AuthorContent
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9346750

We came from here...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287759/

Time to get moving to finish up any holioday projects.

Kayla is ready!!!!

This message was edited Dec 1, 2012 9:18 AM

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9346773

CUUUUUUUUUTE!!

Im behind already thinking I had one more day in November. My project for December is to just make it thru. Im already loving peoples lights at night they have put up tho, thats for sure.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9346776

OMG Jean - she is just the most adorable...And that stocking and picture is a keeper that's for sure. What a sweetheart. Thanks for the DEC thread.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9346787

OH Jean, that is so precious, and Kayla is beautiful!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9346799

I've told her parents I'll make a stocking big enuf for her to fit in the next couple years. They then asked who was going to fill it. Well, Santa of course!!!!

I bet she will still fit in the stocking next year.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9346837

beautiful baby beautiful bunting.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9346851

Oh, I want another little one like that...grandchild type! She is beautiful. Jean does her hair have a red tinge in color?

Love the personalization!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9346861

Brown hair but a slight hint of red in the right lighting.

Everything is covered in snow!!!!! What is up with that??? I'm ready to go back to FL weather.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9346863

Ah, suppose to get to 79 today. Kim and I are planning on attending a horse show this afternoon. One of her students (and close friend) is jumping her new horse from Argentina and she has already called to make sure we are coming. Will enjoy the sunshine for you Jean. :-)

Of course, it would be nice to see a nice clean fresh blanket of snow...but not to stay in it for very long.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9346914

Going to the horse show sounds like FUN!! I can only imagine how it would be to have a new horse from ARGENTINA! SEND pictures!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9347020

This is just a dusting Jean - it will be gone tomorrow!!!! I want to go to the horse show too!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9347122

It was a great afternoon and Taylor did herself proud for first time showing: 1st place and a 3rd place ribbon. Will have to look for some pictures as I didn't take my camera.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9347138

AWWWWWW :-)

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9347201

Had a friend over today to play with me in the craft room. I taught her how to do a spicy spiral table runner while I finished a lap quilt for the local nursing home. Very productive and wonderful afternoon catching up with an old friend. :)

Thumbnail by lanakila

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 1, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9347230

Kayla... how adorable is that?!?!?!?! She's so sweet as a Christmas stocking filler for her parents!!
Lanakila - that is so very, very, very nice - love it!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 1, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9347289

What a pretty and bright piece..

Was in Buffalo today, coming out of a side street that I always travel, my SIL asked how like the quilt store across the street, quilt store??? How to heck did I ever miss it? Great prices, unique quilting toys..was exhausted, bought a few things.but saw more " I'd love that, I'd love this"

When I got to Barrie and dropped Linda off, told her she forgot a bag..she said the bag was for me..yikes it was a floor pad to stop the speed regulator from roaming all over the floor, the " twister" template I had looked for at 2 Joann's and a lovely pattern for Christmas tree hanging (project for next year, how exciting is that..now is that why I'm wide awake after a trying 2 days?? Anxious to try the 'twister' Christmas wreath??

Go to sleep Betty!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 1, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9347329

how very nice of Linda!!
Glad you enjoyed yourself, Betty
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9347376

What a nice holiday surprise!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9347393

Cher and I are meeting up with Jean tomorrow while she is here in New England!! I'm hoping she has pictures of Kayla for us to oooh and aaah over!!! And I'm hoping the weather warms up a bit for her!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9347415

Am sure you will have a fantastic time Barb..yep, sure you will visit a fabric shop or 2..regardless of the weather it will be a sunshine day!!

Ohh and Ahh for us as well

Need another sewing project? Will share..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9347438

Now I feel like "pond scum". All the pics are on line or on Brian's phone. I have an "antique" flip phone so no pics.

I'm waiting to see some sunshine today. So far just dreary.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9347624

Some great gift surprises there!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9347949

Jean, you will never be "pond scum", now stop that. My heart is melted from the stocking photo and I don't even share the holiday. lol

Lanikila, I second the vote on the colors in your photo. Very WOW!

Betty, I need a vacation just reading your posts. That said, I'm usually reading them at ridiculous thirty in the morning.

Barb, I hope you have as much fun with your visit as my recent visit with Jean. Looking forward to you sharing the day and activities. Jean and I went out to lunch and orchid shopping with DG friends. Some of you have asked me to share photos of my orchids when I post on that forum. I posted several today starting here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9347867
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9348003

Lovin the orchids. Very healthy and happy looking.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9348015

You will have to join us next time around.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9348267

I saw the prettiest dark blue orchid at Home Depot yesterday, I almost bought it till I saw the $40.00 price tag!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9348322

GASP!! Of course I am just not a sucker for Orchids so it would be fairly easy for me to pass it up.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9348395

Just beautiful!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9348400

Linda Kay - those Orchids are dyed. Even if they would ever rebloom, they would not be blooming that Exotic color. Same with the green ones out there now. SO good thing you did not waste your $$$$.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 3, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9348419

Off to aerobics to get charged up then back to sewing bean bags. 7 more outer bags to go.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9348471

Thought you might give a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln01p1M2cH0

Leaving in a little while to meet up with Cher and Jean (Qwilter). Glad it is a good driving day!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 3, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9348487

Have a great time Barb( as if you wouldn't). Jealous here.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9348492

Thanks for the info on the orchids Jean, I did not know they were dyed!

You ladies have a great visit today, give hugs from us please?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9348524

Lucky you Barb. I am sure it will be great fun meeting up with Cher and Jean.

Pat, that makes 2 of us...I loved seeing the orchids in Costa Rica but am not one for having one at home. I think I am just a plain ole basic girl who loves impatiens. Yeap, they do wonders for me...little work for mass rewards with all this shade. ;-)

need to get on with my days chores...will check in later.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9348535

We MUST plan a FL get together for early 2013.

I used to collect African Violets. Had great success with them. Was foever starting new ones & giving babies away. Then, for no known reason they stopped doing well. I'm now down to just a few. In the mean time I brought an Orchid home. Now I have a few and am always thrilled when they bloom. And I'm learning which I'm "good at" and which ones I need to leave at the store/greenhouse.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9348544

I grew African Violets also Jean but like you they just stopped doing really well. Haven't gotten any since I moved so might have to think about those again.

INDEED, we need and early 2013 get together!!!!!!! Need to chart everyone's location then maybe we can find a central point to me...preferable with quilt shops!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 3, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9348546

I'm with you Marion, I love impatiens, especially red ones. I planted them every spring along the shady side of my house downstate. They always grew so well there, in great profusion. People were always asking me how I got them that way. We had a free source for very nice leaf mulch, We dug out the area between the sidewalk and house (about 12 ") and filled with the mulch. They were most happy there as long as they were watered every day.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9348582

Yes, those unnatural colors are concentrated dyes that are injected into the bloom stem. I have been growing orchids, on and off, since childhood when I grew up in S. FL. and have well over two hundred currently. That's after I pared down this Fall. They take up a fair amount of time but give great pleasure, especially the ones coming from habitats that are being destroyed.

I posted a variety of orchids that come after the link attached if anyone is interested, thinking you'd be able to follow the other photos after that link, but no. There is a Vanda shown that comes as close to blue as orchids get. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289528/#new If you go to Dec. 2 you will see a few of my bloomers.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9348720

Beautiful blooms on this orchids! I would not even begin to know how to care for them.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9348726

I used to grow orchids in Tampa, tried them here, and without a greenhouse its just nothing but frustration. Thats when I moved to daylilies and hybridizing them. Gives me something to look forward to every spring. Altho blue is not to be found in the flower world, it has gotten very close in daylilies. Just in the eyes tho, not the petals yet. Plumbago is still about as close as I think most things get.
Love the impatients too. Gainesville is so shaded with all the trees, its one of the only ways to get color.

