26. WWKATHY/KATHY-----CO
27. MINNESIPPI----MINN
28. MELLEN1954---IOWA
29. MOMCAT--DEB-- ILL
30. DIAMOND9192002 / -IND
31. JLEE160---MI
32. SBISH5-----MI
HOME . DEEJAY9---MAR 13 TH
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GREAT PRIZE TO BE announced LATER :)

20. DOMEHOMEDEE- DEE-CA-------------MAR 17 TH--B-DAY IS A SUNDAY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RISINGCREEK---KC--CA---------------JAN 21ST
MELLEN1954---IOWA----FEB 1ST
PAULA_P------TX-------------FEB 11th?
CHEERMOM----SUEG--AZ-------FEB 13 TH
MARTI001 -----KY------------FEB 14TH
POISONDARTFROG --ALANA--KY-----FEB 20TH
GARDENQUAIL---MICHELLE ---CA----------FEB 22TH
CRIS316---NJ-----FEB 25 TH
CZIMMERMAN00----CHRISTINE---KY---------FEB 28TH
FOTV/SUSAN---VA--------MAR 1ST
JLEE160--JEN--MI--------------MAR 2ND
FRAUSNOW-----MAR 4TH
PATTI1959-- OR------------MAR 8TH
PFG---PAM---NH---------MAR 11TH
MIDWESTFARMWIFE----MARY---OH ----MAR 12 TH
CHICORY31---KERRIE--NC ------MAR 13
BIGTROT--- DONNA ---MD------MAR 14TH
DOMEHOMEDEE------MAR 18TH
. MINNESIPPI---STEPHINE---MINN--------MAR 21ST
GARDENSEEDER63 / SUSAN----NH-----------MAR 22ND
ALIKAT32 /ALI--NH-----------------------MAR 23RD
LANAKILA---NC------MAR 25 TH
BLUESPIRAL-----MD-------APR 1ST
WWKATHY/KATHY-----CO-------APR 8TH

This message was edited Nov 25, 2012 9:41 AM

This message was edited Nov 28, 2012 3:14 PM

This message was edited Dec 3, 2012 7:52 AM

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 11:07 PM

This message was edited Dec 11, 2012 9:49 AM

This message was edited Dec 12, 2012 10:10 PM

This message was edited Dec 15, 2012 9:17 PM

This message was edited Dec 20, 2012 9:09 AM

This message was edited Dec 24, 2012 3:14 PM

This message was edited Dec 27, 2012 9:08 AM

This message was edited Dec 31, 2012 4:53 PM

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 9:01 AM

Thumbnail by deejay9
Click the image for an enlarged view.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9341843

GM ALL

well here's our knew thread chat away I have a closet to get cleaned out & will PEEK Back in later :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9341847

Wow, Big Bird will be here soon. I'm next in line.

When you get that organizing thing down, you can help me.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9341849

hey look who the early bird is :)))) hub out hunting ? betty came to visit so back later
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 25, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9341936

morning all.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9342182

Nope, hunting isn't allowed on Sundays here. Instead he loaded brass, which means he made bullets.

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9342681

Morning everyone!
It's a chilly one here today and it looks like we'll get snow here on Tuesday/Wednesday -- 2 or 3 inches...the kiddos at school will be so HAPPY! Fruity...is it a law about no hunting on Sunday or a practice at your house...NH allows hunting anytime...just curious...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9342826

It's VA law. Otherwise, he'd go hunting every day. I have special laundry detergent just to wash his 'woods' clothes in and it smells like dirt, no kidding.

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9342957

AliKat32, don't you have a hunting season? Here they limit us to hunting only during the season. Here in Pulaski County we only had a 9 day hunt with modern gun and you can only shot antered deer (bucks). In Green County were I went hunting (had no luck due to everybody having their dogs running loose), we had 15 days to hunt with modern gun, but we could take bucks or does. So season for me (I have modern gun) ended Nov 25th. No more deer hunting til next fall.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9343129

Here...you all can have my deer!!!!!! I have two heards that visit, one of the males and the other females and babies..9-14 each, there was even a doe with twins this season.

Spent the day doing this yesterday (pix 2,3& 4). Cool today, 30* and foggy, tho tomorrow back in the 50-60* for the rest of the week. Hope to get these in over the next few days, 168 pots of Iris germanica. I want to thank all the gals here on this thread that sent me these as trades over the last 2 years (tho most were from this year). Hugs!!!!! I shall thoroughly enjoy them come spring...tho not now...lol. Only joking! I still have to find a spot for the dwarfs yet, thanks susuie!!! (soo many new colors, hoping I get a great show in the spring but will be better the next spring 2014). And remember in the future those wanting iris in their trades next season just ask. LOL...is it June yet??????

Pix5: one of my newbies, Denver Delight

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9343163

Kathy: sure glad your young enough to keep that all weeded :))) The last couple years I've Had to cut back on my gardening .
been playing today make some of my Xmas gifts figured i better do that rather then on the computer getting in touble with the sales .
waiting for jim to call we are going to play cards when the kids get home .
so off to fix me some super so ya all have a great day . I have not gotten a CONF # from LAMARION- yet to let me know if the Robin is in flight or not so will sit tight :) Looks as the kids are here & I have to go back in the morning

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2012
3:17 AM

Post #9343568

Kathy -- wow! that's a lot of newbies! Jealous that it's 50/60's in your area! I can't wait for spring either...

Marti -we do have hunting seasons here...just during hunting seasons we can shoot any day of the week...so I was just wondering about the Sunday thing Fruity was chatting about...we have Deer bow and arrow season and then shooting season...and I am sure shooting is broken up into different types but I don't know them. We also have moose hunting but only by lottery permit now to limit the amount taken. And I think there might be small game hunting (turkey, rabbit etc) but I don't know when that is.

Have only seen a few deer lately...guess they ate everything in my gardens and have moved on!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9343612

Same here Ali Hunters Can Hunt 7 days a week there is a Bow season then gun season then a muzzleloader gun season .
My Brother hunted here last week & got an 8 point Buck & then a few days later he brought his son & friend over to hun & they found a scull of a 9 point that had died back on our place . Not sure if he had been shot & Died from last fall or if died of the the desease that was killing off deer this last summer from the fly bite fever.

anyway No word yet on the robin But I'm sure it will proble land at Fruitys today or tomorrow :) sun is coming out very bright & i have to go hook up a printer for my friend Pat so guess i better get off here & get going you all have a great day .

Thumbnail by deejay9

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9343977

Evening everyone,

It was a gray rainy day, the kind that makes you want to snuggle under a quilt, enjoy the fire and watch an old movie. Did I do that? Nope, instead I finished putting away Fall decorations, pulled out a few Christmas bins and in between cooked and did our laundry. All in all, a pretty good day here. Hoping yours was as well.

No birdie today, Susie.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9343988

I'M Sure it will land soon :) we sure can MULTITASK On Those cloomy days can't we . I went over to pats hooked up her new Printer then she & I went to lunch went into town got a few Items & came home put laundry in got my floors swept mopped & VAC"D , Last load in Dryer now oh fixed sup Now its time to get caught up on the news :)

so you all have a great evening back tomorrow :)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9344227

Oh balderdash, put me down for March 18th then.
Just checking in to see where the robin is. Not that I really need any more seeds yet. I have already started a few perennials I received this year and I have some seedlings in my greenhouse of echium (tower of jewels), Stokes aster, Hardenbergia and a few others. Fall is finally here and we are expecting rain tomarrow. Looks like the robin has been making good time, that's great, Spring comes early in California.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9344284

This year's Robin is rocking right along at a record pace. I haven't heard the word balderdash used in a long time. In my neck of the woods, it's slang for moonshine, aka White Lightening liquor.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9344398

FOTV - Looks like you're next in line, that's exciting.
You know I think writing accesses a different part of my brain than speaking does. I come up with all kind of strange old words. I don't know where balderdash came from . . . I do come from a long line of moonshiners!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9344477

Excuse me, but I have a question. My neighbors Maximillion Sunflower plants are now dying and I've been picking the dead flowers and hope to get seeds. Has anyone grown this from seed and what do the seeds look like? They must be tiny.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9344497

No IDEA Here Marti sorry but i think this might help it is for all SUNFLOWERS

Here’s how to harvest sunflower seeds:

1. Wait for the heads to drop, all the sunflower petals have fallen off, and the backside of the sunflower has turned yellow or even brown.

2. Cut about a foot of stalk off the top.

3. Scrape the seeds out with a spoon or butter knife, as shown in the video above, OR if you’re more patient,

Put a net or brown paper bag over the flower head and wait for the seeds to drop on their own.

4. Air dry for future use.

yes the robin has been Flying pretty fast ,Hope it Lands today at Fruity's .
another busy day today so guess i better get around here .
will check back after lunch.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9344525

Good Morning!

Here ya go, Marti.

http://www.prairiemoon.com/seeds/wildflowers-forbs/helianthus-maximilianii-maximilians-sunflower

Maybe today's Landing Day. Will check in later to let you all know either way.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9344542

Marti,

Maximillians are invasive in our area, and probably would be for you too. :(
If you decide to grow them, get some roots from your neighbor. Growing them from seed is impractical, especially since they spread so much that taking a clump from an established plant is all you'd need.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 28, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9344545

Just wanted to share - for those of you who were "with me" during my cat's pregnancy last year - she is a gramma as of yesterday. Her only female kitten just had a litter of 5 last night. 'Norma' as we called her (because she had normal toes) weighs in about 6lbs, whereas her brothers 'two-two' and 'two-fi' (with all the extra toes) are about 18lbs - starting to think they absorbed twins being they are twice the size. True "tom" cats I guess. A friend of mine from high school took 'Norma' and let me know last night Tweek was a gramma. :)

Thumbnail by minnesippi

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9344556

Thanks for the infor on the maximillion sunflowers. I'm going to stop and see if I can dig some plants up. He contols them by mowing down any that grow outside the area he wants them in. I plant on putting them in a large container to control them.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9344660

Knee deep in seeds!
Will come up for air later.
She is very fat :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9344662

What Time do you get your mail FRUITY ?????
Cute Kitty's
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9344725

Here's my guess as to when Deejay will receive the round robin back...March 4th.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9344852

Marti...just to let you know...it's easy to collect seed from maximillion. Just wait for the heads to dry, break off the flowers with a bit of stem, turn upside down and shake into your hand. I just collected some from mine...Just to let ya know, mine have never reseeded and stay in a clump. I will include when the box gets to me. Sorry, I don't have any pix. Mine gets 5-6ft and bloom up and down the stem, flowers approx. 3-4", and the deer like nibbling on them...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9344897

If we have our fav mail lady, she's here anytime between 10 and Noon-ish, depending on how light or heavy her load is. She was here this morning around 11 to delivery the Robin, fresh eggs and pork sausage from her farm.

What an amazing amount and variety of seeds. This is by far the most fabulous Robin I've ever participated in and think I only missed last Winter's! All you waiting in line will be thrilled. There are even bags from folks who donated and are not in the flight path. Half of tomorrow is shot in town but only have three remaining baggies to go through and add mine and individual envies.

I'm prepared to use a larger box if need be and am shooting to have Big Bird in the air Friday to you, Lanakila. If not our PO is open for two hours Saturday mornings. Will keep you all informed.

This is such a fine group of sharing friends. Thank all of you so much for the personal envies and for including a bounty of seeds!
I'll pick up more little baggies at Walmart tomorrow and add them for others to use. Before I forget, Susie, where did you find that neat set of measuring spoons?

Gardenseeder63 / Susan, for the pack of Agastache seeds you included with a description of Mint Green, do you recall the color of the blooms?

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9344928

Well the flowers are drying on the plant now and I've collected a few but can tell if they have seeds or not.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9345064

susan was it a metal set or plastic ? Metal set came from our one & only RickCorey_WA along with the screens as a gift to me from one of the robins he was in :) I Love the saying on them :))

well i found out tonight that Jim's Oldest son Is Now been promoted & is working at or in the Pentagon .
to me that is the worse job to have , I'm proud of him but it is also a dangerous job considering how big of a target that place has been.
well its been quite a night & I'm tired so . good night all back for coffee .
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9345619

They're the cute metal ones from Corey that say Smidgen, Pinch, and Dash. Very nice of him to gift the set to you and for you to let us use them.

