Photo by Melody

Article: Poison Oak: How to Identify It, and What to Do if You've Been Exposed: Western Poison Oak

Communities > Forums > Article: Poison Oak: How to Identify It, and What to Do if You've Been Exposed
bookmark
Forum: Article: Poison Oak: How to Identify It, and What to Do if You've Been ExposedReplies: 4, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
elhewitt
Encinitas, CA

November 26, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9342820

We were very luck several years ago in San Diego County. We were able to avoid the plant when the locals pointed out the _very_ pink leaves that had just turned after several cold nights. It was _everywhere_!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9343154

It is handy to have a local person along with you to steer you away from the hazards, isn't it?

Thanks for taking a moment to comment and share your experience!

Angie

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)


September 1, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9647789

Nice article... good photos. Have acquired several doses of urushiol in the past and they were definitely not pleasant. My father was supposedly 'immune' to poison oak as he used to play in fields of it as a child and never was effected (not sure if he knew what poison oak was, though). So when shown to me once I grabbed a leaf and rubbed it on my arm to see what would happen... after days of intense itching ALL OVER (seems oils from hand got everywhere I touched myself over the next 24 hours, not just my arm) my eyes finally swelled shut and pus ran down my face (not infection, just a sterile cellulitis), I finally checked into the local health center and a single injection of a long acting steroid took care of that. Guess I am not immune.

I see dogs as a living (vet) and I still get a case now and then from dogs that have been running through fields of the stuff (they seem for the most part uneffected)... not really fair since no way of know which dogs have this oil lurking on their fur...

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9650976

Ugh, that sounds miserable! I've often wondered why humans are so much more sensitive to urushiol than other mammals.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)


September 4, 2013
11:20 PM

Post #9651048

May have something to do with our lack of a fur coat.

You cannot post until you register and login.


Other Article: Poison Oak: How to Identify It, and What to Do if You've Been Exposed Threads you might be interested in:


We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.
 

Hope for America