Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: does this look to you like single confederate rose?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 19, Views: 194
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9345028

It has two shape of foliage: heart shape and maple leaf shape (?). It produced one white bloom that did not turn pink, like I've seen confederate roses do. It was supposed to be a fancy schmanzy yellow species hibiscus so I'm not thrilled if it turns out to be confederate rose. First two pics are foliage, then one bloom and last buds, which aren't opening b/c we've had a sudden cold front.

Thumbnail by vossner   Thumbnail by vossner   Thumbnail by vossner   Thumbnail by vossner
Click an image for an enlarged view.

vngarden
Seattle, WA

November 28, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9345076

All images come from the same plant?
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9345127

Not sure what it is, but it's not Hibiscus mutabilis as the foliage is quite cordate. Definitely something in the Malvaceae family... if not Hibiscus then perhaps a related genus?
spoonlegs
Cottage Grove, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9345134

Try Hibiscus tiliaceus.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9345176

Ditto to a Hibiscus, definitely not a rose.

Resin
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9345281

1). Yes, pics r from same plant
2). Don't think tillaceous, flowers not the same
3) sorry Resin, definitely not in rosaceae family it's just cka "confederate rose" in my area. Shame on me for not using botanical name
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9345284

Confederate rose = hibiscus mutabilis
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9345287

4) yes Tom, most leaves are Def. Heart shape or cordate but a few had "points". Don't know if variation is material for ID purposes but I posted pics of 2 shapes anyway.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9345332

My confederate rose doesn't have fuzzy leaves - they are shiny - maybe this is something else.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 29, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9345378

It does not look like Hibiscus mutabilis on any counts. I have never seen leaves without lobes in this species, but even if we ignore that (or presuming that condition occurs), nearly entire margin is unusual. The most dissuading is the last photograph is nearly free epicalyx of which I am not able to count more than 3-4, much broader (in H. mutabilis there are 8 nearly filiform epicalyx...and epicalyx is one thing we can't ignore in Malvaceae)...Perhaps the search is on.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9345436

My trees have leaves shaped JUST LIKE a Maple tree and clusters of 6 blooms/buds on the same branch.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9345466

you guys teach me so much! after reading this, I went out to look at the plant and singh is right: only 4 epicalyx. also, foliage is definitely velvety. Yep, search is on. Y'all cross your fingers that my multiple buds open. some have already started to shrivel, sniff...

This message was edited Nov 29, 2012 1:32 PM
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9345476

If this plant is new this year, I wouldn't rule out Hibiscus tiliaceus. The flower could just be lacking the correct pigment from stress, PH conflict, temperature, something else. Can you ask whoever told you it was a fancy yellow one for the botanical name?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9345483

I went back to my journals and this is what it's supposed to be: h. columnaris.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/209645/

I posted a pic of the leaf and you can see that others posted similar looking leaves. Then, 4 years later, the foliage has become more heart shaped. And, my first flower ever, is not yellow but white. Yes, we had the hellacious drought of 2011, yes, 2012 was better, but still on the dry side. Could stress make such a diff?

On a totally unrelated subject, I have a var. plumeria, Unyamanee, whose variegation pattern has changed dramatically from the first year to 4-5 years later. Maybe it is the same with this malvaceae. what do you think?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9345522

It seems you might have this one:

Hibiscus aculeatus | Comfortroot, Pineland Hibiscus, Pinelands Mallow, Rough Rosemallow, Sharp Rosemallow

This U.S. native perennial Hibiscus is one of the lesser known of our native mallows. It is covered with short stiff, white hairs and grows to about 2m high. The leaves are palmately lobed in 3-5 irregularly toothed segments. Bears large flowers, 10cm or more across from June to September. Flowers change in color from cream to yellow, and finally fade to pink. The 5 petals are marked with a purple or crimson spot at the base. Seed capsules are less than 3cm long and resemble small Okra pods.

The roots contain mucilage and have been used medicinally as a soothing agent, hence the common name Comfortroot. Its latin name aculeatus means 'prickly' in reference to the sandpaper-like feel of the stems and leaves. Found naturally in sandy soil; bogs, moist pinelands, savannas, ditches and coastal plains from Florida to Louisiana, north to North Carolina.

Take a look at this link and see images:

http://hibiscus-malvaceae.blogspot.com/

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9345572

Maybe give this one a look...it is in the Venusti group along with H mutabilis and has leaves similar to H columnaris

http://hibiscus-malvaceae.blogspot.com/2010/08/hibiscus-makinoi.html
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 29, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9345601

For once I also thought our search is over, but unfortunately not:

H. columnaris a highly protected species has long staminal column, similar to china rose, sterile in the lower part.

H. aculeatus is too different to compare, belonging to a group of herbacaeous plants with forked epicalyx.

H. makinoi appeared close, but it also has many epicalyx, subulate to narrowly lanceolate:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18percentsgray/8121709405/

http://hibiscus-malvaceae.blogspot.com/2010/08/hibiscus-makinoi.html

http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/pubs-online/pdf/op100.pdf

Perhaps the search for this notable plant is still on.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2012 3:24 PM
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 29, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9345605

Dear vossner, if your plant is approachable and there are some opened flowers, please do take a photograph of lower side of the flower. It may help in further search

This message was edited Nov 29, 2012 3:54 PM
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9346211

more pics.
1) entire plant, 3 puny branches which I've marked w/ red X. It is not in full, brutal TX sun, don't know if that is a reasosn for its pun size. OTOH, it started as a 1 ft plant, so it's grown quite a bit. In my garden it dies to the ground (mostly).

2) bud closeup

3) 2nd flower ever. I think I can positively eliminate that it is h. columnaris, as these flowers ain't yellow. I notice in this second flower, a little bid of red in the center.

thanks, all.

Thumbnail by vossner   Thumbnail by vossner   Thumbnail by vossner      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9346214

Kay, h. aculeatus looks like a good possibility.. I would love for it to be h. tillaceus, as it is a brighter yellow.

again, thanks, all, you are the very best.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America