I sent my wonky blocks out a week ago, I sure hope my team leader got them. Jean did 40, embarrassed to say 10 was all I could manage and in less than two weeks, that was major for me. Thats alot of darned squaring up and picking different fabric, and Thanksgiving was in the middle of everything.

The nine blocks I sent out first and the one I found that I had left out ;-O.
At least I started cleaning right away and found it the same day. Gave me a chance to make a label tho, as I found three markers.

Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9348766

Love those BRIGHT colors. My blocks were much more "subdued".
Had a nice few hours with Barb & Cher. Found a really cute Frog print. I'm collecting to do an eye spy for when Kayla is a bit older.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9348774

I'm so happy that you guys did some wonkys! I'm a team leader and have just started to 'wonk' the blocks I've received. I'm assembling and quilting two sets, so I'm hoping to get started this coming weekend!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9348780

I just signed up to be a Team leader - could not stand the thought of pieceing another wonky block!!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9348791

Im thinking on doing 10 more, looks like they can use another 100 with new team leaders signing up. I sure would go about doing the second 10 a bit different than the first. That was just shy of torture. I thought I might use my charms from the recent exchange for the middles, you can get a good 8 rounds done with a 5" strip, well depending on how wide you cut them. I stuck to about 1 1/4 to1 3/4, so for 10 blocks thats 80 different fabrics/strips right there.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9348913

very nice blocks Pam. :)

there is a blue flower that grows in Alaska ?? Poppy maybe? can't remember? but I have seen pictures and they are Gorgeous!!

yup it is poppy found a picture :)

Thumbnail by barefootT

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 3, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9348965

Don't forget Texas Bluebonnets. I've never been there the right time to see them in person.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 3, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9348970

This is my Tennessee bunch. Managed to get them all together for a photo while I was there.
L to R: Sammi (the only Princess), GS Bob holding his daughter Amelia, GD Jessica, mom to the other three, Brody (the only way he would get in the picture),GD Emily, Bob's wife Stephanie, Payton (oldest Great GS)

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9348988

Your granddaughter looks like you Karen. Beautiful picture!!! Very nice family...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 3, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9349164

Gorgeous blocks - nice you found the missing one!
Thunder - what a beautiful poppy - lovely colour
Those are a great family, Karen

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9349203

I LOVE family portraits!! Thanks for sharing yours.

I LOVE the wonky bright blocks!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9349436

[HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com]

I hope that link works. Does it sound like any one on this thread? :-)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9349501

Are you talking to us? LOL!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9349509

I cant get it to come up, keeps saying page is unavailable :-(

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9349512

Here ya go.

Thumbnail by taters55

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9349519

LOLOL How did you know I JUST finished ordering some Merry Christmoose flannel. I want to do cotton on one side flannel on the other and its for me ;-o. I just love that fabric.

I wanst going to order anything related to fabric unless it was in a kit so I had just what I needed and no more. O well, it was a thought.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9349547

Uh ohhhhhh Linda you have certainly captured our essence!!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9349699

I had no problem whatsoever figuring out what HTF and OOP stood for. I am impressed with myself, lol.

Here is a picture of my GS, he just turned 3. His grandfather (my ex) gave him the bike. The first thing out of Noahs' mouth was "Where's my helmet?"

The other picture is my 3 kids, Anna is Noahs' mom.

Thumbnail by Catbird423   Thumbnail by Catbird423         

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9349707

How adorable. Nice looking children you have.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 4, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9349837

Nice looking family. Pretty smart little guy to ask for his helmet.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 4, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9350084

Karen, absolutely love the family photo..gave me the feel of being back in time..not sure why, perhaps the setting?

Love the blocks, coloring is fantastic...

Days are dwindling, can finally breath and know I'm ahead of the game..
finished the last projec (dresden plate table cloth) I knew I had to get done..now ready for wrapping..as I look at it I like it far better than the one with white background..

Am sending 'shoe box' donation for women's shelter, decided to play 'beat the clock' and managed to finish a small runner for it..got it quilted this morning and did the border at work..that sewing machine I bought for the office sure has come in handy!

Anxious to try the 'twister' so did a piece at the office..looks pretty as is, almost hate to cut into it tomorrow..interested in how to do it so cut I must

hope you all had a productive sewing day!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze      

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9350103

I especially like your Dresdan plate Betty. Not productive day for me. My last client canceled and I went to the boss and told her I was going home, lots of work to do but I was exhausted. Slept from 3:30 to almost 8. We're all hoping I am NOT coming down with something. WAY too much going on to spare the time!! Husband has cataract surgery on Thursday morning.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 4, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9350110

Here is hoping you are NOT coming down with anything..
Maybe the concern over your husband's operation could be tiring you out re stress..all will go well. Sending prayers and hugs!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 4, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9350114

Cataract surgery should be fine - I hear of many people who've had it that wonder why they didn't do it before!
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was stress, Pat. Take it easy and get lots of sleep...!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9350211

You have to wait until the cataracts are ready to come out Susan. The surgery itself is a piece of cake!!
Sounds like season tiredness Pat. The extra sleep is a good thing. Listen to your body and when it says you need to nap-do it if you can...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 5, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9350245

Betty photo setting is back in time. It was taken at the grist mill at Norris Dam a depression era TVA site. It's so scenic that it's hard to take photos there are always so many people trying to do the same thing. The mill itself is very neat but was so crowded we couldn't get close.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9350249

Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home. Even when you don't get there till 11PM and then need to spend time with the critters. Then the decide since Mom is home we NEED breakfast at 6AM.

Contractor is coming by at 9 to pick up some paperwork then I do believe I'm going to take a nap.

So nice to be warm again!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012

Post #9350263

No wonder the sun is shining a little brighter today..Jean is home. Don't you wish you could adjust the "alarm" clock on pets? During the summer when Kim isn't working, her kitties still wake her up at 5 AM. By the time they have adjusted, she is back at work.

Pat, naps are good! The cataract surgery should be just fine. Like Barb says, they have to be ready before they will do surgery. I still have to have one eye done but every time I schedule I either get a cold or mom is doing well. Maybe this spring it will happen. Good luck to hubby Thursday.

Betty, love, love the 3 pieces. You exhaust me with the way you get things done. I got the laundry closet cleaned, everything dusted and rearranged and the floor cleaned..does that count?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 5, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9350265

Just got to work, set up for sewing day lol

yikes, first time I'm trying this twisted wreath, have 1st row cut but it sure is hard making that first cut into the fabric design that already looks pretty..

sure hope it's as easy as shown on the video

Hope your sewing room is filled with sunshine and that you get all you are hoping to get done..clock is a ticking!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9350270

Ive had both eyes done, early 50's. I was blind as a bat in one eye. I thought I was to young to have them but the doctor said if your out in the sun alot that sometimes happens. Sure enough, I learned to ski at 4 and was never far from the water, plus swim team. I didnt ever wear sunglasses and Im guessing thats what caused it. Or...I just have defective eyes lol. Boy o boy, was it just heaven to be able to see again, especially the colors. I kept thinking I just needed stronger glasses. I now wear the darkest sunglasses I can find, it did make me eyes very sensitive to light. Not a bad trade off for great vision. Down side, you dont need glasses anymore, and they hid a miriad of sins around the eyes ;-o.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 5, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9350279

Of course it counts Marion..I'll sew for you if you come clean for me..is that a deal or what..
You must remember though, I have 7.5 hrs here in the office to play/sew/paint etc. so I can accomplish much..not everyone is as lucky, then no supper to cook/ really no cleaning (except craft/sewing room) add those free hours and lots can be done.

What I can do is double time if you clean up the dust made in my cutting room???? times like this I wish my DG friends lived closer...glad the kits were sent off and we are now ready to do on-line crafting..maybe I should have asked Santa for a dust filtration system..that just seems NOT very exciting to open does it, but sure would help workshop dust

Aunt Muriel was visiting the other day, saw me make an armchair pin cushion and tote..takes all of about 20 minutes..she said she'd like one so brought everything in the office to make her one..should be enough to make a 2nd one, will put it in the 'need a gift box' as an extra.

