Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Orchids: December's Holiday Orchids

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 235, Views: 1,566
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9346794

Time to start a new thread for December. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286430/. Please join us in sharing your December orchid blooms here.

I'll start off with Lc. Loog Tone X Lc. Hwa Yuan Glory. I like it because it is different. The petals curve backwards, almost folding double, giving the flower a triangular appearance.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9346798

My Dendrobium Chan Chao is blooming. Gotta love the color on this one.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica      

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9346800

Jim - the Den reminds me of a HI lei...
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9346802

Lc. Irene's Song 'Monclair' is blooming. I've had her for quite a few years and the plant is huge and in need of repotting. The problem is it is already in the largest orchid pot I can find so I'll have to make my own. To make matters worse, the roots are growing fast to the old pot so I'll have to smash it with a hammer.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9346805

I'll have to look that one up, Jean.

The flowers on this Epic. Haiku Twinkie 'Red Elf' look so delicate and the tend to droop on weak stems.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9346808

Here is Wilsonara Red Stars 'Rooster'.

Jim

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 1, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9346810

Another month closer to retirement! Here are 2 just bought in the past week:

A NoId Home depot Phal. that I'm going to mount and a Mounted Oncidium Yellow "Twinkle" with 3 spikes!

This message was edited Dec 1, 2012 10:12 AM

Thumbnail by tommyr2006   Thumbnail by tommyr2006         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9346811

There is a brand new bloom on my Psychopsis mariposa 'Green Valley'. This is the big Phychopsis with flowers about three times the size of my regular ones.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9346814

Tommy, did you get that mounted Onc.at Home Depot as well? I've never seen a mounted orchid there.

Then there is Epicattleya (Epc.) Lime Sherbert X Bc. Little Stars which is just covered in blooms.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9346818

Carol's Gerberara 'Snow Ballet', Florida edition, is also blooming up a storm.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9346819

It looks like Blc. Golden Tang is going to be one of those orchids that is always in bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9346820

Here are the new blooms on Blc Chia Lin 'New City' . This is a large Catt. with great fragrance. I think it should be in everyone's collection.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9346821

And David Sander is putting on a fourth bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9346822

Epic. Volcano Trick Fireball continues to fill out its spike. Epicatts really do well for me and I like the blooms.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9346823

The last one for now is Miltassia Golden Spider 'Copius'

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9346824

I dunno, Jim. Looks to me like you dressed all those pretty little Dens up to look like reindeer. It's got antlers for petals, must be related to Den. stratiodes, d'you think?
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9346835

Yes, Elaine, they might be related. If I remember correctly, the "antlers" are more erect and the sepals are more twisted on Den. stratiodes. Probably some color differences on the lip as well. Both are very nice.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9347147

Better lock your doors Jim - I like that Lc. Irene's Song 'Monclair' an awful lot, LOL! The first cattleya my Dad got broke right through the pot and when I moved back home I did my best to split it into three. This was years ago before I knew anything about orchids, but they managed to survive despite my best attempts. Hope you have just a regular pot and not a cute one, though. I'd hate to lose a nice one.

Melanie
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 1, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9347234

hawkarica,
No, I got that twinkle off of eBay from Abita Orchids. My local Home depot usually carries only Phals. Sadly.

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 1, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9347236

MaypopLaurel,

Thanks for the comment! Good to hear from you!
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 2, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9347782

Encyclia cochleata doing it's thing as usual. It always has three spikes

Maxillaria cucullata. Picked this up as a bare root in a bin for $8 from Andy's at a show this past October. Stuck it in a 4" orchid terra cotta with fine bark and here it is 6 weeks later.

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9347867

Tommy, I have a similar Oncidium called Onc. Gold Dust. I really like Onc. Fragrant Fantasy, a white version with a golden center and lovely fragrance.

Ted, my Prosthecea (Encyclia) has finished blooming for now but I was noticing new sheathes forming. Do like that Max. a lot!

This is Cattleya Chocolate Drop x Potinara Netrasiri in from the greenhut to be enjoyed. There is a faint rosy fragrance going on.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9347872

Little Ascocenda Jiraprapra x Vanda Charles Goodfellow. Like Mjs, I got this four or so years ago as a baby in a bag. This is the first bloom. It got burned a few years ago before I had the right shade cloth.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9347874

Impossible to photograph well without a tripod, the tiny bell flowers of Pleurothallis Mathildae nod downward. They are delicately striped with lavender inside. This one continues to put out new spikes and flowers throughout winter.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel         

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9347877

The second spike on this NOID Catt is now mature. It perfumes the greenhut.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9347878

Gastrochilus dasypogon is now covered with mature flowers.They have turned a very deep gold.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9347879

The second and smaller Acampe papillosa, affectionately known as baby Jim, is going strong as is the mother plant not shown here.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9347882

Vanda Manuvadee x Fuch's Delight. This one is blooming on a large keiki. Sometimes I can get the mother plant to bloom after, making for a very long season. I'd like to divide it but despite its size there are currently only roots at the base of the mother plant. The last photo is not doctored. It looks very blue in certain light. The first two photos were taken at a different time of day.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2012 5:49 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9347886

I spotted this little mop head on Bulbophyllum medusae today. I can get it to bloom several flowers, but have not been able to do it all at once where it makes for a striking specimen. It is still a relatively young plant.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9347891

Both spikes on Brassavola cordata are almost fully open. It will be a while before the flowers mature.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9347897

Masdevallia atropurpurea has been both an aggressive grower and bloomer. It too produces flowers over a long season. This Masdie made it through our wicked three digit summer. I periodically refresh the sphagnum on mounts by pulling away the old stuff with hemostats and retying new sphag to the mount.

Need photos yes? lol

This message was edited Dec 2, 2012 5:05 PM

This message was edited Dec 2, 2012 5:51 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9347900

Here you go. Masdevallia atropurpurea

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9347904

This is a slower than watching paint dry orchid...Aerangis citrata. It won best in Vanda class two years ago at the Atlanta show. It is forming spikes now and won't bloom until (hopefully) mid-March. I love the tiny Aerangis.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9347908

What a variety Laurel! I love the colors on your Gastrochilus dasypogon, but they're all beautiful!

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9347939

Thank you, Melanie. My bloomers usually pick up this time of year since I purposely collected Fall and Winter blooming plants the first few years I started growing again. I still do that since we are away working on the veggie garden at Maypop for much of the summer. Something to get me through the long, dreary days of winter. Nothing like Tommy's though. :)

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9347954

Oo, that Pleurothallis is a sweet thing. Love the color of the Asocenda cross, too.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9348016

Well I've missed a bunch, and have some catching up to do.
Got several blooming and spiking but no pics...I need to remedy that !

Jim, your posts of B. David Sander have put me on the hunt.

Laurel, Ascocenda Jiraprapra x Vanda Charles Goodfellow is still going strong for me and one I'm really enjoying.
I like the little Pleurothallis also. I need to go back to the Nov. thread and look...I'm sure I've missed some lovely's !!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9348023

Thanks, Elaine. I'm feeling a bit guilty for not posting much lately. I can't say that things will get better. I am thankfully busy with work as the holidays near and will stay busy with work through mid-January.

