Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Which species of Schinus?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 27, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9344185

I know about two species of Schinus both clicked from Sunnyvale, CA, S. molle with drooping branches and numerous leaflets, and S. terebinthifolius with stiffer branches and usually 7 thick leaflets. This tree similar to latter has 11-15 similarly thick leaflets and thicker rachis. Pl. help in ID. Clicked from Sunnyvale.

This message was edited Nov 27, 2012 7:31 PM

Thumbnail by singhg45   Thumbnail by singhg45
Click an image for an enlarged view.

vngarden
Seattle, WA

November 27, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9344206

S. terebinthifolius?

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

November 28, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9344462

I'm inclined to go with S. molle. I have never seen S. terebinthifolius with so many leaflets and the rachis of S. terebinthifolius is indeed more slender than the plant in question.
Scott

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9344512

It's not Schinus molle, that has much slenderer leaflets; compare here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Arequipa_-_Canyon_del_Colca_122_Schinus_molle_2.JPG

Do the two ever hybridise?

Resin
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9344563

I agree, definitely not S. molle. No idea if those two can hybridize or not.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 28, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9344645

I am uloading here the typical specimens of the two species from Sunnyvale
#1 S. terebinthifolius
#2 S. molle
Most books (Bailey, Japson Manual, California) mention 7 leaflets in former, Fl. Pakistan 7-11

Others report 3-15 leaflets

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/shrub/schter/all.html#Taxonomy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schinus_terebinthifolius

http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&ibra=all&card=T41

Atleast five varietes are known, Wiki differentiates two, it would help to know differences of others.

I think we can go safely with S. terebinthifolius, because another similar looking tree Pistacia chinensis with many leaflets has different leaflets and unwinged rachis.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2012 2:55 PM

Thumbnail by singhg45   Thumbnail by singhg45         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

November 29, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9345434

Well, the OP's images are certainly not S. molle. Thanks for providing a comparison image. Still the image didn't quite match up to the S. terebinthifolius that I've dealt with these many years. To many leaflets, to thick of a rachis which did not have the expected red coloration and the bloom was a bit different. A bit of research led me to find there are several different varieties of S. terebinthifolius. Unfortunately I have not come across a good botanical description of the differences in the varieties.Being as I'm in Florida and the OP is in California I surmise the plant I am familiar with and the OP's plant are different varieties. I include this quote and link.

"Schinus terebinthifolius var. raddianus is reported throughout Brazilian pepper's United States distribution [95] and an occurrence of S. terebinthifolius var. rhoifolis was reported in Texas [113]. Barkley's [12] 1944 investigation of the Schinus genus reported cultivation of S. terebinthifolius var. raddianus in Florida, S. terebinthifolius var. terebinthifolius in California and Florida, and S. terebinthifolius var. acutifolius in California. Based on genetic analysis there are 2 haplotypes in Florida that hybridize extensively [203,204]. One is more common in southeastern Florida, and the other is more common in northwestern Florida [203]. The haplotypes suggest Brazilian pepper was introduced to Florida from 2 distinct source populations [204]. An unpublished report speculates that S. terebinthifolius var. terebinthifolius and S. terebinthifolius var. raddianus may hybridize in Florida (Campbell and others 1980 cited in [93]). Given the lack of distinction between varieties in the literature and the uncertainty of their relative importance across Brazilian pepper's range, variety will not be addressed further in this review".

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/shrub/schter/all.html#BotanicalDescription
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 29, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9345555

Dear olddude
thanks for the link
In fact I had gone through this before my comments.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America