Blizzard off Georgian Bay this morning, be glad you are in the sunshine.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 5, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9350282

They've got such technology these days..how lucky we are..was listening to the news coming in this morning, were talking about a man who had been shot in the face, nothing left of it..something like 40 doctors, 150 specialized nurses operated for over 36 hrs. to reconstruct his face..unbelievable..told me the before and after photo's were on the radio station web site..must go look and see what miracles happen
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9350293

Ah, sorry Betty, I hate cleaning so you know things are really bad when I get motivated to do. LOL Wishing we all lived closer is a wonderful thought. I would love to have some friends close by to share my sewing/lunches out/craziness. :-)

We are suppose to have some rain today and I sure hope it does. Things are getting extremely dry.

Pam, I was told the same about my eyes. re: not wearing sunglasses. I can't go outside now with out some as the eye I have had done is so sensitive. I guess that is one of the problems we deal with that live in Florida.

Jean, be sure to wear yours...our sun is wicked on the eyes.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9350302

I always wear sunglasses. First because i wore contacts then after Lasic I was even more light sensitive. I must have 10 pr of sunglasses scattered about & always wear them doing yard work.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9350306

It sure is, especially near the water, which just reflects it.
Im grateful that ..so far...I didnt get skin cancer, as I used to take an album cover tht opened up and cover it with tin foil, take it up on the roof and use it as a reflector to get a quick tan on the face. OO and slathered with baby oil 'to boot'.

Marion, Trenton is my closest real quilt shop too. Ive gotten so irritated with joanns in the last few weeks, but its close.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9350308

...and if you are like me, you can never locate a pair when you need them. LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9350309

I think we need to met in Trenton after the holidays..say for lunch. Then, if we are interested (LOL) then we can look at fabric.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9350320

Florida sun...gotta love it...gotta hate it at the same time...
Hubs just had two spots of cancer removed by surgery on his hand,had a bunch of other spots frozen. I have an appointment in Jan for check of spots on my hand and leg :(

I still love the beach !!

Pam I would never go on the roof, can't take heights, but I sure have spent time with an album and baby oil!!!

I am going to go look up where Trenton is???

Betty I have seen quite a few quilted wreaths I would like to try, can't wait to see the twister :)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9350332

Thunder, you take 200 West from Ocala until you come to a turn (can't remember road number) that will take you to Trenton and Bell.
You could also go to Gainesville and take Newberry road west but that would be the long way from where you live.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9350339

Let me know where & when.

There are a lot of very nice shops on my side of the state. I can get to 4 w/in 30 min then the one in St Augustine & 1 bit further down Rt 1 are very nice.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 5, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9350824

Dave Brubeck passed away:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/12/05/dave-brubeck-obit.html
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9350833

Ugh. We were so sad to hear.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 5, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9350926

Time to call it a night..sure hope you accomplished what was on your 'to do' list today..

got the 2 pincushion totes done..didn't take any time at all, more than simple..

then got to the twister panel, why on earth did I think it needed a border before starting..had to take it off before beginning the process..

must say doing it was enjoyable and easy..lots of waste though but worth the effort..
certainly would do it again and again and again lol

now to figure out how I will incorporate it in a piece..might check to see if I've enough of same fabric to do a 2nd block..put together they could be a runner.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9350961

Betty ... send it to me and I will give it a red bow and make it a wall hanging :) LOL beautiful wreath!!! two would be a very nice runner, maybe four, for a table topper??? what size is it??

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 5, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9350993

me, me, me, Betty!! You are such a quilting whiz, lady!! That wreath is b-e-a-utiful!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 6, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9351083

Thanks..won't become anything this year, just wanted to try the technique..

Seeing I'm ready for Christmas But still need something to keep me out of mischief today while at work I will look to see what can be done to use up ALL left over rag quilt blocks Suzanne has left over from the blankets I made for her..likely not pretty but will be warm

Looked at the calendar, imagine 2weeks tomorrow and it is Florida time..will be nice to get away..first time entire family will be somewhere else..Greg and his family in Dominican, Jeff and his I believe in Jamaica. Rather than meet a week Senday for family gathering and pressie exchange we should have met after Christmas and talked about our trips. Lol

Sat long enough, time to get at it
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9351094

Betty - I think I asked before, but where will you be in FL???? And how long are you staying???

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 6, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9351129

I will be in Ft. Myers and as far as I know the Saturday/Sunday after NewYears
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9351142

Are you flying into Tampa?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 6, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9351151

Driving down and flying home, then flying back in March and driving home
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9351197

Jean, we are trying to arrange meeting while she is in Ft. Myers (30 south of my sister's home). Hopefully one night we can get together for dinner.

Betty, me, me, me on the twister. It is on my bucket list but then the list is sooooooooooo long. Beautiful work indeed.

HUmm, Betty, thinking if you don't start driving back until the middle of March, say being in the Gainesville area around the 15th, you take a day off and we could attend the Quilt Show/Craft festival in Trenton. Would make for a really fun day. The festival is March 16th.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 6, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9351212

Sounds like fun Marion, but as you know I'm doing this for Darlene, seeing she just lost her husband/dad and her mom is ill..trying to get her away so each day is dependant on what happens there...but would soooo love to!

quiet day here as usual, took all kinds of Suzanne's left over rag quilt blocks..have 6 matching panel designs, now intermixing colors that just don't mix but she is asking that I do my best and just ad and add and add regardless of size..(non sewer and thinks all is possible) lol so what I am thinking now is sewing 4 of the smaller blocks together, cust to the main size and hope to heck I have enough to make the top 10 squares wide..it's 12 squares long..hoping to get it done today so it's one more thing done that I promised I'd help with..next is the 6 placemats DIL has need of a border..called her twice to drop them off..if not at the house by tomorrow it will be 'sorry, no time to do'..now can you imagine me saying such a thing!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9351234

Ft Meyer's is a 5 hr drive for me. Blve Helene is just north of there. With some planning, I think I can manage to get over there.
Oh, and then I'd have to stop & check out the Orchids on my way back.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9351326

So this AM I had a company come & give me a quote for cleaning the air ducts, carpet (just FR & hallway), and the tile/grout in kitchen & foyer (never properly sealed & the grout is disgusting). And I have scheduled them to come & do it all tomorrow. So I have to empty out the kitchen & FR.

Moved plants back outside (but they can't stay there long since work on the sun porch should start early next week) and moving small pieces of furniture to DR, LR, and spare bedrooms.

Needless to say, I'm making quite a mess. Had planned on baking this afternoon but don't think that is going to happen.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9351391

A solid 1 hr drive from Myers to Sarasota and another 15-20 min to longboat key. Yes North
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9351419

I want my grout done so bad, let us know how that turns out. Im not sure of the process, but if it works, its on my list...one day. I know Im not getting on my knees on that hard tile and scraping it all out, regrouting and then sealing. Just cant handle that.

AHHH Longboat Key

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 6, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9351436

Well the tools they now sell (electric) to break the grout, the stronger grout and the spray to seal makes life a lot easier..when I did my tiles in the kitchen I was a bit apprehensive but look great, spray sealed and no problem at all. Was glad though that the tile I bought did not have straight edges so you would have to go looking for unmatched lines..lol

Got the rag quilt done..when all was said and done we have about 90 - 6" squares left..most are already ragged..Suzanne wanted me to take them home, much too bright for my taste, besides getting tired of doing rag quilts..past couple of months I've done 3 for Suzanne and 1 for Aunt Muriel so I said 'I'll pass'

No sooner said that was I looking downstairs, mall walkway where they have a Christmas drop off location for toys/clothing etc. and doesn't look like much there, told Suzanne to leave the squares and next week I'd use them up and we would put it in the donation box. Found me another job..drats I'm getting good at that!!!!

