Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Homesteading: it's December already

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 100, Views: 907
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9346631

So here's a new December thread

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9346775

thanks NikB
well i have been busy in Gigi's garden with all the decorations. I also did more flowers. Played with cement ( quickcrete SP ? ) that was fun ! love it.
still looking at my apples in the cooler that need to be dried.
got my new healthy eating started.
got the new 2013 seed savers catalog ! whooo hoooo. already got idea's . this year its a kale and asian greens garden.
i may try the Butterball potato this year. i always do La Ratte fingerlings. those are still in the ground LOL sheesh.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9346786

Thanks, Nik.

As we are quickly approaching the shortest day of the year, Spring won't be very far behind it...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9346981

Hey gang! So glad you all had a good holiday. We went back home to La for TG. I was a bit worried how it would affect me but I did OK. Had a great visit with LOTS of the family I had not seen in ages. There were well over 100 this year. Momma was really missed. The stove looked so empty without her pot of shrimp creole sitting there. I may give it a try if we get to go back next year. Poppa went to one of his great niece's house for the day. I missed him but I am glad his family is including him in their lives. He didn't cry as much when we left this time and that was a help for me. I got sick on the drive home and was down for a day or so after. I think it was a virus. I am good now.

Put the Christmas tree up this morning. It still needs tweeking a bit but it's passable. Still debating garland and I DON"T do icicles!! They are a mess to clean up. Got 2 gifts under it. One for me and 1 for DH from my inlaws. They sent them back with us and we decided to save them for Christmas even though they said we could open them whenever we wanted. We brought the boys each a gift when we went down for TG. Got a tabletop fooseball game for Radar and a tabletop ice hockey game for Knock. Ray is loving his. We played it a lot while we were there and when I called Poppa a couple nights ago, Ray and his Daddy were playing it. I'm glad he is enjoying it. Hope Knock likes his as much. I hope they get to come up for Christmas but it does not look likely.

Sue, glad to hear your FIL is doing well. Were they able to get all the cancer with the surgery? Sure hope so. Surgery was not an option for my sweet Momma. She only lived 3 1/2 months after being diagnosed. I am so thankful she had no pain. Did your jelly not set well? Maybe you could rework it.

Nik, that is humongous bird!! I cannot imagine one that big. I baked a 14lb one and could hardly manipulate it. Yours would be like a sack of feed. I'll be interested to know how many jars you end up with.

Dyson, congrats on having lights in the basement!! I have one little bulb in mine but it serves the purpose as I don't go down there much. Unfinished is a kind way of describing my cellar. It's actually just a hole dug out of the ground below the house. It has a drain for water to leave the cellar and go into the creek out front and it has gravel on part of the floor. The rest is dirt that turns to mud after a heavy rain. I have a few things stored on pallets to keep it up out of the water but it's musty down there and I lose stuff constantly because of the humidity. I need to go through what's still down there and get the good stuff out. I will have to put it in plastic bins and duct tape the lids on. Be easier just to get rid of a lot of stuff. Do you have a workshop in your basement?

Darius, how did you cook your duck? We had duck a lot back home and we just pot fried it in a heavy iron dutch oven. Was yours fat?

Porkpal, what kinda weather did you have for TG? It was beautiful in La.

Took my BC to the vet yesterday. Looks like he has testicular cancer. I was a fraid of that but the vet thinks we have caught it in time so he will neuter him this coming Friday. Please say a prayer for my faithful companion of nearly 14 years. I think the world of him and can't bear to lose him. I know he won't live forever but I really depend on him right now. I have leaned on him a lot over the years and he has never let me down.

Need to take a load of feed to the barn and bring back a couple bales of hay for Max and Firefly. The weather is nice today so I may turn the 3 amigos out for a while and work on their stalls.

I got my Baker Creek catalog yesterday and I think I am going to order a few things for the spring garden. I want to plant a lot more beans this year and try some new melons too. Small melons I can trellis. DH can't have canteloupes so I need to try a small melon that will take it's place. I grew Early Silverline this past season and it did well but we didn't care for the taste. Any ideas?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9346996

Cajun so glad you had a wonderful time with family. wow 100 !
sorry you were sick . glad your doing better.
Our neighbor found a dead 10 pt buck in his corn field the other day. Next morning ... yep head gone ! Just really is a crime against nature if you ask me.
#1 a human went on someone elses property #2. buck was not theirs to take. its like stealing jewlery off dead people IMHO. Makes me pretty mad. We think we know who did it . But since it wasn't my property i can't do nothing.
Today is 60 outside ? this can't be good ?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9347066

Actually the basement I wired is used only for storage, The other one is my work shop and i should have wired it today - but rode instead - it was a short cold ride - The odometer on the Shadow now reads 19991.0 miles - 9 more miles and I'll hit 20K - I am thinking I will see it happen tomorrow.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9347144

Caj, sounds like you had a really good TG trip to see family. That's SO inportant!

