Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: shrubby tree suggestions

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 5, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scruffinga
Moscow, ID

November 27, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9343867

I just had to have a large pine tree removed and am looking for something (much smaller) to replace it. The space is between a large pine and cedar, but will receive sun. I live in zone 5 and need a drought tolerant plant. A great option is Cotinus coggygria, but I already have one (purple), but want to explore other options. Another perfect specimen would be an arbor vitae, because of it's size and shape, but I just don't like'em...

Any ideas?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9344765

how about a juniper, i think most junipers are low, but Rocky Mountain juniper is shrubby.
or cotoneaster. are you looking for evergreens only?

This message was edited Nov 30, 2012 3:23 PM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9346268

Do want something evergreen?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9346269

Does it receive all day sun?

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9347235

The Tree Lilacs (Syringa reticulata, Syringa pekinensis) are good choices to consider, if the size range you are looking for approximates the Cotinus coggygria that you have mentioned.

Some others:

**Acer truncatum
**Cotinus obovatus
**Quercus gambelii
**Quercus georgiana
**Quercus marilandica
**Crataegus viridis 'Winter King'

All of these perform well in drier sites, especially here in the Ohio River valley region.
scruffinga
Moscow, ID

December 14, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9357962

Evergreen would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. The sun situation is something I haven't 100% figured out yet - the space is on the north side of the house, but doesn't get house shade. The big trees to the east and west of it'll give it some shade as the sun rises and sets, but I think it'll get lots of sun for most of the day...

Tall juniper's a possibility - and now off to check the list VibV posted - thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America