New begonia mail order nursery

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I received my first order from Steve's Leaves and already have placed my second order for the spring. Very nice plants, and most I have not seen before. I got:
Dotsy'
Guy Savard
U093
U400
'Blushing Beauty'
'Spring Fling'
Old Blue

Thumbnail by dbsmith2 Thumbnail by dbsmith2

Gorgeous! Where are they located?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Texas. I ordered from Steve's Leaves a couple of months ago - they have some selections not found elsewhere. A little high on prices but the plants are well grown.

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

I have to replace all of my begonias that were left at my office during the hurricane last month. Thanks for the information. Ivy.

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

We have Taylor's Greenhouses near Rochester, NY - the shipping is going to be cheaper, but the plants are smaller.

Both are good places to order from although Taylor's sometimes is just plain wrong on some of their IDs and will argue about it. Case in point is crassicaulis. I had it once before and it can get to be a horse. I lost it and ordered one from Taylors this summer. The one I got from them reminds me of Bayberry Lane (that I got as crassicaulis from GHW many years ago but I didn't know any better at the time). While B.L. is a big begonia and very easy to grow and propagate from stem or leaf, it is not crassicaulis. I told the owner at Taylors about this mis-ID and she assured me it is the real thing. I have not seen it develop into the "real thing" so I found it at Kartuz this weekend being offered once more and snatched the last two available. They arrived today and are the genuine thing. Another one at Taylors (going by the picture) that is wrong is Mrs. Hashimoto. Overall I've been very pleased with Taylors though - well grown, quick shipping, and free shipping if you order over $75.

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I got Mrs. Hashimoto from Taylor's in September. I'll have to see how it grows in the spring and take a picture.

They look like decent sized healthy plants from Steves Leaves. I looked at their catalog and was pleased to see some other plants that I have been looking for for quite some time.

I bought Mrs. Hashimoto at the WPB convention and the blooms are white - not pink as depicted in the photo at Taylor's website.

I lost mine but grew some canes from seed collected from the parent - the leaves look like the parent but it has yet to bloom. Termites got into them this summer and about ate the entire stalks. Luckily I was able to save a few after I noticed the problem.

I would upload a picture of Mrs. Hashimoto if there was a selection box. Maybe later today.

Carolyn, you will like the plants from Steve's leaves. I got several that are very hard to find - paulensis, U489, Granada, Lubbergei, Guy Savard, and Challenger to name a few. Yes their prices are a bit more but the plants are in a larger container and well grown.

Mrs Hashimoto 2009 RIP

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Gorgeous! I love the deep green of the leaves as well.

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

Update: These plants are doing very well in the greenhouse. I'm very pleased with their health and vigor. I'll be expanding my spring order.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images