Did I say we are expecting a grand here? Our daughter and SIL have announced great expectations. We were more than a bit taken aback with the speedy announcement. Just getting used to them being married this past July.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 2, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9348161

Just ordered a Den. "Liberty White" in spike! Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday! I am STOKED!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9348175

Great news, Laurel. Congratulations.

Melanie, I may be heading down to Sarasota to meet Elaine and look for a David Sander. I'd be happy to pick one up for you if you want. They seem to be hard to find in the Tampa area.

Laurel, beautiful show. I love the Ascocenda cross and a big cheer for blooming the medusae. Mine has been setting there for three years just looking at me.

I'm just back from a garden club Christmas party. I ate too much but the wine was sweet. :>)

Jim

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 2, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9348182

Thanks for a great photo show, Laurel. Really enjoyed it
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9348424

I'm just hoping mine have survived my week away. Left the cat sitter watering (spraying) instructions so can only hope they are all happy. A few had spikes so perhaps I'll get home to some new blooms.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9348881

Got out and took some pictures today.
Wonder why it rearranges the pictures ?

First one was supposed to be B. nodosa Lady of the night...not like any I've seen before so I don't know. It's actually a little more of that butter yellow than it looks on the screen.
2nd is BC Little Lulu, getting darker as it ages, blooms have been on for over a month now.
3rd is B. nodosa Remar x nodosa Mas Mejor

Got several budding and spiking in the Greenhouse so will finally have something to post !

Jim if you find an extra David Sander I'd be interested also.

This message was edited Dec 3, 2012 4:14 PM

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies      

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9348941

OK, MJ, I'll look. Nice Brassavolas

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 3, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9348957

Nice show, Laurel! I especially like the Gastrochilus and the Vanda...and congratulations Grandma.

mjsponies, love those first two Brassavloas!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9349008

Thanks Jim, but I'm not allowed any more orchids for a while. I'm running out of room! I'm trying to devise some kind of hanging bar system where I can hang my vandas but not knock myself in the head with them.

Melanie
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9349020

This month has really started off with a bang. I'm here just enjoying the pictures. Thanks goodness I don't have to pick a favorite. That would be impossible.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9349035

I have a bud on my Bc. Little Lulu, sure hope it's as pink as yours, Mj. They're lovely!

Melanie, didn't we tell you the orchid shack wasn't big enough?? Ask Santa for an add-on?

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9349039

I don't think it would ever be big enough, LOL!

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9349111

Thanks Carol. I've been holding out on you guys, but I've been a GM for seven years. We have a thirty eight year old son. I'd rather everyone think I'm twenty-something. I'd settle for thirty-something. Okay, forty-something but no more! BTW, I found an Isochilus in the greenhut today after saying I had none. This must mean I have too many orchids. lol

Mjs, very nice Brassavolas. I can't pick a favorite. They are all nice.

P4P, thanks for stopping by to peek.

Mellie, my Vandas hang on black extendable cafe rods from IKEA. They weigh nothing and the rods are cheap.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9349334

Thanks on the Brassies...if someone said I could only keep one I'd have a hard time too...but BC Little LuLu would be at the top of the list. Not as fragrant as the others tho so maybe not...See I can't make up my mind either.

I use those black rods also in my greenhouse to make extra hanging space in between the rafters.

Laurel, LOL at you finding the Isochilus...I "lose" plants periodically...wandering around wondering where I put so and so...and have actually bought a hoya once that I forgot I already had.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9349590

My noid Brassavola changing color, and a new flower with no spots on the lip. All previous flowers have looked like the one at right.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9349592

Elaine the blooms on the right look like B. Yellow Bird. Mines budding up too. It's one of my favorites...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9349776

Yep, I think that's what it is. If you Google Yellow Bird, the Flickr pictures of it show it with and without spots on the lip, too.

I think it's so great because of the big color change it goes through.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9350266

My Phal is looking "less than happy". Seems the lower (older) leaves are just not as green and plump as the newer ones. Should I just cut them off????
I think they all survived my being away for the week. Watered everyone this AM.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9350327

I'm not a big fan of wacking off leaves unless it is really necessary. If they are still green and black rot is not working its way back into the plant, let the leaf be. You will know when it is time to take if off.

Out in the OC, Epidendrum ciliare is blooming nicely.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9350333

Den. antennatum is one of my largest species orchids:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9350459

Epi. Lime Drop X Epi. schomburgkii is blooming away.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9350460

Dendrobium Chan Chao has filled out her spike.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9350464

Yet more new blooms on Lc. George Baldwin X C. Trithena. What an incredible orchid!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9350471

Slc. India Rose Sherwood is blooming again. She has long roots like a Vanda and seems to want to bloom twice a year. I included a plant picture.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9350482

Bc. Maikai 'Spotted Star' is just covered with blooms.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9350484

Potinara Hoku Gem 'Freckles' has put out a new spike and the first bud has just opened.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9350490

Schomburgkia undulata got my attention when it put up a 7 foot spike two years ago. Last year I got nothing but this year it has three spikes, each over three feet long and growing. It will be interesting to see how tall they get. I don't expect blooms soon as it takes time for them to grow these tall spikes.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9350502

Here is one I really like, Brassolaelia Memoria Bernice Foster.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9350522

Out in a big pot by an oak tree is Cym Milton Carpenter 'Everglades Gold'. It's the first Cym I've had in bloom in a while.

Jiim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 5, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9350600

Jim love that Slc. India Rose Sherwood.
My L. Purp 'alba' just opened 3 scented flowers.

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy         

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 5, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9350683

Jim, I really like 'Bernice Foster'! I've got buds on my Cyms, but short spikes and not many of them this year.

Bree, that L. purp. alba is really pretty!
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9350723

OK, Jim you definitely have the most posts so far this month. (stirring the pot) Guess MayPop just hasn't had time to post.
I must say India Red Sherwood would be one of my favorites. I love the color red.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9350755

No competition here; just friends enjoying a hobby together.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9350802

Yes, for sure we are all in this together. Jim has a beautiful collection and has done an awesome job of keeping us up to date on the monthly threads. I do appreciate that my contributions are enjoyed. Thanks bunches.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9350990

We can never see enough pictures of your gorgeous orchids, Jim. These forums would die if everyone just posted chit-chat, and never put up pictures.

Peg, roll back up to Dec. 2nd to see Laurel's last wonderful show of her orchids.

Love that white Laelia too, Bree.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 5, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9350998

Wonderful show, Jim. My favs are Epidendrum ciliare & Potinara Hoku Gem 'Freckles'. L. Purp 'alba' is beautiful, Bree,
Think I'll have one or two to shoot this weekend. Waiting on some cyms, dens, onc and Shelob to pop
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9351096

Since I have just a small collection, and most are "common", I look forward to seeing all the pics posted. I jot down names of ones I really like.

They plan to start work on the sun porch next week. If all goes as hoped, I'll be able to keep them out there all winter so they will get plenty of natural light.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9351553

Good luck on the construction, Jean. Mine was to be finished in three weeks and it took them 6 months.

