Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: pole beans/corn

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mraider3
Helena, MT

November 25, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9342651

Each year I plant four sixty foot rows of corn and I like to plant pole beans next to the corn after the corn sprouts have reached 4 to 6 inches in height. Only a fraction of the beans have sprouted each year presumably because the ground isn't quite warm enough for the beans to properly sprout. I have thought about pre-sprouting the bean seeds between wet paper towels placed inside gallon zip lock bags this next season. I also plan on using plenty of bean Inoculant when planting the bean sprouts. Any suggestions or tips on this procedure would be appreciated.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9342951

I would recommend just soaking the beans for 24 hours before planting them. If it is warm enough for your corn to grow, that should be all the jump-start that your beans will need.
mraider3
Helena, MT

November 27, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9343545

tanakila, I always soak beans before planting, and corn as well. I have used treated corn in the past which helps the seed to germinate in our cooler climate area. Beans however have always been later plantings since a warmer soil temperature is necessary for bean planting. If you try to go too soon it is doesn't work well, so I take soil temperature readings daily at 9:00 A.M.to determine if the soil is ready for direct seeding. There may be as much as a two weeks spread in the time the cool season corn seed can be planted and beans. I just don't know if pre=sprouting indoors will give me a better shot at getting the beans started.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America