it's December already

Belle Center, OH(Zone 5a)

So here's a new December thread

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

thanks NikB
well i have been busy in Gigi's garden with all the decorations. I also did more flowers. Played with cement ( quickcrete SP ? ) that was fun ! love it.
still looking at my apples in the cooler that need to be dried.
got my new healthy eating started.
got the new 2013 seed savers catalog ! whooo hoooo. already got idea's . this year its a kale and asian greens garden.
i may try the Butterball potato this year. i always do La Ratte fingerlings. those are still in the ground LOL sheesh.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Nik.

As we are quickly approaching the shortest day of the year, Spring won't be very far behind it...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey gang! So glad you all had a good holiday. We went back home to La for TG. I was a bit worried how it would affect me but I did OK. Had a great visit with LOTS of the family I had not seen in ages. There were well over 100 this year. Momma was really missed. The stove looked so empty without her pot of shrimp creole sitting there. I may give it a try if we get to go back next year. Poppa went to one of his great niece's house for the day. I missed him but I am glad his family is including him in their lives. He didn't cry as much when we left this time and that was a help for me. I got sick on the drive home and was down for a day or so after. I think it was a virus. I am good now.

Put the Christmas tree up this morning. It still needs tweeking a bit but it's passable. Still debating garland and I DON"T do icicles!! They are a mess to clean up. Got 2 gifts under it. One for me and 1 for DH from my inlaws. They sent them back with us and we decided to save them for Christmas even though they said we could open them whenever we wanted. We brought the boys each a gift when we went down for TG. Got a tabletop fooseball game for Radar and a tabletop ice hockey game for Knock. Ray is loving his. We played it a lot while we were there and when I called Poppa a couple nights ago, Ray and his Daddy were playing it. I'm glad he is enjoying it. Hope Knock likes his as much. I hope they get to come up for Christmas but it does not look likely.

Sue, glad to hear your FIL is doing well. Were they able to get all the cancer with the surgery? Sure hope so. Surgery was not an option for my sweet Momma. She only lived 3 1/2 months after being diagnosed. I am so thankful she had no pain. Did your jelly not set well? Maybe you could rework it.

Nik, that is humongous bird!! I cannot imagine one that big. I baked a 14lb one and could hardly manipulate it. Yours would be like a sack of feed. I'll be interested to know how many jars you end up with.

Dyson, congrats on having lights in the basement!! I have one little bulb in mine but it serves the purpose as I don't go down there much. Unfinished is a kind way of describing my cellar. It's actually just a hole dug out of the ground below the house. It has a drain for water to leave the cellar and go into the creek out front and it has gravel on part of the floor. The rest is dirt that turns to mud after a heavy rain. I have a few things stored on pallets to keep it up out of the water but it's musty down there and I lose stuff constantly because of the humidity. I need to go through what's still down there and get the good stuff out. I will have to put it in plastic bins and duct tape the lids on. Be easier just to get rid of a lot of stuff. Do you have a workshop in your basement?

Darius, how did you cook your duck? We had duck a lot back home and we just pot fried it in a heavy iron dutch oven. Was yours fat?

Porkpal, what kinda weather did you have for TG? It was beautiful in La.

Took my BC to the vet yesterday. Looks like he has testicular cancer. I was a fraid of that but the vet thinks we have caught it in time so he will neuter him this coming Friday. Please say a prayer for my faithful companion of nearly 14 years. I think the world of him and can't bear to lose him. I know he won't live forever but I really depend on him right now. I have leaned on him a lot over the years and he has never let me down.

Need to take a load of feed to the barn and bring back a couple bales of hay for Max and Firefly. The weather is nice today so I may turn the 3 amigos out for a while and work on their stalls.

I got my Baker Creek catalog yesterday and I think I am going to order a few things for the spring garden. I want to plant a lot more beans this year and try some new melons too. Small melons I can trellis. DH can't have canteloupes so I need to try a small melon that will take it's place. I grew Early Silverline this past season and it did well but we didn't care for the taste. Any ideas?

Cajun so glad you had a wonderful time with family. wow 100 !
sorry you were sick . glad your doing better.
Our neighbor found a dead 10 pt buck in his corn field the other day. Next morning .... yep head gone ! Just really is a crime against nature if you ask me.
#1 a human went on someone elses property #2. buck was not theirs to take. its like stealing jewlery off dead people IMHO. Makes me pretty mad. We think we know who did it . But since it wasn't my property i can't do nothing.
Today is 60 outside ? this can't be good ?

