Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: Single thread or doubled

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 28, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9342220

Being new to the quilting part of my sewing career I am not sure when you are hand quilting are you suppose to use a single thread or
double thread. DO I knot both ends or just the one. Seriously, I want to do it by the book but I am just not sure what you are suppose
to do. Just because I am 63 doesn't mean I know it all. hehehe even though I keep telling my husband that I do. heheh
So Do I just knot one end or both?

I couldn't find the first one I posted and thought I made a mistake and deleted it. Oh well, I am sure to get a response now. heheh

This message was edited Nov 25, 2012 4:05 PM

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9342249

I use a single thread when I am hand quilting. Be sure you are using quilting thread though, as it is wound tighter and is stronger than regular sewing thread.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9342289

What she (Lanakila) said!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9342394

I agree as well. The hand quilting threads are available at Joanns too. Jan - do you know how to hide your knots? I'll try to find a video for you or maybe someone who has a bit more time than I could look around.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9342434

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa6RJkG6B4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-WvF4xjQ64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVhJVKeTkwY I hope you find some of those helpful.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9342448

Pat you are so nice!! Thanks...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9342514

Awww... You all are too nice. Thank you for all the great info. I really do appreciate it.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9342619

I'm grateful to my friends who taught me to google and be able to research the answers to endless questions!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9342731

Thank you everyone. It is so much more fun when you have company that enjoys the same things.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9342809

Ya, we're all a bunch of enablers and it is fun to have like-minded people who don't think we are crazy just cuz we do crafts and love recycling materials into new products.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9342837

I think that I am close to being called a hoarder so I have got to clean out my studio. It is starting to run into the guest room and living room and a little in the kitchen and oh yes I guess there is a little bit in the laundry room.
It's great that I have such a loving husband but then he is an enabler too. Actually he is a contributor.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9342956

Hello. My name is Lanakila, and I am a crafters enabler. (Hello Lanakila!) I've been helping people balance different values of quilt fabric, determine yardage for bias, set invisible zippers, install snaps and grommets, and paint, glue, and glitter the world for more than 40 years. There...Step 1: Admit you have a problem!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9343022

AWWwww but I hear NOTHING about wanting to CHANGE it!!! This would be the WRONG place to seek that change anyhow! LOL

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9343182

Are we starting an "Enablers Anonymous"? ????
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9343185

She who dies with the most fabric wins!!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9343227

I think YOU win Jean :) butttttt we don't want any die stuffs around here...unless it is the dye kind... LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9343369

Ya, nobody here wants the cure!!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9343410

WOO HOO I CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE !!!!

Lanakila, wow, 40 years of experience. I know where to when I have a quilting question now.
I am working on quilting a wonderful piece of fabric that I didn't want to cut so I am stitching around all
the awesome birds and bows etc. My question is this. I backed it with Warm and Natural and I am
doing all this stitching. Is that considered quilting.
This is the fabric

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9343424

Quilting is actually the stitching; piecing is putting all the pieces/blocks together. And there are whole cloth quilts where the design is just the stitching. So yes, you are indeed "quilting".

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9343442

Jan, are you using ONLY the warm and natural or do you have a piece of fabric under the warm & natural batting? It is hard to tell from your statement.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9343709

psychw2, I am doing it on two layers of Warm and Natural as the whole thing is going to be lined inside. I can't say what it is just now as it is a secret till after Chirstmas. Duh?? I am sure that the person it is a secret to is going to figure it out. Heheh
Well, cool then I am quilting. I am really excited to get back to my log cabin quilt. I am piecing that right now and still working on getting it right color wise. It is a lot more difficult then I thought it was going to be. When they turn out right I am so excited but when I put the wrong color in and don't discover it till at the end I get so frustrated and I have to walk away for a little while. Here is one of my pieced blocks and here is a pic of the piece I am working on now. This is also a pic of one of my mistake blocks.
I like the fabric I am using now in the first pic for my log cabin.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9343773

I can sympathize with your pain over the wrong block!! I have a BIG error on a King size denim block quilt and I am NOT taking it out... I just don't have time!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9343805

I love your fabric choices Jan. You log cabin is going to be warm and toasty!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9343819

It's not a "mistake" but a new pattern!!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9344146

Jan that bird fabric is just gorgeous !! and every "mistake" you make is a step in the learning process...make a snack mat / mug rug with the boo boo's...will also add to quilting practice...

Lana, I just re read your post...can you come teach me zippers???? I seam to have problems every time I try!! I have learned to avoid them...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9344214

LOL, yes the new mistake pattern is called "Whoops wrong turn."
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9361737

Just curious as to what happened with the original post. Are you hand quilting this project? Do you need help with the thread starts? I'd be happy to photo a demo. There is a special way to knot embroidery/quilting threads rather than a tie off. The thread is wrapped around the needle and drawn through the loops. This is not the same as a single or double tie off as the knot lays more flat. Also, it is not enough to use thread labeled "quilting thread" as most quilting thread is for machine quilting. machine quilting thread is thinner than hand quilting thread. You should use hand quilting thread suited to your fabric i.e. 100% cotton for cotton fabrics and not cotton wrapped polyester unless hand stitching mixed fabrics.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9361865

Well, yes, I did hand quilt it. It was a Christmas Stocking that I made for a Stocking exchange. It came out fine but look forward to doing it on my large quilt.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9362490

The fabric is great looking. I like Warm and Natural too. The only complaint here is that it beards (white fuzz) when you bury the knot and come up on the first stitch. It doesn't show on white but does it ever on dark fabrics! I can't figure a way around that because if you don't bury the knots you will be seeing thread tails through lighter fabric when using dark thread.

So you did not use a backing? Guess you know you'll need that extra layer when you do a bed quilt. Find a needle you like and buy a ton of packs. You'll be using them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America