-
AuthorContent
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9343443

I received my first order from Steve's Leaves and already have placed my second order for the spring. Very nice plants, and most I have not seen before. I got:
Dotsy'
Guy Savard
U093
U400
'Blushing Beauty'
'Spring Fling'
Old Blue

Thumbnail by dbsmith2   Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9343555

Gorgeous! Where are they located?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9343578

Texas. I ordered from Steve's Leaves a couple of months ago - they have some selections not found elsewhere. A little high on prices but the plants are well grown.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9344266

I have to replace all of my begonias that were left at my office during the hurricane last month. Thanks for the information. Ivy.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9344964

We have Taylor's Greenhouses near Rochester, NY - the shipping is going to be cheaper, but the plants are smaller.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9345008

Both are good places to order from although Taylor's sometimes is just plain wrong on some of their IDs and will argue about it. Case in point is crassicaulis. I had it once before and it can get to be a horse. I lost it and ordered one from Taylors this summer. The one I got from them reminds me of Bayberry Lane (that I got as crassicaulis from GHW many years ago but I didn't know any better at the time). While B.L. is a big begonia and very easy to grow and propagate from stem or leaf, it is not crassicaulis. I told the owner at Taylors about this mis-ID and she assured me it is the real thing. I have not seen it develop into the "real thing" so I found it at Kartuz this weekend being offered once more and snatched the last two available. They arrived today and are the genuine thing. Another one at Taylors (going by the picture) that is wrong is Mrs. Hashimoto. Overall I've been very pleased with Taylors though - well grown, quick shipping, and free shipping if you order over $75.

dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9345065

I got Mrs. Hashimoto from Taylor's in September. I'll have to see how it grows in the spring and take a picture.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9345171

They look like decent sized healthy plants from Steves Leaves. I looked at their catalog and was pleased to see some other plants that I have been looking for for quite some time.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9345243

I bought Mrs. Hashimoto at the WPB convention and the blooms are white - not pink as depicted in the photo at Taylor's website.

I lost mine but grew some canes from seed collected from the parent - the leaves look like the parent but it has yet to bloom. Termites got into them this summer and about ate the entire stalks. Luckily I was able to save a few after I noticed the problem.

I would upload a picture of Mrs. Hashimoto if there was a selection box. Maybe later today.

Carolyn, you will like the plants from Steve's leaves. I got several that are very hard to find - paulensis, U489, Granada, Lubbergei, Guy Savard, and Challenger to name a few. Yes their prices are a bit more but the plants are in a larger container and well grown.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9345279

Mrs Hashimoto 2009 RIP

Thumbnail by hcmcdole   Thumbnail by hcmcdole   Thumbnail by hcmcdole   Thumbnail by hcmcdole   Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9345381

Gorgeous! I love the deep green of the leaves as well.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9365263

Update: These plants are doing very well in the greenhouse. I'm very pleased with their health and vigor. I'll be expanding my spring order.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America