I have 2 birthday gifts to get before family gathering, need some batting/thread and I'm trying to decide if I have enough energy to do it tonight or wait????
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9351569

Jean, let Jim and Elaine know your plans. I'm sure they will try to meet up for an orchid hunt if they can. It sounds like you will be very busy with your remodeling and renovating. Phew!

Thunder, 'scuse me if I'm in the wrong place but your purses are terrific. Even if you used a pattern, they are incredibly original and creative. I thought skeletons would be a put off but they are like a black comedy fashion statment.

I cook professionally and teach in my home kitchen. Standing on tile floors for long periods hurts. This kitchen has hardwood floors with three GelPro mats on the runs where I stand. After ten hours of cooking today I'd be in sorry shape with tile floors. I think there are several cures for sorry grout today.

I'm only able to stitch a bit here and there. Unlike Betty, I cannot work and sew. Sigh. Still, work is a good thing and very welcome.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9351600

I have those gelpro mats on the tile. Pricey, but well worth it.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9351913

Thank you , I have fun making them...It came form a design I saw on a blog...she gave a tutorial, and pattern pieces to print...wish I knew where sew I could give her credit...

hers was small like the one I called baby bag, I have made them in four different sizes. when I saw the little one, I just knew I had to make one for my GD!!

skeletons are very popular 'round here, and there are many many versions in fabric, I made a quilt for my GD with some that had red hearts for eyes, and pink bows on their heads, it was very cute, and girly.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 7, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9351980

Let's hope you have buyers for them all Thunder!! Shopping $$$$..hurrah, either for gifts or a trip to the fabric shop.

I wasn't pleased with the rag quilt yesterday, I would have done it completely different but she wanted only scraps from her grandaughters rag quilts and didn't matter how they went together randomly..told her to go for it..and go she did!!

This morning I called WalMart (needed some batting) recording said now open 24 hrs...got dressed, drove in a 5:30 and outside attendant said 'no it opens 24/7 as of Dec. 7thth?? came home, found 1 large piece left and pieced the sides so I can finish one of the throws that I made of leftover christmas charms..now to quilt ..

will be fun between painting pieces for our DG workshop and posting step by step instructions and machine quilting..am sure by end of day all will be done..

enjoy your day, may it be a sunshine one!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9351982

Isn't it funny Betty how we want others to have the same taste as we do when it comes to design etc????? As long as you gave her what she wanted - that was the main idea...
Love the scraps quilt - the stars really set it off nicely...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9351989

Morning everyone!
Betty, those are so pretty! Love the stars too!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 7, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9351996

Morning Barb and LindaKay..yep, so wanted Barb to run to Fabricland and put border of 3 colors around the 6 rows that did match..just couldn't talk her into it!!!! lol

You are both up early, likely sewing right?

I was sitting here smilling..when I put the top on batting I had to cut off a good portion of the lining and batting..now remember this quilt top that I'm quilting was from all my leftovers, thought it was a good way to get rid of them..now I'm looking at the piece sitting there and thinking..got the backing, got the binding, got the batting all I need is a quick runner top and voila..a gift I could give someone..then the mission is who can I give it to lol

Wish my brain would shut down..

can't you see the width of green background fabric just waiting to be 'something' lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9352002

Banana bread baking!!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 7, 2012

Post #9352055

Oh my all you busy ambitious ladies. Usually I'm up between 6 and 7 but this morning I was very happily sleeping in a bit, until the phone rang...wrong number. Oh well...needs to get ready and go to aerobics anyhow. Then back and sewing beanbags.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9352094

On my way Jean. I love banana bread...need to bake some and maybe a couple of loaves of apricot bread. Don't think it will be today as my body just isn't working with me this morning. Rebelling after staying outside all day yesterday...knee is stiff and refuses to bend this morning. Oh well I am sure I can find something to do inside.

Went to the Christmas pageant at my granddaughters school last night. Always give me a huge lift to see the children ..of course the cutest donkey was my youngest and the sweetest voice in the chorus belonged to my oldest. Prejudiced? No, not me!! ;-)

Have a good day everyone no matter what you are doing.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 7, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9352096

you know she was the cutest and most talented..not prejudiced at all..

for some of you who are doing the workshop..

we've started, come on and get those paints out!!!
Barb/LindaKay/Thunder

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286328/
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9352177

Just got home from Publix, 120 bucks for stuff to make Christmas goodies, what on earth is happening with these prices. I usually make test cookie first but this year Im just gunna make what I know and live with the new recipes without testing. Thank goodness I nixed the fudge. I remember the day you made stuff to save money. Maybe I should have just gone with the buy one get one free russel stovers candy...nah ;-)

I wish I would have gone with banana bread, its so yummy.

I always wanted to be one of the animals in a christmas play. Some would say I took on the part of a donkey for a lifetime anyway lololol
Its a miracle they even let them have a donkey the way things are going these days.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9352182

LOL, Pam the donkeys were really cute. They had each made their ears to wear so there was a wide variety of styles...painted their nose tips black and I could see my youngest GD twitching hers constantly. She later told me it was itching...I think it was warm and the material used to paint started sweating some. The also had sheep...all in all it was cute.

I read the other day, not sure where, that milk could be as much as $6.00 a gallon by the end of next year. No way!!! Kim and I have some baking time this weekend as it seems all classes are having parties next week. Plus she has the facility party to do something for also.
Hummm, wonder who has the Danish shortbread cookies on sale?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9352190

Betty, I like the bright rag quilt. and your Christmas charms quilt is loverly...very nice touch with the stars...

cute little machine you have at work, what kind is it??

I have to get ready for work, and now you are telling me I could be painting snowman...arrrghhhh pooh

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9352196

Betty your energy should be patented. overwelming.

cooky plate last year. This year perhaps one or two kinds, thats it.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9352215

Those cookies look so yummy! Pass the plate please?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9352220

Norm says if he can only have two - he will take the chocolate covered one and the two layer brownie!!!! Maybe you could send me the recipes and I could surprise him.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 7, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9352229

mouth watering..drats, why is it Norm always wants the ones I want..lol

I'd love any one of them to go with my coffee...

Barb, you tell Norm that I said he has skates to sand and snowmen heads to paint..he can't say he doesn't know how, we had him sanding runners for the Christmas Victorian Santa Sleighs and also painting a floormat while he was here so he can't fool me..

Message from Betty to Norm

"leave the cookies for me and get to work Norm!!"

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9352263

those recipes are in grams (german) I'll see if I can convert to Cups

Norm certainly seems to be "one of a kind"

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9352269

http://plantfoodfabulous.com/2010/12/ischler-krapfen.html

link to the chocolate covered cookies - I use ground hazelnuts or ground almonds.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 7, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9352281

Thank you for the recipes..meant to say what a fabulous platter..wish I was closer and do some sampling.

Yes, Norm and Barb stayed here for 3 or 4 days, got to say we did not stop (would you expect anything less when staying with me) lol and he was more than a trouper, up to anything we wanted to do

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9352481

MUCH envy here!!!

Ben had his cataract surgery yesterday, laser style, didn't even put him out. He's doing great and I have to get back to planting bulbs.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9352495

Can I find almond meal in a grocery store? Where would I look for it? I would really like to try these...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9352517

If you cant, you can get it at the health food store, I know red mill or bobs red mill...w/e that brand is. You can also just make your own, just pulverize the almonds in the food processor . No skins and blanched I believe. I do this with walnuts too, for my butterballs. I love anything with almond meal/flour in it. I would make pound cake with it if I knew how. Anyway, it will be interesting to se what Helene does

This message was edited Dec 7, 2012 7:57 PM

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9352538

I grind my almonds or hazelnuts, actually all nuts (no pun intended). I have a cuisnard hand held grinder as I do Tortas and walnut cakes etc.