Dyson, the weather was nice for a ride, and should be so tomorrow, too. I want to put some of those solar plastic soda bottle lights in the roof of my falling down barn... the bad half. I'm sure you've seen them, but if not... let me know and I'll post a link.

There's power in the other side of the barn in a stick-built workshop I built inside the barn, and it has lights and plenty of outlets @ 4' off the floor, which is above workbench height. It has unfinished drywall over the studs, but no exterior cladding, insulation, nor roof above the ceiling joists. If the barn falls down, it's toast.

However, it has become a junk storage room over the last 4 years, much to my dismay.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9347233

Sue, what had the dear died from?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9347556

don't know what it died from ? no one knows ?
well took a hard fall today down our back porch stairs... oh that going to leave a mark ... good thing i gained back them 15 lbs i lost 6 months ago LOL
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9347671

Proper documentation:

Thumbnail by Dyson   Thumbnail by Dyson         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9347769

Views from Grassy Hill Mountain - looking North Westerly

Thumbnail by Dyson   Thumbnail by Dyson   Thumbnail by Dyson      

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9347814

great weather and looks like a great ride

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9347844

Great views, Dyson. You have so much more flat land there than we do here.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9347913

Housing development, hope they do not build so much that we can not picnic there next spring. Care 2 all - D

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9348004

uhg housing units ... sure am hoping they don't either. What a waste of a beautiful view.
moving slow today since my fall. so i m just sitting LOL
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9348009

Sorry about the fall ... hope you heal quickly. The view would be a perfect picnic. The rest of the world can go by. A nice ride today can not be replaced by any other until the next (which I am thinking of already).
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9348191

Mercy, woman!! You better be careful or the memorial garden will have to be enlarged. :) Hope you feel better soon.

Beautiful view. Only place we can see that far here is on a strip job.

They are stripping one of the mountains by the house here. When they set off the shots the house shakes and the windows rattle. Some people are having problems like their chimneys cracking, ect. The ceiling in our church has a crack. No problems at our house. It's so old, the movement might level it up. LOL
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9348207

I don't think I would put up with that if I was me ... oh wait I am me.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9348239

The company will have to pay for everybodies damages when they finish mining. Coal mining is a way of life here and you live with it.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9348410

good morning
Dyson you made think about picnics all day yesterday . :) can't wait to see pics of your next ride.
not as bad stiff feeling today as i thought i would. but moving slow.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9348481

i got my elephant garlic in the round the other day and then we had a heat wave. it's supposed to freeze in a couple days, and i'll get the bulbs all mulched then. i am insulating my woodshop so I can start working wood for this winter. i want to build a potters wheel, too. i have a great plan for a nice treadle powered one. i built it before for someone else, but I want one for me. There is a seam of pure clay- the jack wax variety, almost 2 feet thick about 2 feet down here. seems a shame to let it go to waste. I am having to cut and paste, or rather copy and a paste a "g" into my text and that's a pain in the fundement. My shift is startin to screw up too. I need a new 'puter box. i've had this one since 07.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 3, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9348490

I hear everyone talking about their garlic planting. Is there really that much demand for garlic?

NikB, I don't know how you keep up with all your projects; makes me tired just reading about them - but you are also an inspiration!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9348514

I planted 6 elephant garlic bulbs in 2 big pots before I went to La to see Momma. They are now falling over they are so tall. I had them in the house but they are yellow looking so i put them on the porch. I think I will mulch them and set them out in the garden but I worry about the chipmunks digging them up.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9348578

I sell it at farmers market. garlic in the store is so tiny ! and the other lady that sells garlic at farmers market hers is not much bigger then the grocery store. She has good varietys but mine is huge ! and my elephant garlic is even bigger then my fist . Yep i m bragging. LOL :)
She is irritated with me cuz i have better garlic.
i grow German Extra Hardy. big big bulbs , red skin, hot taste and great sugar content for roasting.
i was surprised at how many people want garlic.
kids had a 2 hr delay. messed up my routine so ??? i feel like i don't know what to do LOL
in the 60's today lots of fog.
will be in the mid to high 60's all week ? very frusterating ! my plants will start to grow ! LOL
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9348796

I usually just plant about 6 cloves of the elephant ear arlic. Other varieties are wild here on the steadin. I know where to di them and i always make sure the scapes are in the dirt, but I don't really cultivate them. The elepnant ear started as just a fun thin about 4-5 years back. just a couple extra cloves that were left over in november. Now I plant them each year. They are the same size as the stuff I started with. Maybe next year I'll buy some of Sue's at the farmer's market and propaate hers.

i
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9348807

Thinking on heating my hoop house with strings of Christmas lights wrapped around the hoops and laying on top of the beds. Any thoughts on the subject?
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9349441

do they put out enouh heat to do you any ood? it's way to cold here in the winter for them to be worth the power it takes to liht them up. you'd et no more heat at niht than you would from black painted drums of water.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 4, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9349455

