Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: My neglected Pond

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 9, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

November 29, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9345706

Haven't been up to doing much in the garden this fall.My GD came by yesterday with her new camera and took a couple of pictures .The fish seem happy under the ice in spite of my neglect.Joy

Thumbnail by agedgardener   Thumbnail by agedgardener
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9345710

Joy

Next year will be better for all of us ^_^.

We are starting to ice over at night, but next week we are supposed to be back into the 50's. I am looking forward to that.

Do you use a deicer in your pond?

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9347265

Joy,
Fish seem to tolerate and survive much more than we think they can. Next spring they will be there to greet you. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and happy outlook to next year.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9347617

Hi Joy. At least you can see your little guys. My pond is iced over and has a thin coat of snow so can't see a thing. I haven't even visited the pond in weeks. I look out the window to assure the deicers are functioning is all. We will all be 'around the bend' (hmmmm, maybe not a good choice of words) and headed for spring very quickly. We only have had maybe a couple of inches of snow but that will surely get upped in January and February. Stay warm.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

December 2, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9347755

The pond is open again today.I left the biological filter in but it keeps floating to the surface.Now I have to talk my son or Gson into getting it out for me.When I bend over now I often lose my balance so I dare not do it myself.That and the kitty litter are out of bounds for me now.I think I'll go out and count the fish while it is warm.There should be seven.Merry Christmas to all my pond friends.Spring will be here before we know it...I hope Joy
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9349683

We had another warm day and the pond is wide open.I went out and found all seven of the little darlings lazing around near the surface of the water.I've been so lucky this year...had all seven survive the winter and the raccoons etc all summer.The biological filter is still in the pond but the kitty litter is cleaned!! It is such a busy time of year at our framing shop I hate to nag too much. Joy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9350000

GREAT
Glad you got to see your babies (fish) that is. Think Spring even if there is snow on the ground.
It will pass.
Take care and stay well.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

January 17, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9388578

Well when the temperature plummeted the de-icers couldn't keep even a small hole in the ice open.This happened after Christmas so I bought the third de-icer.This one was different and wasn't performing.I wanted to get out and see why but there was too much ice underfoot.My son thought I was being obsessive about it but I do have 15 years experience with the darn things.We have had our Jan. thaw and at last the de-icer is submerged and the pond is more open than I've ever seen it.DS says the fish are swimming around and all is well.The ice is still underfoot so I can't go out myself.The temps are going down to -20C tonight so I'll se how good the de-icer really is.I took a picture from my window which I'm posting...the joys of old age! Joy

Thumbnail by agedgardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9388586

Wow, Joy. -20? Please stay warm and I am keeping my fingers crossed on your deicer.

Carolyn
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9388731

That is -4F -- still pretty darn chilly. The snow part on your pond looks just like mine, but mine is (was) covered in ice. Now it is covered in ice and about 6" or so of fresh snow. Can't see the ice.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2013 7:36 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America