Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Seed offer for Ted's Pink Currant

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 12, Views: 146
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 1, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9346974

Since I discovered it here at DG I told Ted that I'd make a seed offer for it here and he was delighted.

But I also make a large seed offer elsewhere so asked Nancy Ruhl if she would do it and she ASAP accepted.I told her I'd do a post first post and then turn it over to her, BUT my computer blew a transistor the Sunday evening before Veterans day and I've been offline until yesterday and now getting to know my new computer and software.

At Tville I had asked for volunteers to grow out the few seeds I got from Ted when he sent me smusched up fruits in a baggie and I fermented them, and Nancy also got seeds from Ted and sent me two batches, and the three folks who signed up at Tville also sent me some.

So when Nancy agreed I sent her back the seeds from the first batch she sent me and gave her my phone number if she had any questions, and I didn't hear back but assume she got the seeds .

To review, it's the only pink currant I know of. Tim Peters bred one many years ago but no seeds still around that I know of.

Hopefully Nancy will see this thread and tell you how to get the seeds from her. If i don't see her responding I'll PM her at Tville and let her know it's here. She'll also tell you that the seeds are small and perhaps give youj some tips about the best way to germinate them as one would any currant varieties.

OK, back to figure out some things about my new computer/software.

Carolyn
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

December 2, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9347354

Carolyn, so glad you are up and running with your new computer. Have missed your posts.

I have received the seeds which you sent back. They are available to folks who are interested. Just send me a d mail.

This is a very plentiful pink currant that have a wonderful tomato tang. Most didn't make it to the house, but they would be wonderful on a salad. Very disease resistant. I didn't note personally how many they produced during the hot part of this tomato growing season, but they probably didn't slow down that much, being from Florida.

Earlier discussion on this tomato began with these posts.
Post #8836925, Post #9249027
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

December 2, 2012
3:17 AM

Post #9347355

This is a picture of Ted's pink currant from my garden.

Thumbnail by nancyruhl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9347492

Here are the links directly to the threads Nancy listed.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223836/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276508/

I didn't find an option to search by post number in advanced search and had to get to them another way.

I like current tomatoes and would definitely like to grow these.
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

December 2, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9347656

Thanks, Doug9345, I could figure out to do what you did. Nancy
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 4, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9349595

I e-mailed Ted last night to tell him this thread was here and he responded so I do hope we see more activity here in terms of those who are interested in getting the seeds from Nancy.

Maybe some of you are PMing her but I don't know that and more importantly Ted doesn't either, so why not simply post and say that you PMed Nancy for seeds, and then everyone will know what the responses look like.

Carolyn
Patti1957
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9349737

Sent Nancy a d-mail.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9349846

I D-mailed Nancy requesting seeds.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9349916

I D-mailed Nancy
mgsid
Sumner, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9349974

I just sent Nancy a D-mail requesting seeds.
zinniared
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9350024

Sending d mail.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9350042

Wow, I remember the first thread on these. I didn't realize it had gone this far. Very exciting, sending a dmail.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 5, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9350743

I just posted in the other thread here that's active, the background on this variety, so if interested, please look there.

Carolyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America