buck's Fizz, Knightii...sob, sob...

Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 4, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9349730

Good morning everyone ...it's freezing !!!! cold and windy, when they said it would be warm.

Poor Ivoire is burnt off around the edges, Tintarella has no issues with the wind ...impressed. Smells just like Butter Bomb, just not quite as strong.

I was planning to pot some things on today but, I might do some cooking while it is cool, you can't do anything in that wind.
We had drizzle last night, luckily because try watering in this wind, you end up cold and shivering as it comes back at you no matter how careful you try to be, who wants a Summer cold (not me).

Poor old Axelrose has a great mop of blooms sitting up there in the wind, they will probably be ruined by the time the wind drops.
Guess that is just the way it goes sometimes.

Hopefully the weather may be kinder in your gardens.
Have a great day !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 4, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9349778

Shhhh it's less than 3 weeks away

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 4, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9350105

Shaun ...I have three little green arches nudging up through their sandy covering, they are your Aurea (form) x Culebra. :-)
Isn't that great ?
Really chuffed here. I will take pics when they raise their heads.

The wind is howling outside.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
11:22 PM

Post #9350166

Chrissy congrats on the seed raising of the cross will be waiting with baited breath
I have 3 up and the seed coats have dropped off the seedlings are some of the strongest seedlings I have ever has
Good one Chrissy now waiting on Jean & Al to have them germinate for them also

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 5, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9350840

Running late as usual, I had to help do some stuff for the Christmas rush, everyone wants their car stuff in time for Christmas holidays ...rush rush rush.
Puter has gone nuts after trying that Photobucket thingy, annoying when you pay for it., so over it, impossible for me, I don't understand it at all, too senior I guess, oh well.

Nothing much to say about the garden because I have not had time to look.
I hope everyone is enjoying their day ...it was cold this morning but warming up, thank goodness that rotten wind has dropped !
Baby Brugs screaming to be potted on, tiny green grubs trying to gobble them up ...ha ha ha. I must be nuts lol.
Talk later :-)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 5, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9350842

Oops I forgot to say, yes Shaun it will be very exciting to watch these Culebra ones, but then there are the Creamsickles etc, not to mention the Fernando crosses of Allan's, Wayne's crosses, Dianne's crosses, a couple of Jean's, cestrum's, yours and all the overseas ones, last of all mine ...now I am worn out with all those mind pictures Lol :-).

Need coffee and food ...bye bye :-)

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

December 5, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9351000

Chrissy, I hope that you don't mean the Photobucket that I gave you the link to...that's free...unless you upgrade...
yes, those crosses of Shaun's Culebra will be interesting to watch grow.
Tintarella sounds very promising...it's such a lyrical name too.

My seedlings came to an abrupt halt this week with that very cold weather...what a strange December..
When I look at Clementine in the garden and think of how she was in the pot, the difference is amazing, so strong and lush and yet others that I planted look exactly the same, growthwise...
Had to take a pic of Pink Panther this morning, it never fails to please me, the perfume was still there at 11 this morning...
Look at those amazing petal tips...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

December 5, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9351043

What the ...? This was supplied as Angels Flight X Superspot, but I'll be buggered if I can see a resemblance to either parent in this first bloom. Waited three years for this?
It had better tap dance while singing in French if it wants to stay in my garden!
Shaun, alas this is the monster brug, the one you wanted a cutting of. (Ugly sentence, sorry.)
I hope it's an ugly duckling that morphs into a swan, rather than another froggy aurea.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ         

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

December 5, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9351047

Here's a seedling that has undergone a metamorphosis, my Pink Velvet x D. lama.
It flowered as a single bloom for about a year, until this month, when it broke out into this luscious stuffed possibly triple-skirted bloom.
Those of you who have got some seeds from it should be pleased :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ         

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

December 5, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9351048

The Joli x Berg is going thru a two-toned phase before it settles into its rich dark pink.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

December 5, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9351049

As is the Salmon Perfek. x Dorthea, which opened a pure white ... with three skirts.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 5:44 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ      

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 5, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9351052

Oh wow cestrum, there you go yes the doubles can mess around for a couple of years.
That is beautiful and well worth the wait Congratulations.
Angel's Flight x Super Spot ...it may change too. Don't forget Super Spot is a single so the cross can throw the odd single.

The way I look at it is, one like your Pink Velvet x D. lama makes all the work worth while even if it is one in 50. :-)

Yes Dianne, I thought because it wouldn't work, that if I paid for it, it would work.
Silly me, I am not blaming PB ...it's me, too new fangled this new puter, for me to figure some things out yet.
What I got was some new tool bar that has slowed everything down and drives me nuts. I will try to remove it. Hopefully I won't do any damage to anything. Thanks very much for the help, my fault alone, puters are terrifying. ☠ ☠ ☠

Yes Pink Panther is a darling ...and so generous with her ...er ...favours ! :-)
´*.¸.•´♥

chrissy

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 6:52 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

December 5, 2012
11:49 PM

Post #9351053

cestrum that Joli x Bergfeuer ( I'm practising the spelling) is lovely at this stage...
Would you have a copy of the pic with the water mark a little higher up...

Luscious is a suitable description of the PD x DL, it really has blossomed.
Sorry about the AF x S...they can be disappointing can't they!!!

Jean, the seeds have arrived and half of them are soaking...thanks for that...
Dianne.

OT, Chrissy is that tool bar ..".ask or conduit''...they came onto my computer the other day when I download a torrent...took me ages to get rid of the %$##%^% things...