Yes just grind them in your food processor until the consistancy of fine coffee. Careful not too too fine nuts will turn into butter, not so much almonds still be carefull. it ok if the nuts have some granuals...Cookies are delic. a bit tedious. Roll them between wax paper and then freeze for a few, can be removed easily, also line your baking sheet with parchment which you can use over and over. Actually the most liked on the platter are the balls with a shine. "Honey kisses" kind of a Fam secret. recipe is something like 3-4 generations in the Fam.

DH fav were the Linzer with jam center, my fav. are raisin creme filled wafers. What you referred to brownies, are actually walnut choc dough baked on top of a cookie dough. These are VienasesAustrian recipes.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9352550

Barb - the grocery stores in MD carried it but none do down here. I was contemplating grinding up the bag of almonds I have. I have a fancy blender that is supposed to do that.
Also good is to grind up oats for oat flour. Doesn't take much time/effort.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 7, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9352641

y'all like Christmas baking?
http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 8, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9352813

Morning all, mild here, great for a trip to town to see some family and friends and be Santa's helper..

Now it's my turn to rest..will be feet up enjoying christmas decoration (those put out) most remain in storage as I'll be leaving shortly for Florida...

did accomplish much since yesterday morning..managed to quilt and bind my leftover block top, even washed it before putting it in the bag..

Got instructions out for I would think more than 1/2 the DG Christmas workshop and this morning after looking for the gifts under the tree that are coming with me I even had time to do a glass present block that my SIL had been hinting about..lol

Now I can sit and watch you all at work and be awed at the treasures you've made.

Thank you all kindly, knowing you were there when I was tired and wanted to push forward made the difference in being right where I should be on the day I should be...

Got to love Christmas

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9352818

Stop by here on your way south & you can finish my decorating for me!!!

BTW, what route are you taking on the way down?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9352859

Love that tree Betty! That is a lot of gifts!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9353018

Love the top Betty and the tree is exquisite!!! nice job!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 8, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9353200

Betty - that sure IS a load of gifts!!!!
I remember last year where all we got were boxes of chocolates lol Christmas parties, and friends - they didn't know what to give, so gave chocolates LOL Had 10 boxes worth!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 9, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9353580

Morning all,

Gorgeous day out there, who would think that normally we'd have snow..best I not jinx it! lol

I cannot believe the dust (from workshop cuttings) and thread that was from one end of the house to the other..decided I'd just play, maybe even make a loaf of bread and applesauce cake but when I looked down and saw dust and threads, looked up and saw a few webs I said 'nope' a cleaning day it shall be..let the furries rest and watch while I work.

My friend Rita dropped in, borrow my accuquilt seeing as she is doing rag quilts with her niece, said she'd drop in as she forgot my pressie..drats..forgot to add her to my list so guess I'll do another table runner..lol just knew my staying and doing NOTHING would not materialize..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 9, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9353586

Missy says 'enjoy your day'
may it be everything you want it to be!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9353599

My Dad is back in the hospital, we're headed to church then the 1 hour drive to stay the day with him. It does not appear to be as bad as last time, caught the pneumona earlier.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 9, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9353601

Sending prayers for your dad and hugs for you Pat..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9353616

Pat sending hugs and prayers for you, your Dad and family. I didn't get a really good report on Mom yesterday...very confused and has gotten so argumentative with my sister.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 9, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9353627

Sorry to hear that Marion..it's been a long journey for you, your mom and your family!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9353634

Sorry to hear about both of those things, good thoughts and prayers being sent your way.
Also to your sister Marion, I have a family member that is getting down right mean as they get older and its very very hard to deal with and 'take'. Hopefully she has a bit more of a teflon personality than I do.

Cloudy here but warm. Think Ill do some work oustide, before continuing 'scrapping'.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9353639

Thanks. She is getting more and more like my grandmother...trust me, she was a "class act" when it came to being nasty!!! Will see what today brings and no, my sister is not tough skinned!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9353700

LOL, I know its not funny, but sometimes your just cried out and have to laugh. It does help knowing one is not alone in their 'struggles'. Being an only child, it really is a blessing I can read of others experiences.

Butterballs almost ready to go in the oven, that ought to be just what the dr. ordered, calories and all. ;-)

This message was edited Dec 9, 2012 2:02 PM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9353753

Pam, that sucks that the "well-meaning" person is so judgemental. Those of us struggling with weight issues KNOW perfectly well that we would be better of at a healthy weight. We just "wear" some of our problems & unhealthy copings skills (overeating) right out there were the world can see them!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9353766

Whoops, sorry you had to read that but yes, that is the whole point, we know whats going on, just not as easy as all that to 'fix' it. As you see, Im hitting the butterballs ;-x.
Actually, this person has always been and always will be fataphobic. She disquises it now with the health reasoning. She thinks telling us we are going to die before her is a tactic thats gong to do the trick. lol Gotta love her tho, and I do, but she can sure stress one out.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 9, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9353768

Coping with over weight is never easy. My mom was very tiny all her life. To her I was an alien, she couldn't understand how we could even be related, let alone have any sympathy. To her it was my choice and my "own fault I was so fat". She never saw the genetic connection to my dad's family, he was the only "normal" sized person in it.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9353772

Sorry to hear about your Dad Pat. I'll keep him and all of you in my prayers.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9353775

This message was edited Dec 9, 2012 4:10 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9353792

It is so beautifully warm & sunny here today & I'm stuck indoors getting some sewing projects completed. Need to get 1 done & in the mail tomorrow. At least the cats are getting to enjoy the sunbeams out on the porch. And the windows are open so airing out the house.

OK, break is over...

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9353979

I'm participating in the stocking swap here on DG. I notice that my recipient isn't on this thread, so I thought I'd risk posting a pic or two of what I'm working on. Shhhhhh...

Thumbnail by lanakila   Thumbnail by lanakila   Thumbnail by lanakila      

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 9, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9353996

Someone is going to be smiling from ear to eat..how beautiful!
Lots of work gone into that treasure!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9354026

That is so unique!!! What kind of fabric did you use for your background?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 9, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9354068

Well heck fire, I was gonna say beautiful and unique. LOL
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9354077

Cant wait to see it when its done, well after the recipient sees it. I would have never thought of the pear tree, which is what Im thinking when I see it. Whatever that background is, it sure is pretty with the gold and silver threads going thru it. They really show up when you click on the pear picture.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 9, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9354124

ok - I dare you to NOT cry during this one:
http://www.wimp.com/santadad/

(I sure did...)

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9354141

Barb, the background is made from a placemat that is cream with gold metallic threads running through it. The band at the top is actually the reverse material from the placemat. The design isn't actually a pear, although that's what my husband though too! It's really tied in to the username of the person receiving the stocking, but that would be too easy of a giveaway. Don't want any of their friends here to run over to a different thread and spoil the surprise! Shhhh...just packed it up for shipping tomorrow. :)

My family no longer gifts, so I've been having a blast playing in the swaps here on DG!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 9, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9354242

That is truly special, I believe I've figured it out.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 9, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9354243

Lanakila - our family doesn't gift anymore either... and I love getting gifts from people who figure out "who I am" with never even having met me!! This is so awesome, cuz y'all really "GET" me!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9354260

WAY cool stocking and sooooo much fun!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 9, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9354263

woo hoo... Pat - glad to see you're still up, too! Are you in Mtn time, or Pacific?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 10, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9354309

Was so sure it was pears as well...just so creative!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9354363

OOOOOO sorry about calling it a pear, but I actually get it if it is tied to a name. Perfect too, as she is also very creative. Perfect actually. Now I get the shape that wasnt a partridge or a pear ;-x.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9354450

Pacific Susan so I'm usually up after the other DGers have gone to bed.

