Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 2, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9347779

I just got a couple of Amaryllis gift box sets, I found a clay pot and put it in it and got some potting soil and got it under a flourescent bulb, I was going to water it but the potting soil I put it in was in the back yard and damp but not soggy so I thought I would wait for awhile before watering. I got one the package says Minerva but as I have read that sometimes they are not the same flower that is on the package. I am not going to pot the other up until I see what this one does. And I also have some Paperwhites too.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 2, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9348178

We need to know MORE about the soil it's in. It's needs a well drained mix. I use a good potting soil cut with 50% perlite. They need BRIGHT light as well. can you post photos? More info is needed.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 2, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9348186

It is Miracle-Gro potting soil, I had it out back and it was damp so I decided to wait before watering. The light is about 8 in. above the bulb. Here is the picture.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 2, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9348195

Potting SOIL? too heavy IMHO. Potting MIX with some added perlite would be better.
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9348209

My favorite go-to, pre-packaged mix is Miracle Gro's Moisture Control. Once you are comfortable and more knowledgeable about soils and your plants, it's better to start mixing your own according to your watering style. Best of luck with your new plants!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 2, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9348222

I don't know exactly what kind of Miracle-Gro it was because I threw away the bag, I really can't do much because I am on a 30 day lay off at my job, the temps can work for 1 year and we have to have 30 days off. And Christmastime is not the best time of the year to have it off. I did all that the directions told me except watering, like I said it was already damp, I put the bulb in and firmed it around it and made sure that it was firmly rooted in there. Now here comes the part I really hate, PATIENCE. I don't have the room or the cash to put more light on it unless I buy another flourescent bulb to put in the other lamp. Do you think I should put another light on it? I have a light that instead of being culique it is the long ones. Do you think that would be wise?
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9348245

If you have a western or southern exposure, this ought to be fine. You'd be surprised by how easily these bulbs sprout. The key is not only the sunlight, but also the warmer temperatures which trigger growth. You did the right thing by not watering if your potting mix was already wet. My only concerns would be to keep the temperature high enough and also to provide sufficient light, which should be met if you have the plant situated appropriately. All Miracle Gro products have fertilizer incorporated in them so you'll be OK there. Bulbs are surprisingly resilient.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 2, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9348259

There is no way I can put any warmth on it unless the stove is on, I don't have room to put it on the top of the fridge and the pellet stove is the only heat we have, I was wondering, would it be a good idea to wrap the top of the clay pot with saran wrap to concentrate the light on the bulb? I can't put it in the windowsill because it gets too cold. I can't think of any thing else to get warmth to it, that is the problem I have with growing winter flowers inside, not enough heat. Would it be better if I lower the light closer to the bulb?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 2, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9348272

It is going to be warm tomorrow and sunny, would it be a good idea to put the pot on the windowsill until it gets cooler and then put in on the desk under the light?
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9348304

I would not recommend placing plastic wrap. It would only encourage rot. If you don't mind waiting, then it's OK to just let nature take its course and the amaryllis will bloom when all conditions are right. The bulbs will send out new growth when they are ready. We had one in the store that grew out through its box (at a crazy angle) while none of the others have done so. I have since potted it and set it near a door where there is bright light but no full sun, and definitely no warmth. The goal is to get it more upright and from there... I have better control in my own home, but have chosen not to start the growth cycles of my amarillis' just yet since we haven't even entered winter! Choose a time 8 weeks from when you'd like to see the plant flower and then subject it to more light and heat. This is what will trigger growth.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

December 3, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9348964

I keep my mix LIGHT by cutting in equal parts of perlite with a potting mix like miracle grow or Pro mix (My favorite mix).
I sue the same mixture for a lot of my plants actually. Except the Orchids!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 3, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9348978

I took a paperwhite bulb and put it in the green vase with water and put it in a cool dark place so it can grow roots, lets see what happens.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 3, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9349067

This is one of the paperwhite bulbs that the friend gave me, does this set up look ok? It does not have any roots and i was just wondering how long it would take to grow some, I did not have any stones or rocks to put in the bottom, but it is in there snug and tight. I was thinking it might be a good idea to use the alcohol trick so they don't fall over, providing they grow that big and tall. The water is just touching the basal plate so hopefully in a few days I will see some roots.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9349076

err, what is the alcohol trick?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 3, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9349084

You put some alcohol in the water and the stems don't get so long, you still have the big, beautiful blooms but the stems don't get so tall so you don't have to tie them up so they don't flop over.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 3, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9349121

I am so stupid and blind sometimes, my Amaryllis IS growing, I didn't realize it, here is a before and now picture.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9349126

Thanks for clueing me in. I had never heard of that trick before.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 3, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9349142

I never either, I may try it, the kit came with three bulbs, so if this one fails, I have 2 more paperwhites and a large Amaryllis bulb.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9349149

Ive done that bulb-in-a-vase thing before and it worked quite well. I had a specially designed vase called a bulb vase but yours looks like it will work fine. The water does not have to be touching the bottom of the bulb for it to work. It will reach for the water.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 3, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9349160

Should I empty some of the water or just leave it the way it is?
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9349212

I was just concerned that if it touches, capillary action may make the water come up the sides and soak the bulb causing rot. Just watch for that. It will only be a couple days before the roots reach out and you wont have to worry about that. charcoal pieces in the water help to keep it from getting nasty if you have some around.
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9349434

There is a forum here on DG specifically about amaryllis and another about bulbs. May want to browse through them for some advice, too.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 4, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9349661

I can't get on those pages, you have to pay for those and money is tight. My Amaryllis is getting greener, and the sprout on the Paperwhite is getting greener too, and there is a very small root starting on the Paperwhite already. Patience is SO HARD to do for me. But all of the Amaryllis is getting greener. I put the other Amaryllis bulb and the other Paperwhites in the bedroom, it is cool in there and I think they will be alright, like I said the fridge has apples in it.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 7, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9352695

Does this small crack in the top of my Amaryllis bud mean what I think it does? The leaves on the other side has gotten taller too. It has what looks like cracks in the top part of the bud, does that mean its going to get taller soon? I don't have much patience, but I have gotten results.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 9, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9353856

I decided to get the other Amaryllis out and rehydrate the roots and plant them, how long should I keep the roots in the water? That is why I have it in the green vase, it can get water without gettting the root wet. This is the Red Lion although right now it looks like the white lion,lol! This is the set up for the moment, does it look alright to you?