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Actually the basement I wired is used only for storage, The other one is my work shop and i should have wired it today - but rode instead - it was a short cold ride - The odometer on the Shadow now reads 19991.0 miles - 9 more miles and I'll hit 20K - I am thinking I will see it happen tomorrow.

Caj, sounds like you had a really good TG trip to see family. That's SO inportant!

Dyson, the weather was nice for a ride, and should be so tomorrow, too. I want to put some of those solar plastic soda bottle lights in the roof of my falling down barn... the bad half. I'm sure you've seen them, but if not... let me know and I'll post a link.

There's power in the other side of the barn in a stick-built workshop I built inside the barn, and it has lights and plenty of outlets @ 4' off the floor, which is above workbench height. It has unfinished drywall over the studs, but no exterior cladding, insulation, nor roof above the ceiling joists. If the barn falls down, it's toast.

However, it has become a junk storage room over the last 4 years, much to my dismay.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Sue, what had the dear died from?

don't know what it died from ? no one knows ?
well took a hard fall today down our back porch stairs... oh that going to leave a mark ... good thing i gained back them 15 lbs i lost 6 months ago LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Proper documentation:

Thumbnail by Dyson Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Views from Grassy Hill Mountain - looking North Westerly

Thumbnail by Dyson Thumbnail by Dyson Thumbnail by Dyson

great weather and looks like a great ride

Great views, Dyson. You have so much more flat land there than we do here.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Housing development, hope they do not build so much that we can not picnic there next spring. Care 2 all - D

uhg housing units ... sure am hoping they don't either. What a waste of a beautiful view.
moving slow today since my fall. so i m just sitting LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry about the fall ... hope you heal quickly. The view would be a perfect picnic. The rest of the world can go by. A nice ride today can not be replaced by any other until the next (which I am thinking of already).

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Mercy, woman!! You better be careful or the memorial garden will have to be enlarged. :) Hope you feel better soon.

Beautiful view. Only place we can see that far here is on a strip job.

They are stripping one of the mountains by the house here. When they set off the shots the house shakes and the windows rattle. Some people are having problems like their chimneys cracking, ect. The ceiling in our church has a crack. No problems at our house. It's so old, the movement might level it up. LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't think I would put up with that if I was me ... oh wait I am me.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

The company will have to pay for everybodies damages when they finish mining. Coal mining is a way of life here and you live with it.

good morning
Dyson you made think about picnics all day yesterday . :) can't wait to see pics of your next ride.
not as bad stiff feeling today as i thought i would. but moving slow.

i got my elephant garlic in the round the other day and then we had a heat wave. it's supposed to freeze in a couple days, and i'll get the bulbs all mulched then. i am insulating my woodshop so I can start working wood for this winter. i want to build a potters wheel, too. i have a great plan for a nice treadle powered one. i built it before for someone else, but I want one for me. There is a seam of pure clay- the jack wax variety, almost 2 feet thick about 2 feet down here. seems a shame to let it go to waste. I am having to cut and paste, or rather copy and a paste a "g" into my text and that's a pain in the fundement. My shift is startin to screw up too. I need a new 'puter box. i've had this one since 07.

Richmond, TX

I hear everyone talking about their garlic planting. Is there really that much demand for garlic?

NikB, I don't know how you keep up with all your projects; makes me tired just reading about them - but you are also an inspiration!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I planted 6 elephant garlic bulbs in 2 big pots before I went to La to see Momma. They are now falling over they are so tall. I had them in the house but they are yellow looking so i put them on the porch. I think I will mulch them and set them out in the garden but I worry about the chipmunks digging them up.

I sell it at farmers market. garlic in the store is so tiny ! and the other lady that sells garlic at farmers market hers is not much bigger then the grocery store. She has good varietys but mine is huge ! and my elephant garlic is even bigger then my fist . Yep i m bragging. LOL :)
She is irritated with me cuz i have better garlic.
i grow German Extra Hardy. big big bulbs , red skin, hot taste and great sugar content for roasting.
i was surprised at how many people want garlic.
kids had a 2 hr delay. messed up my routine so ??? i feel like i don't know what to do LOL
in the 60's today lots of fog.
will be in the mid to high 60's all week ? very frusterating ! my plants will start to grow ! LOL

I usually just plant about 6 cloves of the elephant ear arlic. Other varieties are wild here on the steadin. I know where to di them and i always make sure the scapes are in the dirt, but I don't really cultivate them. The elepnant ear started as just a fun thin about 4-5 years back. just a couple extra cloves that were left over in november. Now I plant them each year. They are the same size as the stuff I started with. Maybe next year I'll buy some of Sue's at the farmer's market and propaate hers.

i

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thinking on heating my hoop house with strings of Christmas lights wrapped around the hoops and laying on top of the beds. Any thoughts on the subject?

do they put out enouh heat to do you any ood? it's way to cold here in the winter for them to be worth the power it takes to liht them up. you'd et no more heat at niht than you would from black painted drums of water.

