Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Any Ideas? stem is square, and tall and fast growing

Gladstone, MI

Any Ideas? stem is square, and tall and fast growing

Thumbnail by dillweed13 Thumbnail by dillweed13 Thumbnail by dillweed13
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Motherwort, Leonurus cardiaca?

Where did you acquire this? In the wild, purchase, greenhouse volunteer....? Could also be a Lycopus species such as L. americana, Cut-leaved Water-Hoarhound or L. virginicus, Bugleweed - both occur in your state.

Edited to note that the two Lycopus species I mentioned do not grow as tall as L. cardiaca since you mentioned "tall".

This message was edited Nov 30, 2012 12:50 AM

Delhi, India

I was also to write that but then thought perhaps leaves are narrower, less cut and few flowers in the cluster.

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

How about some kind of motherwort?
http://creamerchronicles.blogspot.com/2011/07/all-about-motherwort.html

Delhi, India

Well Lycopus fits better, l. virginicus a much better fit

http://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/species/lycopus/virginicus/

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Agree it fits well, but my reluctance to endorse it, as initially stated, is that North American Lycopus species are described as growing to 2 feet (0.6 meters) or less, which doesn't seem to fit "tall". That is why I inquired as to the history of this plant.

Delhi, India

Yes, you have a valid reason! Le us see further options.

Gladstone, MI

Quote from greenthumb99 :
Agree it fits well, but my reluctance to endorse it, as initially stated, is that North American Lycopus species are described as growing to 2 feet (0.6 meters) or less, which doesn't seem to fit "tall". That is why I inquired as to the history of this plant.

Sorry for the delay in response. I acquired the seeds from a greenhouse I work in, without knowing anything about them. So, the plant does not necessarily grow in the wild in MI (or US for that matter). I know nothing about the home range of the spp, I just started growing the seeds in a greenhouse. The plant was very small, but I thinned out the pot it was growing in and it shot up and flowered. The seeds were very small (about the size of a poppy seed). Thanks for the interest!!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Of the species proposed so far, Leonurus cardiaca is the only one whose seeds have any commercially availability to speak of, hence a likely candidate. Did the greenhouse where you worked not know what seeds they had?

Gladstone, MI

It is L. americana! Thanks erryone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.