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 11, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9355866

I am worried about my Amaryllis, it has two red patches one on each side, is that something to be worried about?

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9356245

No, you dont need to worry about the red, mine have had a hint of red also.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 13, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9357260

Ok thanks jasmnesmom, I was just worried, I have gotten them to get growing I don't want to do anything to mess them up, I put them in the windowsill during the day and putting it on the desk at night. My Paperwhites are really doing well.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9357895

It's amazing once they start growing, I swear they shoot up inches over night !!!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 14, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9358412

The first is of course the Paperwhites, as you can see they are doing quite well under the fluorescent light, and the second is the second Amaryllis that I planted, it has been in the window for the past couple of days and I think it likes it there. The other Amaryllis has been there too, but it does not seem to have done anything. On the second one it is showing more greenery, I think it might be blooming at Christmastime, it is the Red Lion.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 16, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9359763

updated photos as of 12/16/2012

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 24, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9366218

The first one is the Paperwhites, they have now started blooming, not crazy about the scent but my hubby likes it, the second is the Amaryllis, it has not gotten a slit in the bud, does that mean what I think it does? My friend next door gave me a Poinsetta for a present going to see how long I can keep it alive and growing. If you get close to the amaryllis bud you can see some red and the veins in the bud itself are pretty, will the bud turn red before it opens or will it just split open all of a sudden? The paperwhites opened slowly but they are still blooming, they look good next to the poinsetta.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 26, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9368016

These are my Red Lion Amaryllis, they are getting really close, one question, does the main bud change color before it opens? They are starting to lean over so I am going to have to find something to prop it up with.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9368535

it'll be similar to the way the paperwhites bloomed.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 27, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9368627

I have been taking the Amaryllis out of the window and putting it on my computer desk, and putting it back in the next day, I don't want to freeze the plant and it is supposed to be really cold tonight. There is a storm window and the plant does not touch the cold glass, do you think it will be ok to leave it in there?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 27, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9368724

The second scape is starting to open before the first one is, is that normal?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 28, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9369112

Yippee! The first flower scape is now opening at the same time as the second one! I thought I would take a pic and let you see.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 1, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9372129

This is what I found when I woke up this morning, what a beautiful way to greet the new year! I am definitly going to try my best to have these blooming again next year. Are these going to open up any more?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 19, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9390048

I found this when I woke up, now I am kinda bummed out, I thought I could save this one to bloom at Christmas. Is there anything I can do for it? I don't want to have to throw it away. Do I just leave it be?

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9390240

is that the amaryllis that had those spots a little while back emptyeyes?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 19, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9390263

No, this is the one that grew and bloomed.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9390364

oh, just curious about what ended up happening to the other one.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 19, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9390463

Threw it away.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 27, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9735306

This is the one that I got on Black Friday in 2013, I can not find out what the name is, it is beautiful but it would have been nice if it had been Apple Blossom like it was supposed to be. I got another one from a friend for Christmas and it also says Apple Blossom lets wait and see what color this one actually is. If there is anyone who can tell me what this one's name is I would be grateful. The second picture is a close up of the bloom, maybe that would help identify it.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 23, 2014
11:39 AM

Post #9796139

The Amaryllis has finished blooming and I cut the stems down, the leaves were growing quite tall and now they have started drooping and turning brown and dying. Is that normal? I was wondering if I should just cut them and the neck off and repot them, do you think that would lhelp? They have enough water I just checked and watered them last night, bottom watered not top. Help!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

March 29, 2014
10:08 AM

Post #9800480

I just made a homemade contraption to help the amaryllis leaves stay as upright as possible, I took a dowel rod that I cut in half when the stems were growing and a wire coat hanger that my hubby cut in half and put them on opposite sides of the bulb and then tied a very soft tie around that and put two pieces of tape on the dowel rods (not touching the leaves) to keep it from slipping, I put the plant in the window and it layed down, it seems to like the flourescent lamp better, so this is what I came up with, tell me how you like my idea?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2014
3:55 PM

Post #9804342

I would leave them on, as the plant might be drawing nutrients out and may even regrow the leaves. One of mine has done that before, but it has yet to bloom. I bought it as a bloomable bulb, but it grew thin tiny leaves, and no stalk. 3 years later it is a bulb smaller than a garlic bulb, which concerns me.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 21, 2014
7:14 AM

Post #9817759

I have had mine in the picture window since it started getting warmer and the one that has only the one leaf is growing another one! The other one is still alive, the leaves are not dying like they were before but they are not growing any more yet. I was doing what my hubby said, I was obsessing over them. So I look at them every once in awhile and water them when they need it, otherwise I leave them alone.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 22, 2014
5:44 PM

Post #9819182

I was wrong, it is growing 2 leaves! Here is the picture. It is still too cold at night to put them out to stay, so they are going to stay in the picture window.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2014
2:21 PM

Post #9819832

The most vigorous bulb I have has 7 long leaves on it. It and the others are outside now, and have been for a while. The weather predicts lows to 39(F) and around there. Should I bring them inside?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America