-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9344523

I am confused about this. Why are so many quilts made into squares when all beds are rectangles?
I myself, don't like the square ones and will always look for ways to make it longer or into a rectangle. I guess I'm just odd that way or maybe you can say I'm square but my quilts won't be. hehehe
Are square quilts made because thats the way they have always been done or do you do it because the pattern only works in
a square?

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9344547

Quilts that are made from squares are not made square unless they are a lap quilt (and even then some of those are rectangular). The squares are laid out in different numbers across and vertically. For example, a quilt I am doing at the moment has 8 squares across but only 6 squares up and down. Most traditional quilt patterns are for square blocks, but you can certainly find some that have diamond shapes and rectangle shapes too.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9344573

What is your preference? So many of the ones I see are almost square and I guess I am just more attracted to the
elongated ones.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9344726

I only make something a square if its a wall hanging. As lanakila said, most patterns are rectangular as they are for beds. Dont like square lap quilts or friendship shawls like I made once. They dont wrap around you right. You can either elongate it it with a few extra rows or when doing the borders.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9344742

Thanks gardenglory, I feel the same way. Even throws are long enough to cover your tootsies.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9344905

Bigger is better for me I don't want anything poking out when I'm snuggling.

BTW...no such thing as a stupid question.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9345060

heheh, thanks.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9345100

Visually I am drawn to rectangles , squares are not appealing to me. Like what was said before me, add more rows, change up the borders and TADA, not square! Even when my kids only had twin kids they wanted KING size blankets, still do, even if it's just for snuggling on sofa with. Hummmmmm... then again they are "kingsized" guys!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9345117

Too cute Pat. I love snuggling with an oversized blanket. I usually have two dogs that are either curled up behind my legs or under my armpit by my chest. My puggle does this ever since he was a baby.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9345307

The "square" quilts are usually done that way because of the overall pattern of the quilt (like a Mariners Compass or TX star). If the center of the quilt is a large square, usually the quilt will end up being square so it looks proportional.

Most quilts that are just made from a variety of blocks can end up being any size you need. So 4 blocks X 5 or 3X4 will produce a rectangular quilt.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9345407

Thanks Qwilter, I am just learning so much. I also sent away for a book called " My First Quilt Book" and I have another great book on quilting so I am learning so much.
I guess you need to sort of ease into the quilting game because if you jump in and start running with out direction you end up getting nowhere fast or so I am learning. I thought I could just jump right in and make up one of those log cabin block quilts, no problem. I found out that there is a lot more to it then just sewing pieces together. I figured I have been sewing all my life and I could just pound out one of these quilts in no time. HAH??? yea right. I suppose you could if you weren't concerned with doing it right but I was to leave a legacy of sorts in at least one of my quilts.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9345632

This along with all of you has become my quilting bible. It cost me $30 but well worth it along with My First Quilt that I just ordered from B&N used for $4 I think I am set but I will still be asking lots of questions.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9345669

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum that has a lot of good info in it.
Like any other crafty project, practice makes perfect!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9345700

I like quilts both rectangular and square. Now that this has come up I recognize my love of squares and stitching that radiates from a central theme. This brings up the current wedding quilt in progress. The quilt is composed of four 36" squares and subsequent sashing. I could design something with additional central squares to center the quilt on a bed and make it more rectangular...stretch it, if you will. I was thinking along those lines until I laid four 36" squares on my king size bed. Now I'm sure the right thing to do is to center the four main squares on the bed and add strips of squares along with sashing on the drop.

It helps to know the intended use for a quilt. A throw can be any shape but may not look right on a bed.

Many years ago I found The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=quilters+ultimate+visual+guide&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=6352380145&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8368243361794496172&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_uszbvyn5m_e a great help in discovering how to take my creative ideas to technical completion. It explains all types of quilting using simple and easy to understand visuals.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9345735

How is your gold work coming along Laurel?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9345749

Barb, I have been away from the embroidery frame as well as the quilting frame for several weeks. I'm trying to get into shape by working on those Amish style pillow shams. Hand stitching in the ditch is killer. I do have completed pieces with gold work if you are ever interested in seeing. Now that DD has announced great expectations (did I make an announcement yet?) I am seeing myself a more frequent poster on the UFO thread. :)
Laurel

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9345959

congradulations!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
3:27 AM

Post #9346006

Laurel - that is great news. At least her planning has you North in nicer weather.

Brian has the pics of Kayla inside her stocking. I need to find where he has it and post it here.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9346016

Thank you both. Can't wait to see your pictures, Jean. Maybe put Kayla on a square quilt and a rectangular one. We can vote.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9346023

So far, all the once I've made her are rectangles.

Laurel, I do have some really cute & rather "simple" baby quilt patterns I can shoot to you. But finding cute baby fabrics is my biggest challenge. One of the shops in Crofton,MD does have a very nice selection.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9346143

I'd like that, Jean. Thanks.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9346146

Laurel be sure to check this out, so far everyone I've given one to loves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwdNqMZ8Ro
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9346197

Siliolegma, that was great. TFS
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9346217

I loved it too. I put flannel on one side and cotton on the other when Ive made them in the past. I think this would work great.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9346267

I enjoyed the video and will definitely make those blankets. Thanks so much.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9346292

I've also made them bigger with Polar Fleece on one side and Flannel on the other. As long as the size difference is 10" it works.

I've also made the regular size and put two straps with Velcro on the ends. I positioned these so they fit over the handle of an infant car seat. Holdss it off the baby's face and keeps the rain, cold, wind, & sun off baby.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2012 2:25 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9346305

Our baby is going to be a late June baby if we are lucky. Maybe on my birthday. People in this family have a weird penchant for shared birthdays. Our oldest son and my dad, our youngest son and SO's dad, DD's husband and my hub.

Need to consider fabric options because the weather will be warm.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9346344

Made one in flannel for grandsons daughter born late July in TN. They have used it from the get-go and are still using it daily. That's why the handles are nice, it keeps it up off the baby yet keeps out the sun and wind too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America