Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: After Stump Grinding

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 2, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Beepal
South Orange, NJ

December 2, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9347662

Sandy took out two beautiful 60-foot maple trees in our back yard. With one of them we had the stump ground, so its now a heap of mulch. I would like to plant a new tree in the same location. What do I need to do to prepare the spot where the stump has been ground. Should I incorporate the grindings, or remove them and replace with top soil?

Thanks,
Beepal
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9349349

My county/parish agent told me to set the shavings aside for one year before using. I put them in old plastic garbage cans. They take too much of the nitrogen out of the soil and should not be used immediately after cutting.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9356929

Remove most of the sawdust from the grinding. No need to be fanatical about it, though.
If you have extra soil anywhere in your yard it is better to use the same soil rather than bringing in something different.
If you have to import soil then try to find something that is as similar as possible to the soil that is there, and blend it with the surrounding soil. There should be a gradual transition from existing to imported soil.
Make sure you add some fertilizer that contains nitrogen (first number on the label) to make up for the nitrogen the remaining sawdust will need as it decomposes.
If you end up with a mix that includes up to 25% sawdust it should be OK.
Make a bit of a mound. As the sawdust decomposes it will sink, and the fluffing that happens when you import and blend the new soil will settle, too. You do not want the new tree to end up in a low spot.

Monitor the new tree and stay on top of its fertilizer needs, since some of the fertilizer is going to support the decomposer organisms that are so thoughtfully working on the sawdust for you.

To compost the sawdust the fastest add nitrogen and keep the sawdust in a pile. You can contain the pile with some material that breathes, plastic garbage cans are not very good. Turn the pile occasionally so oxygen gets into it and it stays about as damp as a well wrung out sponge. Good nitrogen sources include lawn clippings or fertilizer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America