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9345621

minni -- cute kitties...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9345679

Not sure where he got them but I really like them & Thought they would help everyone to measure out what they want :)))
are you finding lots to try out this next season :))) ????

Long day with friends &I need to go lay back before i fall out here :)
good nite all

After the Robin gets up in ILL & Almost Home I will then Put up a 2nd time around for anyone wanting to go through it again .

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 29, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9345753

i have a set of those..i forget where I got them. Tuesday Morning maybe? Ikea? Linens n Things maybe.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_sl_5fa43ygy62_b?rh=i:aps,k:measuring spoons pinch&keywords=measuring spoons pinch&ie=UTF8&psrk=dash pinch smidgen measuring spoons
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9345835

I sure did, Susie. Anybody behind me will too and plan to mail envies out next week to those of you who were ahead of me. Just finished going through the last few large baggies in the Robin this afternoon. Before I seal the box, is it OK to include 2011 seeds, either commercial or those gathered from our gardens?

Thanks for the link, Steph. I'd planned to Google a set over the week-end. Among a lot of other things, I enjoy collecting unusual spoons. The Dash, Drop, Smidgen, Pinch, Tad Measuring Spoon Set caught my eye. Amazon just dinged me this week for another year of Prime shipping, might as well start taking advantage of it.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9345862

Hi, all.
Wow, the robin is already to Fruity! Going to have to get my seeds ready soon :)
Aw, how sweet... Bet those kittens are cute!
Anyone know how to tell when a rosehip is ready for harvesting and what the seeds would look like?
Rainy today, and supposed to get much rainier tonight. Suppose to rain off and on through the weekend. The plants like it and we need the water, but still :( was hoping to do some more gardening, but couldn't get to it before the rain came.
Oh, well... good reading weather :) And a good day for some hot soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch :)
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9345869

Yes, Fruity, somewhere in the guidelines for the swap, Susie said that 2011 seeds could be included, commercial or home-grown).
Michelle

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9346128

Yes 2011 is fine I Was more concerned about ones from 2010 & older .
I Know many are just fine being stored for years , but I would rather not have them in the robin but private trades for them are fine back a year or two we found moldy seeds in the robin & I would like for you all as your going through the seeds if you find a pack please throw them out if you will please .

cold gloomy day going to go bake back later

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9346323

Amazon Prime is half-price if you can wrangle a .edu email address. I happen to work at a school, but if you graduated from a college or university you can generally get an 'alumni' email account created. It doesn't have to be your regular Amazon email, you just need it to get set up.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9346387

Thanks for the info, Lanakila. The Robin is in the air on its way to you. Should land there Monday.

There were no moldy seeds in there, Susie. I had a few Canna seeds that molded in the refrigerator and threw them away, but did include others and those requested were fine.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9346613

TY susan Just got home from Bingo JP IS Up to $4000.+ Still didn't go so it will be up tomorrow night :)
got to get my sleep GN all

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9348312

Just collected seed fom Salvia azurea Nekan today (pix 1), 36-48"^x36">, blue, late summer, D.T., D.R.
Also Rudbekia, annnual which reseeds, 30-36"^x24-30">, mix of large flowered some with darker contrasting centers, sorry I forgot to mark which plants were which when in bloom so I made a mix...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9348332

Last post for the night. Kathy, I think I'm in line for some of your Rud's, and a mix with the Salvia would be even better. Enlighten me what D.T., D. R. stand for? I'm assuming with hardly any snow last year or rain this year in your area, they might mean drought-tolerant and drought-resistant. Correct me if I'm wrong, you know I usually am...lol

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9348354

Hi...D.T.=Drought Tolerant, D.R.= Deer Resistant. You know after I posted that, I correctly guessed someone might ask...lol. I had meant to collect them when they were still blooming...but so busy planting yet. It was to breezy today to plant, really don't like eating dust..thankyou but no thankyou...lol. Still have a few things to look for but gotta keep working on planting. It's amazing just how many pots I collected...egads!
Just packaged to add to the box...
Pix 1:Datura metaloides, 36-48"x36-48", white, evening bloom and fragrance, can reseed, D.R.
Pix 2: Eupatorium joicus, Varigated white Joe-Pye-Weed, 48-60"x48" (1rst year..so far)

Fruity..made up 2 packets for you, rud mix and the salvia...are you looking for other Salvias too? I have several more I could look at.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy         

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
11:47 PM

Post #9348355

Sorry pix 2 is wrong...it's Crambe cordifolia and not Eupatorium joicus. Guess I don't have one of the Joe-Pye-Weed.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9348444

GM All
Kathy is the Crambe cordifolia what you shared with me this past spring right ?? & What is all the green clumps around the plant ?
Well it is very foggy out side this morning . so guess I will wait till it lifts before i go for my blood draw Snow or rain is fine to drive in but not fog :)
well looks as The ROBIN Will Be Landing today @ ALANALILA Please Let us know what you think of it :))))

well off to read more forums back later today .

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9348501

Getting closer!! I can hardly wait.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9348539

Any Salvias, Kathy, and thanks for the explanation.

Yep, big day for you Lanakila. Enjoy!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9348701

Ok Fruity...will look to see if I find some of the other Salvias that I have...

Susie, the other plants below and to the side of the Crambe c. are Centaurea machrocephala, shown below with an unopened veronica spicata. The above pix was taken early in the spring before the Centaureas were full size for the season.
Pix 2 another angle of the Crambe c. (from the side where the Centaureas are located), pix is very early spring.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9348718

Susie..Had to enlarge the pix but here are a list of the plants close to the Crambe c.(won't list the plants in the top half as they are so far away to discern whats whats..lol) From the Crambe to the right clockwise...Yarrow (dark pink), Iris g. (purple/black), Centaurea montana, Stachy's b. (grey leaved), a clump of lavender, (some unks.), bottom of pix is Penstemon strictus Rocky Mountain Blue, far right is Centaurea machrocephall. That Crambe is 5-6foot tall X 5foot wide, and about 4 years old. This side of the border is 20 feet wide, (left to right where the grey carpet path is located). So Susie...you can see how big the Crambe will get. The Centaurea mach. on the bottom right of the pix were 36x36 (bloom time they get up to 48") at the time of the pix. Like I said this is early spring and most plants were'nt in bloom yet.

Anyone wanting Stachy's b. come next spring I'll have plenty to share, (it's beginning to grow too far out into the path, time to edit a bit...lol)

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9348776

Here birdy-birdy-birdy-birdy! I SO want to leave work early just so I can go home and play with the Birdy!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9348805

Kathy Come SPRING Just Bring 3 of each & Come DESIGN My Garden, I'm sure i will have plenty to send home with you :))) Be happy to Help with the cost of GAS :)))) your gardens are looking so good.
Mine has No RHYME or REASON to them

well the 2013 seed catalogs are flying about door to door For I have received 3 Books already.
well I Have to get my Goods put away so ya all have a great day.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9348969

LOL Susie...I'm not sure what a vacation IS!!!!! I'll Be glad to give you pointers this winter...If your interested you could make it a thread over in Beginner Landscaping, Garden Design or Perennials. Just get out and get some pix and dimensions of each area(s) you might like to work on (before the snow flies, as they say you can see the bones this time of year... You could then send me a list of your plant material (perenns, bulbs, grasses, annuals)in a d-mail . We could spend the winter playing with ideas (and anyone else that might be interested)... I have spent the last 4 or 5 years putting this all together and I still have much to do in the way of editing...lol...I just grew plants (most from seed), and filled in areas, now I need to really look at what I've done and put things together in a more cohesive plan. The main thing I did stick to over the years was taller in the back (tho not always) and groups of same plants for a mass color affect (groups of 3,5,7etc.). Could be fun bouncing ideas off each other...I have a whole backyard to get planted with perenns next season, and I'm constantly getting ideas from so many here at Dave's. Personally I'd love to see more pix from others gardens: Yours, Pfg, Fruity, and soooo many others I've received some GREAT plants trades from over the season this year, many, many from here on this thread! Besides...we all need something to chat about this winter !!

I know Fruity started a thread on her garden this summer but I didn't keep up with it, (sorry Fruity, I will try to get caught up). But now we have several months of cold and not needing to get out to the garden to get things in. Speaking of which I'm still tying to get a few hundred plants in the ground this week, (just linning them out). I sooo want to be done as the weather is getting chillier, I know I just keep saying a few more days, fingers are crossed. It's too burrrry out there now, and breezy. Just a few more days!!!! LOL. And I can almost see the driveway now!!!! Next spring I have to find places for all those plants that are being lined out, becase they won't stay where I'm putting them now. They are linned out in between shrubs at the back of the border. So I have plans to make myself too. And any and all ideas are just that...IDEAS, to use or not.. Sound like fun????

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9349018

these are not i Blooming yet in your gardens right ??? these pics are from this spring RIGHT ????
what is the red in the 3rd Pic ? also in the 2nd Pic is that salvia ? & What is the White Bulb behind ?
I will see if i can find time to take a few Pictures & Have you halp me on it :))

well off to make some fudge :) SHOOOO SECRET SANTA AT Work :)))))
good nite all

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9349148

This birdy is SO FAT that it's no wonder we have to pay the Postal Service to get her in the air! It's going to take me a couple of days to work through all the wonderful selections that everyone has contributed!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9349198

Susie...1st pix: bottom and to the left is an unknown, not sure if I got it in a trade here or from my garden club(am thinking the later...if anyone recognizes it please I would love a name, it is a reseeder to boot and I have plenty to share), just below the poppy is a verbascum (not sure if it's Copper Rose or Southern Charm), the white to the right is Daisy Becky, in the back is Hesperis matronalis just finishing up (purple at the very top of the stems), again many are not opened yet Veronica spicata Sight Seeing Blue which is a tall one.
Pix 2 yes that's Salvia n. on the bottomand far right in front is Dracocephalum imberbe (perennial) but is only a spring bloomer; one flower of Knautia masedonica (deep red pincushion looking flower), to the left if a group of unopened Catanche carulea blue (Cupids Dart), foreground is Dianthus grationopolitanus (Cheddar Pinks or Bath's Pink, spring bloomer).
pix 3 the flower your asking of is Antirhinum majus (snapdragon) the tall "Red Rocket" series at 36". (Black Prince comes to mind) and in front I believe is Lavendula angustifolia "Munstead".
Pix 4 is Gypsophila repens (Creeping Babies Breath), and Caliroe involucrata (Wine Cups)
Pix5 is the other side of pix 1 a few weeks later and possibly taken a year apart. You can see the same poppy on the right, along with some Aquilegia McKenna's Hybrids, Centaurea montana "Amathyst in White", and the white spike is Verbascum phoenicium.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9349202

WWKathy, I like very much your idea of brainstorming design ideas over the winter. Over the last 6 years I've been involved in this garden, I also started whatever I could wherever I could, and have been trying to get a handle on overall design as things have begun to multiply, and as I find through trial and error what works here and what doesn't. It's really hard to plan until you see how each thing grows in your own microclimate. I've made some ludicrous boo-boos... That white knautia I was so excited about, I put in the middle of the border and it grew over 6' tall! Ridiculous! I sent you one, Susie, and one I finally found a spot for, couldn't just throw it away!

By the way, for your remaining pots, you could do what the nurseries do to overwinter what hasn't sold... They dig trenches deep enough just to stick all the pots in close together, then mulch over the top with chips or hay or leaves or whatever. It might save you some time...

The robin is really speeding on its way. I'm looking forward to round 2, to see what other goodies have been added. Like I need more... But I do get inspired...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9349220

Here's an idea of what I'm working with. There are 4 levels to the property, in the main view from the house, you see them all.

