Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Sparkling Bottle Trees: an American craft: Bottle tree singing

Communities > Forums > Article: Sparkling Bottle Trees: an American craft
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sparkling Bottle Trees: an American craftReplies: 5, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 30, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9346585

I have heard that bottle trees in the south were hung from the trees in a fashion that allowed the wind to blow over the openings . This created sounds...howls...moans...ghostly sounds...so as not to catch the evil spirit but rather to scare them off!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9346830

Yes, are we trapping the scary spirits or scaring them off? Good point, which I didn't really illuminate. Thank you.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

December 2, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9347685

Thank you for the article and photos. I had two bottle trees cut both rotted and fell over. When a tree dies - i only cut to 7 or 8 feet and then make bottle tree...few years later after nature takes its course (aided by a good storm) and down it comes. And it rots right at the ground level which is nice. Our neighbors son welded a nice one for our shared space. I donated the weld gas and the bottles and she the rebar and her talented welding son! I ask local bars for bottles - they are happy to give. Got two reds!!!!

I find that going up a walkway a tree of all brown bottles is very striking and the availibility of so many sizes really makes for a nicely shaped and dense tree.
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

December 3, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9348389

I am intrigued by the bottle trees. Cannot decide whether or not I like them, but if they scare the destructive wildlife out of my garden, I'm all for it. Anyone know if they might keep the deer and woodchucks away with the sun shining off of them or the wind whistling through them?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9350570

I don't know--readers? Do you have experience with this aspect of gardening with bottle trees for gardengirl86? I wish I could be more helpful! Also, I can tell you that garden pests in Texas are completely (well, mostly) different!

Thanks for reading and commenting.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

December 5, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9351027

What the heck? I typed a response right after GG asked her question. Guess it didn't stick.
Bottle trees didn't help one bit with keeping critters away. We didn't "hang" in a fashion to induce the singing however. It seems that the tree tops sway on our property (wooded) but the breezes don't often make it to the ground level and so the bottles wouldn't sing anyway -- so I spike in -- not hang.

The sun glinting off may have some impact on birds -- but can't say for sure. That being said, the critters browse everything ( just about ) and what the deer don't get, the squirrels and rabbits break and eat -- and so a colorful and architectural bottle tree goes a long way toward adding beauty and hardscape/structure to the garden since rabbits and deer will not have impact. Garden art well chosen and place really helps to make up for the inability to keep the trees and plants that we can't have.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sparkling Bottle Trees: an American craft Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Now that hard part... sallyg 5 Dec 5, 2012 12:21 PM
Learned something new nutsfordaylily 5 Nov 30, 2012 6:38 PM
my tree LouC 2 Nov 30, 2012 4:41 PM
Fascinating! growin 3 Nov 30, 2012 7:22 PM
Wow! tx_flower_child 3 Dec 5, 2012 12:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America