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 6:52 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

December 6, 2012
12:07 AM

Post #9351056

Seachanger wrote:cestrum that Joli x Bergfeuer ( I'm practising the spelling) is lovely at this stage...>

It's actually Bergkonigin ... I was avoiding having to spell it out!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2012
12:10 AM

Post #9351059

LOL ... :-)
Quite a tongue twister isn't it .

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2012
12:16 AM

Post #9351061

Hmmm I have quite a few Angels Flight X Superspot I hope they might present a double somewhere, or even just a lovely single would be fine.
3 years is a big investment in time and work cestrum here's hoping it will come good.
Some crosses that sound wonderful can be flops, as we have seen, this is the challenge isn't it.
At least with our own crosses we know what is happening.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
1:18 AM

Post #9351068

Cestrum Hi there haven't seen you in a while so hope all is well,
I'm sorry that the monster brug did not give you a beauty but this is our challenge to create a brug that every one likes hahaha not every one will like the same ones

Bergkonigin I love that name and have been pronouncing it often to get it right
How ever the other plants look very pretty and glade your got some new blooms coming throw

Chrissy this happens all the time when you get new program's there are always ticks in the draws but they always seem to get fixed up sooner or later, as I have problems with ACDSee picture program turning a number of my pics into unknown files that can't be changed to JPEG's ^}[#]{^%#

Jean I have also received the seed today very unexpected but very great full for those beauties

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

December 6, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9351182

Thanks for the repeat posting of your Joli x BERGKONIGIN, cestrum.
I never thought of Bergkonigin..lol

It is very pretty...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

December 6, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9351434

The Salmon Perfek. seedling is darkening nicely, although it hasn't yet reached its unique (to my brugs) shade of pink, not coral or rich dark pink, but something with a cool? blue? hue in it. What's lovely about this brug is that it retains its beauty as those tendrils curve back. Unlike Pink Smitty x Dorthea, which opens a pure white with the most beautiful curled tendrils which, unfortunately, as the flower ages and colours up, recurve right back and make the flower look downright ugly when viewed from the front.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

December 6, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9351449

The Joli x Bergk seedling has turned a rich pink this morning, although the skirts on this particular bloom aren't as pretty as most of the others have been--not as full and tightly curled as those have been. But look at the other bloom on the plant, a midget flower with that long inner green skirt, rather odd looking at this stage.

The AF x SS seedling has stayed white although the tendrils have curled up overnight. I sniffed it last night and I think there's a definite citrusy perfume to it. You'll have to sniff yours when it flowers, Shaun, and tell me if you agree. (Assuming you don't turf it out before then.)

Meanwhile, Musketeer is flowering away, with Big Floppy Apricot in the background. Can't wait to see what sort of seedlings the BFAs produce, whether they'll be whites or apricots like OA or something different to reflect their different parentage.

Lastly, the first seedling from Judy's oleander seeds about to bloom. It's going to be a pink, which will complement Judy's yellow cuttings. Funny thing is that I saw an oleander at the local nursery with big fat reddish buds labelled 'Dr Golfin' but, frustratingly, with only a generic oleander label. The nurseryman told me it was probably a single because, if it was a double it would probably have been specifically labelled as such. I'm tempted to go back in the next few days to see it when the flowers open although it might get sold before then. Too often I've seen plants that don't match their labels, just recently a Hibiscus syriacus aka Rose of Sharon which was labelled as a single flower when all the plants were actually blooming with semi-double flowers ... which were very pretty, but you get my point! I've also seen a Buddleja madagascariensis at this nursery labelled as a B. davidii, so they do occasionally have treasures masquerading as more common plants. So I might go back :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9351454

It is a lovely colour cestrum, the elusive blue pink !

Pretty miserable out there today ...must go to work again,
so just quickly ...dark pics sorry , heavy cloud ahead of a warm muggy day.

The wind and rain have pretty much bashed everything, here is poor Axelrose beat up pretty bad but very brave. It does not help that he is crashing into the clothes line in the wind. I love it. Pic1+2, I like it better than Maya.

Tintarella has not folded up her petal points,still yellow no tan yet I think the weather has stressed her out ! She is rather brave though and the fragrance is stronger today for some reason almost the same as Butter Bomb. Yummy ! pic 3.

Come on little Brugs open up for us please :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100      

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9351455

Snap cestrum same here, Judy was in my thoughts too.
We miss her.

lovely pics,unlike my rain drenched ones, too much water for the Oleanders this year so far.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9351458

cestrum I must run, could you please start a new thread ? Love all your pics but could you start the thread with number 3 pic there in the last lot please, so pretty :-)

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

December 6, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9351572

OK, the new thread starts here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290179/
mavrice
Korumburra
Australia

December 6, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9351667

Hi All

Another plant has flowered for the first time this week. It is one of those smaller one from the the AuraXClementine. The others have been slightly nodding to almost hanging. This is distincly nodding. Have pollinated back to the pod mate with the double skirt - 2012G.

Maurice

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

December 6, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9351787

Fascinating, Maurice, that you not only have bred a double-yellow but that so many of your aurea seedlings seem to be dwarfs.
So many of our seedlings seems to be giants! You're onto a good trait there, a small plant that takes up less space and whose flowers can be readily reached. I wonder where that dwarf trait came from? Anyway, it's a valuable characteristic.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

December 6, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9351791

Oops, we're supposed to be posting to the new thread over at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290179/
This is for the benefit of people on slower internet/dialup plans--this page has become too long for it to load reasonably quickly in those situations. So please move across to the thread at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290179 and post any comments/pics there.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America