Pic 1 is a section of the long border in the Middle Lawn
Pic 2 is the Middle Lawn in June
Pic 3 Is later in the season, you can see 3 of the levels. Between the Middle and Lower lawns, is the Falling Down Wall.
Pic 4 is from another angle
Pic 5 is the Falling Down Wall from below. The deer ate the big hosts clumps near the bottom during a drought. They usually don't bother us.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 12:07 AM

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9349227

Oh PAM!!!!!!!...I want that plant your calling Knautia...should I tell you that isn't what it is at all... or keep my mouth shut!!! LOL...I'm thinking it's a Cephalaria alpina or gigantea, tall scabiosa, light yellow to almost white, 4-6ft. I lost mine from 10-15 years ago and have been looking for it since...(one is taller than the other and one is more yellow than the other, my origional seed for both varieties was gotten from England and they don't offer it any more) Now I have Scabiosa ochulara which is maybe what you were looking for, it gets to 24" and an all seasom bloomer, pale lemon yellow. We just may have to do that trade in the spring!!! LOL!!!! I have plenty of extras...Lol...I'm being naughty...Scabiosa (yellow, white,pink,lt. purple and what they call a blue which is still a lavender), Knautia ( white, pink and the deep red) and Cephalaria ( light, light lemon yellow and a darker yellow) are all closely related I believe, they all have the pincushion affect). OOOOh I'm just thrilled...lol. Oh how bad am I...lol.

Pix 1 Scabiosa ochulara, 18-24"
Pix 2 Scabiosa columbaria 30-36"
Pix 3 Scabiosa columbaria 30-36"
Pix 4 Knautia macedonica, 24-36" (maroon) and Armeria maritima Bee's Hybrids (the tall one which is 18" and blooms the whole season.
Pix 5 is a patch of 2 and 3, which are making a nice patch (reseeding)
My daughter has a short one that is blue (lavender) and gets 12-18'

Yup Pam..I might have to do that trench thing, I was hoping to get them into the ground so they could get the moisture and allow them to increase the root mass from being in the soil tho. Will keep at it till I just can't plant any more, which is soon because the soil is getting to burry for my fingers...lol. Pretty soon I'll be sayong come on El Ninio

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9349234

Of course you have to tell me! I'm delighted to find out what it is! How funny! And of course you can have some!!! I bought it as K Mars Midget from a small local wholesale grower. Then it bloomed at the size I expected, but white, or could be very pale yellow as you say. I moved it to where I wanted white, and it became gigantic- what a surprise, I couldn't believe it!

I have some white Scabiosa seed from the robin, I'll see how that goes.

But I might just have to get some of that Armeria from you...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9349237

Tee hee...

Thumbnail by Pfg

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #9349262

Oh, Lanakila, have fun sorting through all the goodies the robin brought! :)
Michelle

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9349265

Pam - thanks for sharing the garden pics. I really like your garden.
I'm jealous of the lawn, that's one thing I don't have. Just too many gophers to fight off.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9349386

Pam - I love it and you gave me many ideas for my front yard - other options instead of a retaining wall. Thank you. I will have to remember these pics are here over the winter while I plan. :):):):)
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9349399

Thanks! OK, who's going to start the new design thread for brainstorming?!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9349417

GM All I Have a busy day but will try to start a Thread or if one of you have time today to start it PLEASE Post LINK Here .
Love the pic's Kathy I Have all Flat Ground Full Sun. .

Don't Forget I will be planing to Have our SPRING PLANT SWAP SO you may just find some great trades . also .
ok off to get started .
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9349875

Love your garden shots, Pam. Very nice.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9349910

evening everyone well i popped in to ask where would you all like for me to open the GARDEN DESIGN Thread ???
can't do it tonight for Jim's Kids will be here soon their Late as always But Promise tomorrow for it is free alday :) SO FAR Anyway :)
Lights coming up the drive so guess they are here :) so will be back in the morning .
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9349927

For those of you who are sending me veggie seeds I thought I would post a picture of were the veggie garden will be. I found a source for the tires I need to make tire towers to plant in so will start hauling in tires tomorrow.
The veggie garden are is about 40X60.

Thumbnail by marti001   Thumbnail by marti001         

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9349950

I tried tire towers this year, they were great. kept the gophers at bay. only thing is it gets so hot here had to paint them white.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9350053

i planted rhubarb in a tire last summer - it TOOK OFF!!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9350109

Lol Pam..I was writing that post as you had posted yours... I just love your gardens...wow. And you have a much steeper slope than I do...and I love the effect of the boulders. Were they there when you started? I'd love to have some but they are big $$$ anymore. I wanna find out what some of your plants are...Lol, I should make you list the plants in each...but that would be naughty.. Is that big shrub at the far end a Rhodie? and is a a fragrant one? (any pix of it in bloom?)

Pix 1, what is the apricot colored plant (Geum? Potentilla?), I don't usually go for oranges but that is a nice shade.
Pix 2, what is the white at the bottom, on the left is that a white peony?

Ok Pam, you will have to repost these when we get a new thread so we can have you disect them for us... I just love how you have mature trees but wanna find out more about what are in the beds...

I do have seed pods of the Armeria m. But I hate to say it's one of those single stem plants. Although I have read that a sprig can be pulled and rooted but have never tried it. Can't remember if I grew these from seed or got them from one of my local fav. nurseries. If the nursery has them I will get some come spring time...they will be small as they will only be from this years winter sow and they sell'em only in 12 packs, but the price is right ($2.25 for 12 plants)...And for the heck of it I will get some fresh seed at my daughter's house next week. In my garden I only have the short version that looks like a big like a tuft of grass and tops out at 4-6". I do like the tall ones as they are great as accents in flower bouquets, again an all season bloomer.

As far as the Scabiosa that I have...I got babies so remind me come spring at trade time...I made sure to put down plenty of seed so I can increase my patch and have plenty to share also! I will eventually divi up the white and the purple into seperate plantings. Pix 5 has about 10 ish plants, most still young and not full sized yet, am thinking that they will spread to about 18-24" wide at maturity. But I do love how they bloom the WHOLE season. And for those looking for all seasom bloom, scabiosas are great, just deadhead. I will get some seed from my daughter's plants also as they are shorter at 12-18". Another great cut flower for the vase too.

Now I'm getting psyched for the BOX to get to me..lol. I just got space to put up my seed growing set up, so I'll be ready when it gets to me.

Hey Marti...will you grow veggies for me??? LOL. For the past several years I've gotten tomatoe plants and then don't get them in.. Guess I need to redo my veggies patch, and stick with it...I'm getting one of those Ninjas for Cristmas so I can do juicing, (gift to self).

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 9:10 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9350122

am thinking this is a pix of the shorter Aremeria maritima

Nope sorry, it's the patch from above earlier in the season..

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 9:25 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9350219

risingcreek, that's what I thought I'd do. Paint them white. Help keep them cool and they would look better.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9350299

My BIL arrived home this morning from 342 days in Iraq! YEA!!! My sisters family is complete once again!

Thumbnail by minnesippi   Thumbnail by minnesippi         

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9350627

OK Guess you all didn't see my QUESTION .
Where should we Post our GARDEN DESIGN Thread .? Bingo with the girls so back in the morning .
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9350707

That's a good question. Does DG have a site for us to post it at?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9350709

PS what about under General Discussion and Chat?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9350733

THere is a design forum... And a perennials forum, how about one of those?
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9350771

Id go design forum. makes sense.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9350863

I vote with Pfg and minnesippi.

Think my planting is done for the season, 'spose to be getting precip and cooler temps starting tomorrow and thru the next week. Am thinking after that the soil will be too cool...So I guess it's YEAH...I'm done for the season, only had about a hundred plants that didnt get in, Darn , but they are in pots so should make it thru the winter just fine as they are really hardy plants.. Now to indoor projects, golly you think maybe I should finish the kitchen...lol. Now to dig out my plant stand and find all the lights a few new screws, a new painters cloth...yup...might be a good project while it snows outside.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012

Post #9351169

GM All well i have opened a NEW FORUM

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290104/

this is Beginner Landscaping Discussion Forum DON"T FORGET TO ADD IT TO YOUR WATCH LIST

hope you will come share your ideas with us . well I have a few things that have to get done so you all have a great day will be back later.
susie
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9351381

Thanks Susie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9351874

LANALILA : Can you Dmail me The Conf # when you get the robin back in the air . Please
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9351925

Hi, all.
Susie, FYI, it's actually Lanakila (not Lanalila). Bet she's having a lot of fun with all those seeds! :)
Michelle

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9352156

anyone have any of these ?
Giant Zanzibar Castor Bean -Ricinus- Green Leaf
Sanguineus Castor Bean
Pink Carmencita Castor Bean -Ricinus carmencita
Hello Yellow Butterfly Flower -- Asclepias or any of these

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9353446

Susie, I have R. communis zanzibariensis with red stalk, white leaf veins. It was about 12 feet tall this year. Want to try it?
I just checked in to see how the Robin is moving and it looks like given the 3 day rule it should be on it's way to Chicory. Wow! I may have it very soon-better get some more seeds packed up!
Alana
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9353459

Can I ask a question?
I grew up around wild growing caster bean plants. Everyone cut them down, trying to kill them as they were toxic to touch and would kill if a child ate the beans. So my question is "Why grow them in your garden? What purpose do they serve?" I quess that's really 2 questions.

Out in Calif they grow wild in the hills, along ditches. Most green, but occ., I have seen a red one.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9353470

Marti, I love the tropical look and I am especially fond of the giants.
They grow wild here too, which is what caused my interest in the first place.
They are toxic, though not to touch. No children are unsupervised in my garden and I do not leave seeds lying around for the curious.
In the decades I have grown them I have never had anyone eat one and I have never heard of any child eating one or being made ill.
Hundreds of garden and indoor plants are highly toxic to people and pets; Rhododendrons and Rhubarb leaves come to mind, not to mention the ubiquitous Pokeweed; a child has only to walk by their parent's plant stand or walk outside to come in contact with them.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9353506

I Would love some One year Way back 2001 when I really started to get into gardening I received Seeds in a swap Planted a couple & one of them Grew up to be 15 ft tall & I forgot to safe seeds from it & then Never got any more .
while Looking in a book the other day reminded me of them so I would love to grow more again :)

& as for being Poison I have no kids around to worry about that & if the Deer want to Nipple & get sick well then maybe that will teach them to stay out of my gardens :) I Also love the tropical look . & as an added Plus Birds seem to sit on the Branches as they guarded their Nest & eat their seeds .

Well the Robin is on the way to CHICORY31- Should land on Monday & Yes there has always been a 3 day lay over but i guess i also need to take in concideration that some of you have JOBs & Family so if you really need an extra day or two PLease Just let us know .

Did I Mention The seed catologs have started landing in my mail box already ?? Along with i just got my Spring 2013 Bluestone book
so i have books to read today :) after i get back . Have to go shopping for a few things ya all have a great day .
back later
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9353554

Well, I guess I'll still not have them. I need the room to plant Elderberry bushes. My garden is one with flowers and I like to mix in things that I can eat or make jellies/jams, or salads out off. I'm busy killing pokeweed everytime I see it poke its head up. I keep a hoe handy and chop the thing out.

I'm looking forward to getting the Robin. I will be looking for mostly veggie seeds, but thought I'd look thru the flower seeds. I'm love some Bee Balm. My sister trys to dictate what I can plant in the garden, but I'm the one who does the gardening and watering and weeding, so I'll plant what I like.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9353562

I am already for that Robin to plop into my mailbox, actually it will land on the front porch. I think 3 days will be plenty for me unless something else comes up.

I got Baker's Creek and already have a seed order going out on Monday.