I have just found a site for personalized gifts and I"m soooooo excited! I have found the gift to give my sister! Next year for Christmas she is going to decorate with Snowmen. http://gifts.personalcreations.com/gifts/Snowman-and-Cardinal-Doormat-30019054?ref=pcrprtlsYahoo_mailgiftsf_425x600DODStatus_SlghstckgSnmndrmtXmsrgdll&op=new&ssid=70&trackingpgroup=PCHRHOM

I also found the Vinyl personalization I have wanted to have done for OUR dining room wall. Ben is making a rack to display his Bassoon, and 2 rose wood recorders. I am going to have "Where words fail, music speaks." lettered above it.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9354534

I just love the famliy blessings plate and nativity wall cross. Honestly, that plate might have to be a go to wedding gift, if I think the marriage will last ;-o. They do have lots of ideas for the people who want and need nothing.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9354566

Well everyone has said what I was also thinking to say about the stocking. Humm, me thinks I have figured it out also.;-)

Our family gifts but limited...Christmas is for the granddaughters.

Pam, yes, you do have to laugh or you will go nuts. You are definitely not alone with parental issues...personality changes especially.

Pat, how is your dad doing? Hoping he is much, much better and so grateful things were caught early. It is so scary.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9354573

Oh Doc that is a lovely expression !!!

and what a great site, I think I just found an anniversary gift for my son and DIL thanks !!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 10, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9354589

Enjoyed browsing the link as well..love the snowman matt..
might just look at it and paint it..easier than ordering seeing my house if full of such matts.

With regards to Christmas and gifts..I have to say I'm probably one of the biggest kids in support of Christmas and gifts..Roger always said if your name was in the telephone book likely you would receive a gift from us..lol For the few years after his death (wouldn't you know he'd die on New Years I all but gave up on Christmas, little by little over the few years of doing so I lost a lot of what was about me so decided to forge on and enjoy Christmas!

Visited with elderly uncle on Saturday morning, we talked about the days of old, our Christmas Eve's where we would go to church, come home and have one of the largest festive meals, Santa arriving with gifts galore to dish out..the best of memories..

then we got on to personalities..I broke out laughing..

he said when they spoke of me they'd say 'Betty is the one who goes to bed with an idea and when she gets up its made!" how close to my personality can you get..those who know me well know they are dead on.

Been in mega pain these past few week, finally have an appointment tonight..thank be the Lord..so I've been quiet these past few days but decided sitting and doing nothing all day would drive me crazy so here I sit with hand sewing doing DIL Melanie's set of placemats she did that I promised I'd help with hand sewing..she and the family are flying out I believe the 20th to the Dominican so she too is playing beat the clock..not too strenuous..6 placemats, got 2 done..even if I only d 2 a day I'll have them completed by Wednesday..other than that, resting is the call of the day!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9354606

Sorry to hear you are miserable Betty and I think that is a wonderful description of you!! OH how I wish I got stuff done like you!!
Painting the mat is a great idea but I know it won't get done if I try to resort to that so I ordered.

YES, I LOVE the site and if it turns out to be a GREAT find, there are several more items I would like to order.

My Dad is doing great and they will discharge him after the swallow test.

HEY, I just figured out the stocking name too!!! There is hope for me afterall! hehehe

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 10, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9354615

Thanks Pat..better get me a fix-up before a week Thursday!!!
Thank goodness Jeff (youngest boy) thought it a better idea for he and Julie to do Christmas on Sunday..not so sure I could manage..

Glad you ordered the mat, will look festive, an added decorative item for the floor.

I'm doing much the same, too much decorative painting in the house, no walls left so now I look for something to paint that can lay on the floor..running out of floor space now..lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9354658

Susan, that link says the video was removed. It did not work.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9354668

I started to try the link, but then didnt. I dont need to start crying, even if its happy tears ;-). It said santadad, I was wondering if it might have been a clip of what I saw on the news with santa and the little girls whose dad was home from the war to surprise her. Those do tear me up. If you were/are a Daddy's girl, those really 'get you'.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9354707

my GD is totally daddy's girl!! I can not watch those soldier videos...I know many are happy reunions...butttttt I just can not deal with the emotions...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 10, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9355128

ROFL Betty - there couldn't be a more accurate description of you!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9355243

They kept my Dad another day, he is not a happy camper... his culture did not come back yet.

sis and I shopped all day and I have this Friday off too so we'll go OUT again! it's gonna kill me when I'm doing the normal 5 days a week at the office!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9355326

Sorry to hear about your Dad Pat. Sending prayers he is released soon!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9355371

Poor guy. That is the absolute WORSTE when they say they will let you go home and then you dont get to. Sure hope the lab gets that culture back, and fast. Hope he is then sprung.

I find it so odd to read about people who like to go to the hospital for attention. Thats one gig I could do without.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9355485

What a bummer Pat. I am sure it is only in the best interest for your dad but how disappointed they can get. Lucky you, having a sister who likes to shop. Mine doesn't...run in, get exactly what is on list, leave!!! Thankfully I do have a daughter who likes to shop...well actually we go and might never buy anything but lunch but have a good time. Guess that counts for something.

Pam, I do believe I read where Gainesville got a good, no great, rain yesterday...3.51 inches? Of course, the usual wrecks that comes with the rain there. Some things never change.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9355496

O wow did we need that rain. When the buds are falling off huge camellias because they are dry...its REALLY dry. Hopefully it saved some azeala blooms for the spring. They are looking bad tho.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 11, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9355871

Have to do a bit of bragging: This is my grandson Troy, the youngest of my youngest daughters three boys. He just turned 21 one week ago. He also just earned his Masters Degree from Michigan State University. Took him just 3 years. Smart Boy, very proud grandma.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9355928

WOW - three years only??? That's wonderful Karen and you've every right to feel so proud!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9355953

YAHOOOOOO Troy.

I don't have updated pictures, butttttt I got a bunch of stitching done on my Santa Dresden today.. finished the last of a Christmas surprise, will pack it up tomorrow eve after work and get it out into mail Thursday.

working day shift wed, thur, fri...boss will be out, His Grampa passed away Saturday, He was very close to him :(

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9355984

Nice picture Karen! Congrats to him for the masters degree!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 11, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9356009

Thunder - sorry to hear about your boss' Grampa... sure he's having a tough time dealing with it.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9356037

Congrats to your family Karen.
Thunder I am sorry for your boss's loss. A loss anytime is hard, at the holidays even harder.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9356191

Sending my condolences too Thunder. And that is a terrific idea for Kiz regarding the baby's outfit!!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9356192

thanks, and Y'all have a great day

sew something wonderful...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9356205

The rain started here during the nite. A string of rolling thunder woke me at 2AM and I don't think the rain has stopped since.

I volunteered to make some pillow cases for a family a local Church group is "adopting" for Christmas. That would be a good rainy day activity. And I still have a pile of unfinished ornaments to get done. Then clean off the kitchen table before DH gets back tonite. He was so funny telling me about the diaper he had to change yesterday. He was Kayla sitting and she had one of her "larger" movements. He started changing here & said "it kept coming & didn't think the diaper would hold it all"!!!!! And there were only 2 wipes lift in the box. Way too funny.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9356213

LOL! Some of those movements can be dangerous!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9356321

Jean, that is so funny. I can remember the first diaper my late husband changed. Might add first and last!!! After watching me change our son one time and getting wet down, he totally refused to do his!! Men!!

Congrats Karen, that is quiet an achievement! Good looking young man.

Thunder so sorry to hear about your boss' grandfather. So much worse during this time of year.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9356377

Kathy, you comment on the other thread (Nov) about newborn dresses. Abbigail, my oldest GD, was born on Dec 10th (yeap turned 10 on Monday) and her mom ended up getting a black dress for her Christmas picture. Black velvet with white lace tights. Funny you would think all kinds of red outfits would be available.

Thumbnail by abbisgranma

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 12, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9356389

Talk about two gorgeous ladies...what a sweetheart!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9356411

Waving to Marion.