Some Xmas lights get hot, others don't. One year we had exceptionally cold weather near Christmas; the palm trees wrapped in lights survived, most undecorated palms died.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9349635

I use them to make my heated trays to sprout my seeds faster.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9349795

anyone else addicted to Hersheys Candy Cane kisses ??? oh my gosh. They are so good.
went to our local bulk barn and found some good pasta that is gluten free. they are getting more and more gluten free stuff. THe owner and i are talking produce for spring and summer. He wants to have a produce display but can't find anyone who does non pesticide . So we talked. I hope i can sell some of my stuff there this spring and summer.
going to the Marysville auction on the 3rd sat of this month. hope to find a few laying chickens. kick myself for selling them other ones ... duh.
we are getting goats this Dec and spring. Kids have 4 H they want to do goats. Boers mainly. hope to find some diary goats to make cheese and soap's.
rain today.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9349802

Sue, I often wonder how you keep plugging away with all that's happened in your life this past year or so.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9349898

darius i ask myself that too. but the only answer i can say is . lots of wine LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9350134

What you gonna do with the meat goats?

We took a ride today. Went to Va. Stopped at the Goodwill in Richlands. Got some good bargains. My favorite is an Ortho book called Home Gardener's Problem Solver. It was .97.

Rode on to Bluefield and had supper at Ryans. It was pretty good. Stopped at the Dollar Tree in Claypool Hill on the way home and got some stocking stuffers. They have some really nice knitted hats.

Darius, how far are you from Bluefield? It took us 1 1/2 hours to get there.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9350258

Caj, I guess I'm about the same amount of driving time from Bluefield, if I take the interstates. Much, much longer driving time but fewer miles if I take the back roads over the mountains from Hungry Mother to Tazewell. I've only been to Bluefield a couple of times, and now I don't even remember why I went.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9350387

It's really pretty over that way. Looks like prime property for horses and cattle. We saw lots of hay rolls. We were speculating on how they let the big rolls out of the balers and not have them end up at the bottom of the hills.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9350456

That's a funny image, LOL!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9350576

sue, ridgeway hatchery has golden comets that will be laying by the 1st of the year. There number is 740-499-2163. These are well raised and healthy birds, i know, I was taking care of them last week.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9350689

I didn't know they sold older hens ? cool thank you.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9351192

yeah. dean raised a batch of them this year. i don't know why. anyway, tell them i refered you. it might get you a bit of a discount. probably not, but possibly.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9351273

I am excited. I have traded for some seeds I was wanting, a sweet pepper called Patio Red Marconi, an OP orange bell and Black Cherry tomato. Really looking forward to my Spring garden. Planning for it is all that gets me through the winter. I think I have SAD. I dread winter nearly all year long. I just hate everything about winter. I start getting depressed when the leaves start changing in Fall and I don't accomplish much of anything from then until Spring. I am afraid this year will be worse with DH's amputation and Momma passing.

I need to get the gigilo billy over here and breed my older doe. Going to wait until March to breed the younger doe. She will be 8 months old then and it will spread my milking out over a longer period but the kids will still be old enough to wean and sell before Winter. I'm going to use different bucks for each doe this year. That way the kids won't be related. I'll have to seperate the younger doe from the older doe for the two or three weeks that the buck is here. Don't want her to breed too early.

I was hoping it was going to be a warm, pretty day today but it doesn't look like that will happen. Haven't seen a ray of sunshine yet. I wanted to get Coffee bathed and Galloway too. He is having surgery early in the morning and I don't want the vet rushing with it because Gallow stinks. LOL There is hot water in the wash stall at the big barn but the heater isn't working for them to stand in front of and dry off. Guess Coffee will have to wait and I'll have to bath Galloway in the tub. It can be done but it sure is hard on my back.

I ordered a catalog from Eagle Nest poultry yesterday. A friend of mine uses them and has been very satisfied. I read about a Mt Healthy hatchery on the P & L forum. Guess I'll google them too.

Think I will wrap a few Christmas gifts today. We have the tree up so they can go under it. Doubt if the kids and grandsons can come up for Christmas but we wanted to be ready just in case. Guess we will have to try and make a celebration of our own. Might ride down to Gatlinburg to see the lights. We are planning to drive down for a day and maybe a night to do a bit of shopping. Nothing grand but there is a Christian Book Warehouse I want to check out.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 11:23 AM
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9352008

Alot of folks around here use Eagle's Nest. They're pretty good, but I thought all they had was meatbirds. They were trying to sell out a couple years. They are teachers and incubating eggs was fun. I guess it turned into too much work for them. They hatched the Vantriss strain of meatbirds.I saw their driver a couple times when I was picking up hatching eggs. Mt. healthy is either awesome or the pits depending on who you ask. There doesn't seem to be a concensus. There is also Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio. They send out a weekly email, AgForte` in Danville hatches turkeys. Ridgeway Hatchery in LA Rue ohio is a 4th generation business. They're also pretty popular around here, especially with me as that is where I work.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9352587

Thanks. I'll check them out.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9353988

Got me a catalog coming from Eagle's Nest. Looking at Meyer also. Think I have about decided on Easter Eggers and Welsummers. I'd rather have Black Copper Marans but I can't afford them. Maybe when I win the lottery. LOL
Think I might order a few broilers too. Not a pen full but just a few at a time. Don't want to overwhelm myself. I was thinking about a few of those Chantelecours (sp?) too but they are expensive. They are said to lay through the cold of winter so I was eyeing up a few of them. I'd like to have a flock of just a dozen birds. That's plenty for us.