I have a big Vanda just beginning to open today. I'll have pictures in a day or two.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9351570

Jean, I do the same thing - jotting down names of the orchids I have to have!

Jim, I like all the orchids you posted. Very nice and a good variety!

I've still got the two vandas in spike but the buds are starting to pop out. I told them if they hurry up I can take them to the orchid meeting in two weeks. I don't know if they'll listen, though, LOL! I also noticed today that one of my cattleyas has a couple of buds on it so that got me all excited. It was one I bought in the spring so I'm glad to see it blooming again. I'm happy when I see any of them reblooming! It makes me think I must be doing something right.

Melanie
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 6, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9351629

Jim,
WOW, just WOW!

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9351674

Yes, I see laurel has a georgous red cat also. Would love to have a red vanda if there is such a plant. DH says I am on a flower budget. If only he knew.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9351701

There are certain no such terms in the context of orchid speak. The word "budget" is one. Also, a DH who uses the term "budget" in re: orchids is just H and not D. That's why mine is referred to as SO (Significant Other) so issues such as who gets orchids and when never get confused. No question who wears the terracotta pots in this house!

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 8:31 PM

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 8:31 PM
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 6, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9351743

LOL! Well said, Laurel!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9351754

I'm rolling on the floor here.

Peg, stay tuned as the big Vanda I spoke of is a red one.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9351829

Woo, hoo. Go Laurel!

Hey, would you speak to my Scottish ancestors - they are my deterrent to spending money on orchids.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9352233

Peg asked about a red Vanda and as luck would have it, I had one ready to pop. Here is Vanda Sinlak X Vanda Bitz's Heartthrob. The flowers are still cupped a little and will flatten with time. If the third photo doesn't do it for you, then I give up.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9352259

Ooh..vandas! I'm still waiting for my two to pop but they're getting closer. I can see the color on the little "knobs" that form.

I spent a little time this morning cleaning up my orchids. Just getting rid of the spent blooms and cutting off some dead parts. I also moved the smaller orchids to the front row so I can keep a better eye on them. Everybody looks spiffy now and I even managed to make some room for a couple more orchids, LOL!

Here's a few that are on their last legs (bloom-wise). The first is Blc Goldenzelle 'Frank Smith' x Pot Marion Smith 'Krull-Smith'. The second is C. Isle of Skye 'Nereid' which everyone seemed to like the first time around. And lastly, Blc Mem Ray Hashach x Blc Miya's Gold.

I had to include a photo of the cute little buds coming out on one of my cattleyas. I can't wait until it blooms!

Happy orchiding!
Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 7, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9352371

Melanie- Blc Mem Ray Hashach x Blc Miya's Gold is nicely weird and i love Goldenzelle.
Love the Vanda Jim!

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9352463

JIm, the second picture had me sold with the roots just dangling on that Vanda.
Mellie, just lovely. Do you grow these in the greenhouse? I'd have to have them where I can see them all day long, but with the mornings in the high 30's, I have no idea how I would do it...no screened in porch or whatever..

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9352518

Peg, I have a screened in enclosure where I keep them. It's not really a greenhouse; it's just covered in screen like on the patio. I wish I could see them all day long but I visit often!

Melanie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9352809

My Vanda is hanging over a window. I just spritz away & then wipe off the window (when I'm motivated). So far it seems to be happy.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 8, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9353088

Blc Annie Belle is a big spreading Catt with a high number on the floof scale. I've had her for a long time and she blooms every year at this time. She has opened two flowers today with three more large buds in the cue.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 8, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9353253

Ooh! You know I'm high on the floof factor. Such a pretty color, too! What a nice orchid to look forward to each year.

Melanie
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 9, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9353798

Liparis Caespitosa full of buds.
Bratonia Shelob
and more spikes and flowers on masdevallia ibanez - behar speckles

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310      

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9353843

Ted, please keep us in the loop on the Liparis. It looks like a beauty in the making. Nice Bratonia and I love the mount for your masdevallia. Good show.

Quiet here this afternoon so I slipped out and took another pic of Blc Annie Belle. Four of five buds are now open.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 9, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9353867

my dendrobium burana emerald is still going good.

Thumbnail by breeindy

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 11, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9355619

Lc. 'Koolau seagulls' X Slc. 'golden treat'

Thumbnail by OCCAROL

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9355673

How bright and cheery looking that is, Carol!

I've still got two vandas ready to pop. I can see the color on the buds; I'm just waiting for them to open. It's kind of fun to go out there and see the progression each day.

Melanie
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 11, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9355677

Yeh. I've got several things in bud too, but they're taking their sweet time.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9355685

Bree, every time you show that D. burana enerald I like it a little more. Great color.

Carol, very nice Catt cross. Interesting lip and nice red color.

I took a field trip yesterday to go down to Sarasota to pick up a rare palm a grower had found for me and to find a David Sanders for Kathy. While there, I picked up three more orchids for myself. I was going to hook up with Elaine but when she got wind I was coming, she left the country. :>) Anyway, this palm lady lives about 30 miles east of Sarasota on several acres. It is a pretty piece of property but way out in the country. When I rang the doorbell, a hired hand answered and he looked terrified. He asked me if I was good with snakes which I view as always being a bad question. My next door neighbor called me in the middle of the night a couple of months ago and asked the same thing. Next thing I knew I was in his dining room in my night clothes playing hide and seek with a big black garden snake. To my advantage, snakes don't move well on porcelain tile and I managed to get him out the door. Anyway, I asked the guy what the problem was and he said there was a snake of unknown type under the chair in the computer room. I went in to look and sure enough, there was a 30 inch long coral snake (yes, red touching yellow) on the tile floor. That started my adrenaline pumping and increased my heart rate substantially. My first instinct was to get the heck out of there but this guy was scared out of his mind and saying how I was sent there by God and all of that. So, I asked him for a machete, thanked the Lord for the tile floor and dropped to my knees. It took about 5 minutes, seemed like an hour, but the snake made a wrong move and lost his head. I know some of you are upset at that and truth is I would have gone to great lengths to save a garden snake or a rat snake but this fellow was not to be messed with and I didn't want him loose in the lady's house. It turns out the lady had forgot I was coming but this guy called her, found out where my palm was and I left with it in toe. I think he shook my hand twenty times before I got out of there. I'll post my new orchids later.

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 11, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9355695

P. St Swithin x Moquettianum is neally opened its 1st flower. The stems nice and straight, even without a stake.
Second flower on my P. Pinnochio x Bellatulum 'album' has opened now the 1st has died and fallen off.
Jim yeah the flowers on that den. last forever.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2012 4:31 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy      

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 11, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9355834

Love those Paphs, Bree! I have a couple in bud. I haven't killed them so far...

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9355860

I can't get Paphs to rebloom for Poo...

Jim, your pic of Cymbidium reminded me to go check mine, C. Sara Jean Ice Cascade had 3 spikes, one with tons of buds and 2 coming on.

B. Yellow Bird has one bud about to open and more coming

Bree, I like that dendrobium burana !!

