Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: lobularia or alyssum?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vngarden
Seattle, WA

November 24, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9341556

I have a feeling that the white one is Lobularia maritima and the others belong to Alyssum? Could anyone differentiate between Lobularia and alyssum with these images?

Pham

Thumbnail by vngarden   Thumbnail by vngarden   Thumbnail by vngarden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9341655

Lobularia maritima is the binomial (that is, scientific name) for the annual, "sweet alyssum". If you click on the following link, you'll see the various flower colours for Lobularia maritima:
http://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=lobularia maritima'&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=xJGxUN7xHczpiQKq9IGgDA&biw=1509&bih=995&sei=0ZGxUPG5BoGiiQLxqIGICA

Do your plants have some particular characteristics that differ from Lobularia maritima?

Note that flower colour is not necessarily a distinguishing characteristic, particularly for species that have been in cultivation a long time. (I assume your question largely arises from the different flower colours you have among what appears to the same species, from what can be seen in your photos?)

This message was edited Nov 24, 2012 9:39 PM
vngarden
Seattle, WA

November 24, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9341663

these images are taken about 3 years ago. i heard something like "sweet alyssum" but the true genus is probably Lobularia. I think you are right that the flower colors are not an essential distinguishing characteristic.

So we settle these images are Lobularia? I am leaning that way.

thanks,

Pham
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9341674

There are several cultivars of L. maritima that are some shade of pink, so I definitely wouldn't rule it out based on color. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=lobularia&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search (note--given variations in how colors appear depending on cameras/lighting I wouldn't necessarily try to figure out which exact variety you have--I don't think you can ever be certain. I just posted the link to show that there are plenty of pink ones)
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 24, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9341678

In addition to habit annual (Lobularia) or Perennial ((Alyssum), what can really help in identification is that plants of Lobularia maritima are usually shorter than 15 cm whereas they are almost always taller than 15 cm in Alyssum.
vngarden
Seattle, WA

November 24, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9341681

I recall these plants are pretty low, almost hugging the ground. I think Singhg45 is correct that L. maritima plants are shorter than Alyssum.

thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America