Galloway came back from the vet in pretty good shape. Still have not spoken to the vet about the prognosis but I got my best bud home with me and I am happy about that. He seems spry when you consider the surgery he had. His incision is about 5" - 6" long so it must have been pretty extensive. He is staying inside now so I can watch him and because he can't get his incision wet for 10 days. It's raining here so outside is not an option. I don't think he minds. LOL He used to be an inside dog so he knows the drill. I am praying they got everything with the surgery.

I pulled one of my strawberry buckets (20 gallons) up on the porch yesterday before the rain set in. I cleaned the dead stuff out of it this evening and tomorrow I will rework it. I bought a big plastic pot to put in it and then a smaller plastic pot to put in that one and a smaller one yet for the top. I think I will have better luck with this setup than with the strawberry jar or the hanging pots. I have never had luck with those and I have tried them about 3 times each. I have 2 buckets to rework but I haven't bought enough pots yet. Got the other 2 on sale after summer.

Going to collect me some big sheets of cardboard and put down where I want to build my new raised rows. I wanna plant beans in them. Long rows just wise enough for 2 plants. Can't have them too wide because I can't manage to reach in far to pick them. My hoop house bed is only 2 feet wide.

Gotta get ready for church.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9354010

we are the proud owners of 3 goats. :)
two doe's that are 1 yr old
and a 8 yr old doe. she was free LOL buy two get one free deal. Actually they just wanted a good home for her. I need the company .Her name is Treasure.
the other two does are Ester and Misty.
we won't get them for a couple more weeks . we need to get our barn set up and ready for them.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9354048

Whooeee, great on the goats, Sue!

I'd like a couple, but only after I can get some ducks... which requires a shelter and fencing.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9354126

You will love the goats. They are so entertaining. Are you going to breed the two younger does soon? Have you thought of what kind of setup you would like for them? Google hay racks for goats. If you don't have one for goats they waste a LOT of hay. What breed are your goats?

Darius, what kind of ducks would you like to have? I hear the Kahki Campbells (sp?) are the best layers. I like muscovies. They are bigger for meat purposes, they are quieter because they just hiss, and they can be kept like chickens requiring much less water than other ducks.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9354136

they are boar goats. we don't have much yet just the fencing.
we will breed them next year with one of her " ennobled" bucks. They were some does that i really wanted but they were not in our price range :(
next year i may do dairy goats. I just don't have the energy for dairy at this time yet.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9354217

Mine are just pets and i could not imagine being without goats.. They are sweet as all my dogs, cats and other critters..Pretty sure I am gonna have kids soon..Enjoy..Goats are fun, dairy goats will work you silly if you try to milk...

Larkie..
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9354368

I milk a boer goat for about four years. They're supposed to be meat goats but ol' gertrude gave me not quite 2 quarts per milking. i had no enclosure for her for a long time, just a shelter. I would tie her to a pallet and let her graze the pasture or browse the fenceline to hearts content. once when I overslept I woke to her jumping up and kicking the door with her front hooves. I grabbed the bucket and walked to the milking stand and she just jumped up there. It was funny.Where did you get your girls? Did you go to K&D?

Buff orpingtons are great birds for laying in the winter. Nice quiet gentle and docile birds. Your biggest problem with them is that the hens will start setting almost as soon as they start laying.

Darius, how many of what kind of ducks do you want. I may be able to help. If you just want them for eggs then the khaki campbells are the tops, alon with the welsh harlequin. I raise Harlequins, which are a colour mutation of the khaki campbells. If neither of those please you then try runner ducks. Muscovies are good for meat, they taste alot like veal. But they're eggs taste like a glob of swamp mud served over a bed of camel droppings. they are nasty. And they fly, usually just around, not away. They are also very good setters and mothers. And they eat flies like no one's business.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9354398

we got our goats from a lady and daughter in West Liberty. Orchard Hills Farms.
we thought about waiting until spring but the woman told us. We picked the right time as her goats will be twice as much in spring . Wethers are more work but we still may do them those are only spring available. see what my kids want to do.
its nice not having so many chickens to clean and feed this winter but i know i will kick myself if i don't get some laying hens for spring . hmmm still deciding
my kids really love selling the eggs are market.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9354561

Ducks:
Well, Pekings are cleaner to pluck because the pin feathers are white and don't show if you miss some. As far as taste, that's the only duck I've tasted in years so I'd have to try 1-2 different breeds to select a meat duck I like. For eggs, I'd probably want Khaki Campbells.