We got a grand total of 1/2 in. of rain from all this mess that's been going thru FL...oh well better than nothing, maybe ??? more tomorrow. We sure could use it.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9356286

Hi all, great snake story, Jim! I wish I'd gone with you on that trip. Adrenaline junkie here, y'know. Next time you visit the palm lady, I am on board. We could hit Palmer Orchids to look at Neos as well. They are "way out" east of Bradenton too.

My great adventure this week was a nice encounter with a 6ft. hammerhead while diving on the North Wall of Gr. Cayman. Luckily I did not have to cut off his head with a machete. He cruised by in leisurely fashion about 20ft. away. What a thrill. I was so pumped I was banging on my tank to get the attention of the others, and didn't get a picture.Such an airhead.

We will likely visit the botanical garden tomorrow so I will try to post some pics soon.

Glad to hear we got some rain, my garden will be happy. I just hope it stays warm-ish after this next front goes by. Ground and gulf water are still pretty warm so not likely to drop temps too much, right?

Elaine
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9356421

Elaine, I'm glad you are back safe and sound. I have a couple of new ones to show from my Sarasota trip. First up is Blc. Phu Lin X B. cucullata which was hybridized by this grower but has yet to be registered. The color and form just blew me away.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9356428

The second one that jumped out at me was a Brassavola species called B. glauca but now called Rhyncholaelia glauca. I love the light greenish yellow flower.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9356748

I'm caught up in holiday work and celebration. Been using the bit of time available to enjoy everyone's photos.

Bree, your Paphs are always gorgeous.

Ted, I have several Liparis. They are good looking plants when not in bloom and fun to grow.

Carol, I'm not usually wild about art shades but your Lc is very interesting. Red is always an eye catcher.

Jim, the R. glauca is killer. It's been on my list for years. Beautiful presentation on the mount.

Ascocenda Udomchai Beauty is opening. It's got a yellow parent and a red parent. Rather than being orange it's an airbrushed looking red over yellow. Maybe dusky rose would be the best description of the color.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9356749

Ascocenda Jiraprapra x Vanda Charles Goodfellow now in full bloom but only three flowers. I like the ridges in the petals and sepals. Mine is somewhat green which is very pleasing.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9356752

I think the previous photos were older. Here it is as of yesterday. Sorry.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9356759

Random photos of Vanda denisoniana x Ascocenda Susamran Spot. Very red spots on yellow and a very denisonia shape to the flowers and the way they present.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 12, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9356837

Nice show Laurel. Really like Ascocenda Udomchai Beauty

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9356844

Jim, I love the shapes on both of those flowers; very interesting.

Laurel, all three of those are winners in my book! Love the spots on the third one.

Melanie
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 12, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9356846

I love all those vandacious orchids that don't do well here!
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 12, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9356860

You got that right, Carol. Oh, how I have tried. Only the neo's seem to do well for me. I bought a Ascocentrum miniatum some 2 years ago and I can count on one hand the number of LEAVES it has added. lol
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 12, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9356872

Have you noticed the absence of Vandas at the shows Ted? There must be a reason...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9357048

My Wils Castle Issa Hilo Bay is starting to bloom. I've had her for at least 2 years & this is the 1st time she has re-bloomed. And has 4 nice long shoots. I'll attempt pics later but am terrible at getting them from camera to computer.

I re-potted my sad looking Phal yesterday. Cut off quite a few dead roots but there seem to be a fair number of white, plump, healthy looking ones. Now to see if he makes it. Was just a grocery store Orchid but bloomed for 4 mo.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9357100

The reason there are no Vandas in California is because Laurel and I have them all here in the Southeast. :>)

Nice show, Laurel. I especially like Ascocenda Jiraprapra x Vanda Charles Goodfellow due to the splendid yellow.

We had a good rain yesterday so I spent some time in the OC looking around. Here are some of the sights: First up is Brassocattleya Maikai 'Mayumi'

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9357107

Over in big Catt. country is Blc. Goldenzelle 'Frank Smith', Lc. Irene's Song, Blc Annie Belle, and Blc. Chia Lin 'New City':

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9357110

This is Epicattleya (Epc.) Lime Sherbert X Bc. Little Stars and Bc. Maikai 'Spotted Star'

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9357113

This is Potinara Hoku Gem 'Freckles'

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9357127

Here are a couple more: My old friend Rhynchovola David Sander and Epc. Volcano Trick Fireball.

Jim

This message was edited Dec 13, 2012 9:54 AM

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9357141

Lots of red over in Vanda row: Vanda Sinlak X Vanda Bitz's Heartthrob and Vanda Mae Sai X Vanda Kenji.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9357144

NOID Dendrobiums brighten the view as well.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9357152

If I choose multiple photos to upload, I never know the order in which they will appear. That causes me to have to go back and juggle the text. I hope they fix that.

Miltassia Golder Spider 'Copius' is still blooming as is that fancy Degarmoara Flying High

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9357157

Epidendrum ciliare is becoming a favorite and Carol's Florida Gerberara Snow Ballet is just ridicules.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9357158

Everytime I think Blc. Golden Tang is going to rest, it puts out another spike.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9357159

Ooh, you have lots of color in your orchid collection, Jim. I'm insanely jealous of your floofy cattleyas, but I also really like that Epc. Volcano Trick Fireball. What an eye catcher!

Melanie (still waiting on her vandas to open...)
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9357176

Thanks, Melanie.

Onc Sherry Baby is blooming nicely.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9357181

Here is my prolific blooming Bc. Maikai 'Louise' :

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9357184

I'll leave you with a back lit Lc George Baldwin X C Trithena

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9357525

I've been out repotting some newer orchids today so I thought I'd take a picture of them. The first is Wilsonara Red Stars 'Rooster'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9357527

The second one is Epc. Haiku Twinkie 'Red Elf'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9357530

And finally Dendrobium Chan Chao. I know these are blooming and I usually wait to repot until they finish but these are new and were still in tiny plastic pots crammed with moss. I just couldn't take it.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9357550

I'm a sucker for fimbriated lips, Jim. And you are so right about the Vandas. At least I was thinking the same thing when I saw Carol and Ted's posts. I do try to hold steady at around twenty five. If I swap out or sell one I'll replace it. Otherwise Vanda Row is full up.

Pelatantheria insectifera keeps putting out a few blooms here and there. This is one of my favs now.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9357555

A NOID Tolumnia that blooms each year. I know I've got the tag somewhere. Pretty sure it's one of the Jairak Rainbow series.

The second Tolumnia is Tol. Golden Sunset 'Paprika Dust'. The spikes went unnoticed against the greenhut wall and now are all twisty. Oh well. Went into warfare mode with the Tolumnias after a terrible scale attack this Fall. They get into the center of the fans and kill the plant. Glad to see blooms.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9357561

Bit of orchid weirdness...Brassavola nodosa bloomed months ago but decided one more for the road would be a good idea. Even one flower smells up the greenhut. Of course there's B. cordata going on in there as well.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9357583

Looking good, Laurel. I've got 6 big Catts blooming, a couple of Vandas and some Brassavolas as well so the OC has a great fragrance too. This has been a couple of good orchid months for me. I think I have around 25 Vandas also.

