Has anyone made orange vinegar for cleaning?

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

I made this a couple of months ago. It has been sitting on the counter in a big jar. It now has layers of white scum
in it.Is this just what is called "mother" (starter)?? Not sure what to do? Strain it out and use vinegar or what??
Any suggestions or thought would be appreciated.

Sylvia

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I saved a recipe for this idea for use as a disinfectant. The article used it for use in a chicken pen.
I am making some right now but it is not as aged as yours is.

I'm no help with your question but hope you find the answer. May I ask what you will be using it for?

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

I.m thinkin I'll use it in a spray bottle for kitchen counters, laminate floors don't know what else.

Thanks ~ I was curious. It ought to smell wonderful.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Would y'all share the recipe? I love using vinegar..Thanks..

Larkie

Hi Larkie ~ not much of a recipe but this was from the link I found

Quoting:
Making the citrus cleaner is very easy. Simply keep the peels covered with distilled vinegar and let it extract for about three months. During the harsher winters in Michigan, Clementine oranges come on the market and are a favorite of mine. As I eat the oranges, I throw the leavings into a 3-gallon glass jar, adding vinegar as needed to cover peels. By spring, it is ready for use. I strain the liquid into a spray bottle to apply
from here Moonlight Mile Herb Farm

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Kristi,
Figured it was something on this order.. Will give it a try..Wonder how it would do to bring to a boil and let cool & get infused a little faster? lol.. May try that too.

Larkie

Now, now ~ don't run through life in such a hurry. lol Besides it would be ready for spring cleaning season.

I am actually including using rinds from other citrus as well. We'll see...

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

lol..

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I would think the scum is Mother and now that you have it you should be able to make your own vinegar!

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

I googled instructions for making vinegar. Way too time consuming when I buy excellent types of vinegar at bargain stores,........on second though,I might try making some sherry wine vinegar, rarely find that at a good price.....Thank's for your input!

AHhh Mother! She can do the cleaning ~ lol Will it hurt to leave it in the mix?

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

What I read as I googled vinegar instructions was to strain it out.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Eventually a good 'Mother' will become a thick firm gel. When it gets that good, I cut it in pieces to innoculate fresh apple peels in spring water for apple cider vinegar. It should work the same way in a citrus base.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Just thought I'll throw this in here- on citrus.
I used a spray paint can that had a bad nozzle- so, paint all over my fingers. Figured I'd be wearing that a few days. An hour later I started eating an orange, and the orange skin oil dissolved all the dried spray paint off my fingers.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

OMG! Good to know.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I made some and drained it off the orange peels into a clean spray bottle. The longer it sits the darker it gets....Is that suppose to happen? When I leave the peels in the original bottle it stays clear? What do you think this is?

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Did you use white vinegar? That's what I used. Mine is a little darker than it was but not brown.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Yes I used white vinegar. I sliced the oranges about 1/8th inch strips and filled a qt bottle totally full with them and them filled with white vinegar. I set it in the sun for about a week and then filled my sprayer about 3 weeks ago. Maybe it is because It was about 5 very large oranges I sliced so thin. Maybe there is more orange oil in mine is why it is getting so dark as it sits. I didn't dry the peels first either did you? It sure smeells good but I haven't used it yet. I have some jars of chopped dried orange peels I filled with vodka and put in the sun. I am suppose to squeeze the alcohol and oil out then leave it in a open container for the alcohol to evaporate and the results is suppose to be pure orange oil. I don't think I will do that again as the orange oil I didn't know only keeps about 6 months which makes it kind of expensive to not have a longer shelf life. My late DH worked in an asphalt plant and he would bring home 5 gallons of orange oil and we would soak he clothes and it would remove the asphalt.

Later he worked at a wax company and we would was his clothes in the orange hand cleaner in the big containers from walmart and it would remove the wax and oil stains from his clothes. It works really well to remove greasy food stains from clothes also.

Maybe if I store the orange peels in the vodka till I really need it it won't go bad as it is basically pickled?? lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images