It's time to read and vote for your favorite article in the 2013 Write-Off Contest! The four finalist's articles are featured in the May 13 newsletter and can be found through this link. Hurry! Voting ends May 18.
You've found the famous Dave's Garden website! Join this friendly global community that shares tips and ideas for home and gardens, along with seeds and plants!
Check out the DG homepage for a brief overview of what you'll find in this gardening mega-site.
*THIS IS ALSO POSTED ON THE IDIG FORUM...MY NAME IS LEGALLYHEIDI THERE AS WELL)
GUIDELINES FOR THE SWAP:
Have the ability to send seeds in by the deadline (January 4, 2013)
Check on the thread at least a once per week
Let me know in this thread that you would like to participate & I will message my address to you. THE PURGE IS OPEN TO US AND CANADA.
1. You can send in up to 50 seed packs. If you are sending in extra seeds as a bonus please mark them clearly as a bonus. If you send in 50 packages, you will get 50 packages back. If you send in 5 packages you will get 5 back. Bonuses will be divided between everyone, so you should end up with more than you send in. There is a maximum of 2 packages of each variety per person. Variety meaning “Dixie Butterpea”, not legumes in general You can send veggies, flowers, and herbs.
As a rule, seed packets should *try* and contain the following:
Tiny Seeds (basil, hyssop, poppies): 1/4 tsp
Small Flower Seeds (calendula, bachelor button): 1/2 tsp
Small Vegetable Seeds (tomato, pepper, eggplant): 10 seeds
Large Flower Seeds (4 O'Clock, Nasturtium, Thunbergia): 10 seeds
Large Vegetable Seeds (Squash, Beans, Corn): 20 seeds
2. Please send NAMED VARIETIES of seed. Please mark the seed package with the type of seed (annual or perennial flower, herb, vegetable, etc.) & the cultivar name. PLEASE DO NOT SEND KNOWN HYBRIDS. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well. Basically put as much info as you can on the packet. Or if possible, send seeds in the original packet. If there is anything that is unsure of, just ask! Do not include mixes or mystery seeds. It isn`t fair to send mystery seed to people who followed the instructions & sent in named varieties. Unknown varieties will be sent back to you.
When you grow out the seeds that you receive please try not to be upset if an occasional plant is not true. That being said, please don`t send in seed that you know is crossed & will not grow true.
Please do not include seeds that are older than 2010.
3. Please include a list of the seeds that you are sending in (or message me with the list). Also include a wish list or preferences and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees, of course. The returned seeds will be completely dependent on what is sent in. The easiest wishlists to fill include some specifics (Malachite Box Tomato), but also some general wishes (Green-when-ripe tomatoes). Don't be shy. It is easier, if your wishlist has 100 things on it. If you wish to message me your wishlist, please feel free, and if you’d like, post it (or some of it) on the thread. If you have something on your wishlist & get it from another source, change your mind, or find something that you wish to add to your list, just let me know. It is no trouble to change the lists until the day that I send them out…then you’re kinda stuck
Please include both your real name (for mailing) and your screen name – so I know who has sent in their seeds!
WHAT TO SEND:
Inside your bubble wrap envelope you should have:
1. Whatever seed you are contributing to the swap
2. 5 Stamps
3. An address label with your address on it.
4. A wish list or list of preferences or do not want list
5. Include your name & Screen name
If all seeds arrive by 01/04, I aim to have them back in the mail by 01/07 (a Monday).