Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Sparkling Bottle Trees: an American craft: Learned something new

Communities > Forums > Article: Sparkling Bottle Trees: an American craft
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sparkling Bottle Trees: an American craftReplies: 5, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9346270

Thanks for the wonderful article, Carrie. I have a bottle tree in one of my woodland gardens that I just put in last spring after seeing a metal one in a catalog and seeing some bottles on sticks in someones garden. I did not know this tradition was so old, nor where it came from. I learned something new today. Most of my bottles are clear glass with just a couple green and brown ones, and I think one blue. I will keep on the lookout for more colored ones to make another tree. I like the idea of the stump bottle tree using the rebar.

How's TX treating you, btw?

Karen

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9346285

TX is very ...different! So far, so good. There are differences that were predictable, more barbecue, more Republicans, fewer Haitians, fewer stoops/basements. The thing that is driving me the craziest I think is that the water is very different, it is harder and less acidic, I think. My hair never feels clean and my skin is not at all the same! Ugh.

So Karen, let's see your bottle tree! And thanks for your comment.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9346527

I know what you mean about the water. I've been to TX several times and didn't like the water at all. There were many things I liked about TX, though.

Okay, so here are some different views of my bottle tree. I guess I have not green or blue ones on there, but I did recently buy a collection of bottles from a yard sale that I will either add to this tree or will start a new tree with. There may have been some colored ones among them. I forgot now, and they're still in the box I got them in.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Click an image for an enlarged view.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9346532

Here are a couple of pics of one of the bottles with a spider in it. All the bottles were ones I had scattered in the gardens, and were dug out of an old trash pit on our property. Being in the gardens and lying on their sides, sometimes they got water inside them and would become a breeding ground for skeeters, and in the winter would break when the water turned to ice, so I figured they'd be much better off upside down on a bottle tree.

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9346559

Oh, yeah, Karen, old trash dumps/pits are great places for finding old bottles. I'm sure my grandparents threw away tons of stuff that we would pay good money for today as a "collectible." I remember those glass Noxzema pots as being very pretty. Now everything is plastic.

C.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9346562

I got several of the bottles from a local antique shop. They weren't any of the pricey ones that were there, as I didn't see spending a lot for them.

You're right, so much plastic these days.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sparkling Bottle Trees: an American craft Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Now that hard part... sallyg 5 Dec 5, 2012 12:21 PM
my tree LouC 2 Nov 30, 2012 4:41 PM
Fascinating! growin 3 Nov 30, 2012 7:22 PM
Bottle tree singing missingrosie 5 Dec 5, 2012 9:45 PM
Wow! tx_flower_child 3 Dec 5, 2012 12:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America