@ Marti- Many times with poisonous plants, it will cause the victim to vomit before they become ill, Repeated exposure is what causes problems. Most are so bitter with tannins and alkoloids that one taste will cause the one who put it in it's mouth to spit it out.
Even castor bean. I remember a woman ( Dr. ) tried to kill her husband by feeding him castor bean. That was in Kansas City about 15 yrs ago. She was feediing it to him over many months. He had a brain abcess but did not die. Ricin is very poisonous, but that is purified and very concentrated form of the toxin in castor bean.
Many of the plants that are toxic have very few pests a good reason to have them because they can deter pests for anything growing near them. That's why we grow many of the "poisonous" plants. They actually should be called toxic.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9353629

I grow 'poisonous' plants in my yard because I am out in the country and the deer, gophers, and bunnies eat everything I plant that is at all edilble. I've seen them strip an italian cypress. I do take some caution in the dog yard and I've never had a cat or a dog get sick from eating a plant. Children can easily be taught not to eat plants that mommy or daddy don't give them. Besides how interested are kids in veges anyway, LOL.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9353631

I took a plant propagation class back in September. It involved a couple of hours of classroom work and then full rein to take semi-hardwood cuttings from the Raulston Arboretum. Also included was 10 weeks in a misting bed in a greenhouse. Yesterday I picked up my cuttings and all but one type rooted for me. The Acca sellowiana, a pineapple guava, wasn't up to the task, but I'll give it a try again when it is in softwood stage in the spring. I ended up with many cuttings of 2 types of gardenia, 2 types of fig, 2 types of edgeworthia, and a beautyberry. They are potted up, tented, and will be put under lights later today. Hopefully I won't have much loss and will be able to trade some of the extras! The class repeats in January, with pickup in April, so this will be the hardwood cuttings. I believe that the class repeats in May too, for softwood cuttings. So fun!

Chicory, I'm sorry that you missed out on the group order for Baker's Creek. It was a lot like the Robin in that you could get a 'share' of a packet instead of wasting all the extras. Next time...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9353751

I agree about the 'poisonous' plants not being a real danger to people. My grandchildren were infants -who put everything in their mouths- at my old house years ago, where I had convallaria, Lilies Of The Valley, for one. I also grew Datura as an annual. I also had roses with thorns, lots of scary things. At that stage, my daughter never left them unattended outside, not because the plants were unsafe, but because of dirt, bugs, who knew what they could grab? I do understand that some people have dogs who eat plants indiscriminately and get sick. Then it makes sense to clear out the most toxic. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth the effort, and you can miss out on some real beauties. I also use them to discourage pestes wherever I can.

That propagation class sounds terrific! I haven't done much yet with cuttings, but I'm beginning to think about it more and more. To have access to a misting bed, wow! How fantastic!

I'm planning this week to start chilling my perennial seeds using the Deno method- paper towels in baggies, many in the frig for stratification. I'm hoping to get seedlings started under lights in January, some only take a couple of weeks of cold to germinate. I really have to plan my space well this year. Anything I start here in the city has to stay in the apartment until the end of March, then hopefully be big enough to harden off right away when we re- open the house. Anything I'm not in such a hurry for I can WS outside once we get back there.

Seed heaven...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9353853

Say Pam...where did you say you learned about the Deno method? And do you have a list of the goodies you start that way? Just curious to learn more...

anakila...wow...that's sounds like a wonderful class. sure would be something I'd like...'spose you could give us more info and teach us...lol, Please with a pretty!!!!

I don't have a misting bed but...Will be setting up my seed starting stand this week and will be placing plastic sheeting (painter's plastic drop cloth .7mil WMart $1.24) over it and along the sides to help hold the humidity in. I do however (when I'm home), mist my seedlings every few hours (once they are up, til then use dome over tray).

Boy that robin is moving pretty fast, lol...I'm beginning to think my April choice will be off a few months. Shucks!

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9353957

Hi, all.
Wow... 12 and 15 feet... Those are some tall plants!
Lanakila, that sounds like a neat class! I hope your cuttings all grow well for you :)
Susie, have fun looking through all those seed catalogs :)
Have a great rest of your weekend, everyone!
Michelle

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9353977

Kathy, where on Earth do you find space to put all of those plants once you've got them hardened off? I can't seem to get beds established well enough to place more than two or three flats a year, even though I try to stick with perennials. I'm just no good at keeping up with the weeds. Last year one of my beds was taken over by a pervasive weed that I couldn't spot kill. Darn things went to seed while I was on vacation and now they are sprouting constantly. I'm going to relocate the perennials and just kill off the bed for the season.

I decided to take the cuttings class because so many of the modern perennials are hybrids so they don't seed true. For example, all of the new echinacea are hybrids so you really need to clone them from rootstock if you want the same variety. One of the varieties of fig that I got does not grow well at all from seed, so cloning from a cutting was the best approach. We'll see though...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9354285

Google Norman Deno, lots of stuff comes up including his books, which were hard to get for a while, but are now in the public domain and available on line.

Another good source:
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page02.html

Also:
http://theseedsite.co.uk/
The seed site doesn't do Deno, but has lots of other germination info

One more:
http://www.robsplants.com/seed/baggy.php

I also keep a garden file on line that I add to whenever I see a good tip. I have charts, lists, etc.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
11:45 PM

Post #9354289

yup..I've heard about problems with the newer Echies...many even revert back. That's bad when you pay premium prices for new plants that aren't even perfected yet... Ya... I know what you are talking about, I don't always get them all planted either...there have been years where I worked up the ground and made beds to line them out... Yup and loose a bunch also...but I try my darndest to get them in...One year I had 110 flats of plants...How do you think I filled my border...lol...it's 45ft wide and 100ft long...it's taken me yearrrrs to fill it...and I do mean years. That's why most of my pix of the garden are of individual plants. I'm still waiting for things to grow and fill in as they were planted with mature ht x w in mind. I also learned a trick..plant my young perenns. at proper spacing and then interplant with annuals for a season or two..
See pix...I have many many gaps...In the areas I first began 5 years ago..they are now beginning to knit together nicely. And it seems like I loose many little ones over the winter, but all in all Iv'e had great success. I spend the winter potting on indoors when I can and then move them to one of two areas outside. I build a little mini greenhouse to the back side of the house one year. 2x4's and enclosed in plastic. If I do it early enough the ground warms and my hardiest babies go out, if too cold on certain nites I use frost blankets over the little ones..The main problem is I have to open them many times in the winter as it gets very warm on the south side where they are in full sun when not snowing..lol. Another area I have is to the backside of the garage. It's a smallish area 12'x14' almost west facing...was ahorse stall Ibelieve. I plastic it in and it stays nice and snug in there. Again only the hardiest go out early, Violas, Daisies, Dianthus, Coreopis; you know...the really tough plants. I do over plant, I know...but I'm just never sure how many I will get in. And I have also donated many to my garden club as part of our fund raising in the spring. I give away bunches toooo. I try to make sure I plant the really special stuff or hard to start thing first.

This will be the first winter in 3 years I've had to set up my grow room and am excited as this is the second seed trade for the year and soo many new ones I ordered also... I have a back yard to fill now, holes in the main border and another garden room that I started years ago..yup w**ds are a problem sometimes, the annuals are pesky but easy it's those perenn grasses that I'm battling now...

One thing I'm attempting to do is plant different things in different areas when I can, so there's some diversity in plant material and not the same thing over and over and over..you get the idea..And yes oh so many hours of planting. Tho rototilling the area first when possible helps. Can't do that in the main border any more tho..too many plants now so have to dig individual holes.

When I do buy plants I usually try to divide to help increase plant material, many times growing more from seed gotten off the plant..I've had great luck so far, it just takes time for things to fill in when planting such a large space..And alot of peat moss!!!!! LOL. This coming spring I will be doing editing so things look more like I want them, not just filling spaces with plants that I have extras of. Isn't gardening fun!!!! Lol. It's also a great help when I can find reseeders that I like such as in pix 4, the johnny jump ups help to fill in gaps. My garden goes all the way toward the top of the pix, grey carpet is my path on far right side. See, look at all those gaps.

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9354429

Lanakila, If you give bottom heat to the Pineapple guava it will root faster. I worked at Logee's for a couple of years. we used bottom heat on many things because they needed to get started fast.

I always miss out on stuff. =/
But I prefer to be outside than on the computer no matter what the weather. That is why I rarely post. I have a greenhouse so when it is cold, I am out there most of the time.
Right now I am working collecting seed from my stash to WS. I am ready for it to cool off. I have rose cuttings in the GH that are just starting to root and I want them to be solid before I move them to bottom heat for a little while. They were started a couple of months ago from a trade.

I also spend a lot of time with my dogs. They are my real hobby. I compete in obedience and agility, and the breed ring (think Westminster but not us LOL)
I am a Horticulturist by education and trade. I no longer garden for a living, that is a luxury for someone to have a gardener. When the economy tanked so did my husband's job. So we moved and I left a job I truly loved and had dreamed of. Not often are there Estate gardening positions where a gardener is given free rein. I had some very modern and crazy things there.
So I do gardening for myself. I still do some small design jobs but that is it.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9354539

Kerrie you can come redo My gardens any time I truly need a designer:) Free REINS Here :)

GM all Snowy cold day so off to bake ya all have a good day . Robin should land today :)
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9354575

I am ready and armed with extra seed to trade.
No snow here it is 65 right now .
I need to bake too but have some other things I need to attend to.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9354669

Logee's

I was actually down your way a few weeks ago, Kerrie. I did some geocaching out at the Idlewild Road Park. One of the BEST caches I've ever done was there! Best. Really. Awesome.

I'll definitely try a little bottom warmth for the Acca sellowiana in January. I might do half of them dipped in IBA and run through the misting bed, and the other half at home under a standard plastic tent with some heat.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2012

Post #9355408

Logee's fun place to work and at the end of the season there was always tons of extras to take home. It is a tropical retail/mailorder greenhouse in Connecticut.

I live just a couple of miles from the 218 /485 exit (44) in Mint Hill. We do geocaching too! there are a couple at the park in Mint Hill , one I have found but the other I have not. I think it has not been updated. Had my first experience with fire ants doing a geocache.

I think you will have better luck and will get some of those rooting well with bottom heat.

The robin is huge. not sure how it flies, I think it is a ground only bird right now.
czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

December 11, 2012

Post #9355433

The robin sounds exciting!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9355439

Kerrie : Hope you have a great day with the robin today & Just wanted to say when you get ready to put him back in the air will you dmail me the conf#

I'm going out in my little shed & get out all my containers for my winter sowing
back later in the day
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9355718

OK Deejay I will send you the conf# .
I am ready for WS just wish it would cool off so I can start working on it.
Czimmerman it will leave for Ky tomorrow. It didn't get to my house until last evening.
I found some things that will be good here. Added a few things some may find fun. Hopefully some one can grow Sahuaro cactus =)

Have a nice evening all
czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

December 11, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9355730

Will be keeping an eye out for the robin
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9355782

It's well worth the wait, Chris!

czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

December 11, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9356004

Yes im sure it is!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9356061

PFG, I did a lot with cuttings last year. I met a guy selling plants at the Farmer's Market and he did all of his plants with cuttings. The main thing I learned from him was that smaller is better and only a couple of leaves as it takes to much energy to maintain a bunch of leaves. He would even cut larger leaved cuttings leaves in half. All of his cuttings are about 3.5" tall - 2.5" out and 1" in the soil. I did Brugmansias, figs, Catalina cherry, Plectranthus, Lemon Verbena, Rosemary, lavender, and a half-dozen different geraniums. The lavender was the only one that didn't take at all, I think I'll retry it in Spring, before it blooms next time. I have over 1,000 cells seeded already this fall. And I'm still excited about getting the robin and planting some more . . .it's a sickness.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9356182

Naw, not really... Or maybe just a little?!

I'm ready to start pre-treatment on my first batch of perennial seeds. I've made a list of the ones that take the longest to germinate and what I'm going to try first. I plan to post as I get results-- or not, lol-- and hope others will add their knowledge as well.

Here's my new thread in the Seed Germination forum:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9356178

I hope to see you there!

