Photo by Melody

Article: What's That Bug? Snowberry Clearwing, the Hummingbird Moth: Great article

Communities > Forums > Article: What's That Bug? Snowberry Clearwing, the Hummingbird Moth
bookmark
Forum: Article: What's That Bug? Snowberry Clearwing, the Hummingbird MothReplies: 4, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9341160

Hi, Melody,
What a nice read. I knew little about these moths- you enlightened me!
Aside from the Buddleia for nectar, do you think you have a lot of host plants near you?
Oh, excellent photography too!

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9341616

Yes very nice. I have had several of them in my garden for the past two years. They don't act afraid of us humans as I have gotten very close to them while they are feeding. Seems like they perfer white colered flowers to me. Thanks for a great artical.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9341818

Thanks!

They like Prunus species for host plants and we have lots of wild cherry and plum trees. Locust is also on their list and our woods are full as is honeysuckle...plenty of host material there. They love my white Buddleja best (I have two other colors that they visit too) and they like pentas, salvia and monarda. I'd have to say those are their favorite plants, but I've seen them nectaring at most anything in my garden.

pattyd17
Wheaton, IL

November 26, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9342916

I saw my first Snowberry Clearwing this year. I didn't know what it was so I posted my photo of it on Facebook and my cousin identified it for me. I was enchanted by it and looked for it again but it never came back. Maybe next year!

Thumbnail by pattyd17   Thumbnail by pattyd17         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9342925

pattyd17, you have the Hemaris thysbe clearwing moth. It has light colored legs as opposed to the Hemaris diffinis snowberry clearwing with dark legs...they are very closely related. I didn't have any images of your moth to show, so I really appreciate the ones you've posted...thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What's That Bug? Snowberry Clearwing, the Hummingbird Moth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Ah ha! jazzy1okc 1 Nov 26, 2012 9:29 AM
Great pictures. redunicorn 3 Sep 11, 2013 1:15 PM
caterpillar stage worms4compost 1 Nov 27, 2012 12:02 PM
Clearwing moths kmm44 1 Nov 29, 2012 6:33 AM
hummingbird moth pspiersy 1 Sep 11, 2013 12:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America