Jim
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9358072

What a show it is!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9358125

Jim, so glad the OC has worked out for you. It looks like you now have a full time job. You know the problem with orchids...build it and they will come. I have not quite got a handle on how many are too many but I do know that the more I acquire the quality of care starts to decline. I have potting that should have been taken care of months ago. My Vanda count includes the larger Vanda/Ascocenda brood and not all the vandaceous relatives, many of which are only inches tall. The miniature species such as various Aerangis do well for me.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 14, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9358160

Love all those floofy catts. Jim.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 14, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9358452

Outstanding show. Thanx

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9358519

Glad you got a souvenir to remind you of Twinkies, Jim. Hostess never made anything as sweet as that little orchid, though.

We went all through the botanic park here yesterday, and once again all the orchids are finished blooming. We saw exactly two blooms even though the garden has thousands of orchids in the trees here. One day I will get here in springtime to see them in bloom. They even have two, count 'em, two Grammatophylum scriptum plants in 3ft baskets. They still had the spent flower spikes on them from the last bloom cycle - arg.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9358862

Work is to begin Mon to convert my screened porch into a sun porch. My Orchids can hardly wait to get back out there to the good light.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9359309

Jean, be sure to keep us posted on the progress.

Jim
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9359617

I need to snap some before shots to compare to the "done" shots.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9360026

One new one opening up today. It is a semi-alba form of the popular Laelia anceps called: L. anceps v. veitchiana 'Fort Caroline' HCC/AOS

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9360060

Jean, do document the progress for us. Bet you are excited.

Jim, your L. anceps cross is very photogenic. Looks like you've got another spike coming.

We are at Maypop for a long weekend. I was able to work in the garden yesterday afternoon and cut grass just in time to beat the rain. Most of today was either raining or pea soup fog. The mountain mists are beautiful, the view of the pond magical, and it's been nice to break from the outdoor work to cook special meals and sit by the fire and quilt. Very peaceful.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9360118

Laurel,
Sounds Wonderful !! Family here all day, Pre Christmas barbeque as the weather is nice and warm. It's Brassavola row here, but no time to take pics. Will try to do soon, but am wiped out for this evening. Love your little Jairak Rainbow Tol. William Wallace is full of blooms right now, need to get a pic of him also.

Jim, You keep posting pics of orchids that I end up putting on my wish list such as Epc. Haiku Twinkie 'Red Elf' and Slc. India Rose Sherwood Just loverly !!!
Brassolaelia Memoria Bernice Foster looks quite a bit like B. Yellow Bird.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9360151

Jim, Laurel, Ted, dizzy, do you grow anything other than orchids. I can understand why you chose orchid as your true love.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9360168

I have a good size vegetable garden at our place in N. GA where we grow many heirloom and open pollinated varieties. It occupies more of my energy than orchids. About half an acre in fruit and veggies. It requires that we travel back and forth weekly during the three seasons we normally grow. This is one of the few years I did not plant a Fall garden. I used to do a lot of landscape gardening but our homes' landscapes are now mature and I no longer feel the need to perpetually arrange and rearrange. Friends gift me interesting perennials, native species plants and terrestrial orchids that I enjoy adding to our seventeen acres of natural landscape.

I minimize the variety of non-orchid plants grown with orchids because cheap and easily replaceable house plants often carry insects and diseases that spread to not so cheap or easily replaceable orchids.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9360263

Peg, you can see lots of pictures of my other flowers and plants over on the Tropicals forum. I am a Master Gardener and proud keeper of a gold-standard Florida Friendly yard here in Sarasota. We have about a 12,000 sq. ft. lot with mostly shifting shade from four huge oak trees. I got rid of all the lawn areas a square yard or two at a time until now the only mowing required around our house is the road verge belonging to the County. My dear neighbor mows it for me with his rider mower in exchange for free well water. Ornamentals consist of mostly perennials, shrubs and drought tolerant vines with mulch and gravel pathways. Cane begonias are a favorite under the oak trees. We also have a little water garden with water lilies and iris in the entry to the front door of the house that, thank goodness, is in a nice state of balance and requires very little maintenance now. I have a shrinking sunny area in the back yard where I grow veggies in Earth Boxes from September until about May or June. I have ripe tomatoes on the vine at this moment, in fact. My brother got to enjoy the first broccoli of the season out of my garden last week while we were away. A large raised bed hosts a variety of herbs - fennel is a current favorite and I love having an array of basils to choose from. I also grow fruit - mango, lychee, passion fruit, figs, limes, kumquat and I'm making an attempt at dragon fruit. (mostly for the flowers) I have at least eight different types of gingers which were my passion before I got bit by the orchid bug a few years ago. In summer, the yard becomes an overgrown flowery jungle, and I manage between swims to keep the pathways clear until it is cool enough to restore order in the fall. I reassured my garden helper that the plants slow down and the gardeners speed up as the weather cools, thankfully. I also have a collection of brugmansias - Angel's Trumpet - of different colors and forms in pots. They are nematode magnets and don't do well in the ground here, so the pots get bigger, and they migrate around the yard during the year for the best light conditions. See pic for the one inside the pool cage that is in bloom right now.

I have no plants inside the house at all, unless one of my scented cattleyas is in bloom. They attract the raccoons with their spice-cookie scent so I bring them indoors while they are blooming. Otherwise, I feel that indoor plants invite unwanted insect guests.

I have another garden in Salt Lake City at my daughter's house that I visit two or three times a year. She and her DH are not gardeners, but try hard to maintain it between my visits. They bought a brand-new house without any vestige of landscaping and could not afford time or money for it so I shaped a fairly low maintenance garden for them and we had a lot of fun doing it. Again, mostly perennials, ground covers, a few roses and hardy shrubs there. Small raised beds for a few veggies and strawberries are a treat.

You had to ask . . .

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 16, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9360294

Laurel is right about mixing plants, so anything I pick up goes to a quarantine area AWAY from the orchids. I have been successful so far doing it that way.
I have a pretty eclectic collection. There are about 18 begonias, mostly the cane type, that form a kind of low fence around the orchids. Also some Tilly’s. Next to the orchid area is my desert area, a lot of bromeliads, cacti, succulents etc. Throw in a Brug, several Elephant ear types, Azaleas, Carnivorous/bog, Lillys, Amaryllis, Gardenia, a half barrel with an elf garden, Aralia. I use DG’s journal to keep track of what’s where, so you can see a listing if you want.
During the summer it's also tomatoes and strawberries

This message was edited Dec 16, 2012 9:03 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9360412

Elaine - if you feel the need to start a new garden, feel free to take over my yard!!!! I'm in the process of turning 1/2 my back yard into a garden. Everytime I plan to get a load of top soil, there is something blocking access to my back yard. So now it will be a project for January.

My Orchids all live indoors. Over the winter, I plan to create a shade house off the shed so some of the larger guys can hang out there come next summer.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9360644

I'm a Master Gardener as well and live on an acre here in Florida. I collect rare palms, cycads, fruits and roses. My yard looks like a botanical garden and takes a lot of my time. Like Laurel, the yard is becoming mature so I hope the work load decreases. We used to have a thread on this forum devoted to the other plants we grow but it has fallen by the wayside.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9360948

I've been lucky to have a tour of Jim's beautiful garden. It's like a mini Versailles. Only much more interesting, jmho.