Pam

This message was edited Dec 12, 2012 6:21 AM

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9356225

GM all Well it is 12-12-12 & Sounds as the Robin is going to fly again today so could be another Landing about Friday :).
Big day today My friend Judy & I are going Out for the day shop , Dine, then off to Bingo this eve this is our time for she & Hubby Leave for Texas day after Christmas so i have to get off here & get ready for the day .

pam i will check out your post proble tomorrow . Nice sunny day . ya all have a great day back tomorrow .

susie
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9356442

Well CZimmerman it is on it's way!

Hope you enjoy it!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9356505

After that it's my turn!!! YA!!!! I'm counting the days and watching the mail!!!!!

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9356767

Marti001, I'll be sending you a smaller packet to include in the Robin. I received a seed order since it flew through my neighborhood and I want to add some to my baggie.

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9356806

Ok, I'll do that.
czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

December 14, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9358089

Just received a very fat robin!! Whoohoo! Fun seed diving ahead:)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9358216

I'm next!!!!!!!!!!!! YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9358372

Hi, all.
Ah, that's a magical robin, you know... That's how it can fly even though it's so big :)
Have fun sorting through all those seeds!
Michelle

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9358376

To those that have seen the box...is there any Verbena bonariensis and Monarda Lambada in it?

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9358433

Couldn't begin to tell you Kathy. That box is crazy full. Maybe if someone has put those seeds in there they will post.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9358610

You mean you didn't memorize all of them...lol.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9358684

I have some verbena bonariensis I can put in for you wwkathy and I'm in line before you.
I grew it last year and it will one I replant this year, I really like it.
I was curious when you all put out flower seed in your gardens. I do mostly perennials and I grow them indoors or in the greenhouse and set them out as plants.
I have too much seed this year to grow them all in pots so I thought I'd try sowing some of them in the garden. It's risky, I have a lot of birds. But I figure it's worth a try, at least with some of the extra seed.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9358790

Kathy I just looked up the hardyness & it says z7-11 we are z5 will it bloom for us the 1st year ya think ? can we grow it as an annual ???
it is very pretty . would love to try it .

Dee I Plan to plant right in the gardens rain is going to move in today for the next few days so I hope to get more seeds in this morning .
then off to a Memorial so can't stay will be back later today.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9358853

Kathy, I keep trying to come up with a song to help me remember them all...but then the Robin came and I had to change the lyrics. :P
czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

December 15, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9358880

Just dropped off the robin at the p.o!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9358974

I'll be seying on th mail box waiting. I have to be gone Tuesday and Wed from 10 am til about 5 pm, but sissy is here and she keep it for me.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9359107

Marti sure you will have the robin by Monday the way it is flying so you will have all afternoon to go through it & then have it in the air by Weds so then Poisondartfrog? ALANA will get it by FRI & Have her 3 days with it . & Then Hope fully FRAUSNOW will have it over christmas
& then get it off again before New years Mail is alway slowed or delayed so we try to give the ROBIN a rest In a Nice safe Place.

just got home a while ago & Been looking up about some of my seeds so i can get them started . so back to my search
you all have a great day back soon.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9359116

Susies on hardiness...were you referrring to the monarda? If so...I've seen it listed as z6 also, but have had 1 plant over winter yearsssss ago at a lower elevation. Don't worry about it not being hardy it will reseed a little from what I remember ... and if ref the Verbena b. , it would be my first time growing but I understand it is a reseeder.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9359166

I will be working all day Tuesday and Wednesday so will not be able to get it back in the mail til Thursday morning. Sissy can not drive so she can't take it on Wed and I get off work at 5 pm.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9359311

I just received some of the coolest seeds. It's called cardiocrinum gigantea and if anyone in zone 7b and up is interested I have plenty to share. They take like 6+ years to bloom, but I think they'll be worth the wait. I also have fresh fortnight lily seeds I harvested today.
Cardiocrinum lily:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53513/

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9359372

OHHH lucky you...I've looked at those for years...Six years is a long time to invest in growing them to bloom size. Good Luck, I hope they are worth the wait for you. Sad to say they are not hardy here or I would chime in with my hand waving...

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9359646

Yikes!! She's almost on my doorstep! I put together some new seed packets yesterday so I will be ready.
If the stars are in alignment and Marti mails it to me on Thursday I should receive it Friday. Even if the PO is bogged down it will be here Saturday at the latest. If I were more familiar with Somerset I could just drive up and get it.
Have a good Sunday,
Alana
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9359661

Alana, how about I drive over to Barbourville on Thursday and deliver the Robin to you. You can show me your garden. If that would be alright otherwise I'll drop it in the mail on Thursday.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9359758

Well Dog-Gone My Post Done went right out into space sorry about that .
Just wanted to say that Marti it is fine that you mail on thursday. & to ask if anyone has Grown
any of these & How do they do in your gardens . How tall , are they invassive ?

FERN LEAF DROPWORT Meadowsweet Filipendula Vulgaris Flower
TALL WHITE BONESET (Thoroughwort) Eupatorium Perfoliatum
Red BURNET Sanguisorba Officinalis

Brother Gave me $100. To Shop for anything I Want :) so off i go :))))
Back later

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9359787

Marti, I am off for two weeks after Wednesday. Thursday and Friday I am going to be at my daughter's home in Corbin helping her prepare for the holidays. It is fine if you mail Thursday as Susie says, or if you want to come to Corbin I can meet you at some easy to find landmark there. Whichever you prefer is fine with me. Either way I should be able to get the Robin back in the air on Monday unless Susie thinks I should wait until Wednesday so it won't be rattling around the PO on Christmas.

Alana

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9359811

WWKathy, I have some veronica spicata (I think might have been from you in the last seed trade) that is sprouting. Do you know if deer eat this? If not I have the perfect place for it, if so I'm gonna have to think a little harder.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9359831

I don't want to distrub your visit with you daughter so I will mail the Robin on Thursday. Have a good visit with your daughter.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9359910

Boneset reseeds for me, but not too badly. I just moved it from a place where it was too tall next to a good clump of Joe Pye weed. It never over-expanded its spot, but I find
seedlings here and there. Some I keep, some I pull.
Filipendula never has yet. I love this plant. Used to have it years ago. I just got a couple of babies this spring, put them in a place that may be a little awkward for them, in a pocket in the Falling Down Wall, not in full sun. They are growing well but no flowers in 2012. I may have to move them out into the open...
Red burnet I don't know, used to grow the standard one. Isn't it an annual?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9360687

A big, fat Robin just landed on my porch!!!! Oh joy!! I have to work the next 2 days at a friends shop and will have nothing to do but look thru the Robin.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9360758

How can you work & Look at the robin at the same time ?? What type of work you doing ???
You will be through it in no time today :)))) How are the extra baggies in the robin do we need to add more to
it ???
I've been stacking wood this morning Lots more to do But Just wanted to stop in & See if the robin landed

Kathy was my SS On another Swap & Sent me 2 books to go through to help plan my Gardens come Spring & I Look forward to going through them :) well back to stacking back later
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9360855

I will be watching a friends fish market. Most days especially during the middle of the month sales are real slow, so I'll take a book, my crocheting and as to the Robin, I couldn't wait and am going thru it right now. Nice fat robin with lots of pretty things. I got the special stuff out that has my name on it and am looking thru the rest. As I don't have much in the way of seeds to add to it this year, if I see something I'd like to try, I am using my own bags and only taking out a pinch here and there.
BUT next yr I will have lots to share with everyone, you just watch me. I want to thank everyone who put in veggie, herb and some flower seeds just for me. And to everyone else thanks for sharing also.
Baggies are fine. I'm using my own.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9360890

I plan to add extra baggies when it gets to me - whenever that is LOL! Fly fly fly robin!

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9360941

Marti, my additions are on their way to you so I hope that it gets to you before the Robin takes off again!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9360965

Got them today also. I put them in the box.

LaMarion, in your sack is seeds for Solumn Cherry - long-lived ornatunal bush. What are those? They look like tomotoe seeds.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9360980

Well, I just finished looking thru the robin. Its all packed back up and addressed. I'll take it to the post office Wed morning before I go to work at 10 am.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9361051

Dome...my deer have never bothered with my Veronicas (yet)...lol...nope, truely not in 5 years here or 5 years in previous grden. Isn't that wonderful news...lol. Just to reminds you this variety gets to 28", most top out at 14-18". And if I remember they will even bloom a bit for you this year...one of those that "bloom first year plants".

Here are some pix of my growing stand, yikes, hmm, not sure what happened. Some didn't download will take some more after phone charges, of the different sections...Just in case anyone else is interested in making one. Can adjust the amount of shelves for less if needed (shorter unit). But all 1x2's and 2x2's, screws and some plywood on shelves, mine, I recycled, so is rather inexpensive unit.. And shop lights are about $10-15 plus bulbs (another $2-8 depending on what is used, grow bulb or a warm and a cool bulb, Home Depots prices are great!). Ok, got pix of the other pieces, #4 is one of the end units and #5 is of shelf unit. Will be getting more pix as I put it together and am redoing the end peices this year as the hole are stipped from the screws after so many years.. Just waiting for batteries on power tools to charge.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
12:06 AM

Post #9361168

Oh good, about the deer. I love it when I find plants I can put out front. I like your seed set up. I have one of those light set-ups with the adjustable fixture. It works well but will only take four trays at a time so I end up alternating trays inside on the mats and then outside in the unheated greenhouse. I also have a few heat mats in windowsills. I like the idea of just covering the whole thing in plastic instead of having to remove individual plastic domes, they drip all over.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9361224

Gm All Just waiting for daylight 7:30 & Still very dark out side :) . Doc called last Night & wants me there today for a few more blood samples
so My plans for today are once again changed .

I was reading in the gardening books i recieved from kathy yesterday in my xmas box & Found many type of plants i would like to try.
my brother has been logging out our woods & I Took a walk up to the rock pile yesterday afternoon & It Looks so much better back there .
Jim & I sat on a couple stumps Looking around & He was already planing a few wild gardens I Know MY BRO Garden ????
But Since he moved out here there is a Big Change in him :) a GOOD ONE :)))

well daylight is trying to break & I have to get ready so ya all have a great day.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9362460

The Robin took flight this morning on it's way to Alana in Barbourville, KY.
Confirmation # 0311 3260 0002 0527 0691

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9362554

I won't be home tomorrow, but there is a chance it will arrive since we are so close. I let my friend that always takes charge of my packages know and if it does come he'll call me. I will be home on Friday and my seeds are all ready to add so I will get it out on Saturday if nothing untoward happens.
Alana
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9363453

Kathy, I hope you're ok in this blizzard! Is anyone else here affected by it? It's a big one!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9363456

Yup..I got 25ft of snow.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9363470

Ok...I was being a brat...I barely got a few inches... Next storm on the way for Christmas eve and day. Fingers are crossed!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9363512

Ok, brat...lol You scared the willies out of me. I could just see you digging a tunnel to get to your car...or worst lost in a whiteout.

We're just getting rain, and it's cold. Our high tomorrow might hit 40 and don't want to be out in the high winds. If any of you are traveling during Christmas, be safe!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9363517

No travel here they say our snow is moving in over night tonight but not sure how much . the rain has stopped .
News will be on at 11 pm so going to sign off for the night back for coffee.
GN All

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9363564

Well, you had me going. I kept saying to myself "25 feet", "25 feet", she lives somewhere that gets "25 feet" of snow in a couple days, that's insane.
Is that even possible, silly California girl, LOL.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9363677

It is Windy & Snowy here but they say only about 1-2 In Nothing like what is North of us . I Have some Baking to do today & Tomorrow for we have a christmas party on sunday With Jim;s xwife & His 5 Kids ,about 15 GKS, & ?GGK's I Lost track, but most of them i have not seen
for many years so going to get to visit on sunday :) Looking forward to it :)

well off to get my day going here back later
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 21, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9363684

got about 3" yesterday - we were just supposed to get a "dusting". More to come in the next few days.
Temps in the single digits.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9363745

I'm glad no one's getting buried...