Nik, I don't think I'd be able to handle more than 6- 8- or possibly 10 ducks, space-wise. Although we have 19 acres, it's ALL really steep except just around the house and the falling-down barn. I wish I could afford to fence the lower part of the hillside behind the house for a couple of goats, but every post would have to be put in by hand because it's too steep for equipment to get up there. And first, a path through the briars would have to be cleared for a fence line...

Caj, did you know that only the female ducks quack?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9354719

Yes, on the quacking. The drakes whistle. You could put in electric fence for your goats. TSC sells fiberglass posts for electric wire that you just push into the ground with your foot. That's what I use. It has worked great for me. There are two kinds. One has just 4 wire slots. I use those for my horses. If I have to use them for my goats, I just put in an extra strand and attach it to the posts with plastic wire ties. The other kind of post is plastic, has a metal spike at the bottom to stick deeper into the ground and it has more slots for wire. I use those for corner posts with the horses and I prefer to use them with the goats. Goat kids will try the bottom strands if they are not close together.

Sue, are boer goats seasonal breeders? I think I read that they were not.

Nik, that is a lot of milk. I don't get half that but I also latch the kids so I am sharing and my goats are pygmies. It's plenty enough for us. I think the Nigerian Dwarfs have the highest butter fat percentage. If I had the room I'd like to have one of those small breed cows for milking.

Larkie, how many goats do you have and what breeds?

This was some of the first cheese I made with goat milk. It was green onion and sun dried tomatoes. Mmmm!

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9354891

Cajun,
I have a Nigerian, and a Nigerian dwarf.. Only had these 2 for a couple of months..Hope babies are coming soon.. As I said they are just pets and I have always had goats.. Last year I lost my other 2, twin girls to old age.. They were 16 years old..Marigold died and Iris followed several months later.. I really think the latter grieved herself to death. Love my goats..

Larkie
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9355036

We would love to see pics of your new goats. I had 7 at one time but had a few deaths and sold a few so now I just have 2.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9355050

we won't have the goats until late in december.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9355098

Here are mine. This is Maggie (smaller), and Brie..She is an older doe and we are hoping that she is pregnant.Also the smaller is is possibly also. Sue, please post yours when you get them.. Love seeing others babies.

Larkie

Thumbnail by Larkie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9355642

They are so pretty. I love Brie's face. I don't know that I have ever seen one marked that way.

I feel so bad today. Our 28yo nephew passed away this morning from sepsis. He had a large pocket of MRSA in his shoulder that could possibly have been there since he had shoulder surgery over a year ago. He went to the hospital last night thinking he was having a reaction to chlorine but they found the infection. His organs were shutting down, temp was climbing, BP was falling. He rallied after getting fluids and dialysis but his temp was 105 and climbing. It overwhelmed his body and his heart stopped this morning. He was a big, strapping young man who was quick to smile but kept his thoughts to himself. He and my son were very close and much alike.

All this grief and stress the last 6 months is beginning to overwhelm me. I would like to curl up in a ball and die but that is not an option so I forge ahead. Frankly, I don't know how much "forging" I have left in me. I can hardly take a deep breath anymore and my head is splitting. I know this will all pass but right now, it's difficult. Please keep our family in your prayers.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9355664

Cajun. I m hear for you. I know that feeling all to well. :( I wish i had the magic words to help you through all this, but yes it will pass in time. :)
i m so sorry to hear of your nephews death. sending healing energy to you
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9356199

Cajun, you and your family have my condolences. It's never easy losing someone. Debbie lost her SIL who she had been friends with since childhood, just last week. At the same time as her funeral, I had to go to one in Lakeview for a cousin onmy side of the family. It wasn't a great time.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9356842

Thanks, Sue. I know I will get through it. It's just that I have had one bad thing after another for months now. I don't have time to shake one thing off before something else hits me. Guess I just need to toughen up and quit whining.

Nik, I am so sorry for your losses. It seems like things are so bad all over with deaths and sickness. We take prayer requests at church and pray over them in service and it seems to take longer each week as so many people are sick or there is always a death. It feels so good when somebody has a praise report about a blessing God has given or an answered prayer.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9357239