Thats not the same little girl that was at the festival is it?? If so, hasnt she grown and she is beautiful.

Karen, he is one nice looking guy. Good for Him with the degree.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 12, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9356436

Karen, meant to add how handsome that young man is..
Susan called last night to say your book had arrived...she was thrilled!

Now that I'm done for Christmas am looking for little projects to keep me going lol

Suzanne had about 90 or so med. size rag quilt blocks..I've sat here in the office ragging and shortly will see how I can put them together..we are on a mission to find a young lady who is in need of a Christmas gift..I'll be the maker and Suzanne can find someone who will appreciate it's warmth.

Did another 'twister' block..will finish cutting it tonight, putting it together with my previous block and make something of it..always someone somewhere who would appreciate a hand made gift right?

surely these 2 projects will keep me out of mischief

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 12, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9356484

A very lovely young lady Marion.
Betty I got message from her too. Please let me know about postage. I so appreciate your sending it for me. I never thought it would turn into such a hoohaw.

Two more bean bags to go, just small ones so will be quick. Then making my huge batch of scramble ( Chex Mix snack on steroids).
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9356509

Thanks everyone. Yes, Pam that is the same little girl...I am wearing heels also. She has just had her glasses since September and thinks it is great that she is almost as tall as grandma. She is my pride and joy...as is the other one also!

Thumbnail by abbisgranma

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9356667

WOW they sure are growin" Marion...My thoughts same as Pam's the little girl from the festival?? Wow

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 12, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9356783

Yes Betty & Karen - I am thrilled!
The first book is the one my mom got me yea these many years ago... and my grandmother had given me an embroidery floss holder (cloth - put the floss in little straps and then roll the holder up - held about 30+ skeins. Not sure if she made, or bought it, but it's an heirloom). Because my mom introduced me to embroidery, I've always loved it. And of course I like most kinds of hand-work.
I'm so very, very, very pleased to have "my" embroidery transfer book back. And the fact that None of the pages is missing is wonderful!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9356805

Thunder, the one and same that her picture made with us that year. She is growing up much to fast for her grandma.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9356889

yes they grow too fast!!! my little one is now reading me goodnight stories when we skype!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9357335

Isn't it fun to have them read to you! Ah the joys of being a grandparent...endless and so fulfilling, well IMHO.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 13, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9357365

Need my grandsons to have some little girls..oh right, they are only in their early teens..but, the years do go by quickly.

Trying to fill time here, worked on 2 more runners, tops done..might get them quilted tonight then tomorrow I can just sit and hand stitch binding..

Heavens to betsy, went for lunch, was thinking of a cousin who is closer to my children's age, very dear to my heart..lives on an island, is a hunter and I remembered all the outdoor type of fabric and thinking, now why couldn't I make him some placemats for the cottage, he'd love the country in them..shaking my head and telling myself 'no/no/ n o' now let's see if I listen to myself lol
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9357370

ROFLOL, I didn't think the doc nor the meds were going to slow you up!!! Just remember don't overdo it Betty.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 13, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9357388

laughing here, where I'm go/go/go now I'm mellowing out as I go/go/go..he thought for sure I'd be sleeping till noon with the meds he gave me, told me to snuggle in ...he did wink as he told me this!!
But have been behaving, in bed early, sleeping through the night ..

I often wonder how many people can just sit??

I work myself into a 'do nothing' stupper..get coffee, something for treats, put on a good movie and say, for the next few hours I'm doing nothing..within minutes my eyes start wandering, looking at what I could be doing..lucky if I make 5 minutes..lol

I do sit though and hand sew or knit and to me, that's relaxation.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9357393

I can relate and I think that is why my knee isn't responding as well as it should. Hopefully that is the reason and no tear. However, the doc does suspect I did twist it and tore something. Will find but in the meantime...I can't sit still either.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 13, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9357447

We'd make quite the pair Marion..

I don't feel bad about never stopping because all my family are the same..we have bets on who can sit the longest lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9357732

Hummm... you make bets on who can sit the longest... in my family, I have PAID children to be quiet!! Just a few minutes of peace for a quarter!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9357834

my only sit and do nothing time...is time on the computer, that is about all the "quiet" I can stand.. have to be doing something. Another symptom of Quilters ADHD??? I am in need of getting some bindings on some small projects, as I am out of small things to do with my hands...and it will probably be to damp and cold today to sit outside for lunch and read a book :( lucky I got a quilting mag in the mail yesterday, will bring that to work with me.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 14, 2012
3:20 AM

Post #9357837

Well then I'm in good company!

While shopping yesterday I stopped to look at a few magazines, nothing said 'take me home'
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

December 14, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9357842

My sister kidnapped me and whisked me away to Daytona to share her timeshare and go thrift store shopping. I can't just sit so I brought my cookie dough and will get my special Italian anise cookies made and frosted while here. They are for Judy as she has fond memories of them from her youth. I'm not fond of anise but anything for a friend! We went to a nice pet rescue thrift shop and I came home with a pink and lime green hooded linen jacket and a longsleeved tee with a muted gray background and French looking decoration, not my usual style, as I prefer brighter colors but it is very windy here and chilly, so needed something warmer. Last night we went to a movie Snow Men, it was very cute and rated for family viewing. Yesterday afternoon we had a SPA event, wonderful to be pampered. My computer has died so on a borrowed old one and for awhile. I hate to have to buy a new one as my camera will only interface up to XP, anything after that is obsolete. I've been feeling every one of my 70 years and need an attitude adjustment to get me going on the next decade. I'm so looking forward to getting to meet more of you if we can have a get together in Florida. Keeping all of you and yours in my prayers and enjoying reading about all of your projects, Way to go Betty, love your Christmas spirit.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9357848

Mittsy - your get away sounds WONDERFUL, except for cold & wind. When I was reading about the jacket, at 1st I thought it was for a dog and was thinking "wow, a lot of work of clothes for a pet".

Remember, "70 is the new 40"!!!!!

Had my Guild Christmas party last nite & it was very nice. Pot Luck and there was some WONDERFUL food. No duplicates. I had gone to COSTCO & picked up my favorite Cranberry Goat Cheese log. People wanted my recipe!!!! Did a mug rug & ornament exchange. Somce very talented ladies in the group.

The heater came so now I can heat the Studio. Need it when it is chilly and cloudy for a couple days in a row & we have definitely had that a lot this week. Hope it works as good as the reviews promise. I want to get some sewing done this weekend.

I signed up to be a Sandy Quilt Leader. Got my list of piecers today. I have blocks coming from Canada and Australia. Guessing it will take awhile for those to get to me.

Happy Quilting...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 14, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9357968

All busy, nice to read the posts of all your Christmas endeavors!

Sitting on couch with feet up sewing a binding on the table top runner a sewed yesterday..Christmas movies on and kitties laying by my side..almost thinking I should be making Chelsea buns ..peaceful king of day
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9358034

I think I can remember doing the same Pat...especially when my nieces and nephews would come from Canada during the holidays!! Way to much noise.

Me thinks I need to clarify my "can't sit" statement. I can sit BUT I must have something to work on or I will be up and gone. Drives me up a wall not to be doing something if watching the TV. Kim is the same way.

Mittsy, what a wonderful "kidnapped" experience!! Like Jean, I thought you were talking about a jacket for an animal. Duh!! Sounds like it was a nice thrift shop. Head up, 70s aren't all that bad (she says as she can't walk right now) but I think it is more like the new 50s. :-)
This not walking thing will pass soon and then it is off again...hopefully a trip to Costa Rica again later in the summer.

I am so looking forward to 2013 and the chance to met people who I feel are my "adopted sisters" now. What fun!! After the holidays we will have to do some serious thinking regarding making this happen.

Has anyone heard from Helene lately?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9358065

Helene just popped up in the last couple of days on the recipe forum.

