Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Can i use the plastic containers to repot the plants

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 18, Views: 133
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SunShineGlo
Irving, TX

November 28, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9344688

I live in dallas , Texas zone 8a

I just got Thuja and Pencil Holly , bare root. 18" talll

Is it okay if i plant them in the left over, plastic containers,that i got from nursery, when i purchased my other plants, I got the Organic potting Mix.

Atleast for next,3-4 months...i would like to keep them in porch, to protect them from snow..

How long will they last in these plastic containers...Forever ? or transfer them in better pots in spring.

Pictures are posted
SunShineGlo
Irving, TX

November 28, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9344693

Can I use the plastic containers...inside these beautiful new pots for indoor plants...these pots don't have holes ...will the rubber plant and corn plant survive in these plastic containers

Thumbnail by SunShineGlo   Thumbnail by SunShineGlo   Thumbnail by SunShineGlo   Thumbnail by SunShineGlo   Thumbnail by SunShineGlo
Click an image for an enlarged view.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9344755

i reuse the plastic containers. they work fine, just flimsy and ugly haha

keeping the bare root shrubs in the containers sounds like a good idea to me. i don't know if them being bare root will make it risky though. but it will be great if you can move them out of bad weather until spring.

and with the indoor plants, i think using the containers in pots is a good idea too. just remember you might have to empty the decorative pots if they fill with water.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9344840

I save and re-use all nursery pots. Some I use when potting up seedlings as they need more room, some I use inside more decorative pots if I want to be able to move things around during the season as they go in and out of bloom, some I use the way you want to, to 'park' new plants until time to put them in the ground. They last until they fall apart; that's when I move the plants to something else. Usually they don't break until i diisturb them by removing whatever is in them. Hope this helps,

Pam
Sensiblelynne

(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9345412

There is no reason not to re-use the plastic pots, they will last until the plant outgrows them, not great looking so you can always sink them into something more decorative later. You should however always wash them thoroughly with soap and even a rinse of 10% bleach solution goes a long way to kill any harmful pests or disease they might be carrying.
SunShineGlo
Irving, TX

November 30, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9346141

coastalzonepush wrote:i reuse the plastic containers. they work fine, just flimsy and ugly haha

keeping the bare root shrubs in the containers sounds like a good idea to me. i don't know if them being bare root will make it risky though. but it will be great if you can move them out of bad weather until spring.

and with the indoor plants, i think using the containers in pots is a good idea too. just remember you might have to empty the decorative pots if they fill with water.

Thank.u so much for your quik reply...oh yeh, thats a good point u mentioned about emptying the pots, when water fills.

SunShineGlo
Irving, TX

November 30, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9346145

Pfg wrote:I save and re-use all nursery pots. Some I use when potting up seedlings as they need more room, some I use inside more decorative pots if I want to be able to move things around during the season as they go in and out of bloom, some I use the way you want to, to 'park' new plants until time to put them in the ground. They last until they fall apart; that's when I move the plants to something else. Usually they don't break until i diisturb them by removing whatever is in them. Hope this helps,

Pam

Thanks for your reply.its such a good idea...hence forth i will use the nursery pots to plant the new plants, till they are ready to be planted in the ground
SunShineGlo
Irving, TX

November 30, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9346147

Sensiblelynne wrote:There is no reason not to re-use the plastic pots, they will last until the plant outgrows them, not great looking so you can always sink them into something more decorative later. You should however always wash them thoroughly with soap and even a rinse of 10% bleach solution goes a long way to kill any harmful pests or disease they might be carrying.

Thank.u so much, for ur reply.

Its such a good point to wash them with soap and bleach...i could never think about it.

That helps a lot. Rinse was not enough !!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9346152

I run the smaller pots through the dishwasher after rinsing them well. You can also "pretty" them up with spray paint...which does lengthen their "lifespan" a bit. And for some of the really large ones I have collected (20 gal size and above) I wrap them in peeled reed fencing cut to size. It is fairly inexpensive and looks nice and lasts for quite some time.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=19317848&findingMethod=rr

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9346181

Jean, you're a genius! Thanks for the tip on the fencing. I will use that one next year for my bigger plastic pots.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9346194

(modest bow) Thanks Kwanjin...grin For $24 bux you get a sheet 6ft by 16 feet...one fancy 20-30 gallon container can run upwards of $75. Plus, you can use clear polyurethane spray to help seal the reed and extend the life...or paint or stain to fit your decor...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9346196

Absolutely! I have an Asian theme in the back and that will fit well.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9346203

Too Cool.Glad ya can use the idea.
SunShineGlo
Irving, TX

December 1, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9346862

themoonhowl wrote:I run the smaller pots through the dishwasher after rinsing them well. You can also "pretty" them up with spray paint...which does lengthen their "lifespan" a bit. And for some of the really large ones I have collected (20 gal size and above) I wrap them in peeled reed fencing cut to size. It is fairly inexpensive and looks nice and lasts for quite some time.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=19317848&findingMethod=rr[/quote]

I never thought about washing the planters in dishwasher...

I already used 2 planters,and washed them thouroughly with the garden hose thoroughly.. They looked very clean from inside out.

I guess its not enough!

I will definately wash remaining with soap water.

You guys are genius.

I wish wash the

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9346880

SunShineGlo, it is more about the spread of disease than removing dirt. There are tons of plant pathogens out there and nursery pots get exposed to a lot of possibilities for contamination.

When I have a lot of nursery pots to clean, I use my garden cart. After rinsing the visible dirt off, I add water and bleach (10% solution) and let the pots soak in the sun for an hour or so...anything beyond that and most of the chlorine will have broken down. Remove the pots, rinse well and they are ready to go. To avoid bleach burn, I let the cart sit overnight and then use the water to wash the drive way, adding a little extra with the hose...
SunShineGlo
Irving, TX

December 1, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9347227

themoonhowl wrote:SunShineGlo, it is more about the spread of disease than removing dirt. There are tons of plant pathogens out there and nursery pots get exposed to a lot of possibilities for contamination.

When I have a lot of nursery pots to clean, I use my garden cart. After rinsing the visible dirt off, I add water and bleach (10% solution) and let the pots soak in the sun for an hour or so...anything beyond that and most of the chlorine will have broken down. Remove the pots, rinse well and they are ready to go. To avoid bleach burn, I let the cart sit overnight and then use the water to wash the drive way, adding a little extra with the hose...

Thanks for your tip... I washed all the pots with bleach water soap.

Would let them dry . And plant tomorrow.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9347554

That will work.
roborthudson
Perth
Australia

December 6, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9351086

Don't forget to add organic manure to the soil, as it boosts soil fertility, and when to want to put back your plants into garden don't forget to mix your soil with coco peat coir/bricks, it helps to hold water and has a greater water holding capacity.
SunShineGlo
Irving, TX

December 12, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9356288

roborthudson wrote:Don't forget to add organic manure to the soil, as it boosts soil fertility, and when to want to put back your plants into garden don't forget to mix your soil with coco peat coir/bricks, it helps to hold water and has a greater water holding capacity.

Wow ! Thats great . I noted down, and do exactly ,...thanks, appreciate it

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America