Oh Cajun, I have prayers answered everyday!!! I pray for continued health for my wife and I, and for us meeting our goals. I pray for our families health and well being and prosperity. I usually receive these things. Donna was in her 60s and Joe was nearly 70. Neither had ever taken care of themselves. Joe smoked and drank lived on donuts and sweets and regular MtDew. he had been diabetic for over 20 years and had never ever taken care of his diabetes.
When Donna was first diagnosed with cancer she went to some hex woman (she was VERY superstitious) and for close to a year you never saw her without some "conjure" as she wasted away. Finally Martie (my BIL) made her go to a real doctor, but by then it was too late. She had put her faith in the voodoo doctor and in God or real science.
I thank God everyday for my farm and gardens, and for my flocks and herds. In just a few days we will be at the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, and we are still getting almost 2 dozen eggs (from 28 hens) a day. I also get 46 ducks a week from 7 duck hens.
God blessed me with Debbie after I had pretty much decided that there wasn't anyone for me. I had already had 3 marriages fail while I was at sea. But now I have Debbie and we couldn't get along better. I am blessed by God so much that I almost take for granted that he's going to bless me. I just know that he is. All I have to do is put my faith and trust in Him.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2012
11:49 PM

Post #9357806

Nik, your testimony has given me courage to fight another day and I sure needed it tonight. Today was a hard day. DH went to wound care. The doc there was so happy with his stump's progress and told us the prosthetic man would surely make the mold today. We went to the prosthetic appointment next and he told DH it would be ANOTHER 2 weeks. It's always another 2 weeks. DH was so hoping to have his temp leg and be walking for Christmas. I have to wonder if it's not taking so long because we have no insurance.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9360057

We had a really nice time at church this morning. Had a special singing group, 2 young men were baptized and we all had lunch together after for Christmas. No service tonight. I need to feed the goats and dogs and then I can be lazy.

Galloway goes to the vet in the morning to get his stitches out. Incision looks good but I am still giving him the antibiotics.

Saints kicked butt today so it's been a good day. :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9360832

it is a difficult time for me for this holiday. have not been posting much anywhere or talking much.
just thought i would come in and wish everyone happy holidays.
we decided to log our woods . did a select cut . what a mess they leave. some of my fav tree's are gone :(
its a bitter sweet for me. anyone interested in firewood contact me :) we have plenty !
hope everyone is doing well.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9360922

I cannot imagine how hard this Christmas is for you. You are in my prayers. Will your DH be home for the holidays?

Did you log for a specific reason? I was reading about curing firewood. The article in Countryside was by a man who heated with wood and cut his own firewood. He cured his by stacking it so the air could get through it and he wrapped the entire stack with plastic wrap like cellophane. Said it cured completely in half the time of unwrapped wood that was just covered. I would have to wonder where one would get such large rolls of cellophane and how much it would cost. I see pallets of lots of different stuff held together with it.

Took Galloway to the vet today to get his stitches out. They said he is doing great and to finish his antibiotics. Such a load off my mind. He was even able to get in and out of the van by himself. I think living inside agrees with his old age. LOL

After getting his stitches removed I went into town for a couple of things. Took a box of donations to Goodwill. Bought three books while I was there. One was a birding book and one was an atlas of Ky with lots of closeup stuff. Thought the boys and I might make use of them come summer. The third was a book on how to study the Bible. I need that one. I also bought myself a new backpack/purse. The one I have been using was given to me second hand 10 years ago and it is getting threadbare. After GW, I went to the feed store and got 300# of feed. Also bought some fresh eggs. They cost $2 a dozen but he was having a Christmas special and I got 3 dozen for $5. They are very good eggs and I can't raise them for that price. But I do miss my chickens.

We are going to leave early in the morning and ride down to Gatlinburg to do a bit of shopping and see the lights. We want to go to the Christian Bookstore Warehouse. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive from here so I will feed early in the morning and we can get an early start. We will stay overnight and come home Wednesday afternoon in time to feed up and go to church. Really looking forward to it.

Nothing much else going on here. Hope everyone is doing well.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9361534

Sue, the Pimtown nursery is between the Mad River Farmers Market and West Liberty. There is a sign right on 68. Debbie and I went to my Mum's place in Fairfield Saturday and I made it a point to keep my eyes open for it.

We had Christmas this past Saturday and a good time was had by all. I missed my Da as Christmas was his favourite time of year. He would start hanging decorations right after (or sometimes right before) Halloween.

Everyone loved my SweetPotato Pies, apple braids, apple upsidedown bread, stollen and cinnamon rolls, and everyone loved Debbie's pumpkin cake rolls. We have pretty much been drafted as the desert makers from now on.

Debbie got some boot slippers, a throw, and some quilting tools. As a couple, we got set of flannel sheets. Debbie made my sister, her daughter, and her son each a nice quilt. Next year my other sister and her family gets them. I got a pair of slippers, some jammie bottoms, some new socks, and a Magic Bullet. I got Debbie some jewelry and she got me a Duck Commander t-shirt, a book about pottery (I signed up for a class on it) a set of kitchen knives, and some redneck stemware -mason jars on stems. hehehehe

Last night the local Amish folks came and sang Christmas carols outside off our deck. I made peppermint tea for them (an amish favourite) and gave them some oatmeal cookies. I knew they were coming so it took no time at all as I had the water hot already. and the cookies came out right as they got to the house.