Tsk tsk Kathy! LOL

We're in Florida... 55 degrees and sunny...
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9363748

We have winds, cool temp, and snow flurries. I wish I had a fireplace to curl up in front of.
mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9363870

12" and sustained winds at 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph. That is what we are digging out of here. Travel is still not recommended. Even Des Moines schools were closed yesterday and today.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9363968

Very windy here but just a scant of snow . Had to go fix the door on the DUCK Pen but other then that all is well. :) Good to hear you are safe in your house MELEN :) Missed ya here but i know you've been watching :)
well off to get some cookies baked going up to see all Jim's Kids Sunday so will be back later or tomorrow morning :)

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9364048

I just got home and the robin is here-it came today apparently. I've got a lot to do but I will try to get it out tomorrow. If not, it will ship on Monday. I will post when she takes off.
Alana

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9364227

Wowsers! This is the third year I have participated in this Robin, and it is by far the nicest in terms of variety. I found myself pinching and dipping into several baggies. Most of the seeds I added are presorted and bagged individually, but I noticed there are plenty of baggies in the box so I did not add any.
The box itself may need to be replaced after this trip. I did not have one on hand the right size or I would have done that but I did not want to wait another day while I went to get a box. The PO here is only open 9-11 on Saturday.
My postage is all printed and the mailman will be picking the box up tomorrow. Frausnow, you are in for a pleasant hour or two of seed diving.
Alana
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9364310

That's exactly what I thought, Alana. Can't remember if this was my third or fourth time having the Robin but can honestly say this year's nest was the absolute best yet, hands down. All you waiting in line hang in there. You are in for a real treat. I added a bunch of baggies, two different sizes, and am glad there is still a good supply for any of you to use. Of course someone after me could have added a supply as well.

Glad you see you, mellen. That's a lot of snow in a relatively short time. Be safe. We still have high winds and only saw a few stray flakes blowing by today. From upstairs, it was neat watched a squall on the mountaintops in the neighboring County.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9364355

Well, here in sunny California we're expecting rain over the weekend. Got the roof on my grand-daughters new playhouse just in time. Been getting cold at night, at least for here, close enough to freezing to keep an eye on it. I hate to bring in more plants, my house already looks like a botanical garden. I don't know whether to feel sorry for or jealous of you that get snow. I haven't seen snow in years, I'd love to go sledding, LOL.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9364389

Hi, all.
Waving hello... I'm here, But I'm still having internet problems, so haven't been able to post lately. Finally got a chance :)
Great to hear the robin is still moving along :) Looks like it still has a few more stops before it arrives here... Better get my seeds ready :)
Will stop by again when I can!
Michelle

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9364563

GM All Have been busy baking for our Xmas Dnner Tomorrow With Jims 5 Kids & ALLLLLLLLLLLLL 20-30 Kids & GK"S & GGK"s
Wish I Had some VALIUM So I could handle the CAOS Better :) I'm Sure there will be Wine so That should help :)
I have not seen some of the Kids for about 5+ yrs so it will be a fun time really .

Today I'm Baking my goodies to take with so may not be on allot .

wanted to share this site I have been ordering a few that I Want to add to my Gardens & I have some extra that I Hope to share in the second
time around swap . when the Robins gets out at GQ's I will put a sign up page up :) .
well back to the Kitchen ya all have a great weekend SUNNY Cold here . No Heavy Snow here .
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_30?rh=n:2972638011,p_4:Seedville&page=30&ie=UTF8&qid=1355623019

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9364914

Dome...lol. Didn't mean to scare you about the 25ft... I do remember when I was 14 and getting snowed in and I do mean snowed in. Just after Christmas in '68-'69 we got 5ft of snow (was living in South Dakota at the time). It blew and blew... Drifts ended up to the tops of telephone pole, no kidding...anyone else in that area remember that one? We lived in the country and I remember it taking them almost a week to get our road opened. Driving down the road and you could only see a wall of snow out the car window... I remember being able to go to the back side of a one story house and running off the roof to jump into the drifts on the other side. They called it the storm of the century...

Need to finish putting up my seed stand, will try to finish this weekend...lol.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9365047

Hi, all.
Yay... Internet again! :)
Oh, meant to mention that when I read the "25ft of snow", I too stopped to wonder if that were possible in such a short time :)
Glad it was really only a few inches! LOL
Even five feet of snow is a lot to imagine! That must have been quite the experience!
You all stay safe...
Michelle

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9365264

GM What a beauty ful cool morning sun is popping out & a great day to go to be with the kids guess i better get ready wishing you all a great day also . back later
susie

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9365756

Gosh don't Mellon and Minni remember that one, How 'bout you DJ?

Got it up and just finishing putting lights up. Have to finish the bottom shelf tomorrow and then on to seeding...

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9365769

WWK I really like the light set-up. I have one of those ones you can adjust the fixture height, only I don't really need to adjust the fixture height. I remove the seedlings as soon as they sprout and move them to the greenhouse. It is nice and large though, it holds 4 large germination trays and I can get 2 more on the window sill.
It's after 10:00 and I just stopped cleaning the house for tomorrow's festivities.
You all have a Merry Christmas . . .

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9365927

GM all Just a few more last min duties for santa's visit tonight but just wanted to stop by & say MERRY CHRISTMAS I Maybe back later today so stay well be happy share your smile with others :)))
Nice set up Kathy wish I had the room for one . mine has to be put out side .

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2012

Post #9366009

OMG!! I am going to get a lump of coal in my stocking this year for sure-worse even. I was tidying up before going off to an afternoon Christmas Eve with some extended family members and just under the edge of my bed was a small zip lock of seeds from the Robin that I missed putting back into the box. (Yes, I did go through the box in bed, lol.) I am so sorry!
To rectify my error, I'm going to email frausnow a list of what is in the baggie on Wednesday and take out any she wanted and mail to her directly. Then I will mail the baggie to the next person on the route so that this won't slow us down.
Jeez 'O' Pete!
Alana

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9366053

Dome...lucky you, a greenhouse...always wanted one! Lol, are you listening Santa?!!!! Might be dangerous tho...I could grow tooo many plants. Going out to find some 21/2" pots later, get them washed up and I'm thinking I might start some things tomorrow. Christmas present to myself.

Snow is moving in tonight and will continue over night, hope we get a good one!!! Hope everyone has a Very Merry, am going to my daughter's tonight. Yea...pressies, lol!

I'm still going through my stash, gosh what to start!!!? And this box isn't even here yet. I have soo many seeds. I will be doing many new annuals this year but it's not time for those yet, shucks.. Has anyone ever grown Polygonum orientale (Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate, in both red and pink). I'm excited I hope I like them!! Got lots of different types of poppies to try this year also, most are annuals tho. Oh, and scads of different varieties of Digitalis (foxgloves), Problem is I will have to wait til next summer for them to bloom as they are Biennials, (unless I can trick them into bloom this season, wishing!!)

Has anyone grown the new(ish), Antihinnum m. 'The Bride' yet? Got from T&M Seeds. Theyv'e been touting that they are fragrant. Hope so.

Brought my bale of peat moss in the house the other day to make sure it's not frozen, OMG, how bad is that...lol. Thinking I should take it back outside today and divide it into bags so I can bring in smaller amounts as needed. I've made the mistake of not dividing it and breaking off frozen chuncks in the middle of winter is just not my idea of fun...So what's everyone starting?

And those that start things outside in the winter, how do you do yours? Should I keep them on the sheltered porch or do I want them out there to get snow on them? Do you winter water them?

Alana...how funny...Do you always take seeds to bed with you? LOL.

Have a great day everyone!!!! Hope Santa bring lots of goodies for everyone!

Any seeds in the box for this one? Papaver soniferum (thinking it's Lauren's Grape)?

frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9366110

Woo, hoo! Merry Christmas to me...the robin landed on my doorstep today. I will get it back in the mail on Wednesday. Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas! BTW, I'm sending it in a new box since this one is pretty well beat up.

JoAnn
mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9366160

I do remember the snow back in the late 60's. I was in my mid-teens at the time. It was a biggie!

Am hoping to start wintersowing after the first of the year. My sister who lives 35 mi. away wants to come help me. It will be FUN! The year that I had the best luck was when I put the jugs on the deck/north side of the house. That way they got water from the snow and a bit of sun/warmth when it was needed.

Merry Christmas, Susie, and everyone else here!
ME

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9366583

GM & MERRY CHRISTMAS To all :)
Off to watch Zoey Open her Packages from Santa soon They are haven Breakfast so taken this time to Wishing ev1
A Special day With Family & Friends .

Well we Know where Our Birdie will be Haven Xmas Dinner :)))) New Box will be great :)

Have a great day will be back later

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9366585

Kathy, I don't always take seeds to bed with me, but I do it fairly often. In place of reading in bed, some nights I take a few seeds and pull out a few of my favorite botanical references and read up on them.

I should have time to mail frausnow tonight and get the seeds in tomorrow's mail for the next person.

My pie crusts are made and all I have to do now is fill them.
Have a great day, everyone.
Alana
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9366589

Merry Christmas, everyone!!!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9366650

Oops- pic! :))))

Thumbnail by Pfg

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9366667

No white Christmas for me! DARN!!
Just finished 4 Cream Cheese Pies. They are in the refrigerator and will be ready for dinner this evening. Yummy!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9366690

PAM Looks as Santa Left his FT Prints in the snow :))))

Jim Has Turkey In his oven so I'm making the Ham / yams/ & roll so thought i would pop in for a few to look up a couple things online :) back later
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9366701

No snow for us, either- we're in Florida visiting DD, SIL and the GKs. Today, picnic on the beach, first really hot day since we've been here.

Happy day, all. :)))
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9366703

Hope all are well and have a great christmas

Thumbnail by risingcreek

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9366710

Lol Alana, just make sure they aren't open...And whatever you do don't take "The Royal Hort. Society Book to bed with you...it's huge!!! lol.

Got about 4" of light fluffy snow, but it's too burry (5*) to go get pix, sorry, I'm stay'in inside today!!!! Got trays and pots, peat and vermiculite in yesterday, maybe I will do some mixing...and plant me some goodies...lol.

Merry Christmas All!!!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9366798

I found this in a book I sent to dj for Christmas:

"No gift is as beautiful as a flower. In their colors, scents, and shapes, flowers are as various as the moods of the human heart. These are the reasons why flowers are so often the messengers through which emotions, wishes, and thoughts are expressed.
The flowers are all around, waiting to speak." From the book 'The Language of Flowers' edited by Gregory C. Aaron

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9366955

I've sent frausnow the list of seeds in the missing baggie. If she gets back to me by tomorrow afternoon I will get the rest on the way to join the robin in route tomorrow afternoon.
I hope everyone had a wonderful day.
Alana
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9367030

Merry Christmas to all my seed friends!

Alana, I think you're the only one that's slept with the Robin...lol

Wish we had snow like your photo, Pam, to make tracks in. Enjoy sunny Florida with your family and wiggle your toes in the sand for me.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2012
12:29 AM

Post #9367219

Hi, all.
Merry Christmas! Hope you all had a blessed one :)
Michelle

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9367270

GM All Just enjoying my coffee along with much Needed quietness :) the wind is strong & snow is on the way & I'm not planing to go anywhere for the next few days :) just staying in waiting for my new seed starter stand to arrive this next week .
I've gotten a few New packs of seeds that I'm going to be Dividing up to add to the Robin for the 2nd time around.

Do any of you remeber the old MA&PA Kettle Movies way back when ??? Well My Neighbor Bob & Carolyn got me the CD & I Was up till 2 am Just watching the 1st CD & I Felt like I was back in the days was so good & So funny & there is 10 classics movies so ya know what I will be watching in the evening :)

I do have to go out & Feed water MY MA "MOLLY" Duck Yes I still have her she is Now 5 yrs old got to take out her Peas , & Hot water
so she can play in her pool before the snow fall so ya all have a great day back later.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 26, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9367312

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope Santa was good to everyone :)

As far as remembering the snow from the 60's - I cant say that I do. I wasn't born until '73 :)
I do remember a big snow storm in the 80's in MN. Drifts were up to the 2nd level of the house. And then there was '91 - 2' on Halloween and we still had school the next day - not even a delay :/

WWK - I dropped seed from Kiss me over the Garden gate early in the fall - hoping I get something to come up but I can honestly say I do not recall where I planted them...I imagine near a fence though :)

I would love to try and start seed inside this year. Just dont have the set up for it yet. And in 2013, I will come up with some sort of greenhouse set up outside. Gift to myself. I did get potting soil and starter trays from the kids for Christmas:) and A Kitchenaid mixer from DH. Very happy about that - now I just need a place to store it.

