Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

A little bird visited - what is this?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I was with my camera just relaxing, when I heard the tailorbird squeaking unusually, as it does when sunbirds' visit to the shrub also coincides with theirs. But when I saw this one, I was confused. It was not a tailorbird. It was not a sunbird. A Prinia had once visited when I was watching. But this does not look the Prinia on the earlier visit. See the colour of the legs, claws on its feet also. What could this be?

The second picture shows the tailorbird trying to drive away the new visitor. Tailorbirds seem to have 'marked their territory'.

Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

One of the larger Acrocephalus warblers. The one that's common in southern India is Clamorous Reed Warbler Acrocephalus stentoreus. A bit out of its normal habitat (papyrus beds), so I'd suspect it's a recently arrived winter visitor from a bit further north that hasn't found its preferred habitat yet (that's probably why you've not seen one before!).

Resin

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

PS BirdFiles doesn't have a pic of one yet and is crying out for one! http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/1392/

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks Resin. Will post a couple of images soon.
Yes it is, the book lists as Indian Great Reed Warbler.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.