Jean, LoL I've got too much garden going already, sorry! Aside from the two described above, I'm helping with an elementary school vegetable garden just a few blocks away. That has turned out to take a lot more of my time than I had figured. So much fun, though. We harvested potatoes, onions, carrots and spinach today. Kids will make "Stone Soup" tomorrow.

Hope you'll all tolerate one more shot of my funny little "maybe Yellow Bird". It's turned completely orange now. The flowers sure last a lot longer in cool weather - I thought they'd all be gone by now but they're going strong. Sorry about the fuzzy pic, taken when it was almost dark. Sure glad the days start getting longer this weekend!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9361597

Jean, did you ever see the pics of the greenhut when it was more like a pergola on the deck? I used two rolls of nylon window screen over and down the exterior and covered it in 6 mil plastic in cold weather. It allowed me to keep the orchids out from April 'til November here in 7b. Bet that would work for you. I did a whole photo thing on how we built it using two black shelving units available at the BB stores. We could even heat it using a box heater and an outdoor extension cord. Shoot! Don't make me go looking for those pics. I'mnot good at DG research.

Paph. Petula is opening. I'm hoping for a later bloom from a newer growth. Last year there were two simultaneous blooms. I sold a division three years ago. The new owner brought it to AOS judging. It got an AM (Award Of Merit for those not into the abbs.) for a single bloom. I'll repot her this Spring.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9361600

Oncidium Gold Dust is a very fragrant Twinkle type. You can stand several feet away and smell those small flowers. I had Onc. Fragrant Fantasy, a white one, and lost it. That was my fav. This one was divided x3 last Spring. It usually has many more spikes.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9361604

One bitty flower on Epidendrum porpax. This was a tiny gift last year from Steve Arthur of Steve Arthur Orchids. This mat forming orchid makes a beautiful specimen when mature. http://www.orchidspecies.com/epporpox.htm This is an easy one for those interested in species minis.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9361613

Ascocenda Udomchai Beauty is now fully open. The color in the first photo is most accurate. I had not noticed the purple showing up in the second photo. It is now a rusty shade of brown. I like it though Ascocenda flowers go directionally where ever they want. That's not to everyone's taste.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9361616

Revisiting Vanda Manuvadee x Fuch's Delight, now mature. The color has continued to darken and become more "blue". These are my largest Vanda flowers currently blooming.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9361624

I missed photographing that Bulbo medusae when fully open and almost missed this one. It's one I got at a raffle and labeled Bulbo fascinator 'Crownpoint'. It might be more correctly Bulbophyllum fascinator x Bulbo annomoense 'Crownpoint'. Very long tails that were already browning.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9361625

Today's NOID Tolumnia is now looking sweet.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9361629

The spikes on Tolumnia Sunset 'Paprika Dust' are growing through another Tolumnia so they don't look as weird and twisty. Many more flowers open now.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9361752

Love the doodaflatchies on that Bulbo!

That's my favorite word in Orchidese.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9362133

Laurel, great show overall but that Paph photo is brilliant. You must have returned to your photo school for graduate classes. Outstanding. I also like the Epidendrum porpax. The Bulbo looks like my Bulb fascinator.

Newly open for me this morning is Lc Warneri - purpurata 'Brazilian' X B. nodosa. I have it mounted on a square piece of tree fern and hanging from the bottle palm in the OC.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9362152

Then there is this first time bloomer for me. It is Schombodiacrium (Smbdcm) Star of Rio 'Rose' AM/AOS. Note in the picture of the plant, my bananas on the table that I just harvested. This is the second bunch this year. I had to cut it in half to lift it.

Jim

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9362168

Jim - Lc Warneri - purpurata 'Brazilian' X B. nodosa is lovely. I think you need to go on vacation & I'll come & babysit all the Orchids for you. I Promise they would all be there when you return!!!!!!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9362198

Sorry, Jean, but I'm in a non-trusting mood right now. I put a card and tin of cookies out for the trash men this morning at 5:10 AM. At 5:30 AM, the trash guys had not arrived yet but the cookies were gone. That's right, in this high-end gated community, someone stole cookies put out as a gift at 5 something in the morning. People never cease to amaze.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9362295

Jim, that's awful! Must have been the Grinch!

I agree with Jean, Lc Warneri - purpurata 'Brazilian' X B. nodosa is so beautiful. Very delicate looking.

My vanda finally started to open up! It has two buds open and four more in the process. This is Vanda Banjong Sky Blue.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9362313

Wow, that's a lovely blue Vanda Melanie! Jim, I'm on board with the delicate pink on a graceful flower of that Lc Warneri - purpurata 'Brazilian' X B. nodosa.

An absolute shame about the cookies, for sure. Are you sure it might not have been raccoons? They are much in evidence around here on trash day . . .
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9362352

Thanks, guys. No raccoons on this caper. It was a sealed tin box and good size at that. I'm thinking the newspaper guy who drives around at that time. We have cameras at the gate so we are checking if he was in here at that time.

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 19, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9362376

ohhh love that Vanda Melanie!!! Think i may have already posted this paph but another buds opening...

Thumbnail by breeindy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9362440

I agree. Melanie, that is a beautiful Vanda. Did you get it on our Apopka trip?

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9362453

Jim, I'm not sure when I bought that vanda but I think it's one of my older ones. Most of my vandas are from either Chapman's or Smiley's because they are the ones who always came to the USF plant sales. But I am looking forward to our next Apopka trip!

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9362568

Bree, that is a gorgeous Paph. Isn't it summer down under? Paphs?

Jim, Steve saw the post and said "paper guy" right off. If so, make sure you have a tin filled with coal and the appropriate card to go with it. Too bad you don't have a dog.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9362573

Jim,
Cookie thieves are the worst !!! I wrap up a box for both the Postal delivery guy as he is soooo good about calling me if there is a box with plants in it. ( We get our Mail at one of those community boxe's that you have to have a key for cause we are so far from the road). and I take a box up to the UPS place cause they are also very good to me.

AND ...Where did you get that Lc Warneri - purpurata 'Brazilian' X B. nodosa, that just shot straight up to the top of my want list...Just Lovely !!!

Mel, that's a super nice Vanda ya got there. My confidence with Vanda's is boosted since I got the Ascocenda Jiraprapra x Vanda Charles Goodfellow to bloom this year.
I'd love to find one that is more Blue than Purple.

I'm really hoping I can snag some photos' here soon, or else it will be too late...Just been super busy.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2012 7:10 AM

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 19, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9362699

Laurel yes it is summer, yeah most of my paphs do bloom in winter but not this one. I didnt get it to long ago maybe its confused still. hehe! I cant remember where it came from probably down sth where its cooler. Have to wait until it flowers next time and see if its in summer again.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9362905

This talk about Vandas blooming in the Winter had me a bit sad since the one I picked up in Apopka (my 1 & only Vanda) is just hanging there and not blooming. I was just in to give him his morning spritz and noticed what appears to be a bloom stalk emerging!!!! I am thrilled!!!! I wasn't sure he was at all happy where I have him hanging or that I was spritzing him enuf.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9362974

Jean, I've had Vandas for years that still have not bloomed. There are hybrids out there with species lineage where the color and form was desirable but the plant takes ten years or more to mature enough to bloom. Of course many hybridizers are crossing for plants that bloom earlier and more often. In general, Ascocendas and their crosses are more accommodating with blooms and handle slightly lower light.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9363014

I have two Vandas blooming and one in spike right now.