Cajin, if anything I may have said on here has lifted your burdens even the tiniest bit, then I am blessed. I can talk about the Lord all day long. I know that as long as I love Him, and continue towards my goals, he will continue to work wonders for and through me. My goal you ask? I want to be at least as good a man as my dog thinks I am. I think that's a worthy goal.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9361652

oh ok Nik i know where it is. I just didn't know the name of it.
i didn't know Amish sang carols ? .
well i look around our woods and see lots of work and fire wood *sigh* oh well , i do got some nice new trails for my tractor to get in the woods to help get grapevines . thinking of making an arbor in Gigi's garden with grape vines and some of the branches from the tree tops.
Cajun we just needed the money. our woods needed a cleaning. This way we can get some wind flow and help control a blue fungus that is attacking our tree's. also helps me with controling grapevines.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9362746

Nik, sounds like all you guys made out like bandits. All the food sounds delish! I am a sweetaholic. It's my downfall for sure.

Sue, sounds like the logging was a win win. An arbor sounds like a great idea too. I would like to make a fence from limbs to go around my little garden.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9362859

high winds and a snow storm to hit us come this evening.
took cement blocks to secure jessica's garden. 12 blocks later and a thrown out back... oui !
austin has the stomache bug. hope i m not next :(
got inside and its pouring rain. good timing.
need to go into town for some grocery for austin's tummy. but he may just have to deal with out ? depending on weather and his stomach
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9362921

Drizzle here but not as cold as I thought is was going to be. I need to get a couple bales of hay moved. Got the trash taken up to the road this morning, had a nice talk with my youngest DGS and had my breakfast. Mmm DH is a bit depressed this morning. Please say a prayer for him. His life is not an easy one.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9362979

Hey Sue, the Amish here are NOT AT ALL like the De Graff amish. My Amish are what they call the new order Amish. Indoor toilets, they bathe, they cook with gas and have gas refridgerators. They ride bicycles and have tires on their buggies. And they sing christmas carols. No trees or lights though.

Cajin, it's too bad you aren't in this area; you'd have more sweets and baked goods than you'd know what to do with. Yesterday I made apple braids. We took them to the pool hall and shared them with everyone. They were a big hit. I make all our bread, biscuits, scones, etc. This AM we had eggs (from our ducks), Bacon,and homemade biscuits with homemade banana butter. It was serious bragging rights.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9363143

I m finding out the " old amish " and there is the " new amish" . The guys doing our woods must be new order since they both drive ? One has his own truck .
they are very nice.
sending healing thoughts to your DH Cajun.
the wind is really rolling strong . temps are dropping.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9363221

There are some Amish and some Menonite people where our friends live in south central Ky. The Amish don't drive but the Menonites do so they work a job together and ride in the Menonite's car. I can't see the difference in owning a car or riding in somebody else's. I had an Aunt who didn't believe in having a TV but she'd come over to our house and watch ours.

Nik, there was a pool hall in the last town we lived in. It was owned and ran by the DH of one of our church members. My DH loved to go play pool there. It was a dry county so there was no drinking thus no stupidity. There was no smoking so you didn't have to worry about second hand smoke. And no bad language was allowed because the owner's 2 DGDs were in and out all the time. It was a fun place to hang out. My DH is an excellent pool player. Back in his BC (before church) days, he hustled pool and made a good living at it.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2012 3:22 PM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012

Post #9364138

Dang - the 21 st is almost over and I have yet to see the first zombie?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 21, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9364181

I thought we were expecting asteroids.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9364225

We were but I still wanted zombies.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9364384

Guess the oreo was right. LOL

It snowed here all day and the wind was as cold as. Have I mentioned I hate cold weather. Had to spend most of the day in town getting errands done. Getting DH and his chair in and out in the cold wind and snow made for miserable day. But we got our errands taken care of and we enjoyed one another's company. That counts for a lot.

I have the goats shut up in the goat house tonight.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9364637

It's the 22nd and we're still here. As apocolypses go, the Mayan one was pretty wimpy. I expected to see planetoids and nukes and such but all I got was a dog with a sore foot to take care of. Let this be a lesson to you all; You can never trust the Mayas.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9365874

Since the world didn't end like it was supposed to, I'd like to wish everyone a Blessed Christmas tomorrow. Please try to remember the reason for the season.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9366183

we got our goats today
Merry holidays to everyone.

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors      

porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 24, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9366221

They're a very healthy looking bunch. Nice Christmas present!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9366237

Cool Beans, Sue... they look healthy!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2012
2:19 AM

Post #9366509

Merry Christmas all - dyson

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9366557

Merry Christmas!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2012

Post #9366993

happy holidays to everyone
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9368933

X-mas here was quite relaxing. I did drive to town to get drinking water; we had blizzard warnings and we were down to our last 5 gal jug. We have 8 that we fill every month and then we often have to get 2-3 more during the month. I also filled all of our fryer buckets. These are cheap plastic jugs that fryer oil come in. I get them from the diner up in the village of Belle Center. I bring them home and clean them out and we store flushing water in them. Also, Debbie was about out of cigarettes. She smokes about 4 a day, but if she doesn't get her 4 a day-watch out!!! I made a big pot of barley and split pea soup with kielbasa. And we basicly just hung out and waited for the storm.