If anyone needs sweets - let me know :)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9367547

I want the Ma & Pa Kettle movies! I loved them as a kid.
I got 2 huge ceramic pots for Christmas, so cool. I'm going to have to decide where and what to put in them.
Maybe I'll use them for those "can be invasive" plants I have in the seed trays. Ever since the horseradish went rogue I'm a little afraid of "invasive" plants.
Truth be told they have to be pretty drought tolerant to survive in the wild here, but they can still get out of control in my garden.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9367698

I like Ma and Pa Kettle too! When I came home from school each day I watched the 4 '0' Clock movie, and they made frequent appearances.

I have not heard from JoAnn. If I don't hear from her by tomorrow I will send the seeds on to Paula.

I would love to spend a few of my remaining days off working outside, but I think mother nature is trying to make up for this year's drought before the year ends. I am going to clean out the greenhouses and get ready to start some seeds, though.

Alana

frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9367874

Paula P the robin is on its way to you! I mailed it today.
paula_p
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9367876

thank you, I will be watching for it:)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9367993

Yes! I remember Ma and Pa Kettle with fondness, such funny calamities those folks always manged to get themselves into.

We had a thin crust of sleet today after it rained all night and is raining again. The roads looked the worst around lunchtime and felt so sorry for our mail lady driving around in her little car. She brought us several dozen fresh eggs from her farm and I reciprocated with a hot bowl of beef stew. The sun never peeked out but the roads were clear by mid-afternoon. Some of you further North and in the Mid-West are in for a doozy of a snow storm. Be safe and stay home if you can.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9368131

It's been raining here but I still managed to get a little weeding done. I'm so far behind in my yard work, with Christmas and building my grand-daughter a playhouse. I'll have to post some pictures as soon as it clears up enough to paint the outside. It came out so cute, it's 6' x 8', has three windows and a 4' tall door. Hopefully we'll be able to get the door on tomarrow. During the entire process little Nat (4 yrs. old) kept asking "It's going to have a doorknob, right?". So we got her a nice doorknob, LOL.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9368177

Paula, the little envelope of missing seeds is on it's way to you. It may take a day or so to catch up with the Robin but it should be there soon.
Alana
paula_p
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9368200

thanks Alana, I'll watch for the "catchup" baggie, too:)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9368244

GM Wow can you believe the robin is 1/2 way already ??? He has landed & Taken off 17 times .
Just 15 More Landings & Take off's :)

we got about 2-3in of snow & so when it snows I Like to get into a few Hobbies so now after my exercises this morning & i have
my garden mail taken care of :) I Will get back into painting rocks, & Other crafts :)
so ya all have a great day . conf# says Looks as the robin will land on the 28 th in TX :)))
Hey paula have you a few Tx blue bell ??? or chocolate flower ??

well have a great day ev1 back later

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9368273

Yay I'm next after Paula and boy am I ready - woo hoo!

Sue G
paula_p
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9369089

Robin has landed! He has a nice new box and is stuffed full of great seeds.

I won't be able to go through the box and pick out seeds today, though.

My two year old grandson is staying with me today...as much as he would love to "help" me, think I will wait and look at seeds after he goes home tomorrow.

Box will go out early Monday morning!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9369138

Awwww come on Paula, he just wants to helpppp!! lol! Gosh isn't it time to put him down for a nap yet?

Dj...is that Mertensia your looking for? If so I usually have some that appear in the border that always need moving, I usually toss them...so let me know come spring if needed. Ok...pix thingy not doing what's it's suppose to, will try again.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9369142

They grow wild here and actually have them over several acres susie.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 28, 2012

Post #9369229

Kathy - can you put me down for some of those this spring? They remind me of spiderwort...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2012

Post #9369231

kathy are those TX Blue bells ? so pretty I was looking them up & found there is a Virgina Blue bell & A california BlueBell also
#1 IS CA
#2 IS TX
#3 IS VA
I love them all & Was wondering if they could be planted as a annual here .
sorry but not feeling well this afternoon guess a bug is getting me not sure yet . have a stiff neck & sore throat starting
so going to go lay back wishing you all wellness .

Paula glad the robin arrived safely maybe you will find a few seeds that your GS can help you plant later spring :)))
Teach them young :)

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9      

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9369314

Not sure what 1 is,
2 is wild lupine, am thinking Lupinus texensis, common is bluebonnets, wish mine were as pretty as those above, lol, mine are a lighter shade of blue and get about 12-16", almost bushy, sorry I don't have a pix. If any consulation will get one this spring.
3 is Mertensia virginica, common name is bluebells, mine are wild colorado form...lol
see the problem with using common names...lol and minn to let you know those pix are taken with the wild feild grasses...
ok...I'll shut up now..lol

Pix my mertensia with another unk wildflower(on the right)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9369714

GM all slight cold so will be back when feeling up to it
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9370075

Hi, all.
We think we finally got our internet fixed. Yay!
Waving hello at the robin... It will be here before I know it! It might even get to California before the feathered ones that live in the trees! :)
Paula, have fun with all those seeds!
Michelle
paula_p
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9370079

just finished sorting through seeds, robin is packed & ready to ship Monday morning.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9370859

Hey all. :)

Susie - I have not been on DG much, but I had been looking for the robin thread. Don't know how I missed it.

Stephanie/Minni said that spot #23 is open so maybe you could squeeze me in?

Sorry I've been such a lousy sport the past several months. I mean well. ;)

Hope to hear from you soon.

xox
A.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

December 30, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9370862

Good evening everyone, been mia for a while--working alot-- but just checking in and see that everyone seems to be having quite the time with the robin and sounds like everyone is "feeding" it well so it will be "nice and fat" by the time it reaches us Michiganders at the end of the line!! Glad I sent mine out to Susie before it started making it's rounds so everyone else could get a "pinch" of what I had to share! Have a great night!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9371172

GM Looks as i maybe out of it for a few more days This cold has me good.
Amanda I will add you to the 2 time around rather then go from calf to NC then back to OR .
well off to lay back ya all have a Great DAY & Have a safe EVENING Sure you all know where I Will be :))
paula_p
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2012

Post #9371271

mailed the robin box this morning.

CheerMom, you'll be getting a box full of great seeds later this week!

Thank You to everyone for sharing seeds
This was my first seed robin and it was a lot of fun looking through all of the different types of seeds & picking out a few keepers.

****I forgot about the seeds Alana wanted to put back in the robin---got a mailer full of seeds from her today.
Post Office closed at noon today so I will mail to CheerMom Wednesday morning.****

paula_p

This message was edited Dec 31, 2012 1:58 PM
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9371319

starting to get excited, I am next after cheermom!

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9371563

Happy New Year, everyone!
Alana

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9371579

Just stopping in to say HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all . runny sneezy Nose not sure if feet stink have no since of smell
maybe i should fix me a hot totty :) Be safe all.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9371713

Happy New Year!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 1, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9372030

Hope everyone had a safe and happy new year!! I was nice and warm and cozy snuggled in bed at midnight!! Boys were awake with hubby but I did not get up! Plan on starting to go through the few seeds I have and see what I should try to get going soon -- we'll see though-- may just end up off on another venture!!! Have a good day everyone.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9372063

Gm HAPPY NEW YEAR I Was also in Bed at Midnight but i woke just in time to see the ball drop & watch all the crazy's out into the cold night air & Then I shut TV Off .
Went for my Blood draw yesterday & Picked up a few More Bottles of my V8 & Still No better I Feel as if I have a Hang over this Morning
NO I DID NOT Make a Bloody mary Last night :) I Probably should have ..

anyone Know of a good spell check program that can also correct the spelling :) ?
well Just had my coffee & Juices & So off to try to ride my bike 40lbs in 40 days
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9372122

I was sound asleep at midnight! Everyone knew not to wake me up!!!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9372589

happy new year!!!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9373008

Took a walk around the yard this morning. I know these are not seeds but look what I found growing on a log in my garden. Wonder if they are edible, but I'm not going to try them to find out. I'll just let them grow and see what happens.

Thumbnail by marti001

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9373108

maybe the ferns and fungi forum could id it for you
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2013
9:05 PM

Post #9373760

AmandaEsq wrote:Hey all. :)

Susie - I have not been on DG much, but I had been looking for the robin thread. Don't know how I missed it.

Stephanie/Minni said that spot #23 is open so maybe you could squeeze me in?

Sorry I've been such a lousy sport the past several months. I mean well. ;)

Hope to hear from you soon.

xox
A.

Susie ~ I have been ill and I am just out of the hospital. I may have to go back in, but I sure hope not. If you want, Amanda can take my place. I cannot participate this time. Maybe the second go around...maybe. I am just not sure now. I have not even planted my bulbs that were supposed to go in fall. Thanks for saving my place though. Anyone who wishes to send me prayers, they are certainly welcome to do so, and they will be appreciated. Thanks!

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9373865

evelyn, of course we are praying for you! And sending warm hugs! Take care of yourself and keep in touch.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
6:04 AM

Post #9373905

GM all as ya know i've been under the weather here also sorry but i might be on the mend. ok I Have got to get caught up
amanda I Will be Happy to add you to the second time around It would be best rather then send the Robin all the way back across the US Then back again & Its not fair to others For the extra postage .

So we are Going to stay with the Flight plan at this point also If you see the robin is getting close & You are going to be gone for a few days PLEASE Let me know I'm Guessing but I THINK The robin should LAND In IOWA By FEB 18th & HOME BY Mar 13Th
But then My Prediction dose not count :)))

well Its back to bed & staying away from everyone around here :)
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9374043

Wow, DJ, your guess is only 2 days away from mine! I'm glad you're feeling better, it's lousy to be sick.

If you're starting the list for second time around, please sign me up-- in NY, not NH. Thanks!

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9374234

Anxiously awaiting robin think it will come today. I heard I am supposed to get another envelope of seeds so doesn't make sense to chase it around the country - had hoped to get it back out tomorrow but may be Saturday so I will let you all know .
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9374478

I am busy packing up all the seeds i want to put in the robin to share. (somehow you would think i would have this done by now)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9374624

WWKathy - You wouldn't happen to have some centaurea machrocephala seeds? I was just looking at the page for them and saw your post.
Unfortunately you get the robin after me. So unless it's coming around again . . . hint, hint.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9374716

Domehomedee- i have a few of the yellow hardhead seeds, be happy to send them on to you.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9374813

Oh thank-you. I have a friend who is into flower arranging and gardening.
I'd love to get some of these going for both her and myself. Especially since they are drought tolerant we can grow them on the outskirts of our gardens.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 4, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9374900

Is anyone starting seeds indoors yet???? And if so, what types of things??? Flowers, veggies???? Debating on whether I want to get things going now or wait awhile--or even wait till last frost and plant directly outside???? Decisions, decisions--!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9374952

GM : On the mend but still Not caught up all the way .
Shirley : I Will be waiting till about Mid march when I Will be planting Many of my Seeds .

also wanted to ask about Bull Thistle (Cirsium vulgare) is this what you was looking for DEE ? I think there is blue & A Yellow one also
but in our area they are KNOWN as Very INVASSIVE & you might want to rethink them unless you are in the country .

well i have to get my wash done & Get back into being myself ya all have a great day will check back in later today .

