Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: Help identifying this plant?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 19, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kamjong
Lancaster, PA

November 28, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9344654

It grows outside of my house and I have no idea what it is ?

Thumbnail by kamjong
Click the image for an enlarged view.

singhg45
Delhi
India

November 28, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9344669

Nerium oleander
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9344697

Where/when was this picture taken? If it's in PA it's unlikely to be oleander, which would not survive a hard freeze.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 28, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9344799

Perhaps if my search was accurate

http://local.garden.org/Oleander_Lancaster_PA-r1216464-Lancaster_PA.html

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9344806

Doesn't look like Nerium oleander to me. The green main stem suggests it is a herbaceous plant.

Resin

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9344811

It seems that there are varieties of Nerium that are root hardy to zone 5 with protection. Calypso, Hardy red, Hardy white and Hardy pink were all touted as such. Perhaps the wall the plant is growing against affords that protection.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9344887

Doesn't quite look right for oleander to me either--any chance of getting a larger picture and maybe some closeups?
lroot
Hollywood, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9345031

Looks like it could be goldenrod, Salidago canadensis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1154/
but not yet in bloom. Very common in PA.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 28, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9345151

Please note woody base, several branches and whorled leaves seen on many branches. Sunnyvale where I live presently has Nerium oleander almost everywhere and it is hard to mistake any thing else for it.
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

November 30, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9346358

I side with the Solidago family. A picture of it nearer to blooming would help. All kinds of Goldenrods are very common here and grow in the most unlikely places - such as roof cornices of buildings and cracks in walls.

According to http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Solidago there are 15 types in PA:

Solidago bicolor White goldenrod
Solidago canadensis Canada goldenrod
Solidago flexicaulis Zigzag goldenrod...
Solidago gigantea Giant goldenrod
Solidago hispida Hairy goldenrod
Solidago juncea Early goldenrod
Solidago puberula Downy goldenrod
Solidago roanensis Roan Mountain goldenrod
Solidago rupestris Rock goldenrod
Solidago sempervirens Seaside goldenrod
Solidago simplex Mt. Albert goldenrod...
Solidago speciosa Showy goldenrod
Solidago squarrosa Stout goldenrod
Solidago uliginosa Bog goldenrod
Solidago ulmifolia Elmleaf goldenrod

According to this US Forest Service site, http://hort.ufl.edu/database/documents/pdf/tree_fact_sheets/nerolea.pdf
Nerium oleander doesn't survive anywhere near Pennsylvania - its hardiness zones are given as 9 through 11.

singhg45
Delhi
India

November 30, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9346511

Please have a look at second prominent branch (and many others if you look closely) from left, three leaves from a node can be easily seen. Even if shrubby habit can't be recognised by many from the above photograph, I wonder Solidago, a genus with alternate leaves, would have any member with whorled leaves (for that matter, Compositae which although being largest family of angiosperms, has only a few members with opposite leaves (not to say in whorls of 3) that can be counted on fingers.
I still go with Nerium oleander.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9346556

Lancaster PA is USDA zone 6a (winter lows -10F to -5F = about -23C to -20C). The "hardy" cultivars of oleander barely survive locally here in zone 7b (winter lows 5F to 10F = about -15C to -12C). In mild winters they get lots of foliage burn and in cold winters they can be killed almost down to the roots. Also, as Resin noted, the base of the plant is green which indicates something herbaceous. So, I don't know what it is, but it's quite unlikely to be oleander unless is a young plant that was recently planted.

The posted picture is too small and too low-resolution to positively ID the plant. We don't know where/when the picture was taken or the size of the plant. There has been no follow-up from the original poster kamjong and unless the OP gives us some more info this one is going to be unsolved.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 30, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9346665

I am not very familiar with USA, except California where II am on a short visit, but I had given a link in my second post. I repeat it.

http://local.garden.org/Oleander_Lancaster_PA-r1216464-Lancaster_PA.html

I am adding more

http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/toolbox/lib/toolbox/noxiousplants/noxiousgoat.pdf

If this is some other place please let me know.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9346852

I don't see anywhere on either of those sites where it says that oleander is hardy in PA? Note that the first site you linked to has a very similar page for tropical hibiscus in Lancaster, PA and I think you'd agree that there's no way those would survive winters there. http://local.garden.org/Hibiscus_Lancaster_PA-r1216504-Lancaster_PA.html So I think that site is just a collection of articles that they probably make available for a number of different cities without regard for whether the plant is actually hardy there or not.

The reputable sources I've run across for the hardier oleander varieties (hardy yellow, hardy pink, etc) typically list them as hardy to zone 7b...I could see that maybe if it was a mild winter and they were in a very protected location they could survive a winter somewhere a little bit colder, but I still think it's unlikely that they would be reliably hardy in PA.

It would be nice if the original poster would come back and give us some additional info/pictures, otherwise I think everyone can argue on and on but there's no way to be certain what that plant is. The picture of the house looks like it has stucco walls which I've seen a lot more of in warm climates (CA) vs the colder climates I used to live in (OH & IN) so I wonder if the house is somewhere other than PA--if it's in a warmer climate then oleander becomes a much more likely possibility. I know kamjong says the plant is at his/her house which would suggest it's in PA, but I've seen other cases where people don't have their correct location in their profile so it would be good to confirm.
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

December 1, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9346855

oleander doesn't grow in Pennsylvania.
perennialyyours
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9347238

In the bottom right hand corner there are two hose spigots. I think that is a pretty tall plant. How unfortunate that the poster has not returned to give us more insight.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2012 8:40 PM
singhg45
Delhi
India

December 1, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9347296

I would be most happy to know the true identity of this plant after several members wrote that oleander can't grow in Lancaster, PA, because write now can't think of any thing else. Hope the original poster comes to our rescue with more close up images especially leaf insertion and shape, and flowers to nail it.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9347669

It is not uncommon for folks to post images of plants from places other than they list as their home/location.

In this instance, kamjong likely posted this plant image from some other benign growing zone - possibly a second home in Florida or California, but not Lancaster PA unless this was just growing there for one summer season.

My parents grew Oleander in a big container for many years, but it was always taken inside for winter months - or it would've been toast.
singhg45
Delhi
India

December 2, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9347731

That is why I suggest forums to make mandatory the place of photograph. It greatly reduces the job of experts. It also helps in data entry. I have lived in both temperate (Kashmir) and tropical (Delhi) places for longer times to appreciate differences in plants of two climatic regions Perhaps this is a test case that should make the owners of this website to declare place as mandatory. May be a mandatory window for place in upload form should solve this problem. It is much more beneficial for data inventory on any website.
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

December 10, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9354812

Unfortunately, sometimes people just pop in and never return. Sometimes they do come back, and that's nice. Maybe kamjong will come back some day.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America