Richmond, TX

Some Xmas lights get hot, others don't. One year we had exceptionally cold weather near Christmas; the palm trees wrapped in lights survived, most undecorated palms died.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I use them to make my heated trays to sprout my seeds faster.

anyone else addicted to Hersheys Candy Cane kisses ??? oh my gosh. They are so good.
went to our local bulk barn and found some good pasta that is gluten free. they are getting more and more gluten free stuff. THe owner and i are talking produce for spring and summer. He wants to have a produce display but can't find anyone who does non pesticide . So we talked. I hope i can sell some of my stuff there this spring and summer.
going to the Marysville auction on the 3rd sat of this month. hope to find a few laying chickens. kick myself for selling them other ones ... duh.
we are getting goats this Dec and spring. Kids have 4 H they want to do goats. Boers mainly. hope to find some diary goats to make cheese and soap's.
rain today.

Sue, I often wonder how you keep plugging away with all that's happened in your life this past year or so.

darius i ask myself that too. but the only answer i can say is . lots of wine LOL

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

What you gonna do with the meat goats?

We took a ride today. Went to Va. Stopped at the Goodwill in Richlands. Got some good bargains. My favorite is an Ortho book called Home Gardener's Problem Solver. It was .97.

Rode on to Bluefield and had supper at Ryans. It was pretty good. Stopped at the Dollar Tree in Claypool Hill on the way home and got some stocking stuffers. They have some really nice knitted hats.

Darius, how far are you from Bluefield? It took us 1 1/2 hours to get there.

Caj, I guess I'm about the same amount of driving time from Bluefield, if I take the interstates. Much, much longer driving time but fewer miles if I take the back roads over the mountains from Hungry Mother to Tazewell. I've only been to Bluefield a couple of times, and now I don't even remember why I went.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It's really pretty over that way. Looks like prime property for horses and cattle. We saw lots of hay rolls. We were speculating on how they let the big rolls out of the balers and not have them end up at the bottom of the hills.

That's a funny image, LOL!

sue, ridgeway hatchery has golden comets that will be laying by the 1st of the year. There number is 740-499-2163. These are well raised and healthy birds, i know, I was taking care of them last week.

I didn't know they sold older hens ? cool thank you.

yeah. dean raised a batch of them this year. i don't know why. anyway, tell them i refered you. it might get you a bit of a discount. probably not, but possibly.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am excited. I have traded for some seeds I was wanting, a sweet pepper called Patio Red Marconi, an OP orange bell and Black Cherry tomato. Really looking forward to my Spring garden. Planning for it is all that gets me through the winter. I think I have SAD. I dread winter nearly all year long. I just hate everything about winter. I start getting depressed when the leaves start changing in Fall and I don't accomplish much of anything from then until Spring. I am afraid this year will be worse with DH's amputation and Momma passing.

I need to get the gigilo billy over here and breed my older doe. Going to wait until March to breed the younger doe. She will be 8 months old then and it will spread my milking out over a longer period but the kids will still be old enough to wean and sell before Winter. I'm going to use different bucks for each doe this year. That way the kids won't be related. I'll have to seperate the younger doe from the older doe for the two or three weeks that the buck is here. Don't want her to breed too early.

I was hoping it was going to be a warm, pretty day today but it doesn't look like that will happen. Haven't seen a ray of sunshine yet. I wanted to get Coffee bathed and Galloway too. He is having surgery early in the morning and I don't want the vet rushing with it because Gallow stinks. LOL There is hot water in the wash stall at the big barn but the heater isn't working for them to stand in front of and dry off. Guess Coffee will have to wait and I'll have to bath Galloway in the tub. It can be done but it sure is hard on my back.

I ordered a catalog from Eagle Nest poultry yesterday. A friend of mine uses them and has been very satisfied. I read about a Mt Healthy hatchery on the P & L forum. Guess I'll google them too.

Think I will wrap a few Christmas gifts today. We have the tree up so they can go under it. Doubt if the kids and grandsons can come up for Christmas but we wanted to be ready just in case. Guess we will have to try and make a celebration of our own. Might ride down to Gatlinburg to see the lights. We are planning to drive down for a day and maybe a night to do a bit of shopping. Nothing grand but there is a Christian Book Warehouse I want to check out.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 11:23 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.