Jim
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9363075

Jim - this is the one I purchased when I was with you & Melanie. It has a tag but I've held off looking to see what it will look like. Want to be surprised.

Slab poured yesterday & now drying. Work won't start on the walls till next Wed.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9363220

See Jean, I knew you could grow one! And what fun to be surprised by what it will look like!

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9363253

Enc. atropene alba 'Jim' X Bepi. Bradley's Judy 'Spots' just started to open this spike yesterday.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9363278

That's a nice one, Jim. Are you going orchid shopping every day now?
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9363297

No, but I'm thinking about what a great life that would be. The OC is pretty full and, unless I start rearranging things, I'm out of room. The same holds true with the garden in general. There is only one orchid on the want list and I am in no hurry to get it. The orchids seem to like the OC and are blooming their hearts out. I just closed the windows as there is a cold front coming through. I can't imagine carrying all of these plants around to the garage like in the old days.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9363303

We are going down to twenty five tonight. I boosted the primary heater up today and will take the second one off the timer to run all day tomorrow because the high will only be in the mid-forties. Hopefully this too shall pass (and quickly) but it will be a chilly here for few days.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9363342

Yup, the vandas are all going inside tomorrow and everyone else is getting the blanket treatment for a few days.

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9363362

Brrr! Our lows are predicted to be only mid-40s so not too drastic yet. Gulf water is still pretty warm so that mitigates the cold air a bit.

All mine are cozied up together so that I can cover them easily for a few nights. Right now I am sweaty from fussing about outside. It is warm and muggy ahead of the front.

My "opal" Spathoglottis are still blooming like crazy with lots of buds coming along. I will have to keep them warm for sure! My Bc. Little Lulu is almost open. Not looking that luscious pink like Mj's but it may fade out to that, I hope.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9363366

I suggest you take any phals inside as well.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9363451

The phals have the mini-greenhouse shelf unit all booked up. They live there anyway, I just had to put the plastic cover on it.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9363460

My Mom has all her phals living in the master bath. They seem pretty happy there; she's only killed one, and that was her first so I forgive her, LOL!

Melanie

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9363633

We'll be getting a frost and freeze here...so not only are all the Orchids inside either the greenhouse or house, but I spent the better part of the last couple of days moving Hoyas and other tropicals inside and digging out the two trunks of blankets and flannel sheets that are stored in the barn to cover plants that are too big to move...like my 35 year old Staghorn !!...grrrr just in time for Christmas...everyone wants to know where the cookies are...no time to bake.

Elaine, the Lc Cariad's Mini Quinee you found for me last spring has 1 bud that should be opening soon.

Not a great pic but B. Yellow Bird is a happy camper.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9363649

Finally got an id on what was supposed have been B. nodosa Lady of the night, "She" is a "He" LOL Bc Bill Worsley ( B.nodosa x C. aurantia)
Is a bit more Yellow that what's showing in the pic, and cute little speckles in the throat. Very fragrant too.

Little William Thurston showing off also.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies      

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9363758

Oo, can't wait to see Mini Quinee, Mj. Your Yellow Bird sure does look a lot like my NoID, or at least some of it.

Bill Worsley is gorgeous, and aren't those little Tols amazing, all that bloom from such a tiny plant! I have a couple of spikes coming along on mine, too.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9363763

Hey, I have that Bill Worsley, too! I won it in a raffle at the orchid society meeting. It's just a baby so no blooms for a while but at least now I know what it will look like. How cool!

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9363778

I like that Bc. Bill Worsley. Very nice.

Jim

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9363815

Elaine,
Yellow Bird is a little chameleon, Petals start off a deep dusky rose, then fade and turn Yellow...
Here's a closeup of two blooms that just opened..

Thumbnail by mjsponies

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9363876

Yep, that's what my NoID does, too.

Here are pics from Dec. 4th, Dec 8th, and yesterday.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9363885

My orchids are all either brought in or tucked in. I brought all the vandas inside to the garage (that's Banjong Sky Blue in bloom). Having one of those portable clothes hanger things is nice. Then, Dad and I covered everyone else with two layers of blankets and wrapped blankets around the north side (which is also the back side) of the orchid shack. Hopefully, everyone makes it through!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong      

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9363905

Like the chameleon in all colors.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9363955

Tol. William Thurston is beautifully bloomed and such beautiful flowers.

The wind howled all night long. Limbs and airborne debris were crashing on the roof and hitting the windows. Our house is pretty much glass and our room is on the third floor. It's scary in that kind of weather. We once got hit with a tornado and the French doors next to my bed blew open. I looked like the swamp thing by the time I got out of the room; covered in leaves and greenish goo. The greenhut hung in there and was nice and toasty this morning. We surprisingly didn't loose power for more than a few minutes at a time. Temperatures are now tumbling. It's still blustery but nothing like last night and earlier today.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9363987

I closed the windows on the OC and took a nap. They are calling for a low of 42 degrees and the palms and mango tree will handle that. Lots of gusty wind out in the yard but no damage. I did find some soft scale on a Catt which I blasted with Orthene yesterday and will remove with alcohol and cotton balls now. It's nice and toasty in the OC with the sun shining brightly. I save the blanket brigade for the low 30s.

Jim

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9364102

Ummm, Inbetween finishing up moving plants, and dragging all the Plant Jammies out, Kids dropped off the Grandkids...fortunately they are the type that want to help, and can carry light plants into the barn. Now baking some cookies...and the KIDS are still out playing...LOL...it's all good, a little chilly and most definitely a mad house here, but good. Only reason I got a chance to check in is cause I was checking a recipe.

Laurel, I think I saw you in the movie Swamp Thing !!

Jim, I wish our low was going to be 42º !!

This message was edited Dec 21, 2012 6:54 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9365377

Yep, that was me...swamp thing. It was my first, and hopefully last, tornado experience. A big tornado blenderizes everything in its path so the tree leaves and debris are ground up. The smell is unreal too. It was like getting dumped with sewage. We grabbed the animals and ran down to the lowest level. We had no power for five days and could barely see out the glass walls of the house because we were covered in trees. It took a year and a half to clean up and repair the damage. We lost seven hickorys and as many oaks, all sixty or more feet. One oak was over eighty feet and left a hole in the ground the size of a large home pool. It took two days of dump trucks dumping and workmen scurrying with wheelbarrows just to fill that one hole. We had cast iron lawn furniture out in the street over four hundred feet away.

Well in happier news my raised-from-a-seedling, Angraecum sesquipedale, looks like it will bloom for the first time this year (fingers crossed). I've had it so long in a wicker basket that the basket is coming apart. It had a bud last year, not nearly this advanced, that turned yellow and aborted. Also known as Darwin's orchid and Star of Bethlehem orchid, it looks like it's pretty much on time. Check out the very long nectary. It started out like a giant curl and is slowly dropping down. It has an interesting history if you are interested. http://wallacefund.info/darwin-and-wallaces-predictions-come-true-0

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 23, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9365542

I need to go out and look for my Angraecum sesquipedale. It should be blooming about now but I've seen nothing.