How was y'all's holiday?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9368989

Quiet and Peaceful low-key Christmas here. We've had a bit of snow, and may get more this weekend, but no long power outages so far (thankfully).

I haven't been out of the house much for a week or more... sure saves on gas... but now I need to make a grocery run for cat food and milk. Might as well get black-eyed peas and collards for New Year's Day while I'm out.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9369093

we had a blizzard but honestly i don't think it met the true reguirments that a blizzard is . anyhow, very quiet here. Goats got the gate off its hinges. Wired it so i m hoping if it happens again the gate won't hang on one side.
got most of the holiday decoration down and back in the basement . I m over christmas. Ready for the New Year.
loggers are still working on the woods. I have many fun idea's i want to try with the left over tree tops and stumps.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9369426

Sue, your goats will love a few stumps for climbing and jumping on.. They are like children, love to play.

Larkie

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9369433

they are in the barn until we can get the outside area fenced.
We still need to make the fence area in the barn more sturdy.
we have some straw bales in there so they can play king of the Mt.
cold here brrrrr. droping into the low 20's and tomorrow in the teens. gonna add another bale to the goat area.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9369507

With it that cold I bet they are glad to be inside the barn.. lol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9369850

they seem to be doing ok.
i put some straw bales on the outside of the fence. they seem to like this one end of the pen. So i butted up some bales . hope they like it and feels nice for them.
got more snow last night , another 3 " or so
trying to research grapevine arbors.
i want to make some grapevine projects and an arbor for jessicas garden. lots of wonderful branches to do some fun stuff with ! can't wait
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9370012

Beautiful goats, Sue.

Nick, do you not have water at your place?

We had a great trip. So nice to be with the family. DH came home with the flu.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9370028

Hope your DH gets well soon. It seems like more than half my friends and family got the flu for Christmas.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9370030

DD got strep throat.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9370090

oh heavens Cajun i m so sorry DD and Dh got sick . Not fun at all this time of year. Sending healing energy to them.
anyone know about hemp string ? or rope ? thinking it may be a good way to tie the grape vines and branches ?
guess what, i know i should not say anything but ... we are looking into purchasing the apple orchard i worked at !! . Ended up the last person decided not to do it. So Dh called my boss and well they got a talking and well... lets hope the bank thinks its a great deal.
the president of one of our local banks is a 4 H buyer and he is a long time customer of the apple orchard too. Sooooo we also had a bank loan from them with our house . They know us and lets hope they think we can do it.
It will bring Dh home ! i won't be a single parent anymore !!! LOL
i hope i didn't jinx's it but wish us luck on this.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9370102

Sue, that would be terrific! I sure hope it works out for you. And you are ahead of the game having worked there. It' s all very exciting!

I am really enjoying my Kindle HD my kids gave me for Christmas. They are so very thoughtful. I have a whole lot to learn about it. I have downloaded a couple free books. I need to learn how to delete the books after I have read them.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9370467

good morning folks
got my credit card number stolen... such an awful feeling ! i don't use a credit card much but only at the holidays to get my parents a gift and have it sent to them and i got Tim a thing or two...
Cajun those Kindles do sound like a lot of fun .
got another dusting of snow last night . sure is cold brrrrrr.
goats are happy . added one more bale of straw
Caju how often should i offer hay to the goats ?
i need to make some phone calls be back later
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9370562

Yes, I have water here on the place. However; a lot of wells around here are so bad you can't drink the water without a softener. I drink it anyway, and we bathe with it and use it in most cooking. BUT, I NEVER make coffee with it!! Coffee is almost a sacred thing for me. 28 years, 4 months, and 16 day in the Navy will do that to you. We make our coffee 1 cup at the time using either distilled or reverse osmosis water. It's heated in an electric kettle that has never had anything in it but distilled or reverse osmosis water in it. So we buy it. The flushing water jugs are if power goes out. No power, no well pump. After being here for 7 years now I have learned to get by in the winter and to take precautions all year long.

Which orchard are you looking to buy, Sue? And where exactly is it?

Cajun, Hope your loved ones get better sooner. I said a quick prayer for them.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9370720

Nik its Louden Orchard here in Urbana. it is a hush hush deal. No one knows he will sell his place unless you ask him. So we asked. Two other people backed out of buying it. I m trying not to get to excited about the idea since it is a long shot.
If we do work out a deal i need to get going on pruning the tree's . this is the time to do it.
i m a coffee person also. i perk my coffee with bottled water and do it the old fashion way. i think it just taste better made that way.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9372038

The first for the new year -

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292451/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America