Money Matters - Part 14

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274893/

Scary. How long before it's here?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/360369/End-of-the-Doctor-s-surgery

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Geeze. Yeah I can see my 95 yr old MIL doing a SKYPE doctor call...

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

At least you won't have to sit in a waiting room for an hour with nothing to do except to read 8-year-old National Geographic magazines while you wait for your four minute visit with your doctor.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL

The cost of the items of the Christmas list from partridge in a pear tree to 10 lords a leaping went up 6%, the cheapest is the partridge at $15 and the most expensive is $1000 for the swan

I hate how Cyber Monday has gotten so commercialized!! ^_^

rofl

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Peru likes it's food the way nature made it.
http://www.whitewolfpack.com/2012/11/peru-passes-monumental-ten-year-ban-on.html

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yay for them, wish they would do that here

Sherrie In, NH(Zone 5a)

Black Friday's should be against the law. 60% off Lg 52" Flat Screen TV. People mall each other to get in and they only have say 1.

They should have to make good on all orders.

I just can't get over how people go nuts over big tvs. Its the Ultimate Prize of our modern society- a deal on a huge TV! (sigh) If you can't spend the other hundreds of dollar- then watch your crap on your regular dang TV and get over it!

(walking off, muttering...)

Wow, sounds personal, Sally. ;)

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

What I find funny is that on one hand we (and by "we" I mean society in general) are clamoring for bigger and bigger screens on everything from TVs to cell phones and yet, on the other hand, iPad Minis are "must haves" for some. Methinks that there is some psychology at work here and that people are buying things for reasons they don't quite understand.

I suppose, there is a tiny element of that..Somebody here has taken it upon Himself to do the TV buying in this house, without consulting The Other. So I must suffer in silence, (with Netflix, surround sound...OK not exactly in silence..ROFL!)

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

That made me laugh out loud.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

hahahahahaha

I think it's just a mentality about needing the latest gizmo...people are crazy, I would NEVER wait in line overnight for a gadget, or get into a fight over 1

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

we have a 46" TV here that is fine - would have gotten the 52" if it was not almost double the cost - this was back 5 years or so ago. wife wants a bigger on now (she does need glasses for seeing any distance) and bring the 46 to the bedroom and then will probably want me to set up the 32" from there somewhere else. two tv's is enough though and we will be waiting longer yet on a larger TV. At least until 3D is a more established feature, not one to jump into the latest gizmo and deal with the early releases issues.

speaking of issues - does anyone ever have HDMI handoff problems? The ONKYO receiver we have periodically losses its signal for picture and sometimes audio (3 times over two years). It takes an hour of checking connections and trouble shooting to pin point the reciever. And since there is nothing in the manual about this you have to call customer service, which is very good and 24/7. Then you have to reboot the receiver with a short series of buttons and a prayer and it back to factory pre-set. Then when you have some time go back into set-up and make sure the custom settings are correct.

that happened on Saturday night here, what a pain in the butt.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

my either - same for the high corporate tax rate we have here that forces corp's to have all the satilite headquarters around the world to avoid taxes. If it was a reasonable rate they would not bother and we would be the better for it.

Never had that problem with HDMI, Bill.

Yep, we have the highest corp tax rate and they want to raise the tax rate for small businesses too.

Read the other day that if the 'Buffet rule' were adopted, it would raise enough money in one year to pay for 17 hours of gov borrowing.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

:)

Last week Christie said storm cost was 30 billion. Today it's 37 billion (larger than the entire budget for one year) and he says he expects the Feds to come up with the entire amount. Not to be outdone, Cuomo claims 40 billion for NY. Bloomberg - 19 billion. No, they're not padding it at all. Sure.

Sherrie In, NH(Zone 5a)

I now know why I dont have to diet, do Zumba or exercise, you know, Butt Kickers.

Been awake since 12:09 AM, (Mr G Had to go) work at 6 and home at 6. I dont think I can keep going. Lost 10 lbs, dropped 2 pant sizes and pinch an inch, maybe if I am not standing straight.

I have to take some pictures for you to see what I am up against. For now its the dang BED. speechless

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I think we're going to get more infrastructure spending. My plan is to open a muni mutual fund account and start to fund it with my chump change.

So now they officially asked to eliminate the debt ceiling for good. Incredible. Let debt increase automatically without discussion. Don't dare cut 'entitlements', which are 60% of all spending. Twilight Zone time.

And US birth rate hits new low. Better indicator than any poll or election.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Quote from victorgardener :
And US birth rate hits new low. Better indicator than any poll or election.

Sure is

NJ Senate just passed higher minimum wage here....yeah, that will help small businesses...are they just trying to get us all to close our doors???

Crazy, Jen.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Whatever the minimum wage is here, no one (unemployed or not) is willing to work for $10-15 an hour, just unskilled work, for folks like me who need help around the house/yard. Even the high school boys want $20 an hour to drive MY riding mower (and gas) across the lawn.

Wow. Surprising. If I were closer I would send my kid!

Wow - very sad and yet another sign of the times. Bummer.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/20231162/nycs-famous-stage-deli-closes

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

75 years!!! how sad

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Remarkable ( isn't it ?) that people have such wildly different views of what is causing the average household's worth to decline. I'm starting to see why young people use the word "random" in almost every sentence.

Then read about the people who are heavily invested in pipelines. They are confidently planting big bucks there.

It's clear that the average individual investor has to change their strategy.

I'm investing in my own personal fitness because that's clearly important in order to keep working past the old retirement age.

So now 1/4 trillion in new stimulus is being pushed as part of the cliff negotiations. Reason? To offset the economic drag caused by higher taxes on the 'rich' would cause. A bit strange, since those pushing the tax increase say there is no such drag. More Twilight Zone.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I agree with Victor that this is nuts. In addition to the politics, you'd think by now that Keynsian thinking of the past has been shown to be a bad economic model. So where is the stimulus money going to go? I am trying to wrap my mind around where our future will be because there may be a lot of people who are hurt if we're not careful. I am especially concerned for folks on fixed incomes.

I am concerned for just about everyone. Fixed income, recent graduates, laid off workers older than 40...but especially for the future generations. I truly do believe they will be the first ones to be worse off than their parents/grandparents. Sad.

Cheapskates guide was interesting but really I don't think all that useful.
Product reviewing? You have to buy products in order to review them and hope to get on the team. Book reviews? Have to get and read them when they are new which mostly means buy them. And both those ideas and others need a computer and internet access. Travel cheap? You can't travel at all if you're really struggling.

Not picking on you Victor, but on people who write fluffy things like this. I DO like that he mentioned the library. TOns of free resources there. Don't just browse the shelf but look and ask for requesting books and media from other branches. We don't try to keep one of everything on every branch shelf. But (in my county and surely many others) happy to have it sent over free for you to pick up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images