I've been busy putting some of my orchid pics on the Tampa Orchid Club web site. It can be accessed here: http://tampaorchidclub.shutterfly.com/pictures/308 What do you think?

Jim
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9365553

Oooooooooooooo La La...each one is prettier than the one before or next.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9365593

Yes indeed they are beauties, Jim.

This is another NOID Oncidium starting to bloom that must be version of Onc. ornithorhyncum. I hung the NOID Tol. next to it for comparison. I'll take photos again when it is fully open.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9365605

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but Ascocenda Udomchai Beauty is now cinnamon. I have four Vandas in bloom now and several to go. Vanda Manuvadee x Fuch's Delight (my big blue) is supposed to be fragrant but I've never smelled a scent until this year. This year it has a light floral scent like a Spring garden. Vanda denisoniana x Ascocenda Suksamran Spot on the other hand smells up the whole end of the greenhut (in a good way).

I have issues with folks who have issues with Vandas that don't have flowers like dinner plates. What's with that? So many gorgeous colors and scented crosses with twisty flowers are dissed. Okay, I feel better now. :)

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 23, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9365611

Glad you got that out Laurel, LOL! I have all sorts of vandas (still hanging in the garage; I don't trust the weatherman) of many shapes and colors. The dinner plate ones are fun but there are so many small ones, fragrant ones, oddly-colored ones, etc. Chapman had one that was almost a dove gray when we were there and I really wish I could have bought it, but it was part of his breeding stock. My second vanda that was in spike is about to open so expect some photos in a few days.

I like the color mix in your Oncidium; very pretty and happy looking!

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9365623

Thanks, Melanie. I should have come down from the soap box long enough to post the picture. (embarrassed grin here)

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 23, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9365648

Fantastic photography on your new page, Jim. Every one is lovely.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9366198

I'm about to get ready for midnight mass. I'm singing in the choir and playing in the bell choir as well. I expect it to be a long but glorious night. I wish all of you a Merry Christmas filled with love, joy and happiness. Above all, keep safe.

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 24, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9366458

Merry Christmas to all

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2012
10:13 PM

Post #9366488

Merry Christmas everyone!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9366575

I got a deep purple NOID Den for a Christmas gift. I chuckled & told my cousin this may be the only Den I ever see actually blooming. She did good & got one with 1 open flower and many buds on 2 stalks.

Wishing everyone Many Glorious Blooms this Season!!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9366733

Don't forget to post photos, Jean.

I think Jim said he was singing and ringing a bunch today as well as last night. Lucky he won't have to use his voice when he "talks" to us.

We need to break these threads earlier in the month. All the photos make it really slow. Bet it's murder for people with dial up and older computers.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 25, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9367207

Nothing new just the same 2 paphs for me flowering.

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy         

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 26, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9367256

Bree, Who needs new when you have those 2 beauties!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9367405

I agree with Tommy. Your slippers are amazing.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9367621

I third that.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9368457

The weather people are calling for frost tonight so the orchids are tucked under their blankies again. Except the vandas which got moved inside. Speaking of vandas...V. coerulea x coerulea finally opened a couple of blooms.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9368484

I like that Vanda, Melanie. good one!

I haven' heard anything about frost tonight. I had better check to be sure.

Jim

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9368606

We're under a light freeze warning here. Cids have been inside "somewhere"
Buds on Cym. Sara Jean Ice Cacade, Rhynchostylis gigantea Peach Something, can't tell if it's "Sorbet" or Sherbert, and Lc Jungle Eyes has a spike just forming,as well as a few of the Brassavola's. Just hope I can keep them happy enough to bloom and not blast...in the mean time I'm sitting here filling hot water jugs for the greenhouse.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9368643

I sympathize, MJ. I've got one cattleya that's had buds for weeks now. I keep bringing it inside when it's cold and then taking it back out when it's warm. The poor thing is probably confused - but I hope it blooms and doesn't get mad at me instead. One of the buds has a tiny slit where I can see the purple coming through so I'm staying optimistic. Getting the plants to rebloom always feels like victory for me, LOL!

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9368712

I'm right there with you two, although we won't get as cold, I hope. Mid-40's is predicted.

I've got a huge collection of water jugs that I've been schlepping around all day, keeping them in the sun to get warm. They're all tucked away under blankets with all the orchids, and my veggie plants as well.

I have at least 7 phals with spikes as well as a couple of brassavolas and one of my catts as well.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9369210

Well, all the orchids are back out and uncovered. I wanted to get them out of the garage so they can get some of the rain we're expecting. The good thing about rearranging them is I think I have room for more, ha ha ha! Speaking of more, there's an orchid show Jan 4-5 in Sarasota that I'll be attending. Anyone else going?

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9369228

Two new species of orchids were found in Cuba. I like the encyclia the best but it's hard to tell what the other one looks like besides the bloom. I'd like to see the whole plant. http://news.yahoo.com/caribbean-beauties-two-orchid-species-found-194619344.html

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9369230

Absolutely! I've got a date with a girlfriend to have coffee and go to the show late morning-ish on Saturday. btw, it is the 5th and 6th, Saturday and Sunday. It's a nice little show, in a venerable old building. Here's the link http://www.sarasotaorchidsociety.org/orchid_shows_events/2012/2012_show.html D-mail me if you'd like to meet up? It would be great to put a face to your name, since I sadly missed the Apopka trip.

We're getting some light rain already, but at least it is still pretty nice and warm.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9369247

Thanks for the correction and the link. I'm not sure what day I'll be going on yet - depends who is coming with me.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9369918

Lc. White Spark 'Panda' is a first time bloomer for me. I picked it up during the last Apopka trip at Krull - Smith. I has two, perhaps three spikes and several buds. More to come on this one.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9369946

Another beautiful bloom. How did I miss that plant????

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9369969

Jim, someone came in with that plant to our November meeting and it won Member's Choice. Really a beautiful orchid!

Melanie

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 29, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9369976

very pretty, love to see another photo when its open fully.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 29, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9370165

I have a C. 'White spark Panda' on life support. I bought it two years ago, in bloom, but I over-potted it...Sigh. It is still alive, but I may not live long enough to ever see it bloom again. All part of the learning process.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9371505

A big happy new year to one and all. Above all, stay safe!!

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9371605

Yes, also wishing all of you a very happy and healthy year to come. We have had a house full of family and guests since last Friday. Some of our company will stay on through this coming weekend. Been a little busy to say the least but having lots of fun. After tomorrow we will move the party to our cottage in N. GA.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 31, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9371721

Happy New Year everyone.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9371768

!!~~^^**"Happy New Year"**^^~~!!

May we all enjoy masses of orchids of every shape and size in 2013!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9372098

Wow, where did the year go? The older I get, the faster time flies. Thanks to all who posted or followed along. I hope we all learned something about orchids and enjoyed the experience. Please join me at our new January thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292454/

Jim

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America