Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

The Beautiful Smooth Sumac.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

These small trees are on fire with color right now at the Wildscape.
I thought you might like to see them.

A few more pictures of Rhus glabra and a link http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=RHGL

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Love the vibrant bright color, Josephine! Thank you for sharing.

Thank you Stephanie, they do look gorgeous, I wish the color lasted longer, but it sure is a treat right now.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Love those, Jo. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Marty, we had many of them on that area but the drought killed more than half, I managed to keep those alive watering once a week, it has been very hard this year around here.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

So pretty Josephine. My little patch increased some, can't wait until that corner of the yard is solid red!!

I am glad you have some, I have two in the corner by the fountain, but they are still very small.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am believing it is the smooth sumac that is....it was one you had at RU one year I think. This picture was just as it began to turn.

Yes it is, and doing very well indeed, and it looks like you are taking very good care of it.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Where the colors were vibrant at the end of Sept is now left bare branches, but at last fall colors have made it south! They are a very cheerful sight Jo and Shiela- thank you!

Cave Creek, AZ

The are such beautiful trees and grow very fast. I remember the one my Grandfather has when I was a young kid. I wish I could buy one here were I live in Arizona but I have never seen them for sale in the Phoenix area.
Regards,
Mickey
Cave Creek,AZ

Mickey, I wish I had seed to send you but I don't, I will try to collect some seed for you this coming year.

Cave Creek, AZ

Frostweed,
That would be so kind of you!!!
Mickey

O.K. remind me about it next summer.
Josephine.

Cave Creek, AZ

Does anyone know how much cold a sumac tree can take?
Mickey
Arizona

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

As long as your ground does not freeze, it will come back each year. It is deciduous and the tops may freeze but it grows quite tall in one season, perhaps 6-10 feet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.