I too have paid kids to 'zip it'. Noise I can almost handle, its whinning that does me in.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9358233

Just got home from my first Christmas shopping trip. I was at books a million and had in my hands a book about why, if there is a God, does so many bad things happen. I put it back as I had so many other things. I just got home, turned on the TV, and as everyone has probably seen now, 20 kids and 6 adults slaughtered at a school. What on earth is going on. I should have gotten the book.

On the happy side, they were having a toy drive for the Childrens Home Society of Fl. That is where I 'came' from and was thrilled to be able to make some other childrens Christmas a little brighter. Since we dont gift anymore, it was just sheer joy to be able to do that.

I also just found out that my niece, who is barely pregnant got a call a few weeks ago. Seems some long lost relative of her husbands had 3 little girls 2,3, and 5, and they were seperated and in Foster homes, altho they do go to the same daycare. They were asked if they might take them, and darned if Lauren and Marshall are gong for it. Im beyond thrilled about that as well. Now, when someone ask if she knows what she is having, she can say quadruplets. I now have a reason to make qults next year and it feels so good.

Joy to all of you this weekend and prayers to all those who lost so much today.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 14, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9358240

Awwww Bless your niece and her dear hubby. Three very lucky little girls.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9358258

well Hooray for Lauren and Marshall !!! so nice to hear something good today ! after hearing of that mess on the news...so so sad :( :( I just can not begin to understand WHAT it is that can bring a person to do such a thing????

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 14, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9358287

How living and unselfish Lauren & Marshall are..may the lord bless them..

Thunder, mind boggling..seems the shooter had asperghers syndrome..I'm just since to my tummy having a grandson, few years younger than the shooter with the same..there will never be answers for the true why? May the lord watch over all these families' those who are grieving loss and those for the experiencing such horrors!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9358385

Pam, that gave me chill bumps reading about your niece...good for them and God Bless.

Just can't even begin to understand nor make sense out of that mess. Such a sad day for America.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 14, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9358407

How truly wonderful, and giving, of Lauren & Marshal!! Very lucky little girls! Now, if they have a baby girl... lol Wouldn't that be something??

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 15, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9358711

Morning all,

Up at 4am, just couldn't sleep, thinking of all those families waking this morning to find out what they thought was a nightmare is a reality..prayers going to all!!!

Marion, you are to behave today, rest is the call of the day!

Sat for awhile, checked my list, have more pressie's than I needed to have but still having the urge to sew to keep myself busy..doing gift drop off to a few family/friends this morning, then a trip to the lumber yard, always give them the craft of the year that I do as a teaching aid and they draw a name from their staff list..my way of thanking them for all the specialty cuts I ask for then hopefully hope around the noon hour.

As I finished last night another runner that I had made the top for on Friday I went and got the twisted wreath out..finished the top, have it ready to quilt..might have time for another coffee before I start it though.

Guess today (and every day) we should reflect on just how lucky we are ...give those kids and grandchildren hugs/kiss and if they are not nearby, then a call...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9358735

and don't forget to say I love you !!
beautiful wreaths Betty.
I had a wonderful phone call with Judy the other day, she always makes my heart sing!! she is busy busy as usual.. I think she is Betty Junior LOL...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9358741

Betty, those are beautiful! How big are they? Love that green fabric for the outer border, where did you get it?

Pretty sad what happened yesterday at that school. Also sending lots of prayers for the families!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012

Post #9358783

I like those wreaths as well, very nice.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9358796

Beautiful Betty. I just love the eye you have for fabrics that "go together well".

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 15, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9358844

so sad about that community having the tragedy happen at the school... and his poor mother... said she's gone now too...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9358857

Getting rather long...
Head over to the new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1291059/

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9359476

I think this is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln01p1M2cH0

Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

December 17, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9361071

Awwwww Kayla's stocking is beautiful! I have a 4 month old grandbaby who was very tall at birth, so I don't know if I'll try a stocking that big, but that is just so cute!

Her mama wants me to make her a full size bed quilt instead of a baby quilt. I've started with an applique part in the center. Looks like I'm not thread stealing if I post a pic? (Learning the ropes here, please excuse if this is not ok, and drop me a note?) The outer edges will probably be 12 inch squares, 8 pointed stars, in colors that match the stuff on the inside. I'm trying to use up the 30 year fabric collection, but I am giving her mama some fabric from that box for a start to her own quilting.

Thumbnail by Gypsi

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 17, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9361084

Oh, it would be terrible if you DIDN'T post this pic! We love the sharing of pics of our work and work-in-progress! I love this center piece! Mind you... I'm Rather partial to butterflies lol

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 17, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9361114

Welcome, welcome, so glad you are here, and yes we love pictures. Lets see that grandbaby too. We don't consider anything off topic here. I hope you'll keep showing us pictures as your project progresses.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9361144

Welcome Gypsi, I'm looking forward to updates as your quilt progresses.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9361216

Kayla's stocking is ~30" long so she can "grow into it". We plan to stick her back in it next year!!!

Need to do outdoor "work" again today. COLD front coming thru Thur PM so Fri I'll be ready to sit inside & finish the last few sewing projects.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9361225

Welcome Gypsi, my name is Linda, so glad you joined us. Love that center, and can't wait to see more of it!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 18, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9361258

Morning all

welcome Gypsi, my name is Betty!

love your piece, very creative and great choice in colors..will love to see your progress

Don't tell me I won't have sunshine when I arrive in Florida..wearing a sad face!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9361303

Oh, plenty of sunshine just some cooler temps. Of course, coming from way up North, you will not think it COLD at all and get a chuckle at all the locals wearing winter coats.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9361421

Santa Dresden is FINALLY finished, and on his way to my sister in Massachusetts :)

I gave him a fuzzy pom pom... and drats! forgot to take a picture of the back. I made the baking a circle, if you look close you can see the stitches, at bottom of wedges...

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT         

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 18, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9361427

That is ever special Thunder, Just loving him.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 18, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9361444

Beautiful Thunder..she will absolutely love it!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9361447

Thunder that came out so pretty! She will love it!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9361483

Thunder - you definitely win the price for the best Santa this season. Way too cute!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9361489

absolutely the best christmas gift.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

December 18, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9361515

Thank you for all the welcomes! I've got a coldfront coming in too, so I've got to go out and re-seed my broccoli, chard and carrots that got frozen out when I didn't cover for the last one. Just plant and cover, and hope. When it gets cold and work slows down I quilt.

Grandbabies - Tinkerbell, now 4 months, daughter of my oldest daughter (aka Twin A).
Holding hammer and drill, oldest granddaughter, now 12, helped me build the chicken coop and a kitchen cabinet., daughter of Twin B. *(I have twins who are 29 years old)
Bailey - Baby - walker - now 2.5 years old, youngest daughter's daughter,
and one grandson, 8 years old, son of Twin B, with Bailey again. If she sees a camera she hops right on in the pic, but hates to pose.

Thumbnail by Gypsi   Thumbnail by Gypsi   Thumbnail by Gypsi   Thumbnail by Gypsi   

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 18, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9361539

Delicious grands Gypsy, Nice number to keep you hopping and busy sewing.

I'm Karen BTW, I live in northern Michigan so I don't wanna hear about your cold. LOL

This message was edited Dec 18, 2012 2:34 PM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9361549

Gypsi, lovely grandchildren. I am Marion, sometimes MaidM., and I live in northern Florida almost to the Georgia line. Yes, it can get cold but currently just chilly. I have 2 granddaughter ages 7 and 10.

Love the picture of the quilt and will be looking forward to seeing the progress as you go.

Betty, I don't think you need to worry about the sun or being warn in Ft. Myers...sister tells me daily how warm it is where she is and that is 30 miles north. Still undecided when we will leave as Kim is some better but not enough to travel. What a bummer.As usual we don't dare go down with her sick. Can't run the risk of bringing in something else to mom. Will keep you updated.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9361556

We keep going back & forth.
Head over to the new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1291059/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America