-
AuthorContent
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9347774

I have wanted a vitamix for awhile now, especially the ones that make hot soup. They are really out of my price range, however, QVC has them today for 5 easy pays and free shipping. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on them and how they work? I could buy alot of fabric and daylilies for just one vitamix, on the other hand, Im telling myself its for my health. Ill watch a couple more presentations today, and then decide. They make it look so wonderful.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9347964

Our local Costco often has a person who is miked and hawking Vitamix. I have watched the demos and don't understand the product. Why would one prefer to have their food, raw or cooked, predigested by a machine even if it then adds heat or cold? I vote on spending the money on fabric and daylilies. Ultimately your food choices determine your health outcome way more than the machines or even the recipes you use to prepare them.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9348000

Well, one thing is for sure, if you dont drink smoothies or like to juice, it would not be worth it, to me at least.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9348014

I've never been a fan of juicing. The whole vegetable is the way to go. I traded the juicer for a yogurt make back in the seventies and then got rid of the yogurt maker when I discovered a six pack cooler made more yogurt just as well as the yogurt maker. I now make several gallons of yogurt a month and never juice. :) You don't need a Vitamix to make a smoothie either.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9348032

Im guessing just asking the question, deep down I knew I wouldnt get it. If you have to ask, you really dont want it. As far as the smoothies, Ive never tasted ones that are so smooth ( no pun intended). If I want one that bad, Ill go to planet smoothie. As far as the whole fruit or veggie, that seems to be vitamix's claim to fame. You throw in the whole fruit and veggies and it somehow gets them smooth. Thats why they push it as so much healthier. I find it hard to believe that putting in whole fruits doesnt make things bitter, no matter how healthy it is.
Citrus pith is citrus pith in my mind, thats kinda why I was hoping someone had one, just to get the real scoop.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9348257

I have a Vitamix and I love it. I use it for smoothies, juicing, and lots of other things. Blip, blip and you have a great ham salad. But yes, they are expensive, and I wouldn't get one unless you want to do juicing.

It's a lifetime investment, though, they are guaranteed for life, and they stand behind it. When I had something go, I forget what, I got the replacement in days. I bet I've had mine 20 years or more. I use it about twice a week.

Kids love the milkshakes it makes. I grow some herbs and veggies like spinach leaves in the window all year round to add to the juices.

I don't put in the whole fruit, I do cut out the pith. Mainly I do veggies, though.
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9349082

My mother loved the Vitamix. It's a quality product for the serious cook. You can even pulverize wheat into flour in a Vitamix. She used to make soups in it all the time.

Do I have one? No. But now that they have a model which fits under the counter, I'm seriously considering it. I used to have a commercial blender that was a fake Vitamix, and I loved that thing! I find the Cuisinart highly inferior and only bought one when my commercial blender finally died.

The only thing holding me back is that I don't cook as much as I used to. But I was just pureeing some white bean soup for tonight, and thinking, "with a Vitamix this soup would be absolutely smooth..."

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9353940

I saw the vita mix on QVC today too. I was decorating the Christmas tree and decided to watch David. That little thing is so cute in all of it's pretty colors. My old tall one that will not fit under the counter is still one of my favorite kitchen tools. I have the grain grinder too. You have to have it to do the hard grains and I noticed they didn't advertise that part of it, so maybe the small one doesn't have the grain tool. We use that to make our own oat flour and sometimes wheat flour. Mainly, though, we love our vita mix for smoothies and soups of all kinds. Just like the Vita Mix guy says, just toss in whatever you have. We raise lots of fruit here and frozen fruit is great for the smoothies. Frozen things make them thicker. As for soups, I make the base in the vita mix but I pour the contents into a pot or microwave to heat. I would say we use ours at least three times a week.
BARHARBOR
Bar Harbor, ME

March 16, 2014
5:11 PM

Post #9791001

A little parsley and watermelon smoothie sounds good right now!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2014
8:26 PM

Post #9800854

Holding off 'til I have no teeth. I consider myself a pretty serious cook and prefer a variety of textures in the foods I make whether it be smoothies or salads/salsas. One size would not fit all.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2014
3:35 PM

Post #9803584

One thing i love to do, is puree the butts of asparagus that you thought weren't usable. After I brake them at the tender place, I cook them in a small amount of water for dinner. Do not throw away that water. ( Oh, and I cook them in a small frying pan that is just big enough to hold them laying down.
After dinner, I throw in those butts into the saved water cutting off only those white ends, or maybe not. You might need more water. Cook until tender. Watch that they don't boil down to No water. Cool and puree in the vita mix. Now make cream of asparagus soup.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2014
3:40 AM

Post #9818498

We are on our second VitaMix and just love it...

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2014
8:49 AM

Post #9819610

We have lots of berries, apples and pears here. After I juice and can the berry juice, I have the perfect and free ingredient to make yummy smoothies. A fruit smoothie and a piece of homemade toast is a breakfast regular here. Especially when I am so tired of eggs those chickens just keep laying.
I bought the newest top section at Costco at a good price. Now I have three...the new short one, the tall one and the dry grain one.
Depsi...what is your favorite way to use your Vita Mix?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America