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9374956

sbish, it depends on what I am growing. Some plants will not tolerate being started too early and held in small containers for months. Others need an early start to get good plants by summer.
I've started a few things that need a long period of development. Tuberous Begonias and Pelargoniums are sown and under lights indoors. In a week or two I will start Eustoma and some Digitalis that will bloom the first year from seed started early.
I'm back to work on Monday so I am going to do some wintersowing this weekend, only perennials that won't bloom the first year from seed. It's a great way to start those without using greenhouse or window space I want for annuals, tropicals and tender perennials.
The bulk of my sowing takes place in the greenhouse starting in February for tomatoes and peppers and going into mid March for things that just need 3-4 weeks to develop to planting size like Gossypium species and Ipomoea.
I love this time of year-planning the plantings and choosing what to sow helps extend these short dark days.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2013
6:22 AM

Post #9375004

I am planning :) This will be my first year for starting seed indoors and possibly some winter sown. I have nothing ready for that, so I dont know. I will be ordering my seeds (veggie) this weekend and am planning my 10x10 raised bed now. :) Excited!!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9375270

I'm doing mostly flowers and unusual plants. I had a bunch of echium wildpretti germinate, and I've been transplanting Texas star hibiscus and Tweedia (blue butterfly weed) seedlings. I have several different kinds of butterfly weed and salvia going already. I'm going to sow some new annuals this year but I'm waiting until the end of the month to put the seeds out. I'm going to try morning glories again this year, got a late start last year and didn't get many flowers.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9375787

Dome...hi. Yes, I can send but also might want to consider these too...Pix 1 is Centaurea phygria (which I origionaly bought at T&M Seed more than 15 years ago). Pix 2 is Centaurea and am thinking is also a phygria (I got the seed from the Denver botanic Gardens (borrowed, lol). Both are 36-48" and all summer bloomers, the flowers are smaller than machrocephala, but still about 2-21/2". So far I have had light reseeding on the purple, but have not seen any on the yellow. The 3rd pix is Centaurea machrocephala (36-48") with Veronica spicata Sight Seeing Blue at 28" (want some seed for that too?). The flowers on the C. m. are about 3+".

The reason you state is exactly the reason I love the tall ones!!! Anything else I can send let me know.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9375821

Sbish..I've already started about 60 different pots of perennials so far and have 19 that have germinated. Had to get some supplies today and will be working on more seeding tomorrow... So far I've only started perennials, see my babies!!!! Up already: Dianthus x Loveliness ( white, dark rose, pink, Fringed Pink), Tomato Chocolate Cherry, Campanula persicifolia (blue), Oenothara pallida Innocence, Delphinium grandiflora, Antirrhinum (snaps): tall rose,tall red, Black Prince and Royal Bride( this one is suppose to be fragrant), Anthemis tinctoria, Valariana officinalis (mama plant came from me but was given to a friend and grew to 7ft, mine only get to 3-4ft and thought I might try hers, lol), Digitalis purpurea Alba, Digitalis p. Primrose Carousel, Papaver Orientalis Marlene (am excited to see this one..oooohhhhh yum), Lavatera Silver Cup (not sure if it's an A or P, thought these were p so started), Salvia greggiiFurman's Red.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9375876

WWK - Those are the kind of plants that I need for the outskirts of my garden. I don't think the deer would bother them and they are so colorful. The veronica looks nice too. I need to take a photo of my hoop house to show you guys. I've had more fun having a greenhouse, it' my 2nd Fall. I did quite a bit of sowing last year and have some nice full grown plants from my efforts.
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

January 5, 2013
4:09 AM

Post #9375937

is there a second time around? would like to be in if there is ,thank you think spring! susan
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 5, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9375956

Good morning to all! Well , sounds like there is a mixed bag of answers out there as to who is starting seeds now and what is being started depending on where your location is(of course)!! Thank you everyone for your replies!!

Susie--being we are pretty much in the same area, do you start your seeds right outside at that time or inside???

WWK--Your pics of your "little ones" got me going(ha, ha) and I did 4 pots of columbine yesterday !! Absolutely LOVE both of your centaurea!!! I would love to have a bit of each to try if you have "extras" you could possibly set aside for me in the robin box when you get it(I am after you)!!

Who has any ideas/opinions as to whether or not I should try to start canna seeds indoors right now???? Do they transplant well??? or should I just wait and plant them directly outside after last frost????

Also, what about Day Lily seeds??? Indoors now or wait and sow directly outside after last frost???

Well , need to go get laundry started before I'm off to pick up our son from work, so be back later looking for any & all responses!!! Shirley

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9375960

Wow what a robin - came on Thursday and Paula's package of Alana's seeds came yesterday. I'm working today 7-4 if I can't make it to the P.O. on my lunch it will go out on Monday sorry for the delay. Hate to give it to the mail lady because she works so late it would never make it off the ground if I gave it to her today.

Enjoy all!

Sue G

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9376031

GM All Gee lots to get Caught up on Where to start Hope I Don't miss anyone Here goes

QUESTION : Kathy On those Centaurea phygria Are they a Monding Plant or root runner ? Should they be started inside or out .
as to the seeds starting in those size pots how do you get them seperated without hurting the roots ? or do you just cut them in 1/4's & plant in bigger pots ?

Shirley : I Usually wait & Just plant the seeds out side as for the Canna's I Soaked the seeds in Hot water for about 2-3 Hours Took a KNIFE
& Nicked them got a RED SOLO CUP :) Planted the seeds in the cup about 2" deep Poured Hot Water Over the Soil Just to Moisten
Then I Put A Baggie over the top put them under a Light & Let them grow within 3 wks I Had Sprouts .
As for the daylilies they will do best if you just Plant them outside this spring but it takes about 2 yrs for Blooms .

But Less time consumming less mess Just Nick them Put them in the Ground or Planter where you want them to grow & They will be fine
I still have RHIZOME Of the Lipstick red Fruity sent me seeds of about 3yrs ago :) Love the plnt :) Just takes a little more time to Bloom.

Thank you sue for Posting Just send the conf # to my dmail when its in flight .
well i have a few rocks to paint so you all have a great day . back later

Still have my Head cold chilles & Fever are gone so maybe on the mend I Hope .

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9376408

Thought I'd post these pictures of my hoop house. I built it Summer of 2011 and it cost about $500.00. Not bad considering the plastic cost $200.00. If I had it to do again I would have put in a roof vent, but the openings on the ends and two fans work good enough except in the heat of Summer when I just don't use it for much as it just gets too hot in there. It's like 20' x 12'.
1. From the outside
2. Looking in
3. The attached plant yard (fenced to keep the deer out)
4. The potting bench, a recycled table.
5. Look at all those seedlings!

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 5, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9376433

O.K. Dome---just looked at your pics and feeling a little jealous here!!! Absolutely love it and just look at all those "goodies" you've got going!!! Do I see canna in there???? I have a few canna seeds I want to try to get going! Only have the basic red flower/green leaves from last year and want to get some different ones!! So wish I had the room to do something like there--but then NOTHING else would get done because I would be "Living" in there!!!!! Enjoy !!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9376536

I do have that problem. I have to open the doors in the morning and close them at night, even in Winter, or it gets too hot. I'll go down there and end up spending hours watering, transplanting, or just moving things around to make room for more trays.
I have too many cannas so I have been trying to sell them or give them away so I don't have to repot them again. I thought if I kept them inside this winter they would look better in Spring. Anyone wanting cannas . . . I have dwarf yellow and tall red. I also have tons of Canna patens seeds, it's my favorite canna.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9376552

What are you going to do with all those seedlings, Kathy? I know you have a plant sale with your garden group there, and you have lots of room to plant, but...geez
Seems early here to even think about starting seeds, but then again you're in a colder zone and I haven't started anything yet, sorta makes me feel like a slug.
I'm waiting for February and March to start most everything under lights.

Your hoop house is awesome, Dee, and is about the size I would love to have.
What size and length PVC pipes did you use and also the mil for the plastic. Did you keep a list of materials you could share with us to build our own?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9376606

I used the basic information from this site: http://www.albertahomegardening.com/how-to-build-an-inexpensive-hoop-style-greenhouse/
I don't remember what mil plastic I finally decided on but the thicker the better. I buy most of my greenhouse supplies from Greenhouse megastore, after shopping around they were the best buy. I still buy all my potting supplies from them. If you are in an agricultural area you might be able to find some freebies. I got hundreds of germination trays for free from a local landscape nursery, they recycle them so I saved them the effort. I use them to start seeds but they are also good to set pots on to keep them off the soil. I bought plastic shelving units from Home Depot and use them as low tables to set the trays on. It was really easy to build. Me and my adult daughter put most of it up ourselves. You only need more help when it's time to put the plastic on.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
12:32 AM

Post #9376854

Hi, all.
Wow, didn't realize that it's been so long since I posted... Lots happening! And the robin's getting close :)
Susie, can you start a new thread? This one is getting quite long.
By the way, as I was reading all the posts since my last one, I saw that someone (sorry, forget who) was asking if there was going to be another round. Yes, there will be, but as I recall, Susie said she'd start a thread for sign-ups after I mail the robin. Should be getting to me shortly :)
Must get my seeds ready, too! I had really hoped to have them ready by now, but...
Very thankful that I've finally had the energy to get some things done around here. Still a lot to do, including geting some seeds started, but I'll just have to see how it goes. Had to go by the doctor's Saturday... Was worried that I was getting a sinus infection. But, he says I don't have one. Told me some things to do to keep from getting one. We'll see how it goes.
Hi, Amanda! :) Hope you can stop by the birthday club when you get a chance :) Look for the January 2013 thread in the Group Trades... forum. And anyone else who wants to join us, we'd be glad to have you join us!
Anyway, better go get some rest! Have a great weekend, everyone!
Michelle
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 6, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9376928

Domehomedee--sending you a d-mail! Thanks Shirley

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2013

Post #9377003

Here is the New chat LINK http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292967/

And here is the LINK FOR THE NEW 2ND TIME AROUND ROBIN .
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292968/

OFF TO PLAY BACK LATER HOPE THESE LINKS WORKS FOR YA IF NOT LET ME KNOW .
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9377004

DHD - JEALOUS!!! I am dreaming of some sort of greenhouse...would love to do something with old doors & windows. Hubby didnt like the idea. Though it looked "trashy". I'll show him ;) Its what I want. It's what I will do.
I am going through all my seeds now. Didnt realize I still had some to clean. BES, Globe thistle are left. Time to get my spoon out I guess.
I went through all my veggie seeds as well. Didnt realize I had so many old seeds. I will be seed bombing this spring. Either the critters will be really happy, or I will have a veggie garden I didnt plan on at the end of the drive. :) There are too many to germ test, and I am buying organic this year.

I have spring fever :( Not good in MN in January :/

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9377060

ok CLOSING THIS THREAD Ya all follow the BIRD SEEDS :)))))

Here is the New chat LINK http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292967/

And here is the LINK FOR THE NEW 2ND TIME AROUND ROBIN .
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292968/
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9377302

All this talk of spring! Minnesippi how do you make it!?
I am doing some GH cleaning today. Lots of leftover tropical cuttings that will be composted. Shutting it don for the winter because it cost too much to heat.
Winter sowing some perennials I received in the robin, hopefully they do well.
It had been awhile since I checked in , wanted to read the messages of those who have received and those who are awaiting it's arrival.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9377372

LOL - I play with seeds & house plants, do lots of baking and cleaning.
I hate the weather here...I dont know why I stay. :/
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9377653

I really love the winters here in NC. I spend more time outside now than in summer.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9385109

I'm with you Kerrie.

I know I know have got to find the new threads but had to read the old stuff first!
xox
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9394085

LoL glad to see you around Amanda.
We should get together soon.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Seed Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My seeds Holly 7 Dec 7, 2010 4:21 AM
wanted orange coneflower SEEDLADY 22 Aug 31, 2007 5:28 AM
Have: Primula Elatior, Mesembryanthemum, Cuphea Ignea babalu 9 May 3, 2010 10:57 AM
looking for mimosa tree seeds (pods) jishro 53 Jan 20, 2011 5:03 PM
Another source for SASE seeds Terry 32 Jun 7, 2011 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America